Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 9th May 17, 4:03 PM
    • 698Posts
    • 1,159Thanks
    LABMAN
    Strictly Come Dancing 2017 thread
    • 9th May 17, 4:03 PM
    Strictly Come Dancing 2017 thread 9th May 17 at 4:03 PM
    As the new head judge (Shirley Ballas) has been announced today I thought it was an opportune excuse to start the 2017 SCD thread!
Page 132
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 6th Dec 17, 5:41 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    Have it your way. (But i don't think .66 (recurring) works with whole people)

But that means that almost a third of non-dancers/athletes have won too. So where the advantage?
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Davood is genuinely "pukka" which is why we kept voting for him, definitely the best of the "no previous" crowd, although I did hear a rumour that he did a bit of "dad" dancing at parties
    Originally posted by andygb
    Davood is comparatively unusual as an actor in that he came from a university background as opposed to entering the industry via drama school.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 6th Dec 17, 5:55 PM
    • 23,090 Posts
    • 59,784 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Hardly a non dancer "darling", as he played Caractacus Potts in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, when it toured in Singapore from 2005 to 2008.
    He has performed in a host of other stage productions as well.

Iím no darling of yours.

Ironic, Iíve just been to see Battle of the Sexes and find patronising males still exist.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 6th Dec 17, 6:34 PM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 105,741 Thanks
    candygirl
    Iím no darling of yours.

Ironic, Iíve just been to see Battle of the Sexes and find patronising males still exist.
    Originally posted by pollypenny
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 6th Dec 17, 7:00 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    Iím glad you reminded me of Judy Murray. Sheís considerably more than Andyís mother; sheís a sportswoman in her own right.

She was hopeless, bless her, but she tried.
    She did indeed and I respect her for that , but would you want to sit through a whole series where all the competitors were of her level?
    • balletshoes
    • By balletshoes 6th Dec 17, 9:01 PM
    • 15,988 Posts
    • 40,901 Thanks
    balletshoes
    She did indeed and I respect her for that , but would you want to sit through a whole series where all the competitors were of her level?
    Originally posted by Tabbytabitha
    no - but we've just been discussing the likes of Davood and Ore, who also had no previous dance training, so it doesn't mean that just because we start with a whole bunch of celebs with no dance training, that some of them won't progress and end up being really good as the show goes on.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 6th Dec 17, 9:41 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    no - but we've just been discussing the likes of Davood and Ore, who also had no previous dance training, so it doesn't mean that just because we start with a whole bunch of celebs with no dance training, that some of them won't progress and end up being really good as the show goes on.
    Originally posted by balletshoes
    No, of course not. However, for me, the thought of sitting through several programmes waiting for them to get to that level sounds pretty tedious. At the moment, some people start at a good level and improve on that, which carries my interest until the non dancers start catching up.

I don't really understand what people object to about some people being experienced because it isn't as if they tend to win it (not that it matters who wins, obviously) as we saw last year with Danny and Louise. It seems to me that's one of Strictly's strengths that there are good dancers for those that enjoy that and complete beginners for those who enjoy that side of things. I wouldn't want everybody to be an experienced dancer but there are obviously some who want t to bring it all down to the same level and I can't really see the point of that.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 7th Dec 17, 8:48 AM
    • 23,090 Posts
    • 59,784 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Oh, heck, Tabitha. Who wants to bring it down to the same level? The producers don’t do our looking for clumsy people.

I would say that Judy and john Sargeant are the only one I can recall who made no progress.

• andygb
    • By andygb 7th Dec 17, 10:21 AM
    • 11,927 Posts
    • 25,734 Thanks
    andygb
    Iím no darling of yours.

You obviously have had a sense of humour bypass then, because the "darling" remark was a tribute to Craig Revell Horwood - "darling"
    • catkins
    • By catkins 7th Dec 17, 11:11 AM
    • 5,476 Posts
    • 11,584 Thanks
    catkins
    Oh, heck, Tabitha. Who wants to bring it down to the same level? The producers donít do our looking for clumsy people.

I would say that Judy and john Sargeant are the only one I can recall who made no progress.
    I thought Judy Murray did make a little bit of progress. Before Strictly I wasn't keen on her as she always looks so stern and miserable watching her sons play tennis. She came across as so nice in Strictly and with a good sense of humour.

I think if I were to try and learn to dance I would be similar to Judy Murray although in my head I would be brilliant.

For me the person who made absolutely no progress was Ann Widdicombe. She seemed to make no attempt to learn the dances or to progress. I thought she came across as an awful woman
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 7th Dec 17, 11:44 AM
    • 414 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    Yep look at my location 😁
    Originally posted by candygirl
    Oh, heck, Tabitha. Who wants to bring it down to the same level? The producers donít do our looking for clumsy people.

Actually, if you read back, several people were arguing that only those with nothing more than a minimal amount of dance training should be allowed on the show. I'm simply saying that Strictly has room for both beginners and more experienced dancers.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 7th Dec 17, 12:12 PM
    • 23,090 Posts
    • 59,784 Thanks
    pollypenny
    You obviously have had a sense of humour bypass then, because the "darling" remark was a tribute to Craig Revell Horwood - "darling"

Or maybe youíre just not funny, dahling!

• vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 7th Dec 17, 1:16 PM
    • 17,458 Posts
    • 109,229 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    I don't have an issue with people with some dance training, but it has really raised its head as an issue this year. Why is that? Are there more of them this year or something?

I'm really struggling this year to know who I want to win, whereas I was on team Ore, Jay, Caroline and Louis pretty early on. It would probably have been Davood were he not voted off, or possibly Aston earlier in the competition.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 7th Dec 17, 1:38 PM
    • 2,568 Posts
    • 5,793 Thanks
    fussypensioner
    I agree that those with a great deal of dance experience and who also have high profile career's should not be asked to take part in the programme. Certainly Alexandra is very ambitious and self promoting, but I don't dislike her and enjoy her dancing. However, I also agree that a bunch of learners who have no obvious talent or even a sense of rhythm would make tedious viewing. But you probably don't know that until they start dancing.

Our comments on here about this programme come from an audience point of view, the producers have a different agenda. It has been said that the results are manipulated, and that might be why the BBC never discloses the public vote. The producers have been accused of promoting their favourites suggesting that a lot of “strategic thinking” goes into the show and each celebrity’s song and dance choice every week. Also the judges will not vote for anyone in the dance off who hasn't put a lot of time in at rehearsals.

So people, we are being manipulated again in the quest for higher viewing figures than the X factor - which isn't difficult in my opinion. There will always be and underdog, cue Russell Grant being shot our of a cannon, the help boost his popularity, and the more publicity about "love curse hits strictly again", and gossip about the contestants taking part the better for the BBC.

In a nutshell:

Each celebrity is given a standard £25,000 payment for signing up, but if they manage to stay on the dance floor until the end of October this rises to £40,000.

Any star that makes it to the quarter finals their fee jumps to £60,000.

Those who make the Quarter Finals enjoy £60,000 which climbs to £75,000 if they last an extra week and get into the semi-finals.

While the Strictly winner will be paid £100,000.

In future, I will try and view it for what it is, and entertainment show, with excellent music and pro. dances, all watch courtesy of the fast forward facility.

Enjoy the show this weekend darhlings, I'm looking forward to it.
    Holding back the years...
    • andygb
    • By andygb 7th Dec 17, 3:46 PM
    • 11,927 Posts
    • 25,734 Thanks
    andygb
    I agree that those with a great deal of dance experience and who also have high profile career's should not be asked to take part in the programme. Certainly Alexandra is very ambitious and self promoting, but I don't dislike her and enjoy her dancing. However, I also agree that a bunch of learners who have no obvious talent or even a sense of rhythm would make tedious viewing. But you probably don't know that until they start dancing.

Our comments on here about this programme come from an audience point of view, the producers have a different agenda. It has been said that the results are manipulated, and that might be why the BBC never discloses the public vote. The producers have been accused of promoting their favourites suggesting that a lot of ďstrategic thinkingĒ goes into the show and each celebrityís song and dance choice every week. Also the judges will not vote for anyone in the dance off who hasn't put a lot of time in at rehearsals.

So people, we are being manipulated again in the quest for higher viewing figures than the X factor - which isn't difficult in my opinion. There will always be and underdog, cue Russell Grant being shot our of a cannon, the help boost his popularity, and the more publicity about "love curse hits strictly again", and gossip about the contestants taking part the better for the BBC.

In a nutshell:

Each celebrity is given a standard £25,000 payment for signing up, but if they manage to stay on the dance floor until the end of October this rises to £40,000.

Any star that makes it to the quarter finals their fee jumps to £60,000.

Those who make the Quarter Finals enjoy £60,000 which climbs to £75,000 if they last an extra week and get into the semi-finals.

While the Strictly winner will be paid £100,000.

In future, I will try and view it for what it is, and entertainment show, with excellent music and pro. dances, all watch courtesy of the fast forward facility.

Enjoy the show this weekend darhlings, I'm looking forward to it.
    Originally posted by fussypensioner
    A MA ZING Daahling!
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 7th Dec 17, 4:55 PM
    • 10,012 Posts
    • 36,000 Thanks
    luxor4t
    To be fair, Judy did make some progress over the weeks - her expression changed from sheer terror to high anxiety......

Edit: she continued to dance like an ironing board throughout the weeks, however. Happy days!
    Last edited by luxor4t; 07-12-2017 at 4:57 PM.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 7th Dec 17, 5:37 PM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 105,741 Thanks
    candygirl
    LUXOR are you still not in bloody hospital?

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 7th Dec 17, 5:45 PM
    • 10,012 Posts
    • 36,000 Thanks
    luxor4t
    LUXOR are you still not in bloody hospital?
    No, I am still at home as they couldn't find me a bed for the end of this week and were last talking about 3 days before Christmas.... then they said they would ring me back and haven't

(I will spare you the details)
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 7th Dec 17, 6:56 PM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 105,741 Thanks
    candygirl
    http://www.entertainmentdaily.co.uk/tv/former-strictly-winner-slams-two-of-this-years-contestants/
    Ooh interesting comments from Joanne😊
    So sorry about your op LUXOR 😣

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 7th Dec 17, 7:17 PM
    • 7,412 Posts
    • 10,281 Thanks
    jackieblack
    A bit late but...
    Semi Final songs and dances:

Alexandra and Gorka are performing a Salsa to Finally by Cece Peniston and a Viennese Waltz to Tina Arenaís version of R.E.Mís Everybody Hurts
    Debbie and Giovanni are dancing a Foxtrot to Isnít She Lovely by Stevie Wonder and a Jive to Iím So Excited by the Pointer Sisters
    Joe and Katya are performing an American Smooth to Have You Met Miss Jones? By Robbie Williams and the Argentine Tango to Human by Rag ní Bone Man
    Gemma and Aljaě are dancing the Rumba to Beneath Your Beautiful by Labrinth featuring Emeli Sand! and a Tango to My Sharona by The Knack (Royal Blood cover)
    Mollie and AJ are Waltzing to Angel by Sarah McLachlan and performing a Samba to Whenever, Wherever by Shakira
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 7th Dec 17, 9:04 PM
    • 414 Posts
    • 837 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    http://www.entertainmentdaily.co.uk/tv/former-strictly-winner-slams-two-of-this-years-contestants/
    Ooh interesting comments from Joanne😊
    So sorry about your op LUXOR 😣
    I never liked her.....
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

283Posts Today

1,161Users online

Martin's Twitter