Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 9th May 17, 4:03 PM
    • 699Posts
    • 1,159Thanks
    LABMAN
    Strictly Come Dancing 2017 thread
    • 9th May 17, 4:03 PM
    Strictly Come Dancing 2017 thread 9th May 17 at 4:03 PM
    As the new head judge (Shirley Ballas) has been announced today I thought it was an opportune excuse to start the 2017 SCD thread!
Page 130
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 3rd Dec 17, 10:39 PM
    • 6,910 Posts
    • 30,733 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Lots of people have some dance experience, but when one of the contestants has been previously choreographed in a professional show by one of the judges, it makes a joke of the whole show

Especially when that judge professes to be amazed by what a good dancer she is.

There are people in there this year who have never danced and tonight when one of the was against the trained dancer, he was the one who should have gone through.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • tesuhoha
    • By tesuhoha 3rd Dec 17, 10:39 PM
    • 16,353 Posts
    • 43,001 Thanks
    tesuhoha
    The minute he was in the dance off with Alexandra, Davood was out because she is the judges' favourite and no matter what he did he couldn't win.

If Alexandra wants to know why she was in the dance off she should watch that last dance of hers back. I know that the judges judge them on technical merit but surely they should take into account grace as well? It was so clumsy, boots and all. She was galloping around like a fairy elephant.

The reason Debbie wasn't in the dance off and why people voted for her was because her dance was good to watch and full of grace, something sadly lacking with Alexandra. The public are not fooled even though the judges gush over their favourite.
    Last edited by tesuhoha; 03-12-2017 at 10:42 PM.
    The forest would be very silent if no birds sang except for the birds that sang the best

The best kept secret is an open secret.

A vacuum is nature's default state.
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 3rd Dec 17, 10:53 PM
    • 17,463 Posts
    • 109,277 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    The good news is that Alexandra can't win without the public vote, which she's not carrying.

Fwiw I think there's more to it than her having dance training, she just doesn't come across as likeable when she's on ITT as many of the others, whereas Gemma for example comes across as lovely and natural.
    And all that fist pumping at the end of her dance when she was up against someone "like a brother" makes her seem extremely competitive, the judges even commented on how competitive it was.
    Last edited by vivatifosi; 03-12-2017 at 10:57 PM.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 3rd Dec 17, 11:15 PM
    • 17,463 Posts
    • 109,277 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    Luxor, the best of luck with your op. When my dad went into hospital recently I loaded his tablet with things like Sky go, iPlayer, a couple of general TV apps and the catch up apps for ITV, 4,5 etc so he didn't miss anything or get bored while stuck in bed.

Hopefully you won't be in there long, but if you are stuck, hopefully there will be free WiFi and a way of watching.
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • flissh
    • By flissh 4th Dec 17, 2:57 AM
    • 656 Posts
    • 1,369 Thanks
    flissh
    Well, might be online next week, might not.
    Might have two new joints, might not...... have a good week, all!
    Originally posted by luxor4t
    Good luck & best wishes for a speedy recovery x
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 4th Dec 17, 8:19 AM
    • 6,910 Posts
    • 30,733 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Good luck with the op Luxor.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 4th Dec 17, 8:23 AM
    • 458 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    The good news is that Alexandra can't win without the public vote, which she's not carrying.

Fwiw I think there's more to it than her having dance training, she just doesn't come across as likeable when she's on ITT as many of the others, whereas Gemma for example comes across as lovely and natural.
    And all that fist pumping at the end of her dance when she was up against someone "like a brother" makes her seem extremely competitive, the judges even commented on how competitive it was.
    Originally posted by vivatifosi
    I think her style and character were much more suited to X Factor viewers, whereas Strictly tends to be rather lower key and less in your face. Personally, I dislike all that "I'm doing it for my mother" business and admire Debbie for not playing on her own bereavement.

Character is just as important to most Strictly viewers as dancing ability.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 4th Dec 17, 10:03 AM
    • 458 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    Lots of people have some dance experience, but when one of the contestants has been previously choreographed in a professional show by one of the judges, it makes a joke of the whole show

Especially when that judge professes to be amazed by what a good dancer she is.

There are people in there this year who have never danced and tonight when one of the was against the trained dancer, he was the one who should have gone through.
    Originally posted by charlies_mum
    Regardless of age, experience, likeability, amusement value or anything else, the judges should always put the best dance through in a dance off, which they did.
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 4th Dec 17, 1:55 PM
    • 6,910 Posts
    • 30,733 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Regardless of age, experience, likeability, amusement value or anything else, the judges should always put the best dance through in a dance off, which they did.
    Originally posted by Tabbytabitha
    I don't think Alexandra's was the best dance. She made the same mistakes both times, whereas Davoods second dance was much better than his first

Alexandra has been at the top of the leader board from day 1 and I don't think she has improved at all.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 4th Dec 17, 2:02 PM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 105,741 Thanks
    candygirl
    I don't think Alexandra's was the best dance. She made the same mistakes both times, whereas Davoods second dance was much better than his first

Alexandra has been at the top of the leader board from day 1 and I don't think she has improved at all.
    Yep.Davood corrected his previous mistakes, n was much better in the second dance 😛
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • andygb
    • By andygb 4th Dec 17, 2:59 PM
    • 11,936 Posts
    • 25,760 Thanks
    andygb

It was the best dance by a very long way, and all the judges agreed. Maybe some of you live on another planet?
    I should also point out, that for the last three weeks, my OH and myself have been voting for Davood.
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 4th Dec 17, 3:49 PM
    • 7,414 Posts
    • 10,285 Thanks
    jackieblack
    It was the best dance by a very long way, and all the judges agreed. Maybe some of you live on another planet?
    Originally posted by andygb
    Hmmm...
    'Best' can be defined in many different ways.
    The judges obviously have their favourites and seem prepared to overlook mistakes when it suits their agenda.
    Alexandra's dance was 'clompy' and lacked any warmth IMO.
    If Davood had danced in the main show the way he did in the DO I don't think he would have been in the DO.
    Last edited by jackieblack; 04-12-2017 at 3:51 PM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 4th Dec 17, 4:34 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    Yep.Davood corrected his previous mistakes, n was much better in the second dance 😛
    Originally posted by candygirl
    I agree but, unfortunately, it still wasn't up to Alexandra's standard which is all that matters in the dance off.
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 4th Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    Hmmm...
    'Best' can be defined in many different ways.
    The judges obviously have their favourites and seem prepared to overlook mistakes when it suits their agenda.
    Alexandra's dance was 'clompy' and lacked any warmth IMO.
    If Davood had danced in the main show the way he did in the DO I don't think he would have been in the DO.
    Originally posted by jackieblack
    The dance was choreographed to be clompy - I didn't like it much but she danced the choreography she was given very well.
    • candygirl
    • By candygirl 4th Dec 17, 6:07 PM
    • 26,088 Posts
    • 105,741 Thanks
    candygirl
    I should also point out, that for the last three weeks, my OH and myself have been voting for Davood.
    Originally posted by andygb
    Yep look at my location 😁
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004)
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 4th Dec 17, 7:49 PM
    • 7,414 Posts
    • 10,285 Thanks
    jackieblack
    The dance was choreographed to be clompy
    Maybe, but Gorka didn't make it appear so clompy - high energy, yes, clompy? Not so much...
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • balletshoes
    • By balletshoes 4th Dec 17, 8:59 PM
    • 15,988 Posts
    • 40,902 Thanks
    balletshoes
    I know some people believe this and there's nothing wrong with thinking that way but there have always been some people with dance experience and that really isn't avoidable. I always think that the sports people have an advantage as well, being (generally) fit, used to training and being competitive but this doesn't seem to bother people as much.
    i think the reason that doesn't bother people as much is that sportsmen on the show, overall, haven't fared any better than any other celebs (Iwan Thomas was flippin awful for example, and Mark Foster and Greg Rutherford weren't much better!)
    • Tabbytabitha
    • By Tabbytabitha 4th Dec 17, 9:48 PM
    • 458 Posts
    • 899 Thanks
    Tabbytabitha
    i think the reason that doesn't bother people as much is that sportsmen on the show, overall, haven't fared any better than any other celebs (Iwan Thomas was flippin awful for example, and Mark Foster and Greg Rutherford weren't much better!)
    Originally posted by balletshoes
    That may be true recently but it wasn't at the start when Mark Ramprakash (sp?) and the other cricketer both won it (IIRC) and Colin Jackson should've. In fact, I've checked and 3 out of 14 winners were sports people, 4 if you include Chris Hollins, and several were runners up. Next to those with previous dance experience of some kind, sports people are those who've been most successful.

Those with neither a sport or dance background (I'm including all the drama school people in that category) are quite a small minority.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 5th Dec 17, 8:34 AM
    • 11,936 Posts
    • 25,760 Thanks
    andygb
    The following people who did rather well on Strictly, had dance lessons when they were younger - Jill Halfpenny, Alesha Dixon, Tom Chambers, Kara Tointon (musical and stage experience), Harry Judd (both Harry Judd and Kara Tointon won the children in need Strictly the year before they took part in the actuasl Strictly series), Caroline Flack (won the 2009 BBC3 "Dancing on Wheels", then finished 16th with her disabled partner in the 2009 European Wheelchair Dancing Campionships in Tel Aviv), Jay McGuinness (from the age of 12 onwards attended various dance academies).
    We then have Mark Ramprakash, Darren Gough Louis Smith and Chris Hollins (who has played professional football and first class cricket).
    The only winners who haven't had any dance or sports experience as far as I can see, are Natasha Kaplinsky, Harry Judd, Abbey Clancy and Ore Oduba.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 5th Dec 17, 12:59 PM
    • 18,795 Posts
    • 43,280 Thanks
    peachyprice
    That may be true recently but it wasn't at the start when Mark Ramprakash (sp?) and the other cricketer both won it (IIRC) and Colin Jackson should've. In fact, I've checked and 3 out of 14 winners were sports people, 4 if you include Chris Hollins, and several were runners up. Next to those with previous dance experience of some kind, sports people are those who've been most successful.
    So 11 out of 14 weren't sportspeople. Harding an overwhelming success rate there for the sportspeople.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,607Posts Today

7,622Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @SF_England: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, just so everyone is aware- check your payslips between when you graduated and the following Ap?

• Sorry to bubble burst. But each day a lot of people tweet me this. I think it doesn't show any other votes until t? https://t.co/uRny62NRc1

• Today's Twitter poll: I want to find out are people generally happy. So how happy are you today? PS I did the same? https://t.co/3Gw9ylu2H2

• Follow Martin