Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 9th May 17, 4:03 PM
    • 700Posts
    • 1,160Thanks
    LABMAN
    Strictly Come Dancing 2017 thread
    • 9th May 17, 4:03 PM
    Strictly Come Dancing 2017 thread 9th May 17 at 4:03 PM
    As the new head judge (Shirley Ballas) has been announced today I thought it was an opportune excuse to start the 2017 SCD thread!
Page 131
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 5th Dec 17, 1:03 PM
    • 23,160 Posts
    • 60,002 Thanks
    pollypenny
    One sportsman who we thought would have an advantage was Joe Calzaghe, as a nimble, light on his feet boxer. He was flipping hopeless!

He got a new love, though, which didn’t last!
    Last edited by pollypenny; 05-12-2017 at 5:07 PM.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 5th Dec 17, 2:55 PM
    • 10,894 Posts
    • 22,838 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    I think that's exactly the point of the whole show, that non dancers become dancers, or we might as well just have a show full of trained dancers, which sadly it's slowky becoming ����
    Originally posted by candygirl
    I agree with you wholeheartedly.

The show is not what it used to be.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 5th Dec 17, 9:49 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    So 11 out of 14 weren't sportspeople. Harding an overwhelming success rate there for the sportspeople.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Or , to look at a different way (and including Chris Hollins) nearly a third of the winners were sports people.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 5th Dec 17, 9:50 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    I agree with you wholeheartedly.

The show is not what it used to be.
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR
    I agree, but not for that reason. I think a show with all non dancers would be impossible to recruit for and extremely dull to watch.
    Last edited by Tabbytabitha; 05-12-2017 at 9:53 PM.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 5th Dec 17, 10:32 PM
    • 6,913 Posts
    • 30,738 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    I agree, but not for that reason. I think a show with all non dancers would be impossible to recruit for and extremely dull to watch.
    Originally posted by Tabbytabitha
    I disagree. It might be difficult to recruit completely non dancers, but there are lots out there with limited dance experience, and it would be far more entertaining to watch their journey than ones with extensive dance experience who are top of the leader board from week 1.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 5th Dec 17, 11:00 PM
    • 492 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    I disagree. It might be difficult to recruit completely non dancers, but there are lots out there with limited dance experience, and it would be far more entertaining to watch their journey than ones with extensive dance experience who are top of the leader board from week 1.
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    Every actor who's been to drama school will have had dance training, as will most pop singers in the girl/boy band mode. You'd end up having to scrape the barrel and letting the reality "stars" in and that really would be the death of the programme.

It would also be incredibly boring in the early weeks with everybody dancing badly -
    many viewers would have lost interest by the time the majority had achieved some level if competence.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 5th Dec 17, 11:18 PM
    • 6,913 Posts
    • 30,738 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Every actor who's been to drama school will have had dance training, as will most pop singers in the girl/boy band mode. You'd end up having to scrape the barrel and letting the reality "stars" in and that really would be the death of the programme.

It would also be incredibly boring in the early weeks with everybody dancing badly -
    many viewers would have lost interest by the time the majority had achieved some level if competence.
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree. Basic dance training is fine, but when professionally trained dancers are competing, the show is already dying

It really isn't boring in the early weeks when everyone is dancing badly as the whole point is watching how they progress.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 5th Dec 17, 11:24 PM
    • 10,894 Posts
    • 22,838 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR

many viewers would have lost interest by the time the majority had achieved some level if competence
    I disagree.

Most people I talk to want to see people learning to dance and progressing.

And judging by comments I see online a lot of people feel the same.

It has changed for the worse even previous professional dancers have made some interesting comments.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 6th Dec 17, 7:13 AM
    • 18,811 Posts
    • 43,336 Thanks
    peachyprice
    Or , to look at a different way (and including Chris Hollins) nearly a third of the winners were sports people.
    Maths isn't your strong point then

28% is not nearly a third.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • andygb
    • By andygb 6th Dec 17, 7:56 AM
    • 11,944 Posts
    • 25,795 Thanks
    andygb

It is higher than 28% because 4 previous sportsmen were winners - Mark Ramprakash, Darren Gough, Chris Hollins and Louis Smith.
    All but four of the previous winners PLUS the sportsmen had extensive dance training, far more training than Alexandra Burke.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 6th Dec 17, 8:35 AM
    • 18,811 Posts
    • 43,336 Thanks
    peachyprice
    It is higher than 28% because 4 previous sportsmen were winners - Mark Ramprakash, Darren Gough, Chris Hollins and Louis Smith.
    All but four of the previous winners PLUS the sportsmen had extensive dance training, far more training than Alexandra Burke.
    Originally posted by andygb
    How is 4 out of 14 higher than 28%?

We're talking about Tabbytabitha's claim that sport people also have an advantage, they said 4 sportspeople have won, making nearly a third of winners sportspeople. 4 out of 14 is not a third, it is 28.6%.

In fact the number of sportpeople who have won is exactly the same as the number of non-dancer/sportspeople, 4.

Being a sportsperson helps with the stamina, but it certainly doesn't make you a good dancer, same as being a dancer doesn't make you a good athlete. My dancer daughter can't run for toffee!
    Last edited by peachyprice; 06-12-2017 at 9:21 AM.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 6th Dec 17, 8:49 AM
    • 23,160 Posts
    • 60,002 Thanks
    pollypenny
    Zoe Ball's comment on ITT yesterday was interesting. She told Alexandra that she should do 'the pro challenge'.

Non-dancers boring -joe, Davood, Rev. Richard?

They are what makes the programme.
    Last edited by pollypenny; 06-12-2017 at 12:13 PM.

• Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 6th Dec 17, 10:01 AM
    • 492 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha

I think that would be you.

A third of 14 is 4.66 (recurring), so 4 is, in my book, almost a third.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 6th Dec 17, 10:07 AM
    • 492 Posts
    • 963 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    Zoe Ball's comment on ITT yesterday was interest. She told Alexandra that she should do 'the pro challenge'.

Originally posted by pollypenny
    A few can certainly make the programme interesting if they have a good personality and/or learn quickly but a whole programme of people like Judy Murray and Charlotte Hawkins would have seen the show end many years ago.

In addition, having some people with a certain amount of training lifts the standard required to do well. I really wonder how well Davood would have done if all the other competitors were like Judy and Charlotte.
    Last edited by Tabbytabitha; 06-12-2017 at 10:16 AM.
    • pollypenny
    • By pollypenny 6th Dec 17, 12:15 PM
    • 23,160 Posts
    • 60,002 Thanks
    pollypenny
    A few can certainly make the programme interesting if they have a good personality and/or learn quickly but a whole programme of people like Judy Murray and Charlotte Hawkins would have seen the show end many years ago.

In addition, having some people with a certain amount of training lifts the standard required to do well. I really wonder how well Davood would have done if all the other competitors were like Judy and Charlotte.

I’m glad you reminded me of Judy Murray. She’s considerably more than Andy’s mother; she’s a sportswoman in her own right.

She was hopeless, bless her, but she tried.

• POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 6th Dec 17, 12:26 PM
    • 10,894 Posts
    • 22,838 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    How is 4 out of 14 higher than 28%?

We're talking about Tabbytabitha's claim that sport people also have an advantage, they said 4 sportspeople have won, making nearly a third of winners sportspeople. 4 out of 14 is not a third, it is 28.6%.

In fact the number of sportpeople who have won is exactly the same as the number of non-dancer/sportspeople, 4.

Being a sportsperson helps with the stamina, but it certainly doesn't make you a good dancer, same as being a dancer doesn't make you a good athlete. My dancer daughter can't run for toffee!

Had to laugh at that!

My daughter is exactly the same. No way could she be described as an athelete but she has been dancing since the age of 4 and now teaches dance to examination grades.

She has a lot to say about trained dancers being on the show.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 6th Dec 17, 12:28 PM
    • 18,811 Posts
    • 43,336 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I think that would be you.

A third of 14 is 4.66 (recurring), so 4 is, in my book, almost a third.
    Have it your way. (But i don't think .66 (recurring) works with whole people)

But that means that almost a third of non-dancers/athletes have won too. So where the advantage?
    • andygb
    • By andygb 6th Dec 17, 12:38 PM
    • 11,944 Posts
    • 25,795 Thanks
    andygb
    Zoe Ball's comment on ITT yesterday was interesting. She told Alexandra that she should do 'the pro challenge'.

Originally posted by pollypenny

Hardly a non dancer "darling", as he played Caractacus Potts in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, when it toured in Singapore from 2005 to 2008.
    He has performed in a host of other stage productions as well.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 6th Dec 17, 12:45 PM
    • 10,894 Posts
    • 22,838 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Hardly a non dancer "darling", as he played Caractacus Potts in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, when it toured in Singapore from 2005 to 2008.
    He has performed in a host of other stage productions as well.
    Originally posted by andygb
    Ooh Pollypenny is your darling!!

Do not think Davood has had any formal dance training has he?

Just googled to find what other shows he has been in and cannot find anything do you have a link please?
    Last edited by POPPYOSCAR; 06-12-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 6th Dec 17, 2:21 PM
    • 11,944 Posts
    • 25,795 Thanks
    andygb
    Ooh Pollypenny is your darling!!

Do not think Davood has had any formal dance training has he?

Just googled to find what other shows he has been in and cannot find anything do you have a link please?
    Originally posted by POPPYOSCAR

Davood is genuinely "pukka" which is why we kept voting for him, definitely the best of the "no previous" crowd, although I did hear a rumour that he did a bit of "dad" dancing at parties
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

374Posts Today

1,649Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin