Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 4th May 17, 11:12 AM
    • 2,588Posts
    • 26,722Thanks
    XSpender
    Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt
    • 4th May 17, 11:12 AM
    Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt 4th May 17 at 11:12 AM
    How do I start what feels like yet another diary?

After being on the MFW board I have come back to the DFW board to shift the debt we have run up in the last 12 months.

A quick back story….DH and I are classic impulsive over spenders who went pop back in late 2008 and managed to climb out of the pit of debt we were in by me losing my job and a big redundancy pay out in early 2010. We avoided debt until 12 months ago when we found our dream house about 4 months before we had planned to start looking which we could afford but were short on the deposit. If we had only ended up borrowing the bit we needed to top up the deposit we would be have been debt free by now.

We have run up debt on buying the house, having some work done in the house and some furniture and soft furnishings and impulsive spending on holidays, meals out and the odd high ticket item. We thought we were past making these kinds of stupid decisions and are both worried and angry with ourselves at the level of debt we are in once again.

The one thing we are agreed on is that we will live on fresh air to keep this house and we need to sort our finances out to give us the security that this could never happen. One day I will get to be a MFW again!

To make matters worse 6 months after we moved DH has had some issues at work and has taken a job (same company) at a different location which has resulted in a reduction in the bonus he is paid monthly effectively reducing his monthly take home pay and his travel costs have gone up significantly. It hasn’t done much to reduce his stress levels either!

Worrying about money and our financial security has started to get to me and I don’t want to feel like that again, I thought I had left that behind in 2010. It makes me worry about losing my job and I then start to doubt my ability to do my job. I also worry it will impact on our ability to re-mortgage at a good rate in 12 months’ time.

I manage the finances but DH has (finally) got on board and has been writing his own plan about how we can stop spending and stop buying so we can owe nowt. Our good friends are also pulling in the purse strings as they have a family holiday to pay for so we have agreed to entertain each other at home rather than go out for meals with the kids which we did at least twice a month.

Current Debts

Bank of Mum and Dad - £4336.66 (17 payments left)
    Bank Loan - £12,114.51 (49 payments left)
    Bank CC - £9019.51 (1% payment to come off for May) – all at 0%
    DH CC - £5500 approx. – all at 0% until August
    My CC – £5782.31 – mostly 0% but some spending at standard rate
    BNPL – £400 – due 21st December 2017
    Owed to DS – £1296.79 – 0%
    Balance of trip to New York - £1098 due October 2017

TOTAL £39,547.78

Our plan is to drastically cut our spending and cancel the trip to New York for a start. There is not much we can do about our bills until June/July when they will all be up for renewal and I will hit the comparison sites. It is our spending on food and booze and stuff that needs to be reigned in hence the title of this diary.

If we can stop adding to the debt by paying the minimum payments each month as well as clearing the BNPL we will knock £6000 off the balance by the end of this year. My goal is to be under £30,000 owed by the end of the year and then have cleared all CCs by June 2018 which is a massive challenge. We both get performance related bonuses, DH quarterly and me twice a year but none of these are guaranteed.

Wish us luck and control over our spending urges.
    PAYDBX 2017 #99 from 4/5 - £2664.28/£10,000 26.6%
    Total Owed £39,547.78 May '17 Total owed July 17 £36883.50 Savings goal £1000 EF - £400
    DFD - May 2021 goal Feb 2020
Page 9
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 7th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 13,196 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    Well done to MrX! Have fun redoing the budget with extra monies
    £450/3000 OH BC(85% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £450/31010.23 (98.54% paid)
    Mortgage - £161,950.00 (2017 O/P £1774.74) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £16241.98/14,539.71
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 9th Sep 17, 7:56 AM
    • 2,588 Posts
    • 26,722 Thanks
    XSpender
    Thank you for all the kind messages for DH. It has finally sunk in and he is excited to start next month.

Expensive week with £70 at the vets and some dog medicine to pick up on Monday will be an additional spend. Only the second time that the pooch has even had anything done at the vets in his 13 years. 3 birthdays needed cards and stamps but only 1 gift to buy for DFIL, he will probably want money.

Haircut today and DS and I will get DH a new job card and a new tie as a gift. His current job provides a company tie to be worn with a white shirt and at the new job he can wear anything but doesn't have any other ties.

£6.10 spent at the F&V stall near DH work yesterday and I will need a few SW friendly bits today. I haven't done well on SW this week, although I haven't gone mad, and if I lose anything I will be pleased.

New budget has been done but still need to agree everything with DH and work out our plan for the next 12 months, 3 years and 5 years.
    Total Owed £39,547.78 May '17 Total owed July 17 £36883.50 Savings goal £1000 EF - £400
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 9th Sep 17, 9:59 PM
    • 2,588 Posts
    • 26,722 Thanks
    XSpender
    I was just about to leave the house this morning when the hairdressers rang to say my hairdresser was sick and my appointment had to be moved to next week. I can hardly see from under my fringe but I am sure I can cope for another week.

Because we didn't go into the city I didn't get DH gift and card but may wait until nearer the time he starts his new job.

We bought the film but were too late in to watch it so will cuddle up on the sofa tomorrow after DS has finished rugby training and watch it then.

I have stuck to SW, and made some gorgeous free soup for lunch, until tonight when I ate a small GF pizza and a glass of wine
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Sep 17, 12:21 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 2,094 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Well at least it was a small pizza and your stuck to one glass of wine!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,462Posts Today

6,917Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin