Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 9th May 17, 12:47 PM
    • 3,387Posts
    • 13,078Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    When things hit rock bottom the only answer is to fight the way back up...
    • 9th May 17, 12:47 PM
    When things hit rock bottom the only answer is to fight the way back up... 9th May 17 at 12:47 PM
    I'm back again, worse than ever to be honest. Things all hit a head in March and along with help being needed in other areas than financial I realised that the money side of things are a big issue in fixing things elsewhere.

Although not posting I have been reading the diaries I have followed, so many who helped along when I first started are happily debt free now. I want to join them one day, both in being debt free and in happiness.

Our finances on paper while tight look okay. However we both smoke and my OH is not very responsible. At all. I fell into a gambling issue which I've sought help for and not a penny has gone on gambling since March.

Our household is me (Not working, our youngest has complicated health issues), My OH he works full time with over time, and 3 delightful children

I will make a seperate post for my debts/goals and then one with our SOA when I've completed it.

Hope I can stay around to sort myself, the debt and the happiness thing out.

DFW £523.71/£7348.71
    Rent Arrears £271.28/£3381.28

June 17 PA £91.05 + £70 Cash + £25 Amazon
Page 28
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 12th Jun 17, 11:42 AM
    • 7,304 Posts
    • 38,558 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Supermarket stuff for uniforms where you can is definitely a plan isn't it - no sense in paying more than you need for stuff that's just going to get grown outof/ruined through hard wear in no time anyway.

Thanks to whoever posted the simple way of working out percentages too!

Leftover beef works superbly in a stir fry as well - that's usually where any leftovers I have from a joint of beef end up. (Chicken goes to either a curry or a risotto, and lamb usually goes into a couscous type dish with moroccan spices etc!)
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£373.02
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 12th Jun 17, 12:37 PM
    • 3,387 Posts
    • 13,078 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Oh stir fry is something else I've never really included in the meal plan either or risotto. I get stuck with the same things over and over. Will be giving the stir fry a go when we pull the other half of joint out for a roast.

Have turned the left overs from yesterday into pie for DD (yes she's obsessed with pie but will only eat homemade) and the rest into slices for sandwiches tonight with gravy and new potatoes.

Have got curry in the slow cooker because I had a million onions needing used (still have more than I know what to do with, I'm sure they've bred in the fridge at least I know when I shop this week I don't need onions )

Might need to pick some milk up today but hopefully not it can be tomorrow when I need to break my NSD to cover a taxi to an appointment and back! Dedication to my NSD that is

DFW £523.71/£7348.71

• DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 12th Jun 17, 8:13 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Hi hidden, definitely seconding the idea of leftover beef in a stir fry, yummy and super quick to make as well. OH also does something with corn flour and makes beef strips into a crispy chili beef- not quite sure how he does it but tastes just like from the takeaway (although chilli maybe not so good for the little ones!)

DTD
    Total Debt Paid: £0 / £16062.60 (0% debt gone)
    Holiday fund £60.00
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 12th Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    • 5,172 Posts
    • 15,044 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Hope you've not been too tired today HI.

Re the uniform do you buy brand new every year? I usually only buy mine a few new bits and use up last years as spares. I find the logo'd stuff usually washes well and you can't even tell the difference a few weeks into the term!!

Hope you get more sleep tonight xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £7586.76 - 31/05/17 - 67.25% paid off
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 12th Jun 17, 8:46 PM
    • 3,387 Posts
    • 13,078 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Hi hidden, definitely seconding the idea of leftover beef in a stir fry, yummy and super quick to make as well. OH also does something with corn flour and makes beef strips into a crispy chili beef- not quite sure how he does it but tastes just like from the takeaway (although chilli maybe not so good for the little ones!)

DTD
    Originally posted by DaringToDream
    That sounds so good! I will have to have a google Thank you

Hope you've not been too tired today HI.

Re the uniform do you buy brand new every year? I usually only buy mine a few new bits and use up last years as spares. I find the logo'd stuff usually washes well and you can't even tell the difference a few weeks into the term!!

Hope you get more sleep tonight xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    I'm feeling the lack of sleep more now I'm just going to finish the cleaning, have a quick shower and jump in bed

I do but last September I only bought one set each So it's looking a bit tired now, however I refuse to replace it now The thing is this time they are changing colour schemes so even down to the reading bags (that are logo) need replacing I will hopefully then keep them as spares thats such a good idea!

It's school shoes that we seem to struggle with, DD wore her new ones for the first time today and has come home crying they hurt I feel awful but we've tried at least 6 pairs from kickers/clarks/startrite. I'm really tempted to get her some cheaper brand and see if they are comfier? I think she finds them to "hard"

DFW £523.71/£7348.71

• emmie26
    • By emmie26 12th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    emmie26
    You are like me with your nsd's, the other day I had to top up my DS's dinner money card and rather than do it before I went to bed I did it when I woke in the morning, just so that I didn't blow a nsd, like it matters in the long run, but I did feel better for it

My sons school have school uniform shop everything, they even make you buy a particular pair of trousers and there are 3 different pe kits, rugby, athletics and a tracksuit, it is a nightmare, he is definitely keeping some of the same things for two years I can't afford that every year. I think it was £200 just for him last September but he was just starting high school so needed everything.

I am loving all the recipie ideas as well, keep them coming it's giving me some inspiration

Total Debt: £24,359.79 £23,124
    debt reduced by 5%
    Debt free date: May 2019
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 12th Jun 17, 8:55 PM
    • 3,387 Posts
    • 13,078 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Mine are only in year 3/year 1 and youngest starts the nursery there. I think youngest will need more than one set though. They have chickens and grow their own veg/fruit etc which youngest will love 'helping' with not to mention usual nursery paint and general preschool stuff

I must admit I'm loving the recipe ideas

DFW £523.71/£7348.71

• emmie26
    • By emmie26 12th Jun 17, 9:23 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    emmie26
    That sounds a lovely nursery!

My son is 12 And still comes home covered in supposed washable paint, it gets no better (well he hasn't)

Total Debt: £24,359.79 £23,124
    debt reduced by 5%
    Debt free date: May 2019
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 13th Jun 17, 5:12 AM
    • 669 Posts
    • 5,471 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    It's school shoes that we seem to struggle with, DD wore her new ones for the first time today and has come home crying they hurt I feel awful but we've tried at least 6 pairs from kickers/clarks/startrite. I'm really tempted to get her some cheaper brand and see if they are comfier? I think she finds them to "hard"
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    Is she wearing them round the house first? I get my DC to wear their shoes for increasing amounts of time for 3-4 days before wearing them for a full day of school, and send in their old shoes or trainers for them to change into if they get sore for a few days. I remember the hell of breaking in new smart school shoes! I buy my DCs' school shoes from M&S and they have always been fine. Not super cheap, but more so than Clarks etc.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 6th June 17/DFD: £56,025.55/1st March 2025
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 13th Jun 17, 8:41 AM
    • 3,387 Posts
    • 13,078 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Is she wearing them round the house first? I get my DC to wear their shoes for increasing amounts of time for 3-4 days before wearing them for a full day of school, and send in their old shoes or trainers for them to change into if they get sore for a few days. I remember the hell of breaking in new smart school shoes! I buy my DCs' school shoes from M&S and they have always been fine. Not super cheap, but more so than Clarks etc.
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil
    Never thought of M&S! We had debenhams and they where okay, I think everywhere must be getting ready to change to new stock for the new school year, sizes seem limited everywhere! and what a good idea getting them to wear them in the house!

DFW £523.71/£7348.71

• Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 13th Jun 17, 8:48 AM
    • 3,387 Posts
    • 13,078 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Well another morning, another school run and another load of cleaning and ironing done.

Youngest has taken herself back to bed and fell asleep Well that's what happens when you think you can still be wide awake requesting a full dinner at 3am So I'm going to sit and have a coffee and catch up on surveys.

No plans today, tonight's dinner is going to be all the odd leftovers, I don't want to cook something else when there's still odd portions of things left. I'll make it look like they've all got something they'd choose

Won't be a NSD. Need milk and fathers day card. Need a stamp to send a birthday card too.

Really need to find a small gift for my step-dad. It's so difficult! He wants for nothing and anything he does want he just gets. Also need to find a nice card for him. The kids are making their cards though, so some saving there

I've made no extra payments this week but the lower tax credits means its been quite tight. Although at least I haven't had to borrow from anywhere

DFW £523.71/£7348.71

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 13th Jun 17, 10:59 AM
    • 7,304 Posts
    • 38,558 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Aww I feel for your DD on the shoes thing- I've ALWAYS had problems getting used to new shoes and still do now. Doesn't matter how much I wear them in, it's rare that I find a pair that don't give me blisters after a mile or so of walking in them. Trainers and walking boots are less of an issue, there I just struggle with getting the width right as my feet are wide. Anything with a "sewn in" label under the heel is a no as it rubs and blisters almost immediately.

Good plan on the tailoring of the leftovers to the individuals there!

If your step-dad is a reader can you pop to the charity shop and if they do 50p paperbacks like so many do get 5 - 10 books that you think he'd appreciate? Pop them into a gift bag and that might work?
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 13th Jun 17, 7:07 PM
    • 3,387 Posts
    • 13,078 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Surveys cashed out this week.

£50 yougov
    £10 Panelbase
    £5 My survey

I'm over the threashold on PA but waiting for some more to become available before cashout (£19.10 available/£28.85 pending)

Just keeping track so I know where I'm at.
    Last edited by Hiddenidenity; 13-06-2017 at 7:10 PM.

DFW £523.71/£7348.71

• Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 13th Jun 17, 8:18 PM
    • 3,387 Posts
    • 13,078 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Ugh, real fed up. I'm sure its just the disturbed sleep but the black cloud is def thundering over my head today!

DFW £523.71/£7348.71

• UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 13th Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    • 231 Posts
    • 801 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    When I get like that I visit the gym and take it out on the heavy bag... when I feel the negative energies build up I have to let them loose and find that is the best way for me...
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 13th Jun 17, 8:29 PM
    • 91 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    That's great progress on the surveys- I am just below payout on one poll and swag bucks but it's taking forever to reach the payout point now!! Used to be so good at it when I worked from home, but can't do it in the office so is much slower progress now!
    Total Debt Paid: £0 / £16062.60 (0% debt gone)
    Holiday fund £60.00
    • Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 13th Jun 17, 8:30 PM
    • 4,588 Posts
    • 14,565 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Hugs lovely lady.

Hope you get some rest tonight, is there any chance you can nap during the day if DD naps? Xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: £7800.00 Cap 1: £420.00 Overdraft: £2750.00

Lunches to work 5/25 ~ £10pw 2/5

20p Savers 2017 £2 Savers 2017 50p Savers 2017 SPC 10 2017 #003
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 14th Jun 17, 8:58 AM
    • 3,387 Posts
    • 13,078 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Thanks all, still have the black cloud

I think I'll try to get a nap in if youngest sleeps today, I can catch up on the cleaning I miss.

General cleaning done, kids in school safely. Need to put the chicken in for dinner and think of a plan how best to make the most of it.

No pads mean the council tax needs £12 a day between now and the 28th just so I don't fall behind feels like one step forward 10 back!

Other halfs wage is awful this week because last week was annual leave, so only contract hours at min wage We've discussed this and he isn't going to come away in October and only take AL now when the company is closed for Xmas. Work allow them to 'cash in' so many holidays when they've acquired a certain amount. So this is the plan from now on, along with accepting every Saturday offered.

DFW £523.71/£7348.71

• EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 14th Jun 17, 11:22 AM
    • 7,304 Posts
    • 38,558 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    That sounds positive from the point of view of OH getting on board, at least. Might be a good idea if he does take the odd day here and there though - just to recharge his batteries a bit particularly if he's doing lots of overtime? Fingers crossed one day in a week where he's also been able to do overtime wouldn't impact things too much once another few months have passed?

if it's sunny with you then try to get out into the fresh air for a bit to deal with that black cloud.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • mobo1980
    • By mobo1980 14th Jun 17, 11:40 AM
    • 327 Posts
    • 1,730 Thanks
    mobo1980
    Hope you feel better today hidden
    Think you have managed to get a lot done for 9am so well done you!

Mobo xx
    CC1-£1729.53
    CC2-£4323.00
    LOAN-£14,519.05
    TOTAL DEBT £20,571.58
    Then there's the mortgage
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,428Posts Today

9,512Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Emloy93: @MartinSLewis I did this! It 100% works ????????

• RT @Photo_Pete: @MartinSLewis Thanks Martin, I'll renew mine before my 24th in September!

• Tell any 23 yr olds... you're allowed to buy a 3 year 16-25 railcard the day before your 24th birthday then it's valid until ur almost 27 RT

• Follow Martin