Main site > MoneySavingExpert.com Forums > Who & Where are You? > Green & Ethical MoneySaving > My vegetable oil fuel experience... (Page 1)

IMPORTANT! This is MoneySavingExpert's open forum - anyone can post

Please exercise caution & report any spam, illegal, offensive, racist, libellous post to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com

• Be nice to all MoneySavers
  • All the best tips go in the MoneySavingExpert weekly email

Plus all the new guides, deals & loopholes

• No spam/referral links
or Login with Facebook
My vegetable oil fuel experience...
Closed Thread
Views: 20,619
# 1
eco123
Old 30-09-2007, 4:52 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Arrow My vegetable oil fuel experience...

Running just fine at 30% veg oil 2 weeks later....very happy so far

Last edited by eco123; 15-10-2007 at 11:09 PM. Reason: update
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to eco123 For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 2
navig8r
Old 01-10-2007, 8:10 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

It will be interesting to see your findings but in the mean time interested viewers can do some research into potential cheaper motoring without upsetting customs and excise

I had a visitor to my house last week who's car smelled as if there was a BBQ in the back and while we were chatting he showed be in his boot which was full of bottles of cooking oil which he had just collected from asda and were destined for the fuel tank of his Astra which explained the aroma.To see if your car can run on svo ( straight veg oil) or part veg oil have a look on this link, there are hundreds of pages if you google : svo followed by the name of you vehicle which shows if your vehicle needs any mods: http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...lnk&cd=2&gl=uk
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to navig8r For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 3
punamulta
Old 01-10-2007, 10:28 AM
MoneySaving Convert

This is a good idea but this article suggests you shouldn't leave it in your tank too long?.

'Being biodegradable might be good for the environment if there is a fuel spillage, but microbiological attack in storage tanks is not. Like humans, microbes need food and water. They live in the water and eat the fuel to grow. As they multiply they produce acid waste, which can corrode and perforate steel tanks. They form mats of slime that clog filters and plug fuel lines. To cap it all, microbial growth in biodiesel occurs at up to four times the rate in conventional diesel and is very expensive to expel. To date there have been outbreaks of microbiological infestations in biodiesel tanks in the North West, North East and South East.'

rest of article http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/...it/mfbio21.xml
# 4
barrymung
Old 01-10-2007, 10:59 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi

Could you let us know what sort of diesel engine you have (Probably a DW8) and what type of fuel injection pump (Probably either Bosch or Lucas)?

I have been looking into this myself but have had differing feedback, depending what set up is fitted)
# 5
navig8r
Old 01-10-2007, 11:48 AM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Default veg oil conversion kit

http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:A...lnk&cd=1&gl=uk
# 6
Andy_Edinburgh
Old 01-10-2007, 12:20 PM
MoneySaving Convert

> It will be interesting to see your findings but in the mean time interested viewers can do some research into potential cheaper motoring without upsetting customs and excise

HMC&E changed the taxation rules for bio-fuels in June, meaning that veg oil is now tax-exempt for users of up to 2,500litres per year; you can follow the threads back to the HMC&E rules via

http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/...d.php?tid=3013

A Google search should find you the official HMC&E declaration on this, "straight from the horse's mouth". I think it would be a good idea to continue keeping records of veg oil quantities/dates/mileages in case any auditing was ever required.

(Last week some semi-literate clown on MSE was threatening all manner of punishments including imprisonment for those who dare to use veg oil, although he clearly hadn't made any attempt to establish a factual basis for such threats)

I'm very interested to hear of your progress using veg oil, particularly how it affects starting in the cold weather. Please keep the posts coming.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy_Edinburgh For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 7
GarethK
Old 06-11-2007, 10:01 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Send a message via MSN to GarethK

I am using 90% SVO in my Citroen Xantia, i tried various mixs before using such a high percentage. Starting yesterday with 2 goes on the glow plugs it started straight away, with a slight lumpiness for 5-10 seconds then it was gone and run exactly as diesel.

Of course, my car uses a Bosch pump so its perfectly safe for SVO, it also has a fuel filter heater which helps when the engine has warmed up.

Performance is virtually identical, not quite so good top end but if your not on the governer all the time, not an issue. Apart from the smell i cant think of any bad points, as long as your car is well maintained, you change the oil more often as it contaminates quicker, and also keep and eye on the fuel filter for any dislodged crap from the lines and tank.

This happened when i used B100 biodiesel, within 60 miles it got air locks in the system and big loss of performance, however 2 fuel filters later and cleaning the tank pick up, it is now nice and clean and had no problems since.
The Following User Says Thank You to GarethK For This Useful Post: Show me >>
# 8
navig8r
Old 06-11-2007, 1:25 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarethK View Post
I am using 90% SVO in my Citroen Xantia
Just to be clear on this,does not SVO refer to Straight veg oil (100%) and what you are using 90% veg oil and 10% diesel ??

Dave
# 9
GarethK
Old 06-11-2007, 1:54 PM
MoneySaving Convert

No, SVO means pure, unused vegetable oil as opposed to WVO, which is waste vegetable. So 50 litres of SVO (off the shelf basicaly) and 10% dino-diesel as an example.
# 10
TheOne
Old 09-11-2007, 12:57 AM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymung View Post
Hi

Could you let us know what sort of diesel engine you have (Probably a DW8) and what type of fuel injection pump (Probably either Bosch or Lucas)?

I have been looking into this myself but have had differing feedback, depending what set up is fitted)
I read that a Bosch pump is better because its more able to cope with the slightly thicker veg oil.
I also found this page: (which is the same car as what I have)
http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/...iew.php?id=275
Main page: http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/...allentries.php
(same site as the forum linked by Andy_Edinburgh)
So I'm thinking of putting some veg oil in my 02 Peugeot 206 HDI
If anyone finds any more links on what cars can/cant use diesel/veg oil mix and what injector pump is best please post.
# 11
GarethK
Old 11-11-2007, 12:19 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
If anyone finds any more links on what cars can/cant use diesel/veg oil mix and what injector pump is best please post.

DONT!

Your HDI engine is not suitable for SVO/WVO use, it uses high pressure direct injection which will not tolerate any increase in fuel viscosity, the lift pumps in the tank are known to fail and the injectors and fuel system in general are not suitable. Small amounts of biodiesel (20%, maybe more but do seek professional advice first) could be suitable.

It is the older engines which do not use high pressure fuel systems such as mine that can run good on it. IDI or indirect injections seem to thrive on it, because their pre-combustion chambers promote swirl and obviously combustion before it fully enters the cylinders, so less chance of poor atomisation as a result. This is why IDI engines originally were quieter than early DI engines, however, they are not asefficient and with advances in technology, competed with IDI's in terms of noise and smoothness.

The HDI engine replaced the XUD9 PSA engine and is better on fuel, more torque peaks lower and is more responsive, but the downside is, it is less tolerant of different fuels. My advice would be to stick to the normal stuff, ensure you get the best MPG possible by making sure the engine is properly serviced, uses the correct oil grade and gets warm enough, and there is no reason why you cannot see 55mpg normally.

My Xantia, which is a 1300kg car and uses the older IDI engine is not so good on fuel, on diesel it will exceed 40mpg no problem, on veg, i'm getting 38mpg, but this is very much mixed driving alot of it stop start and short journeys, the saving i make though is still huge so i am not majorly fussed and if i drove with a less heavy right foot, would see better returns.
# 12
globalds
Old 11-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Fantastically Fervent MoneySaving Super Fan

Intersting thread this one ...Lots of interesting info .

If I were to buy a used car ...No real limit on price ..still in the normal car range ..Nor age ..although i don't want something too old .

What would be the best choice maker or model for running on SVO/WVO ,as in the highest percentage and tends to give the most trouble free milage ?

Also is there a comercial vehicle that stands out from the crowd ?
Speak when you are angry--and you will make the best speech you'll ever regret

Anger makes dull men witty, but it keeps them poor.

..............JAFA CHALENGE ......01/08...#16
# 13
deano777
Old 15-12-2007, 11:51 AM
MoneySaving Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne View Post
I
your HDi engine will be fine as long as you twin tank it and get it fitted by people like smartveg.

in general you should not run veg oil through you IP or engine untill the fuel return reaches 45Deg C

I have done 12K miles on SVO without any issues, using a twin tank system.

The best sort of diesel is an older one, personally i would not touch anything french been there done that learnt my lesson, had two xantia's Hdi and a old XUD one both to unreliable and to expensive to run all ways going wrong. current car is a nissan primera, loves the SVO and has a denso fuel pump.
# 14
GarethK
Old 15-12-2007, 8:35 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Weird about your french car experience my Xantia is great, is the cheapest car i've ever had to run (on SVO of course!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano777 View Post
your HDi engine will be fine as long as you twin tank it and get it fitted by people like smartveg.

in general you should not run veg oil through you IP or engine untill the fuel return reaches 45Deg C

I have done 12K miles on SVO without any issues, using a twin tank system.

The best sort of diesel is an older one, personally i would not touch anything french been there done that learnt my lesson, had two xantia's Hdi and a old XUD one both to unreliable and to expensive to run all ways going wrong. current car is a nissan primera, loves the SVO and has a denso fuel pump.
# 15
calbri
Old 21-02-2008, 7:02 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Re: My vegetable oil fuel experience...

I have a Nissan Primera Turbo Diesel. This entry http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/...iew.php?id=382 was made by myself on 03-08-2006. The car has been running on pure veg oil since then and is still going strong. At this time of writing with the recent cold spell the veg oil has been mixed 50/50 with diesel (much to my hate) It is legal to run on veg oil, as someone else has stated, so long as you use no more than 2500 litres a year. I think that to truly qualify for using veg oil you have to be producing some sort of biodiesel, how you achieve this from supermarket veg oil is quite simple, you simply have to put some other ingredient with it to call it a fuel that you have produced. It could be a bit of diesel, petrol, meths or parafin. So long as you have converted the veg oil into a biodiesel I think you comply, but how little the amount of the added ingredient you actually put in is up to you (once it is in a fuel tank it is going to have a taint of diesel anyway) Since starting on the veg oil it has nearly doubled in price in just over 18 months, to buy it now from the supermarket or wholesaler is around 75p per litre whereas it was 44p before, more info needed?, just ask in a post below this or PM me.
No carbon footprint was created, or animals harmed in the making of this signature.
# 16
nelsonapril
Old 23-06-2008, 7:32 PM
MoneySaving Newbie

Default Peugeot 406 HDi engine

Today we put vegetable oil in our HDi engine and unfortunately it no longer starts. Just a warning to other HDi engine owners.
# 17
caffenero
Old 23-06-2008, 9:05 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

anyone any ideas if a 2002 VW GOLF 130 GT TDI can use veg oil or biodiesel cant find it on the search....

has anyone found a place that sells biodiesel, if so how much is it per litre?
# 18
GarethK
Old 24-06-2008, 8:47 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonapril View Post
Today we put vegetable oil in our HDi engine and unfortunately it no longer starts. Just a warning to other HDi engine owners.

Quote:
DONT!

Your HDI engine is not suitable for SVO/WVO use, it uses high pressure direct injection which will not tolerate any increase in fuel viscosity, the lift pumps in the tank are known to fail and the injectors and fuel system in general are not suitable. Small amounts of biodiesel (20%, maybe more but do seek professional advice first) could be suitable.
And you did that despite all the advice given? How much money did you save by adding vegetable oil to your tank? Probably cost you at least £5-600 quid to fix it, that would buy a decent amount of diesel. I can actually say, told you so!
# 19
GarethK
Old 24-06-2008, 8:51 PM
MoneySaving Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by caffenero View Post
anyone any ideas if a 2002 VW GOLF 130 GT TDI can use veg oil or biodiesel cant find it on the search....

has anyone found a place that sells biodiesel, if so how much is it per litre?

Biodiesel yes, but dont do something stupid like SVO into your tank...
# 20
Mum_of_3
Old 25-06-2008, 12:19 PM
MoneySaving Stalwart

Hi!

This is a really interesting thread & some of you guys seem very knowledgeable about the whole thing, so I was wondering if you could help me.

My partner runs a 1993 (K-reg) Ford Transit tipper 190D LWB 2496CC and I was just wondering if it would run on either waste or pure veg oil??

With the price of diesel rising practically every day even a small amount would make a difference to our pockets.

Thanks

M_o_3
Closed Thread