Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TheDebtinator
    • By TheDebtinator 8th May 17, 11:13 AM
    • 230Posts
    • 63Thanks
    TheDebtinator
    Upgrading bank account
    • 8th May 17, 11:13 AM
    Upgrading bank account 8th May 17 at 11:13 AM
    I have a FlexBasic account with Nationwide (my wife banks with them, but we couldn't do the £100 referral fee thing). I want to upgrade this to a FlexDirect account. Would this show up on my credit file negatively if I did upgrade?

Also, I assume that I couldn't simply open a new account as part of a referral from my wife, as I am already a customer?

Thanks.
Page 1
    • phillw
    • By phillw 9th May 17, 1:01 PM
    • 674 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    phillw
    • 9th May 17, 1:01 PM
    • 9th May 17, 1:01 PM
    I have a FlexBasic account with Nationwide (my wife banks with them, but we couldn't do the £100 referral fee thing). I want to upgrade this to a FlexDirect account. Would this show up on my credit file negatively if I did upgrade?
    Originally posted by TheDebtinator
    I can't see anything on my credit file from nationwide when I switched my flex account to a flex direct. The account opening date didn't change. I opened it as a flex direct, switched it to a flex account for a year and then back to a flex direct (to get 5%).

Also, I assume that I couldn't simply open a new account as part of a referral from my wife, as I am already a customer?
    I think that is a safe assumption.
    Last edited by phillw; 09-05-2017 at 1:05 PM.
    • Don80
    • By Don80 9th May 17, 2:21 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Don80
    • 9th May 17, 2:21 PM
    • 9th May 17, 2:21 PM

Thanks.
    If you upgrade your basic account to a regular account they will almost certainly carry out a credit check which will show on your credit file. Its not negative as such, just a record that this happened.

I don't know about the £100 referral though.
    • stuart30
    • By stuart30 9th May 17, 7:06 PM
    • 495 Posts
    • 218 Thanks
    stuart30
    • 9th May 17, 7:06 PM
    • 9th May 17, 7:06 PM
    If you upgrade your basic account to a regular account they will almost certainly carry out a credit check which will show on your credit file. Its not negative as such, just a record that this happened.

I don't know about the £100 referral though.
    Originally posted by Don80

No i asked will they credit check as i was under the assumption my credit file was very poor.

Answer was your credited checked when you open the account..if in future you upgrade they don't credit check.
    • Archi Bald
    • By Archi Bald 9th May 17, 7:56 PM
    • 9,345 Posts
    • 7,387 Thanks
    Archi Bald
    • 9th May 17, 7:56 PM
    • 9th May 17, 7:56 PM
    They will make an assessment as to whether they are happy to give you more than a FlexBasic. This may involve a credit check.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 9th May 17, 8:01 PM
    • 4,044 Posts
    • 1,235 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 9th May 17, 8:01 PM
    • 9th May 17, 8:01 PM
    Do you have internet banking (with Nationwide) and if so, is it offering you an upgrade?
    • TheDebtinator
    • By TheDebtinator 17th May 17, 12:04 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    TheDebtinator
    • 17th May 17, 12:04 PM
    • 17th May 17, 12:04 PM
    Thanks all.

I do have internet banking, but nothing says about an upgrade. I opened the account when my credit worthiness was on the poor side. Having now obtained a mortgage I guess I am more worthy lol.

I will have to ask them I guess. I don't want another check on my file so soon after getting my mortgage. I will wait until after Friday anyway as that is my completion date.
    • takman
    • By takman 17th May 17, 1:45 PM
    • 2,488 Posts
    • 2,078 Thanks
    takman
    • 17th May 17, 1:45 PM
    • 17th May 17, 1:45 PM

Thanks.
    Just to add if you are already a customer then you could upgrade your account to a Flexdirect (or even open a new one) then refer your wife and when she switches you get £100 each .

She can then refer you and you can switch to your Flexdirect account and get another £100 each.

This is stated here on their website:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/our-current-accounts/recommend-a-friend-tab#xtab:can-i-recommend-someone-who-already-has-a-nationwide-current-account

I think that is a safe assumption.
    Originally posted by phillw
    You should never assume, always read the T&C's
    Last edited by takman; 17-05-2017 at 1:48 PM.
    • TheDebtinator
    • By TheDebtinator 17th May 17, 5:12 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    TheDebtinator
    • 17th May 17, 5:12 PM
    • 17th May 17, 5:12 PM
    Just to add if you are already a customer then you could upgrade your account to a Flexdirect (or even open a new one) then refer your wife and when she switches you get £100 each .

She can then refer you and you can switch to your Flexdirect account and get another £100 each.

This is stated here on their website:

http://www.nationwide.co.uk/products/current-accounts/our-current-accounts/recommend-a-friend-tab#xtab:can-i-recommend-someone-who-already-has-a-nationwide-current-account

You should never assume, always read the T&C's
    Originally posted by takman
    Perfect. I have an account with the Co-Op as well so I may move that over.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

3,071Users online

Martin's Twitter