Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fred246
    • By fred246 5th May 17, 4:44 PM
    • 746Posts
    • 428Thanks
    fred246
    The dangers of not cycling
    • 5th May 17, 4:44 PM
    The dangers of not cycling 5th May 17 at 4:44 PM
    Why do some people still not cycle? Do they want medical problems? Cancer heart attacks? Depression? We all know that not cycling is dangerous but so many people still do it. People realised that smoking was dangerous so most people stopped. Not cycling is dangerous too.
Page 2
    • fred246
    • By fred246 7th May 17, 12:03 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    fred246
    To be fair not cycling probably only knocks a couple of years off your life whereas smoking probably knocks about 10 years off.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 7th May 17, 10:05 AM
    • 2,172 Posts
    • 1,723 Thanks
    boliston
    To be fair not cycling probably only knocks a couple of years off your life whereas smoking probably knocks about 10 years off.
    Originally posted by fred246
    Not always
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/news/7941676/Britains-oldest-smoker-dies-after-puffing-on-cigarettes-for-95-years.html
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 7th May 17, 3:25 PM
    • 1,255 Posts
    • 730 Thanks
    Sncjw
    Some people can't ride a bike: I can't due to hearing problems. Ears help you balance. I can't ride one without stabilisers
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 7th May 17, 5:43 PM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 4,568 Thanks
    jack_pott
    Not cycling is not bad for you
    Originally posted by Lrimas
    Doing no exercise is nearly as bad for you as smoking. It doesn't need to be cycling though.
    • Judi
    • By Judi 7th May 17, 6:31 PM
    • 14,574 Posts
    • 57,574 Thanks
    Judi
    I haven't ridden a bike since I was 10, I'm now 47, how am I still alive!!
    Originally posted by minimad1970
    I can beat you there. Last time i rode a bike i was 8. I'm in my mid 50s now. Not sure i i can still ride a bike after all these years.

I could manage an exercise bike though.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 7th May 17, 6:49 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    surreysaver
    My bicycle put me in A&E three weeks ago.
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 7th May 17, 6:49 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    surreysaver
    My bicycle put me in A&E three weeks ago.
    Originally posted by surreysaver
    Well, the ambulance put me in A&E
    • Judi
    • By Judi 7th May 17, 7:23 PM
    • 14,574 Posts
    • 57,574 Thanks
    Judi
    Well, the ambulance put me in A&E
    Originally posted by surreysaver
    Not too much damage (to you) i hope.
    'Holy crap on a cracker!'
    • surreysaver
    • By surreysaver 7th May 17, 7:27 PM
    • 1,992 Posts
    • 1,167 Thanks
    surreysaver
    Not too much damage (to you) i hope.
    Originally posted by Judi
    Could have been worse!
    • fred246
    • By fred246 10th May 17, 2:30 AM
    • 746 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    fred246
    It's really sad. There are so many people who could lead happier, healthier, longer lives by bicycle commuting. Instead they choose the early death option and sit around in metal boxes with wheels, moaning about the traffic. Their noxious gas emmissions poison everyone leading to thousands more early deaths.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 10th May 17, 7:50 AM
    • 4,186 Posts
    • 17,028 Thanks
    Slinky
    I can't see how I could commute on a bike as I work from home.

I rode a bike last year on holiday for the first time in 25 years. The previous time I was hit by a car not pulling out far enough to overtake me, wing mirror swiped my hip and took me off.

It'll probably be 25 years (if I'm granted that long) before I get on a bike again.
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 11th May 17, 4:52 PM
    • 2,617 Posts
    • 1,109 Thanks
    Cisco001
    It's really sad. There are so many people who could lead happier, healthier, longer lives by bicycle commuting. Instead they choose the early death option and sit around in metal boxes with wheels, moaning about the traffic. Their noxious gas emmissions poison everyone leading to thousands more early deaths.
    Originally posted by fred246
    Depends on where you work!
    My work place is 22 miles from home.
    Cycle to work not an option.

Doing exercise doesn't has to be cycling.
    I consider cycling is too dangerous. (idiot driver/ teenage gang beat you up to grab the bike).
    • fred246
    • By fred246 11th May 17, 9:11 PM
    • 746 Posts
    • 428 Thanks
    fred246
    The whole point of the research was that it was taken into account that a few cyclists would be killed by idiot drivers. Idiot drivers kill people whether they be other drivers, cyclists, pedestrians etc. Cyclists still live longer. People dying of cancer and heart disease don't seem to link their medical problems with inactivity. It always amazed me that people know to avoid smoking but they don't seem to think that inactivity is dangerous. Someone working 22 miles away from home could use mixed mode commuting that was noted to be beneficial in the BMJ paper. In all my years cycling I've never even thought of teenagers taking my bike off me. I hope I get a few extra years of pension although I deserve it. Cyclists take less time off work as they are healthier so they should have their pensions paid for longer.
    • kittie
    • By kittie 16th May 17, 7:10 AM
    • 10,617 Posts
    • 56,772 Thanks
    kittie
    I have started cycling again after a long break, started with 2 miles around the village and built up a little more each time. I am now comfortable doing 11 miles on a fairly heavy upright bike with hybrid tyres. There are a few hilly sections and I manage them fine in first gear, changing down before the base of the hill. I get a bit puffed but nothing at all scary. What is best is not just the exercise but actually getting to ride through the moors, along lanes and a canal and I can do that and be home in an hour. Last week I changed a tyre for the first time and sorted out my brake blocks. The week before I cleaned and lubricated the chain.

It most definitely isn`t just health benefits but also the sense of satisfaction. I`ll soon be seventy
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 16th May 17, 12:28 PM
    • 4,666 Posts
    • 44,242 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    Last week I changed a tyre for the first time and sorted out my brake blocks. The week before I cleaned and lubricated the chain.

It most definitely isn`t just health benefits but also the sense of satisfaction. I`ll soon be seventy
    Originally posted by kittie
    I agree with you about the sense of satisfaction in doing your own bike maintenance in addition to health benefits. I bought a chain cleaner from Lidl for my trike and it made a real difference to the smooth running of the chain.
    I have had my trike for 15 years.
    The major maintenance jobs (change pedals, chainset, Shimano gearing, brake cables) have been done by my local bike shop, but in that time I have adjusted and changed brake blocks, adjusted brake cables, fitted many new inner tubes and quite a few new tyres, maintained tyre pressures, cleaned the chainset and gear cassette...
    I am grateful for the expertise of the cycle shop owner for those things I can't do, but I have saved myself a lot of money by doing basic monthly maintenance and simple repair tasks myself.

I'm not as old as you, Kittie, though I am disabled by severe arthritis. If I can do simple maintenance and repair, anyone can.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • boliston
    • By boliston 16th May 17, 2:05 PM
    • 2,172 Posts
    • 1,723 Thanks
    boliston
    the only regular maintenance i can think of it pumping the tyres and oiling the chain - about monthly for tyres and several months for the chain
    • mcculloch29
    • By mcculloch29 16th May 17, 4:28 PM
    • 4,666 Posts
    • 44,242 Thanks
    mcculloch29
    the only regular maintenance i can think of it pumping the tyres and oiling the chain - about monthly for tyres and several months for the chain
    Originally posted by boliston
    There's quite a bit more than that.
    My brakes need tweaking every so often, which is easy with a pair of pliers to grip the brake cable and an Allen key for the cable holder. With my trike, the brakes are both sides of the front wheel, so checking and adjusting the brake blocks is important. Again, an easy job with an Allen key.

As well as oiling the chain, the gear cassette - at the back of my trike - needs regular de-gunging with a wire brush and re-oiling.
    I re-adjust the seat regularly, and make sure the hubs get a squirt of oil too.

Then there is keeping it clean in general, keeping it as dry as possible so rust doesn't get a hold, checking lights are operational and reflectors are clean. These jobs tend to be done almost daily in winter, when working lights are essential and mucky roads more likely.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 18th May 17, 12:41 PM
    • 6,437 Posts
    • 11,774 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    I can't ride a bike due to dyspraxia and a lack of balance. Can't swim either.
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 18th May 17, 1:05 PM
    • 336 Posts
    • 314 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    Like Pollypenny, cycling in West Wales where I live is not as easy as somewhere like Lincolnshire.

However I would like to ask why do some people not kayak, hill-walk, go to the gym....etc.etc.

It's horses for courses really, wouldn't you say?
    • oystercatcher
    • By oystercatcher 18th May 17, 3:34 PM
    • 1,660 Posts
    • 4,209 Thanks
    oystercatcher
    I can't ride a bicycle due to balance problems. So last year I bought a tricycle , I love it but it really makes my knees hurt cycling so that puts me off . I thought cycling was non weight bearing but it certainly seems to make the knees do a lot of work

Over the winter I didn't cycle and knees improve, nice weather, trike out..... dodgy knees again. Now they hurt when I walk and swim too
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,572Posts Today

7,524Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The strange thing with a 4yr old is having to play & smile while inside feeling sick for those in trauma in my birth town #Manchester

• Just a quick ta-ta for now. I'm taking the week off for family time with mini and Mrs MSE. So I won't be here much. Back after the bank hol

• Ugh another one trying it! Beware https://t.co/Ab9fCRA76F

• Follow Martin