Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JoChu
    • By JoChu 7th May 17, 5:22 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    JoChu
    HTB mortgage application with old/settled defaults/DMP
    • 7th May 17, 5:22 PM
    HTB mortgage application with old/settled defaults/DMP 7th May 17 at 5:22 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I was wondering whether I could ask for your opinion on a couple of matters.

I set up a DMP with Payplan in November 2009, in order to make repaying my debts more manageable (and wouldn’t have done so in retrospect!). I didn’t miss any payments and fully settled the amount of £25 000 I owed at the end of February 2015. Two creditors added three defaults, which have since dropped off (a year ago I successfully requested that the default dates be made earlier, as they were added at a later date than the start of the DMP). On my Experian credit report, Santander shows some late payments 37 – 72 months ago, green for the rest, marked as ‘DMP’ only for the last three months of the DMP, and showing settled. Equifax and Callcredit shows the same, and, in addition, ‘AP’ for Barclaycard for the whole period until it was fully settled in February 2015, and ‘DMP’ for the last three months before full settlement for Idem (MBNA), rest green. I have a credit card which is fully paid at the end of every month, no other debt, no dependents and a decent income. I know it means nothing, but all three reports say my credit score is excellent.

I am extremely keen to finally get on the property ladder after working tirelessly to repair my credit record for the last 7.5 years. I have reserved a London Help To Buy property, got the green light to go ahead, and the developer’s mortgage adviser applied for a mortgage on my behalf. He knows my circumstances, and said we should be fine, but I’m not so sure! He was happy to only look at my Experian credit report (I did offer to send all three), which looks the best of the three, as only the settled Santander DMP shows, and neither the settled Barclaycard AP nor the settled Idem DMP, which comes up on the other two. He applied for a mortgage with NatWest, who was one of the creditors whom applied a default after having arranged the DMP (the amount was about £4500 (credit card and current account), but fully settled in February 2015, as mentioned before). The reason he used them, is because they are prepared to lend the biggest income multiple (I’m applying on my own). Needless to say, they will check their internal records.

My application was made a week ago, and I can’t detect any soft or hard credit searches on my credit files yet, even though the mortgage adviser said that the mortgage in principle wasn’t declined – it was referred. The narrative mentioned something to do with my address, when he applied.

My questions are:
    In your opinion, is there any chance at all that my application might be approved, seeing that I had a fully settled default with this high street lender more than 6 years ago?

Also, I have been out out of the DMP for 26 months, and not the three years that some say you have to wait. Will this necessarily be an issue?

I know I shouldn’t make several applications, but I guess trying a good adverse credit mortgage adviser remains an option, if this doesn’t work out?

A week after my full application, I am a nervous wreck. In some ways it would have been easier if I were just declined at the initial stage, but I guess I can only wait and see now!

Any advice would be appreciated.
Page 1
    • kellie appleby
    • By kellie appleby 18th May 17, 2:33 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    kellie appleby
    • 18th May 17, 2:33 PM
    • 18th May 17, 2:33 PM
    Hiya, did you find out if your mortgage app went through ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,940Posts Today

7,350Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin