Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BikingBud
    • By BikingBud 4th May 17, 8:01 PM
    • 92Posts
    • 46Thanks
    BikingBud
    Are Car Hire Firms Legally Obliged to Pay Charge Notices?
    • 4th May 17, 8:01 PM
    Are Car Hire Firms Legally Obliged to Pay Charge Notices? 4th May 17 at 8:01 PM
    I am in dispute with a car hire firm about an erroneous charge notice. We were staying in the hotel at a motorway service station and therefore parked legitimately.

I immediately spoke with the hotel and they advised that the correction would be submitted, however to date I have not had my funds returned.

I have spoken to and and emailed the car hire company they inform me they are legally obliged to pay the charge notice, they subsequently add a management fee

They have sent me a letter that I may use to dispute the charge but this refers to Penalty Charges and councils, clearly not the same situation so not really applicable.

My main point of concern is the speed at which funds were withdrawn, without confirming the situation. Grounds for any immediate appeal are denied.

Moreover the front of the Rental Agreement does say "any Penalty or Parking Charge notice" however from the rental terms and conditions:
    5. Charges
    d. Additional Obligations - You shall pay to us on demand:
    • All fines and court costs for parking, bus lane, congestion charge, traffic or other offences assessed against the Vehicle, us, you, any Additional Drive or any other driver you permitted to use the Vehicle until the Vehicle is returned unless caused by our own fault

So on the basis that a Parking Charge is not a fine nor a court cost and they have not demanded but just taken should they have just passed the charge notice on rather than wrapping it as a violation.

Advice and comments very gratefully accepted.
Page 2
    • StaffsSW
    • By StaffsSW 3rd Oct 17, 10:58 AM
    • 5,368 Posts
    • 5,401 Thanks
    StaffsSW
    So I also complained to BVRLA and got the following:

Credit card company refund my cash. Heard nothing from Hire Car Company
    Originally posted by BikingBud
    This will also have more of an impact on the hire company than anything the BVRLA could impose.

The hire company could still come after you to recover their "losses", so do keep all of your paperwork and documents relating to this matter.
    <--- Nothing to see here - move along --->
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

377Posts Today

3,131Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin