Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • malcbwest
    • By malcbwest 9th May 17, 4:32 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 4Thanks
    malcbwest
    SmartPV for Solar Panels
    • 9th May 17, 4:32 PM
    SmartPV for Solar Panels 9th May 17 at 4:32 PM
    I have existing panels (since 2011) and had a knock on the door from someone saying I could generate an additional 25% by installing a SmartPV onto my inverter.

Is this just another way for solar installers to make money from another source or is this legitimate. No idea of cost (they said it would repay in 6 months) and have a no obligation appointment on Friday.
Page 1
    • ajbell
    • By ajbell 9th May 17, 4:43 PM
    • 896 Posts
    • 2,974 Thanks
    ajbell
    • 9th May 17, 4:43 PM
    • 9th May 17, 4:43 PM
    It just monitors what's available and let's you know when you have watts to spare.
    4kWp, South facing, 16 x phono solar panels, Solis inverter, Lincolnshire.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 9th May 17, 8:38 PM
    • 11,928 Posts
    • 10,326 Thanks
    jimjames
    • 9th May 17, 8:38 PM
    • 9th May 17, 8:38 PM
    How can any device generate more electricity than the solar panels already do? Other than something that cuts shading or the like
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th May 17, 9:22 PM
    • 5,678 Posts
    • 9,680 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    • 9th May 17, 9:22 PM
    • 9th May 17, 9:22 PM
    How can any device generate more electricity than the solar panels already do? Other than something that cuts shading or the like
    Originally posted by jimjames
    ...... magic?
    Just 'call me Mart'. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Merlin139
    • By Merlin139 9th May 17, 9:55 PM
    • 4,213 Posts
    • 17,709 Thanks
    Merlin139
    • 9th May 17, 9:55 PM
    • 9th May 17, 9:55 PM
    Sounds similar to something that I was offered over a year ago.

Take a look at this thread.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5453777

I have spoken to my installer in the last 6 months on another matter and they again asked if I was interested in it.

I said when they can show me 2 systems very close to one another. One with the PV+ system and one without and they could show me the improvement then I would happily buy it. Till then I feel its not worth squat!
    • malcbwest
    • By malcbwest 17th May 17, 9:38 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    malcbwest
    • 17th May 17, 9:38 PM
    • 17th May 17, 9:38 PM
    Had a visit from sales rep since original post.
    These were his stats
    Generation baseline is 2500kw/h per year which equates to an performance increase 625kw/h, which yields a return of £14478 for reminder of FIT or a 12.5% ROI and not to mention 338tonnes of CO2.

The price? A small £3500! By the way, if I want to be part of their marketing they will offer me a £250 discount. Sounds a bit like double glazing tricks!

Various guarantees were mentioned including the lifetime of the inverter and the panels. I did ask what if they went out of business (like my installer did) and he said of course they wouldn't and there would be indemnities (no further information was provided on this).

Apparently they have a new product coming out later this year to save 50% of my energy bills.

Safe to say I am not signing up.
    • legoman62
    • By legoman62 17th May 17, 10:15 PM
    • 2,076 Posts
    • 10,537 Thanks
    legoman62
    • 17th May 17, 10:15 PM
    • 17th May 17, 10:15 PM

Apparently they have a new product coming out later this year to save 50% of my energy bills.
    Originally posted by malcbwest
    Yes, it's called a padlock and it fits on your gas meter.
    E Coast. 16 Sanyo Hit 250s.4kWp SMA 3.8kWp inverter. SW roof. 28° pitch.
    Minimal shade. Nov 2011 install. N.E Lincs Coast. Hybrid car
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 18th May 17, 6:57 AM
    • 5,678 Posts
    • 9,680 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    • 18th May 17, 6:57 AM
    • 18th May 17, 6:57 AM
    Had a visit from sales rep since original post.
    Originally posted by malcbwest
    Hiya. What was the product they were offering? Was it something new and magical, or 'just' an upgrade to a SolarEdge system?

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • tunnel
    • By tunnel 18th May 17, 6:35 PM
    • 2,494 Posts
    • 7,636 Thanks
    tunnel
    • 18th May 17, 6:35 PM
    • 18th May 17, 6:35 PM
    I had a call a couple of evenings back. Lovely woman who offered to sell me one of the thingy majiggers that add 20% to my generation.
    I was civil.....honest....until she hit me with the price then I kindly told her I'd researched their piece bit of kit and it was a complete waste of money, she then got a bit shirty so I told her to have sex and travel and not bother me again.
    Unluckily her number was withheld so I couldn't block her number with my CPR call blocker as I have a few friends who still insist on calling withheld
    2 kWp SEbE , 2kWp SSW & 2.5kWp NWbW.....in sunny North Derbyshire
    • malcbwest
    • By malcbwest 19th May 17, 8:34 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    malcbwest
    Hiya. What was the product they were offering? Was it something new and magical, or 'just' an upgrade to a SolarEdge system?
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    They didn't go into specifics or have any literature. This is the only thing I can find on the internet but even this is a bit vague smartpv.co.uk
    • smartn
    • By smartn 22nd May 17, 4:26 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    smartn
    Had the same visit myself today. As above no specifics or literature. Is it safe to say there is no miracle device that can increase my output by 25% like they are claiming?
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 22nd May 17, 5:57 PM
    • 5,678 Posts
    • 9,680 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Had the same visit myself today. As above no specifics or literature. Is it safe to say there is no miracle device that can increase my output by 25% like they are claiming?
    Originally posted by smartn
    The only possible thing I can think of is an upgrade to a SolarEdge system, but 25% is unlikely, more like 10%, and only then if there is a little shading.

Anything other than 'mucking about' with the panels, can't work, as there aren't enough losses between the panels and the TGM to give you a 25% increase. Most inverters are around 94%+ efficient (I have a small 92% model, plus 94% and 96% models), so no room there for 25%.

If two people have had visits, but still can't work out what's going on, then it all starts to smell rather fishy ..... actually that ship sailed long ago.

• Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 22nd May 17, 6:01 PM
    • 5,678 Posts
    • 9,680 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Might as well try to find out what it is, so have requested contact, got this:-

Thanks a bunch for filling that out. It means a lot to us, just like you do! We really appreciate you giving us a moment of your time today. Thanks for being you.
    ...... seriously ...... ?

• smartn
    • By smartn 23rd May 17, 11:34 AM
    • 291 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    smartn
    They called me back today. Keep talking about a guarantee of 25% increase. Want me to spend 30 minutes talking to someone which I have declined. Definitely sounds like they are looking at the inverter claiming that's where the savings can be made.

Have checked my inverter (Diehl 2100s) and I think it's about 94% efficient. I have no issues with shading. I'm struggling to see how they can improve output by more than few percentage points.
    Last edited by smartn; 23-05-2017 at 11:39 AM.
    • Pauline Leverett
    • By Pauline Leverett 26th May 17, 4:37 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Pauline Leverett
    So glad I found this thread. I too have had a doorstep caller followed by a phone call. As soon as the guy left my door I regretted giving him my number and, having had the phone call, I regret it even more. I love my solar panels (they're my contribution to the end of nuclear power!) but can't see any way that generation can increase by 25%. I expect they'll phone me back but I won't be accepting their offer.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,817Posts Today

6,606Users online

Martin's Twitter