Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ewicc
    • By ewicc 8th May 17, 4:11 PM
    • 23Posts
    • 1Thanks
    ewicc
    Switching suppliers
    • 8th May 17, 4:11 PM
    Switching suppliers 8th May 17 at 4:11 PM
    I am looking which suppliers for my gas & electricity, i did the price comparison sites, i look at dual fuel as well as getting from different suppliers for each. It seems if it cheaper for me to use different suppliers, is there any drawbacks doing this instead of using dual fuel? There is about £30 annual difference

I did a few comparisons sites, they all give me difference projected costs if i continued to use my current supplier, used the same values for my annual consumption??

my gas usage annual is 5775 kWh & electricity is 1625kWh

Thanks in advance
Page 1
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 8th May 17, 4:21 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    sheff6107
    • 8th May 17, 4:21 PM
    • 8th May 17, 4:21 PM
    No drawbacks other than the extra bureaucracy.
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 8th May 17, 5:02 PM
    • 2,691 Posts
    • 1,145 Thanks
    Cisco001
    • 8th May 17, 5:02 PM
    • 8th May 17, 5:02 PM
    I keep it separate as it is cheaper.
    Plus I have extra 1 direct debit for my multiple current accounts
    • dogshome
    • By dogshome 8th May 17, 6:12 PM
    • 2,913 Posts
    • 1,481 Thanks
    dogshome
    • 8th May 17, 6:12 PM
    • 8th May 17, 6:12 PM
    The only problem is that you have to find your way around different suppliers websites, but think of it this way, nobody pays you money for what you do in your freetime
    • ewicc
    • By ewicc 19th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    ewicc
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    • 19th Jun 17, 4:27 PM
    Does switching gas to another supplier take longer than switching electricity suppliers.
    I submitted changing supplier of my gas and electricity from EDF to two different suppliers on May 12th. My electricity switch over was completed before the end of May. However gas changeover to Solarplicity even though I submitted it at the same time, i have heard nothing from them, no emails,welcome pack etc. I just received the confirmation from the comparison site i used. I contacted the energy comparison site I used to ask for an update. They contacted Solarplicity who said " they have confirmed that they are still investigating and will revert back to me as soon as they have started processing your application."

Is it normal for changing gas suppliers to take so long, or is it just Solarplicity that is slow. Would it better for me to go to a bigger supplier with better customer service?
    • slinga
    • By slinga 24th Jun 17, 4:35 PM
    • 1,077 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    slinga
    • 24th Jun 17, 4:35 PM
    • 24th Jun 17, 4:35 PM
    How come the cheapest supplier in one area isn't the cheapest supplier nationwide??
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 25th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 1,470 Thanks
    footyguy
    • 25th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    • 25th Jun 17, 11:49 AM
    How come the cheapest supplier in one area isn't the cheapest supplier nationwide??
    Originally posted by slinga
    Because if they were, we'd all switch to them.

MSE Martin & others would not be earning £millions from comparison sites as they would not be required, nor would any other supplier for that matter.

And the poor supplier who suddenly gets 60 million customers to handle will not be able to cope, the governement would be required to step in to stop the whole country grinding to a halt, and with no competition (and the governement inefficiency in attempting to run a business) then the supplier will be able to charge what they liked having knocked out all the competition.
    Last edited by footyguy; 25-06-2017 at 11:52 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

387Posts Today

3,545Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin