Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MummyMoo
    • By MummyMoo 7th May 17, 10:46 PM
    • 150Posts
    • 211Thanks
    MummyMoo
    Cancelling Sky hassle
    • 7th May 17, 10:46 PM
    Cancelling Sky hassle 7th May 17 at 10:46 PM
    Evening all

I'm hoping someone can help me help my Grandparents. They have been with Sky (tv and landline) for 25 years this October but they are paying over 100 a month for sub par TV services, so after two years of me nagging my grandma to change suppliers she has finally agreed. Found a great package for them with Talk talk. I phoned Sky today to cancel with my Grandma next to me to confirm I can talk on her behalf (I do so with utilities for her and the likes) but they said they couldn't take any action because it's in my Grandads name. My grandad is unfortunately in the late stage of vascular dementia and so lacks the ability to speak. I explained this to Sky and they transferred me to the accessibility team who said I needed to email them a copy of the Right of attorney (all 16 pages) before we can discuss the account. My grandma doesn't want to give them this information as she worries that this information may get shared the same as phone numbers and emails get shared to other companies, and to be honest I understand where she's coming from with it. She said she feels like cutting them off at the bank but I have advised her that they would simply take her to court as she hasn't gone through the right channels and procedure.

Where does she stand legally? Does she HAVE to send Sky a copy of this private and important document? I can't help but feel they are trying it on because she wants to leave them, whereas if she phoned them to do an add-on service they would do it without hesitation.

Thank you for reading and I hope someone can advise me on this xXx
    Only two people away from a threesome
    (22,131.38 debt hanging around my neck)
    Bankrupt, (14/9/12)
    300 away from debt free!! (16/6/14)

2017 in 2017 = 0
Page 2
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 10th May 17, 9:36 AM
    • 507 Posts
    • 394 Thanks
    Sicard
    That link is almost two years old.

Sky no longer deliberately put obstacles in the way of those who wish to cancel.

The point of this thread is that the person attempting to cancel is not the actual account holder.

I don't work for Sky.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    Well done for spotting the blindingly obvious. Yes the link is 2 years old and as I pointed out, which your rose-tinted specs missed, was up until recently they treated their cancelling clients like scum. Now, Sky have been in operation for say 27 years, knock 2 years off of that and we come up with 25 years of them mistreating their cancelling customers. In fact it was so bad that The Telegraph conducted an investigation, amoungst others.

Your glasses also missed my point they must have cleaned up their act.

And no, I don't work for Sky.
    Part of the inhumanity of the computer is that, once it is competently programmed and working smoothly, it is completely honest.
    Isaac Asimov
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 10th May 17, 11:06 PM
    • 18,502 Posts
    • 8,731 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    up until recently
    Originally posted by Sicard
    Two years ago is "recently"?

"Bindingly obvious". What is?

Treating customers like "scum"? Really?

"Rose tinted glasses"?

Nobody is forced to be a Sky customer and, indeed, anyone determined enough has ALWAYS found it simple enough to cancel. I know I have done it more than once far less recently than two years ago.

I don't work for Sky, nor do I accuse anyone who disagrees with me of being an employee of same..
    • paweaz
    • By paweaz 18th May 17, 12:38 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    paweaz
    Insane sad to hear of this treatment seems to be the norm i just recently discovered my 88yo father was being charged for mobile broadband for three years despite having a hard wired broadband connection with the same company when i contacted them ohh sorry the contract rolls over every year you need to give 1 months notice to cancel......actually no i don't i'll cancel the whole bloody lot by end of day if its not sorted...result.....contract charges were refunded to the account by the next day....my advice....grow a set....contact them tell them if its not sorted you will cancel,still not interested ? tell them to get stuffed,cancel the DD end of...........ohh and run a huge bill up before you do lol.....too much !!!!! footing around these criminals these days they only understand one thing
    • JReacher1
    • By JReacher1 18th May 17, 7:34 AM
    • 2,527 Posts
    • 3,494 Thanks
    JReacher1
    Insane sad to hear of this treatment seems to be the norm i just recently discovered my 88yo father was being charged for mobile broadband for three years despite having a hard wired broadband connection with the same company when i contacted them ohh sorry the contract rolls over every year you need to give 1 months notice to cancel......actually no i don't i'll cancel the whole bloody lot by end of day if its not sorted...result.....contract charges were refunded to the account by the next day....my advice....grow a set....contact them tell them if its not sorted you will cancel,still not interested ? tell them to get stuffed,cancel the DD end of...........ohh and run a huge bill up before you do lol.....too much !!!!! footing around these criminals these days they only understand one thing
    Originally posted by paweaz
    I think this is possibly the worst advice I have ever read on this forum......
    • gycraig
    • By gycraig 18th May 17, 10:17 AM
    • 289 Posts
    • 175 Thanks
    gycraig
    Originally posted by paweaz
    How moronic, I have sold mobile broadband contracts to hundreds of people who have a broadband connection at home.

Terrible advice why would you destroy any chance of future credit over tiny final payments
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,572Posts Today

7,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin