Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kitkatt1982
    • By kitkatt1982 6th May 17, 7:42 PM
    • 97Posts
    • 48Thanks
    kitkatt1982
    How much do you earn?
    • 6th May 17, 7:42 PM
    How much do you earn? 6th May 17 at 7:42 PM
    Hi, I know this is a sensitive and personal question for some people but I'm really interested to know what people's household incomes are and how well they manage on them?
    I ask as a married mother of three with a mortgage. On paper our income looks ok but in reality although we get by and pay our bills we never seem to have any disposable money despite my husband working away all week and me budgeting quite efficiently I believe. We don't have many treats (smoke or anything) our holidays are from the Sun paper and I buy most things second hand, shop at Lidl and don't have debt.
    Yet people we know seem to all have nicer houses, new cars, regular holidays abroad, always eating out and going for nice weekends away. Don't get me wrong I'm glad for what we have and know we're better off than a lot of people but I just don't get how others afford it and can't really ask what they earn to pay for it all!
    Our total household income after all deductions (tax/NI/child maintenance for husband's son) including wages, child benefit, maintenance for my son is £31500.
    Thanks for any thoughts!
Page 4
    • gdgirly
    • By gdgirly 16th May 17, 11:14 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    gdgirly
    Me and my husband earn around £21000 pa between us after tax,NI,pensions. (Him around £12500, me £10300) No mortgage(we rent) CC or loans. Never been abroad together in 9yrs.
    I wrote out a more detailed reply but it disappeared and now I can't be bothered to write it all out again at this time of night haha 😜 Any q's though just ask : )
    • hazyjo
    • By hazyjo 17th May 17, 12:10 AM
    • 9,097 Posts
    • 11,398 Thanks
    hazyjo
    £40k-42k-ish. Just me working. OH is bipolar and we choose for him not to work to keep him sane! He makes a fabulous house-husband so I don't lift a finger. No benefits. No kids (not me, anyway).

Mortgage and bills etc (not food): £1,100-ish, although soon to rise considerably due to various things like my mortgage deal ending, Virgin increasing for last 6 months, and yearly travel card ending (we're hoping to move so not re-fixing/renewing).

I rarely save. I don't have any loans. We usually have 2 luxury off-peak hos a year on good deals. Maybe one takeaway a month or more, and I have a meal or two out with friends every month.

One cheap car which I've had for 10 years since it was nearly new (less than 20k miles so still going strong!).

We're comfortable I'd say. And pretty chilled.

Jx
    2017 wins: Opera tickets; film preview; lipstick; Ideal Home Show tickets + afternoon tea & bottle of Champagne; 2 cases of NKD; notebook; bath rack; books; film Premiere; Broadchurch DVDs; lipbalms
    • MONEYTREE
    • By MONEYTREE 19th May 17, 1:46 PM
    • 126 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    MONEYTREE
    About £20,000. No mortgage, no car, no fags, no dependents, no loans.
    • jinkster
    • By jinkster 24th May 17, 8:05 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    jinkster
    Working in the Middle East tax free but family back in the UK - so spend about 4//5 days per month at home.

£9000 per month salary and a £2000 per month mortgage plus bills/ council tax etc, no car for me. OH has a Mini One and salary about £6000 per year.

Money is good but lifestyle is poor. Will be coming back home next year to a 50% pay cut.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,349Posts Today

8,654Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: It's been everywhere, so why not here. Which Hogwart's house should you've been in (Ive put key traits to help)...

• Quick favour if uv graduated within around the last year. I could do with pic of a student loan statement (no personal info) inc interest

• RT @ValeOfLevenCU: Why not sign up to @MartinSLewis https://t.co/kxMBedCNNw weekly email for free, impartial tips? #ThriftyThursday http?

• Follow Martin