Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gll5dm
    • By gll5dm 9th May 17, 9:51 AM
    • 66Posts
    • 34Thanks
    gll5dm
    Very difficult situation regarding grandmother's will
    • 9th May 17, 9:51 AM
    Very difficult situation regarding grandmother's will 9th May 17 at 9:51 AM
    Hi all,

I’d appreciate any advice anybody may have on this. It will be quite longer winded, so thanks in advance if you’re prepared to read and reply.

My grandmother died 20 years ago and left money to her daughter (my mother), and her four grandchildren (me, my two brothers and the son of her second husband’s son whom she didn’t know).
    When she died – and I don’t know how it happened – the solicitor in charge of her will told us we had all been left X amount. Let’s say 30k each for the sake of argument. This money would only be accessible for those under 25 (everybody apart from my mother) if there was a valid reason, for example a school trip, a first car, study fees, etc.

It couldn’t just be given out willy-nilly, so to speak, aside from my mother’s share which she was given right away and used for home improvements and a nice family holiday.

The fourth grandchild that my grandmother didn’t know was left twice as much as her own daughter, as, prior to the death of my grandmother’s second husband, he’d had a huge argument with his son and cut him out of the will and left that share to his grandson, essentially giving him two shares and everybody else one.

This went on for a decade, before the solicitor retired and passed it on to a different company, who then told us the conditions were actually completely different, and that the money was being saved in “stocks and shares” and was being kept in a fund, not divided up between everybody but rather available for everybody to access if they had a valid reason, which I find completely crazy.

The parents of the fourth grandchild were given permission to take an interest-free loan of 30k from the will around 10 years ago, and have seemingly only just paid it back recently, while the final two grandchildren (the fourth one plus my younger brother) will turn 25 next year. Once this happens, I have been told by the solicitor, any funds remaining will be split four ways between us.

I have also been told that those over 25 cannot access any further funds until the final grandchild reaches 25, so myself and my older brother essentially need to sit and wait and see whether the fourth grandchild makes a request for further funds, even though he’s received far, far more than even my grandmother’s only child.
    We assume he’ll be doing all he can do drain as much from what remains (around 40k) in the fund, in the knowledge that once he passes 25 he’ll have to do as we are doing now, which is sit and wait for my younger brother to turn 25 which happens a few months later next year.

Does anybody have any advice here? This guy has received an awful lot of money from the will of a grandmother he didn’t even know, while my mother who has been scrimping and saving for years could end up without a further penny from what her mother left behind.

We need to somehow get access to these funds to stop this guy from draining even more than he already has. It appears my younger brother is the only one who can access them, given that only he is under 25. I’d love nothing more than to be able to hand my ‘share’ of what’s left over (currently around 10k per person) to my mother, but know this fourth grandchild can request funds for another year over and over again until there is nothing left.

Thanks for any advice and tips.
    Last edited by gll5dm; 09-05-2017 at 10:00 AM.
Page 6
    • gll5dm
    • By gll5dm 29th Sep 17, 8:55 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    gll5dm
    I've spoken to the new guy in charge of the trust fund. It's been moved to a solicitors place in Sheffield and I need to call him back on Monday afternoon. Hopefully be able to move this along in the near future as this has been a joke to deal with. 5 months and counting.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 29th Sep 17, 9:01 AM
    • 3,379 Posts
    • 2,748 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    I've spoken to the new guy in charge of the trust fund. It's been moved to a solicitors place in Sheffield and I need to call him back on Monday afternoon. Hopefully be able to move this along in the near future as this has been a joke to deal with. 5 months and counting.
    Originally posted by gll5dm
    Don't lose heart now. Good luck.
    • gll5dm
    • By gll5dm 2nd Oct 17, 9:18 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    gll5dm
    Thanks for all of the support. Can't believe this thread has reached six pages and I am literally just one step on from where I started! Anyhow, I will be ringing this new guy at 2.30pm today and will be getting as much info as possible from him, so will provide an update this afternoon.
    • gll5dm
    • By gll5dm 2nd Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    gll5dm
    So I spoke to the new guy who comes across very friendly and wanting to help. Unfortunately he says the files he received were in an absolute state and, for example, the letters we sent requesting an early winding up of the trust, are nowhere to be seen.

He explained how an early winding up of the trust, when investments are involved, may incur financial penalties so he'll need to look into if it's financially sensible to do so. That alone was more info than I was able to get out of the last useless woman who was in charge of it and was in contact with me.

He isn't actually a trustee of the fund yet as he says he'll need to write to the director of the company that has just gone into administration and request to be made the trustee; apparently this is a normal procedure.

It appears there will be an awful lot of waiting yet, and it could in the end turn out that the fund only closes when the final of the beneficiaries turns 25 next year, which would deem the last 6 months of my communicating with the old firm a complete waste of time.
    • gll5dm
    • By gll5dm 7th Nov 17, 1:16 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    gll5dm
    Still no further down the line.

The new solicitor was waiting a few weeks for the OK to act as trustee, and described the files he received as "as if they were thrown up into the air, landed and were shoved into a box". I guess we shouldn't be surprise at how long it's taking ..

I think it will just be wrapped up when the youngest beneficiary turns 25 in the middle of next year.
    • gll5dm
    • By gll5dm 9th Nov 17, 2:20 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    gll5dm
    Jeez louise... this is a saga. So apparently the PA to the solicitor now handling this phoned my mother this morning to let her know there is no penalty fee for withdrawing the investments early and that the whole thing ought to be able to be wrapped up within a fortnight. I await further info.
    • Yorkshireman99
    • By Yorkshireman99 9th Nov 17, 4:20 PM
    • 3,379 Posts
    • 2,748 Thanks
    Yorkshireman99
    Still no further down the line.

The new solicitor was waiting a few weeks for the OK to act as trustee, and described the files he received as "as if they were thrown up into the air, landed and were shoved into a box". I guess we shouldn't be surprise at how long it's taking ..

I think it will just be wrapped up when the youngest beneficiary turns 25 in the middle of next year.
    Even if the will says 25, 18;is now the limit and the entitlement is now.
    Last edited by Yorkshireman99; 10-11-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 10th Nov 17, 11:54 AM
    • 3,274 Posts
    • 6,915 Thanks
    jackyann
    Thank you gll5dm for keeping us updated. I follow some of these sagas with interest, initially because i think I might learn something from them, but yours, I have to say because I, like many others on here, are rooting for you (some would call this 'nosiness'!)
    But there are many threads where some people invest some time and trouble to help, and no-one comes back to let us know what happened - so thank you - and I hope we'll all soon be having a virtual drink with you!
    • gll5dm
    • By gll5dm 11th Nov 17, 9:40 PM
    • 66 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    gll5dm
    Thank you gll5dm for keeping us updated. I follow some of these sagas with interest, initially because i think I might learn something from them, but yours, I have to say because I, like many others on here, are rooting for you (some would call this 'nosiness'!)
    But there are many threads where some people invest some time and trouble to help, and no-one comes back to let us know what happened - so thank you - and I hope we'll all soon be having a virtual drink with you!
    Originally posted by jackyann
    Haha thanks for the kind words! I hope it's at least been an entertaining read.

I just want it all over, more so because my mum is broke and will be getting most of what one of my brothers receives, as he's borrowed so much from her over the past few years and she's been soft enough to continue bailing him out. The sooner the better!
    Last edited by gll5dm; 12-11-2017 at 9:49 PM.
    • gll5dm
    • By gll5dm 13th Dec 17, 8:55 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    gll5dm
    Update: Six weeks later and still absolutely no progress. Was told it would be wrapped up within two weeks... five weeks ago. The saga continues.
    • Manxman in exile
    • By Manxman in exile 13th Dec 17, 4:36 PM
    • 1,048 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    Manxman in exile
    Update: Six weeks later and still absolutely no progress. Was told it would be wrapped up within two weeks... five weeks ago. The saga continues.

Really sorry to hear this is dragging on still.

Did you ever get around to making a formal complaint as I seem to recall earlier posters recommending?

How did it get transferred to Sheffield? Are they another office of the original firm of solicitors?
    • gll5dm
    • By gll5dm 14th Dec 17, 8:48 AM
    • 66 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    gll5dm
    Really sorry to hear this is dragging on still.

Did you ever get around to making a formal complaint as I seem to recall earlier posters recommending?

How did it get transferred to Sheffield? Are they another office of the original firm of solicitors?
    Originally posted by Manxman in exile
    I was in the process of making a formal complaint... then the initial solicitors went bankrupt and was put into administration. That was the reason why they were completely ignoring my phone calls and emails for weeks on end.

The new solicitors in Sheffield is the company the account was transferred to by the administrator.

They told us at start of November it'd all be wrapped in within two weeks, haha. Maybe before Christmas, but I won't be holding my breath!

Just a calamity of errors for seven months.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,186Posts Today

5,574Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin