Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Abbey1991
    • By Abbey1991 9th May 17, 5:17 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Abbey1991
    0 WOW
    DVDs set off security alarms
    • 9th May 17, 5:17 PM
    0 WOW
    DVDs set off security alarms 9th May 17 at 5:17 PM
    Managed to find a box set that I had been looking for in a secondhand shop. It's a national chain but was located in a slightly dodgy area.

Since then I have managed to set off the security alarms in both M&S and Debenhams by having these DVDs in my bag.

How do I resolve this?! I don't think it's something that the secondhand shop activated or can take off.
Page 1
    • qazitory
    • By qazitory 9th May 17, 10:36 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 169 Thanks
    qazitory
    • 9th May 17, 10:36 PM
    • 9th May 17, 10:36 PM
    Don't carry the DVDs around with you?
    Quidco Earnings (since Dec 06): 467.75
    • Pun
    • By Pun 11th May 17, 12:39 AM
    • 369 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Pun
    • 11th May 17, 12:39 AM
    • 11th May 17, 12:39 AM
    What does it matter? You don't need to cart them around, do you?
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 11th May 17, 6:59 AM
    • 1,390 Posts
    • 1,748 Thanks
    unforeseen
    • 11th May 17, 6:59 AM
    • 11th May 17, 6:59 AM
    Sounds like the secondhand shop sold stolen items.
    • Abbey1991
    • By Abbey1991 11th May 17, 4:54 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Abbey1991
    • 11th May 17, 4:54 PM
    • 11th May 17, 4:54 PM
    I was hoping for a solution involving vinegar and freezers or something

If they were previously stolen, can I get in trouble for having them in my bag? The reason I carry them around is to watch on my laptop when I travel by train.

I don't even think M&S and Debenhams sell DVDs so maybe something is wrong in how their alarms are programmed.
    • rach_k
    • By rach_k 11th May 17, 6:55 PM
    • 876 Posts
    • 1,479 Thanks
    rach_k
    • 11th May 17, 6:55 PM
    • 11th May 17, 6:55 PM
    Have a good look in the boxes, inside the cardboard sleeve etc. Some security guards like to get creative with where they hide security tags to prevent thieves just pulling them off in the shop. If it's one of the stick on types, you may be able to pull it off, although if it's a super sticky one it may damage the surface. Perhaps that won't matter too much?
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 11th May 17, 7:09 PM
    • 2,940 Posts
    • 4,242 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    • 11th May 17, 7:09 PM
    • 11th May 17, 7:09 PM
    Do you take them out with you when you go shopping?

Surely once you have them at home that's the end of the worry.
    • Abbey1991
    • By Abbey1991 11th May 17, 9:43 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Abbey1991
    • 11th May 17, 9:43 PM
    • 11th May 17, 9:43 PM
    Do you take them out with you when you go shopping?

Surely once you have them at home that's the end of the worry.
    Originally posted by powerful_Rogue
    Have been watching them on my laptop on the train. And then sometimes going into shops near stations.
    • Pun
    • By Pun 11th May 17, 11:03 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Pun
    • 11th May 17, 11:03 PM
    • 11th May 17, 11:03 PM
    Have been watching them on my laptop on the train. And then sometimes going into shops near stations.
    Originally posted by Abbey1991
    Ah - see the problem! Next time you set off an alarm, ask the shop to explain why something they don't even sell is creating an issue for you which you find embarrassing and inconvenient. It shouldn't be happening...
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 12th May 17, 8:47 AM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 3,985 Thanks
    dlusman
    Ah - see the problem! Next time you set off an alarm, ask the shop to explain why something they don't even sell is creating an issue for you which you find embarrassing and inconvenient. It shouldn't be happening...
    Originally posted by Pun
    They may not sell the particular product - but security devices may be the same. It isnt the stores fault that the OP is carrying around something which still has a tag attached
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 12th May 17, 9:09 AM
    • 2,041 Posts
    • 3,985 Thanks
    dlusman
    If you cannot find the security device in the box - have you tried just taking the DVDs without the box ( or putting them in a different box ? )
    • Pun
    • By Pun 12th May 17, 4:54 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Pun
    They may not sell the particular product - but security devices may be the same. It isnt the stores fault that the OP is carrying around something which still has a tag attached
    Originally posted by dlusman
    No, but they may be able to help solve the problem.
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 12th May 17, 5:47 PM
    • 1,390 Posts
    • 1,748 Thanks
    unforeseen
    I would think that asking any store to disable a security feature on something they didn't sell would be refused on the basis that they are not in a position to verify its provenance. For all they know, you are a shoplifter who is trying to 'legitimise' their booty.

Before someone says a thief would not be so stupid then all I can say is don't you believe it.
    • Pun
    • By Pun 12th May 17, 7:31 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 426 Thanks
    Pun
    I would think that asking any store to disable a security feature on something they didn't sell would be refused on the basis that they are not in a position to verify its provenance. For all they know, you are a shoplifter who is trying to 'legitimise' their booty.

Before someone says a thief would not be so stupid then all I can say is don't you believe it.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    On the contrary - see https://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2287388-To-be-sick-of-setting-off-shop-alarms
    • esuhl
    • By esuhl 12th May 17, 11:43 PM
    • 7,238 Posts
    • 5,138 Thanks
    esuhl
    Can you go into a shop where they know you, explain that you bought this DVD and it's setting off alarms, and ask them to deactivate it for you?
    • robin58
    • By robin58 13th May 17, 1:34 AM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 1,320 Thanks
    robin58
    It's basically a sticker which reacts to a field created by the detector.

I have even set off a detector in Boots by a portable hard drive I had just bought in Sainsburys.

Just remove the sticker.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 13th May 17, 8:08 AM
    • 1,390 Posts
    • 1,748 Thanks
    unforeseen
    That is reacting to a known widespread problem with one particular type of item
    • Peter999
    • By Peter999 13th May 17, 8:24 AM
    • 461 Posts
    • 484 Thanks
    Peter999
    If this was happening to me, I would do one of the following :

1. Rip the DVDs directly onto the laptop. Advantage - don't have to carry the DVDs and uses less battery.

2. Just take the DVDs out of the cases and put them into either sleeves or one of the poundshop things that will hold about 30 DVDs.

The security device will not be on the DVD itself, only the cases.
    • Lumstorm
    • By Lumstorm 19th May 17, 1:04 AM
    • 185 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    Lumstorm
    Just remove the security sticker in the box I used to set off alarms quite often with DVD's I bought from Amazon.com if I got hit for tax and collected from the sorting office. I would set off shop alarms with the security device in the box so I learned to avoid going to shops when picking up American DVD's. My Japanese retailers never have these devices so I'm safe with stuff from Japan.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,508Posts Today

6,755Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin