Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LABMAN
    • By LABMAN 9th May 17, 4:03 PM
    • 700Posts
    • 1,160Thanks
    LABMAN
    Strictly Come Dancing 2017 thread
    • 9th May 17, 4:03 PM
    Strictly Come Dancing 2017 thread 9th May 17 at 4:03 PM
    As the new head judge (Shirley Ballas) has been announced today I thought it was an opportune excuse to start the 2017 SCD thread!
Page 126
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 2nd Dec 17, 8:10 PM
    • 10,034 Posts
    • 36,093 Thanks
    luxor4t
    I must avoid the spoiler tonight.
    I must avoid the spoiler tonight.......honest!
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 2nd Dec 17, 8:24 PM
    • 4,976 Posts
    • 11,809 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    I think Davood and Gemma in dance off and Gemma (much as I wish she didnt...) will go.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £95.55/ Jul £383.85/Aug £211.60/Sep £282.35/Oct £122.54/Nov £271.08/Dec £80.49
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1628.14 miles
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 2nd Dec 17, 8:32 PM
    • 7,415 Posts
    • 13,617 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Didn't like Burke's Charleston.

Sorry for Davood. I voted for Debbie and then Joe, twice. Should have been one vote each for the two men left
    • balletshoes
    • By balletshoes 2nd Dec 17, 8:34 PM
    • 15,989 Posts
    • 40,904 Thanks
    balletshoes
    i've just finished watching it all, I think the standard of dancing by everyone had upped levels tonight.
    Wasn't keen on Mollie's dance tonight, and although I hate to say it, I think Gemma has probably gone about as far as she can go now.

Davood's could have been fabulous, and I was a bit "wow" at the end at the drama of the dance, but the judges were right, it wasn't a measured and balanced AT.

I love Joe.

I voted for Joe, Davood and Gemma tonight, hoping not, but I think it may be Gemma and Davood in the DO. I'd rather Mollie went out of everyone, but its a close call between her and Gemma IMO.
    • LilySue
    • By LilySue 2nd Dec 17, 8:44 PM
    • 338 Posts
    • 6,845 Thanks
    LilySue
    Just voted for Gemma, l expect she will be in the bottom 2, but l still like her and l enjoyed her dance.

I thought Joe did very well with that weird Samba, and Debbie's dance was good ( Giovanni was quite distracting with those ears)

Otherwise l felt sorry for Davood as he gave his all in that dance, l though it was Nadiya who was a bit wobbly and clunky in it, not just him!

I didn't like Alexandra's Charleston, l don't think it should have gotten any tens as she clearly messed up a landing on one of the moves, but l think the judges almost make up their minds before hand how they're going to vote and she had the end show slot so therefore had to be amazing!!!
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 2nd Dec 17, 8:48 PM
    • 4,243 Posts
    • 8,936 Thanks
    minimad1970
    Didn't like Burke's Charleston.

Sorry for Davood. I voted for Debbie and then Joe, twice. Should have been one vote each for the two men left
    Originally posted by ScarletMarble
    Why have you called Alexandra by her surname and all the others by their first names? Seems a bit rude.

Gemma's still my favourite, mainly due to her personality and sheer enjoyment of dancing. I thought Debbie was overmarked as she stumbled a couple of times as did Davood who was marked down for it.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 2nd Dec 17, 9:00 PM
    • 7,415 Posts
    • 13,617 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Why have you called Alexandra by her surname and all the others by their first names? Seems a bit rude.

Gemma's still my favourite, mainly due to her personality and sheer enjoyment of dancing. I thought Debbie was overmarked as she stumbled a couple of times as did Davood who was marked down for it.
    Originally posted by minimad1970
    I don't know why I didn't use Alexandra's name
    • charlies_mum
    • By charlies_mum 2nd Dec 17, 9:12 PM
    • 6,913 Posts
    • 30,739 Thanks
    charlies_mum
    Ben out and just watched on catch up. Have to admit Debbie was amazing. Love Davood but was a bit disappointed in this AT

I'm too late to vote, but would probably have voted Gemma, Joe and Davood

Catch you all tomorrow.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever
    • catkins
    • By catkins 2nd Dec 17, 9:17 PM
    • 5,479 Posts
    • 11,600 Thanks
    catkins
    I was pretty disappointed in tonight's show. Thought the music choices were pretty awful - how can you dance a samba to Money Makes the World Go Around?

Also I don't think Hopelessly Devoted to You suits a rhumba at all nor Phantom of the Opera to an Argentine Tango.

Darcey's comment that Mollie's Rhumba should have been more sensual was ridiculous. How can you dance a sensual dance to music that is so far from sensual it is untrue. I must say Darcey is really annoying me this year.

The only dance I liked was Debbie's
    The world is over 4 billion years old and yet you somehow managed to exist at the same time as David Bowie
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 2nd Dec 17, 9:20 PM
    • 4,243 Posts
    • 8,936 Thanks
    minimad1970

Darcey's comment that Mollie's Rhumba should have been more sensual was ridiculous. How can you dance a sensual dance to music that is so far from sensual it is untrue. I must say Darcey is really annoying me this year.
    Originally posted by catkins
    I sometimes feel that Darcey speaks just for the sake of it, and as for that annoying "yes" after her comments
    • JIL
    • By JIL 2nd Dec 17, 10:11 PM
    • 2,790 Posts
    • 18,750 Thanks
    JIL
    I felt Craig was scoring to try and ensure the bottom two were the ones he felt should be there.
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 2nd Dec 17, 10:27 PM
    • 4,243 Posts
    • 8,936 Thanks
    minimad1970
    I must avoid the spoiler tonight.......honest!
    Originally posted by luxor4t
    Spoiler's in for those who wish to look

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/2255467/spoiler-musicals-week-please-do-not-hint-at-results-elsewhere-until-sunday-show-has-aired/p33
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 2nd Dec 17, 10:40 PM
    • 18,811 Posts
    • 43,336 Thanks
    peachyprice
    I thought Debbie was overmarked as she stumbled a couple of times as did Davood who was marked down for it.
    Originally posted by minimad1970
    Seems the judges missed the stumbles, I'm glad you mentioned it because I thought I's imagined it when they were all giving such high praise.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 3rd Dec 17, 9:53 AM
    • 10,894 Posts
    • 22,838 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    Seems the judges missed the stumbles, I'm glad you mentioned it because I thought I's imagined it when they were all giving such high praise.
    Originally posted by peachyprice
    Yes funny that.

They seem to pick up on every little thing with some and yet not with others.
    • fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 3rd Dec 17, 10:17 AM
    • 2,577 Posts
    • 5,820 Thanks
    fussypensioner
    I was pretty disappointed in tonight's show. Thought the music choices were pretty awful - how can you dance a samba to Money Makes the World Go Around?

Also I don't think Hopelessly Devoted to You suits a rhumba at all nor Phantom of the Opera to an Argentine Tango.

The only dance I liked was Debbie's
    Originally posted by catkins
    I could have written this myself, I thought the same. Inappropriate music -which I've been moaning about for some time, Darcey's comments etc., and the only dance I liked was Debbie's. Although I thought Joe put on a good show.

I don't know why so many here dislike Alexandra, its a dancing competition, not a personality competition. I've been amazed at the derogatory remarks aimed at her.
    Holding back the years...
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 3rd Dec 17, 10:39 AM
    • 7,435 Posts
    • 10,385 Thanks
    jackieblack
    I don't know why so many here dislike Alexandra, its a dancing competition, not a personality competition. I've been amazed at the derogatory remarks aimed at her.
    Originally posted by fussypensioner
    Ringers are never popular with most of us.
    Year after year there have been 1 or 2 competitors who start with an unfair advantage over those who genuinely have little or no previous dance training.
    The fakery and pretence that they don't have this experience also contributes to their unpopularity.

For most of us, it's a competition about 'celebrities' learning to dance. Not for those who can already dance.

With Alexandra Burke, there's the additional fact that Craig Revel Horwood directed and choreographed Sister Act, in which AB had the main role.

She has no business taking part AFAIC, however the fault lies with Strictly producers IMO.
    Last edited by jackieblack; 03-12-2017 at 10:48 AM.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • fussypensioner
    • By fussypensioner 3rd Dec 17, 11:11 AM
    • 2,577 Posts
    • 5,820 Thanks
    fussypensioner
    Year after year there have been 1 or 2 competitors who start with an unfair advantage over those who genuinely have little or no previous dance training.
    The fakery and pretence that they don't have this experience also contributes to their unpopularity.

For most of us, it's a competition about 'celebrities' learning to dance. Not for those who can already dance.

With Alexandra Burke, there's the additional fact that Craig Revel Horwood directed and choreographed Sister Act, in which AB had the main role.

She has no business taking part AFAIC, however the fault lies with Strictly producers IMO.
    Originally posted by jackieblack

I didn't know that Craig directed and choreographed Sister Act with her in the main role, so it does seem that he is promoting her and like you say the (egocentric) BBC should not have allowed that.

I'm not sure she's fake though, just over exuberant maybe, sometimes the British public prefer a mouse over a lion. However the more personal comments, which aren't about her dancing, seem unnecessary.
    Holding back the years...
    • minimad1970
    • By minimad1970 3rd Dec 17, 11:13 AM
    • 4,243 Posts
    • 8,936 Thanks
    minimad1970
    I didn't know that Craig directed and choreographed Sister Act with her in the main role, so it does seem that he is promoting her and like you say the (egocentric) BBC should not have allowed that.

I'm not sure she's fake though, just over exuberant maybe, sometimes the British public prefer a mouse over a lion. However the more personal comments, which aren't about her dancing, seem unnecessary.
    I couldn't agree more with your comments. Also there's not much dancing in Sister Act.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 3rd Dec 17, 12:21 PM
    • 11,944 Posts
    • 25,796 Thanks
    andygb
    I could have written this myself, I thought the same. Inappropriate music -which I've been moaning about for some time, Darcey's comments etc., and the only dance I liked was Debbie's. Although I thought Joe put on a good show.

My feelings exactly, her dance yesterday was great, absolutely marvelous and deserved the high marks.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 3rd Dec 17, 12:30 PM
    • 11,944 Posts
    • 25,796 Thanks
    andygb

Originally posted by jackieblack

How about Debbie then, as she was a professional lead ballet dancer and ran her own dance studio?
    How about Aston Merrygold who danced and sang on "Got to Dance" in 2013?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

458Posts Today

2,838Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin