Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crumpetman
    • By crumpetman 5th May 17, 1:32 PM
    • 208Posts
    • 565Thanks
    crumpetman
    Barclaycard Cashback removing the 1% Amex card
    • 5th May 17, 1:32 PM
    Barclaycard Cashback removing the 1% Amex card 5th May 17 at 1:32 PM
    Got a letter today, Barclaycard are dropping the 1% cashback Amex card and the Visa card to be replaced with a single card offering 0.5% cashback.

1% cashback ends on July 13.

Is 0.5% still the best? Might have to switch over to Amex proper now.
Page 7
    • greenorange
    • By greenorange 6th Jun 17, 6:47 PM
    • 300 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    greenorange
    I made a complaint, they phoned me, couldn't offer me anything. I closed the complaint at the end of the call.

To be fair, I've already had £50 out of Barclaycard a year or two ago when I threatened to leave, I've never carried a balance, and I like their app/online banking, so will probably just keep the 0.5% card for when my AMEX Gold card isn't accepted.

You can't win them all.
    • karl271186
    • By karl271186 7th Jun 17, 1:39 AM
    • 12 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    karl271186
    I managed to get a £50 credit and advised my sister to call up and do the same. They wouldn't give her anything and said they are aware of this thread.
    • greenorange
    • By greenorange 7th Jun 17, 9:37 AM
    • 300 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    greenorange
    I managed to get a £50 credit and advised my sister to call up and do the same. They wouldn't give her anything and said they are aware of this thread.
    Originally posted by karl271186
    Nobody at Barclaycard is going to care about this thread. Losing a few £50s is a drop in the sea for a bank like Barclays.
    • badlass
    • By badlass 7th Jun 17, 10:17 AM
    • 720 Posts
    • 914 Thanks
    badlass
    Secure messaged and was basically told to like it or lump it.
    Received a phone call this morning again offering no incentive to stay. I countered with the fact that a friend had received a goodwill payment yesterday (which they had) and also mentioned various threads on the Internet. I was told no one had received an incentive then with the next sentence the guy says oh we stopped the incentives 2 days ago. I am absolutely livid, not about the cashback now, but being told barfaced lies by an operative of an institution you should be able to trust. His manager actually admitted the guy had lied! I have escalated my complaint purely for the deceit.

Lx

Off to look at Amex!
    *~Life is short; break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly,
    laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile!!~*
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 7th Jun 17, 11:35 AM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    I'm one of those that did receive the £50 but I've never fully understood why they were doing it?

It's not really an incentive to stay because if you've got a better deal via Amex, you'd take the £50 and still say bye bye. Even if you do stay the goodwill payment only covers about 12 months loss of cashback, what are they going to do offer another £50 the same time next year.

TBH, I think they were very silly paying anything out, Barclaycard had made a decision to half cashback, it was a commercial decision. I don't think that I have an automatic right to 1% CB. There was never any reason for them to offer anything other than an apology and a take it or leave it approach. How can you have a valid complaint about a commercial decision?

That said, if they were stupid enough to be dishing out £50 a pop more fool them, I don't blame anyone for taking it - I did.
    Last edited by NoviceAngel; 07-06-2017 at 11:38 AM.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!
    If I've helped you, please help us HERE!
    • miller
    • By miller 7th Jun 17, 3:12 PM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    miller
    Lloyds with its recent acquisition of MBNA has about 26% of the market and Barclaycard has 27%, I'd guess they are focussed on not losing customers/market share.
    • wslawson
    • By wslawson 11th Jun 17, 10:47 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wslawson
    Hi does anyone know what kind of visa card they replace the amex card with, is it the existing black visa card that came with the account or it a completely new card?
    • miller
    • By miller 11th Jun 17, 12:28 PM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    miller
    Hi does anyone know what kind of visa card they replace the amex card with, is it the existing black visa card that came with the account or it a completely new card?
    Originally posted by wslawson
    It's going to be a new one.
    • TheEffect
    • By TheEffect 11th Jun 17, 6:16 PM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 1,752 Thanks
    TheEffect
    Just called to close my Barclaycard Cashback. 0.5% isn't great, and other banks offer better products (i.e. Nationwide). Wasn't offered anything to keep me, apart from moving to the Freedom Rewards card. I declined and closed the account.

Oh well, had the 1% card for a few years, was good while it lasted.

• Marchitiello
    • By Marchitiello 11th Jun 17, 8:07 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Marchitiello
    Just called to close my Barclaycard Cashback. 0.5% isn't great, and other banks offer better products (i.e. Nationwide). Wasn't offered anything to keep me, apart from moving to the Freedom Rewards card. I declined and closed the account.

Oh well, had the 1% card for a few years, was good while it lasted.
    Originally posted by TheEffect
    How is Nationwide 0.5% CB better then 0.5% Barclaycard?
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 11th Jun 17, 8:26 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    From the poll http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5659171

It looks like most are staying with Barclaycard and those that aren't are switching directly to Amex.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!
    • TheEffect
    • By TheEffect 11th Jun 17, 8:30 PM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 1,752 Thanks
    TheEffect
    Originally posted by Marchitiello
    Same cashback rate, Nationwide however offer free purchases abroad.

• NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 11th Jun 17, 8:31 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    NoviceAngel

They are giving 12 months Interest free apparently I woondered that question myself and thought it was some type of punishment beating towards Barclaycard

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=72660693&postcount=9
    • Marchitiello
    • By Marchitiello 11th Jun 17, 8:35 PM
    • 237 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    Marchitiello
    Nationwide CC is restricted to current account holder and the 0.5% cashback may well be offset by the worst Visa exchange rate (compared to the often mentioned MasterCard's Creation, Halifax Clarity and Santander Zero)
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 11th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    Nationwide CC is restricted to current account holder and the 0.5% cashback may well be offset by the worst Visa exchange rate (compared to the often mentioned MasterCard's Creation, Halifax Clarity and Santander Zero)
    Perfectly true, I have an old Nationwide Gold that pays just 0.25% that doesn't require a Nationwide Current account (even though I have one) I didn't give the interchange rates a thought, I know Martin was pulled up on this and it caused a little storm.

I do however, follow Martins advice and now use the Halifax Clarity MasterCard in my abroad wallet.
    • TheEffect
    • By TheEffect 11th Jun 17, 8:52 PM
    • 2,224 Posts
    • 1,752 Thanks
    TheEffect
    Edit - great for people who bank with nationwide, not so great for others.

• isasmurf
    • By isasmurf 11th Jun 17, 9:36 PM
    • 1,719 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    isasmurf
    Additional cashback on selected retailers through Simply Rewards.
    • miller
    • By miller 12th Jun 17, 8:08 AM
    • 1,131 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    miller
    Additional cashback on selected retailers through Simply Rewards.
    Originally posted by isasmurf
    It may also be possible to layer it with Topcashback/Quidco in-store cashback. I used my Halifax Clarity card (registered for Halifax Cashback Rewards) at a retailer and got cashback through that and Quidco (despite Quidco explicitily excluding cards which are registered for a bank's loyalty scheme).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,841Posts Today

4,968Users online

Martin's Twitter