Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crumpetman
    • By crumpetman 5th May 17, 1:32 PM
    • 211Posts
    • 565Thanks
    crumpetman
    Barclaycard Cashback removing the 1% Amex card
    • 5th May 17, 1:32 PM
    Barclaycard Cashback removing the 1% Amex card 5th May 17 at 1:32 PM
    Got a letter today, Barclaycard are dropping the 1% cashback Amex card and the Visa card to be replaced with a single card offering 0.5% cashback.

1% cashback ends on July 13.

Is 0.5% still the best? Might have to switch over to Amex proper now.
Page 3
    • WillPS
    • By WillPS 10th May 17, 2:20 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    WillPS
    Hmm although surely they would get wise to someone cynically cancelling and re-applying lol
    Originally posted by iAMaLONDONER
    Apparently not, there's communities of people who've done it several times now.

Amex USA made all the sign up bonuses one time only a few years ago. For whatever reason, the UK branch has not (yet) followed suit.
    • Cloudane
    • By Cloudane 10th May 17, 3:57 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Cloudane
    Hmm need to decide what to do. AMEX has always been a pain for me anyway - seems to be about 50/50 whether shops accept it or not because of the fees, and it can be very embarrassing trying it then finding it's not accepted. The till often throws a hissy fit, in worst cases they have to call a supervisor over to help cancel the transaction before you can use another card etc. All while the queue grows impatient behind you. So really don't know if I want to switch to full AMEX.

Amazon is tempting. Same 0.5% deal but 0.75% on things you buy through them. Only in the form of Amazon vouchers, but I buy a lot of stuff there anyway. I also think they're more likely to eventually add Android Pay support (which Barclays will never do).

Or just simplify and do away with cashback cards. I do wonder if carrying extra cards and having extra accounts to log into when budgeting is really worth the £20-40 or so per year that I earn on them. (At best, as that's with most of the big spending being on the Amex card. Maybe that answers my quandary - the places where you spend big often accept it)
    Last edited by Cloudane; 10-05-2017 at 4:01 PM.
    • wolfiesmith
    • By wolfiesmith 10th May 17, 6:04 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    wolfiesmith
    Rang to cancel, hoped I might get the £50 incentive to stay that they did when the dual card was introduced, no luck so cut them up.
    Haven't used it for a while anyway.
    Currently using the Asda Cashback Plus card. Its Asda vouchers, not cashback but works if do some of your shopping in Asda. Has a £3 monthly fee, but gives 2% in Asda, including petrol, 1% everywhere else. Between me and the wife we spend about £1K a month on it, about £300 at Asda, including petrol, and about £700 elsewhere, main shopping at Aldi. Means I get about 1% back in Asda voucher after the £3 fee. Works for me, but only if you do some of your shopping at Asda.
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 10th May 17, 9:17 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    Rang to cancel, hoped I might get the £50 incentive to stay that they did when the dual card was introduced, no luck so cut them up.....
    Originally posted by wolfiesmith
    Blimey, looks like I missed out on £50 a few years ago!

I think the difference this time is the vastly reduced commission that they receive since the EU legislation last year.

(EDIT should say as someone that runs my own business) - It is true that the % rate that I pay on card transactions has reduced significantly(typically down by 1%) the fact of the matter, in order to maintain profits, the intermediarys such as streamline, Worldpay, sagepay have only introduced minimum card charges and charge for extras like PCI compliance which now costs me as a business £50 extra a year and 'standing charges' for a virtual terminal have increased by £10 up from £20 to £30 a month, so the end result - consumer is worse off in CB, business pay higher charges overall the credit card issuers even lose in the reduced % they get, the only winners are the card acquiring companies that are in the middle.

Typical example of meddling with a system that the majority were happy with and making things 10 times worse !!
    Last edited by NoviceAngel; 10-05-2017 at 9:27 PM.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • iAMaLONDONER
    • By iAMaLONDONER 10th May 17, 9:42 PM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    iAMaLONDONER
    Apparently not, there's communities of people who've done it several times now.

Amex USA made all the sign up bonuses one time only a few years ago. For whatever reason, the UK branch has not (yet) followed suit.
    Originally posted by WillPS
    Maybe the merchant fee caps might change this sooner than otherwise...
    • WillPS
    • By WillPS 11th May 17, 2:04 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    WillPS
    Maybe the merchant fee caps might change this sooner than otherwise...
    Originally posted by iAMaLONDONER
    Amex's core products (Basic, Green, Gold, Platinum, Centurion branded) are not subject to the interchange cap, so if they change it'd be in reaction to others who are affected - but Amex are pretty much the only game in town for churning now anyway.

The situation with BA, Nectar and Costco branded cards is less clear.
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 13th May 17, 5:14 PM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    i have the M&S Card currently too. they have only given me a £2k limit though, so the IFP is not very useful .......
    Originally posted by planteria
    That's my only concern too,

If they send mine out with a silly limit, then it's back over to Amex.
    Originally posted by NoviceAngel
    My card came today also with a £2k limit - in comparison my Barclaycard and Amex have limits just above £10k.. What on earth is the point in issuing a card with such a low limit? What a waste of my time even applying.
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • Marchitiello
    • By Marchitiello 13th May 17, 7:41 PM
    • 269 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    Marchitiello
    My card came today also with a £2k limit - in comparison my Barclaycard and Amex have limits just above £10k.. What on earth is the point in issuing a card with such a low limit? What a waste of my time even applying.
    If you have high limits elsewhere and new cards will increase your available credit to earning ratio, new card applications will tend to come with lower limits. I have two cards with limits above or just under £20k but when I applied for another card they gave me only a £5k limit last year.

MBNA for example has a tendency to allow new application but automatically transfer some of the limits from other cards you own with them, or use the application data and reduce the overall credit line with them (I know someone who had two cards with them with £10k limits on each and when he applied for a third one because of the airline miles bonus offer, MBNA reduced the first two cards limits at £4K each and the new one at £2k, effectively halving in credit line with them- the same guy had opened new cards with other issuers in the months before...). With me, the simply moved some of the existing credit line onto the latest card, reducing the previous one.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 14th May 17, 10:20 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    That's a shame - I'm a sole trader and earn around £70 a month using the Amex 1% cashback.
    Originally posted by mattyprice4004
    Has the annual cashback cap of £200 been removed then?
    • planteria
    • By planteria 14th May 17, 11:44 AM
    • 4,852 Posts
    • 1,062 Thanks
    planteria
    Typical example of meddling with a system that the majority were happy with and making things 10 times worse !!
    no doubt. along with forcing the break up and weakening of UK banks.
    • planteria
    • By planteria 14th May 17, 11:47 AM
    • 4,852 Posts
    • 1,062 Thanks
    planteria
    Hmm need to decide what to do. AMEX has always been a pain for me anyway - seems to be about 50/50 whether shops accept it or not because of the fees, and it can be very embarrassing trying it then finding it's not accepted. The till often throws a hissy fit, in worst cases they have to call a supervisor over to help cancel the transaction before you can use another card etc. All while the queue grows impatient behind you. So really don't know if I want to switch to full AMEX.
    Originally posted by Cloudane
    how recent is that experience? in the rare instances that Amex isn't accepted, and i don't anticipate it in the couple of places that i know don't accept Amex, the transaction just doesn't complete and i whip out a Mastercard. no hassle at all.
    • planteria
    • By planteria 14th May 17, 11:51 AM
    • 4,852 Posts
    • 1,062 Thanks
    planteria
    i have generally found the HSBC stable to be tight limit-wise, even though i bank with them. i'm using M&S as an Amex back up for now, and there is at least a nice IFP.. but if i finish up with some spare cash i really don't need i might just clear it and close to tidy up.
    • Jlawson118
    • By Jlawson118 14th May 17, 3:57 PM
    • 829 Posts
    • 109 Thanks
    Jlawson118
    Somebody on one of these forums advised me to look into it a few months ago and I couldn't find it so I assumed it had already discontinued back then..

Though as @PeacefulWaters says, it wouldn't surprise me either if Lloyd's discontinue them as well. TSB already did
    • Cloudane
    • By Cloudane 16th May 17, 12:00 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 354 Thanks
    Cloudane
    how recent is that experience? in the rare instances that Amex isn't accepted, and i don't anticipate it in the couple of places that i know don't accept Amex, the transaction just doesn't complete and i whip out a Mastercard. no hassle at all.
    Originally posted by planteria
    The worst case example was a year or two ago, I can't remember which shop it was but I was there for like 5 minutes while they looked puzzled and ended up having to call a supervisor over. Granted, 9 times out of 10 it's just "huh it didn't work? Oh we don't take Amex" and having to get the other card out. It's still a bit of an embarrassing situation and in my experience (up to this year) maybe 30% of shops still don't accept it. Basically any small independent business, which there are a lot of around here. Big names all accept it.
    • Fingerbobs
    • By Fingerbobs 17th May 17, 12:02 AM
    • 340 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    Fingerbobs
    Big names all accept it.
    Originally posted by Cloudane
    Not all big names accept Amex. B&Q don't accept it, either Screwfix or Toolstation (I can't remember which off the top of my head) don't accept it (but the other one does), Greggs don't accept it, Lidl doesn't accept it, The Works doesn't accept it, and that's just a few off the top of my head.
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 17th May 17, 6:26 AM
    • 1,888 Posts
    • 573 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    Not all big names accept Amex. B&Q don't accept it, either Screwfix or Toolstation (I can't remember which off the top of my head) don't accept it (but the other one does), Greggs don't accept it, Lidl doesn't accept it, The Works doesn't accept it, and that's just a few off the top of my head.
    Originally posted by Fingerbobs
    It's true that Screwfix don't accept Amex direct, but they do accept PayPal, so I pay via PayPal and get my 1% CB until July anyway

• mcpitman
    • By mcpitman 17th May 17, 8:53 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    mcpitman
    Odd, i haven't had a letter about this and i have the dual AMEX/Visa BC account at the mo (again an old Egg Money card transferred to BC when Egg went bust).
    Life isn't about the number of breaths we take, but the moments that take our breath away. Like choking....
    • WillPS
    • By WillPS 17th May 17, 9:10 AM
    • 201 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    WillPS
    Odd, i haven't had a letter about this and i have the dual AMEX/Visa BC account at the mo (again an old Egg Money card transferred to BC when Egg went bust).
    Originally posted by mcpitman
    Nor me - I was transferred from Freedom Rewards to Cashback last July.
    • TheEffect
    • By TheEffect 17th May 17, 5:31 PM
    • 2,230 Posts
    • 1,753 Thanks
    TheEffect
    Originally posted by mcpitman
    I haven't either, however have seen confirmation on twitter that Barclaycard are ending their relationship with AMEX, so there's no chance this is for selective customers, rather than all.

• mau408
    • By mau408 23rd May 17, 10:57 PM
    • 168 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    mau408
    Secure message sent today - I'm waiting a reply
    To Whom It May Concern
    I am writing in response to your letter dated May 2017 regarding my Barclaycard Cashback Credit Cards.
    My original credit card agreement was an Egg Mastercard before April 2008 which included a 1% cashback on up to £20,000 paid on its anniversary for cashback above £5. I wanted to be ‘rewarded for my spending’ and was under the impression that so long as I kept to my agreement terms and conditions I would be able to maintain a ‘reasonable 1% reward’.
    I believe Barclaycard took over in 2011 these agreements and they changed my card to Barclaycard World Mastercard. New customers had to pay a small fee each year but because I was an existing customer it was waived. It offered other insurance and protection products and included extended warranties and missed event cover and the 1% cashback was maintained.
    Then in April 2014 Barclaycard changed my agreement for ‘people who liked rewards’ to a 1% cashback AMEX card and a 0.5% cashback Visa card, with both cards counting as one account. Instead of waiting for the cashback to accumulate in March the cashback could be requested at any time. I believe Barclaycard stated "all customers will be better off", but I note that AMEX credit cards are less widely accepted than their Visa counterparts, and often a retailer wouldn’t accept Amex, meaning I had to use their Visa and earn the lower 0.5% cashback. This was a lie and I wasn’t better off. I didn’t receive a £50 incentive to try maintain my business, which I believe other card users have.
    Your most recent letter states that Barclaycards partnership with AMEX is coming to an end and I will stop earning 1% cashback on my AMEX spend. My account is to be transferred to a new cashback account with only 0.5% cashback on all spend which is not paid until July every year.
    Unless my 1% cashback reward is to be maintained I have no further reason to keep the account open and will on receipt of no valid reasons undergo closure of my account. I await your reply.

Anyone fancy sending something similar, so that maybe barclaycard will do something about the cashback reward?

I am of course awaiting a response.
    Last edited by mau408; 23-05-2017 at 11:01 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,353Posts Today

9,274Users online

Martin's Twitter