Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Maybelle22
    • By Maybelle22 8th May 17, 2:24 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Maybelle22
    Working Tax Credit and illness (self employed)
    • 8th May 17, 2:24 PM
    Working Tax Credit and illness (self employed) 8th May 17 at 2:24 PM
    Hello,
    I am currently self employed and receive WTC (incl. disability element).
    I also receive Carers Allowance for taking care of a disabled family member.
    I am currently unwell myself, and would be off sick if I was employed.
    Having read about sickness & WTC I see that it can still be paid for up to 28 weeks, whether employed or self employed.
    What I don't know, and hope someone here will be able to tell me, is do I have to report my illness to HMRC (I assume yes), and do I need a note from my doctor? It wouldn't be a problem, I just need to know I'm doing things the right way.
    Also, would there be any effect on my Carers Allowance? I am still a carer, and caring for the same number of hours so there's no real change there.
    Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
Page 1
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 8th May 17, 3:10 PM
    • 10,903 Posts
    • 12,787 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 8th May 17, 3:10 PM
    • 8th May 17, 3:10 PM
    Will you be claiming contribution based ESA whilst you are off sick? i.e have you been paying class 1 NI contributions for the last two tax years?

Contribution based ESA would not be affected by working tax credits.

You would need a fit note to apply for contribution based ESA.

If you are not eligible for contribution based ESA then you could try claiming income based ESA. This is a means tested benefit and is based on household income (partner's income included) and on any joint capital/savings. Working tax credit would be counted as income.

Carer's Allowance would not be affected if you can meet the eligibility criteria whilst you are sick.

Wait for someone who knows about tax credits to come along to give you information about these.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 8th May 17, 3:32 PM
    • 4,718 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 8th May 17, 3:32 PM
    • 8th May 17, 3:32 PM
    You don't need to report it unless you are off for more than 28 weeks.

You do need to meet the criteria here - https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/tax-credits-technical-manual/tctm02421

A self-employed person does not have to receive one of the benefits listed above. They will be treated as engaged in qualifying remunerative work for up to 28 weeks providing that:

they were engaged in self employed qualifying remunerative work in the week immediately before the period of sickness began
    they would have qualified for one of the benefits listed above if they had been employed
    • Maybelle22
    • By Maybelle22 8th May 17, 3:35 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Maybelle22
    • 8th May 17, 3:35 PM
    • 8th May 17, 3:35 PM
    Hi, Thanks very much for your response. No, I wouldn't be intending to claim ESA or any other benefit. I don't anticipate being out of action for for than a few weeks.
    • Maybelle22
    • By Maybelle22 8th May 17, 3:36 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Maybelle22
    • 8th May 17, 3:36 PM
    • 8th May 17, 3:36 PM
    Thank you so much for your reply, that's good news :-)
    • equestor
    • By equestor 5th Dec 17, 9:13 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    equestor
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:13 AM
    • 5th Dec 17, 9:13 AM
    I am in a similar position to the OP in that I am self-employed and receiving Working Tax Credit (inc. the disability element), and I am currently unwell and unable to work.
    Thank you to Darksparkle for your reply to the OP. The OP asks if they would need a note from their doctor to continue claiming WTC. I cannot see an answer to this particular part of the OP's question. Darksparkle says that the illness doesn't need to be reported unless it lasts longer than 28 weeks.
    It would seem that without a doctor's note, a claimant for WTC would be self-certifying themselves as unfit to work, and this might not be good enough for the purpose of continuing to receive WTC.
    Could someone please clarify whether a doctor's note would be required, or whether it might just be better to have one, in case the period of illness is questioned at some point.
    Thank you.
    • Darksparkle
    • By Darksparkle 6th Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    • 4,718 Posts
    • 2,980 Thanks
    Darksparkle
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:11 AM
    HMRC do not request fit notes. If questioned, you need to show how you meet the criteria outlined in the above link.
    • equestor
    • By equestor 6th Dec 17, 10:14 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    equestor
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:14 AM
    • 6th Dec 17, 10:14 AM
    Many thanks for your reply Darksparkle.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

150Posts Today

1,912Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• RT @stoneygran: @MartinSLewis I furtively used a pub toilet last night before getting on the bus and felt really guilty!

• Follow Martin