Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 4th May 17, 11:12 AM
    • 2,584Posts
    • 26,673Thanks
    XSpender
    Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt
    • 4th May 17, 11:12 AM
    Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt 4th May 17 at 11:12 AM
    How do I start what feels like yet another diary?

After being on the MFW board I have come back to the DFW board to shift the debt we have run up in the last 12 months.

A quick back story….DH and I are classic impulsive over spenders who went pop back in late 2008 and managed to climb out of the pit of debt we were in by me losing my job and a big redundancy pay out in early 2010. We avoided debt until 12 months ago when we found our dream house about 4 months before we had planned to start looking which we could afford but were short on the deposit. If we had only ended up borrowing the bit we needed to top up the deposit we would be have been debt free by now.

We have run up debt on buying the house, having some work done in the house and some furniture and soft furnishings and impulsive spending on holidays, meals out and the odd high ticket item. We thought we were past making these kinds of stupid decisions and are both worried and angry with ourselves at the level of debt we are in once again.

The one thing we are agreed on is that we will live on fresh air to keep this house and we need to sort our finances out to give us the security that this could never happen. One day I will get to be a MFW again!

To make matters worse 6 months after we moved DH has had some issues at work and has taken a job (same company) at a different location which has resulted in a reduction in the bonus he is paid monthly effectively reducing his monthly take home pay and his travel costs have gone up significantly. It hasn’t done much to reduce his stress levels either!

Worrying about money and our financial security has started to get to me and I don’t want to feel like that again, I thought I had left that behind in 2010. It makes me worry about losing my job and I then start to doubt my ability to do my job. I also worry it will impact on our ability to re-mortgage at a good rate in 12 months’ time.

I manage the finances but DH has (finally) got on board and has been writing his own plan about how we can stop spending and stop buying so we can owe nowt. Our good friends are also pulling in the purse strings as they have a family holiday to pay for so we have agreed to entertain each other at home rather than go out for meals with the kids which we did at least twice a month.

Current Debts

Bank of Mum and Dad - £4336.66 (17 payments left)
    Bank Loan - £12,114.51 (49 payments left)
    Bank CC - £9019.51 (1% payment to come off for May) – all at 0%
    DH CC - £5500 approx. – all at 0% until August
    My CC – £5782.31 – mostly 0% but some spending at standard rate
    BNPL – £400 – due 21st December 2017
    Owed to DS – £1296.79 – 0%
    Balance of trip to New York - £1098 due October 2017

TOTAL £39,547.78

Our plan is to drastically cut our spending and cancel the trip to New York for a start. There is not much we can do about our bills until June/July when they will all be up for renewal and I will hit the comparison sites. It is our spending on food and booze and stuff that needs to be reigned in hence the title of this diary.

If we can stop adding to the debt by paying the minimum payments each month as well as clearing the BNPL we will knock £6000 off the balance by the end of this year. My goal is to be under £30,000 owed by the end of the year and then have cleared all CCs by June 2018 which is a massive challenge. We both get performance related bonuses, DH quarterly and me twice a year but none of these are guaranteed.

Wish us luck and control over our spending urges.
    PAYDBX 2017 #99 from 4/5 - £2664.28/£10,000 26.6%
    Total Owed £39,547.78 May '17 Total owed July 17 £36883.50 Savings goal £1000 EF - £400
    DFD - May 2021 goal Feb 2020
Page 6
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 15th Jun 17, 4:13 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 26,673 Thanks
    XSpender
    Spent yesterday on fathers day cards x 3, stamps and 2 bags of my favourite crisps from the post office as I was hungry after a morning meeting.

After what I thought was a good breakfast, the crisps led to a day of poor eating. I should have just opened my mouth and poured the sugar bowl in I felt so tired I had to go and have a lie down and then took the dog out for half an hour to get some fresh air to wake me up!

I have realised that my breakfast porridge was too small so I got too hungry. I used to make that size and put protein powder in it which would fill me up but it is too small on its own. I doubled it today and it satisfied me until 11am.

I made flaxseed 'bread' for the first time today at lunchtime and it was delicious, definitely a recipe I will make often in the future as it was quick and easy and I have all the ingredients to hand. Today's eating has been grain and refined sugar free so far with a new recipe to try for dinner that is also grain free. I am planning to make a batch of apple muncher'sbanana and PB ice cream at the weekend to head off any evening sweet cravings an have some grain and sugar free cookie recipes to try.

I checked my interest bearing CC today to see if the payments I have made have come off the interest bearing part of the balance. The statement was produced today, which is good to know, and the payments have come off but with the spending on the garden last month the balance has actually increased on this bit to £1599.06 from £1199.17 although I had the balance of the total card right on YNAB. When I do the BT next month to DH 0% card in July I will need to see if this can be cleared or at least reduced. If not it is where I will continue to focus our overpayments.

Focussing on the small balances and their rates/promotion expiry dates is much more motivating than looking at the balance of £6k+ on this one card. Paying off the small balances seems more achievable and an overpayment has a bigger impact on reducing the balance. I do keep wanting to pay off the Argoss BNPL but at £50/mnth it is on target to be cleared before the due date so there is no benefit to paying it off. It's just the smallest debt and would mean 1 less to worry about.

I'm still a bit worried about the contract at work and what it means for my job. I won't know anything more until Tuesday and TBH we will probably be kept in the dark anyway. I don't want to leave my company but I will update my CV to be prepared if something does happen.

Not much else to report. I do have over £100 in YNAB available to budget and will have CB due in a couple of weeks so I may be able to make another cheeky debt repayment and add a bit to the mini emergency fund before the end of the month.

There is not enough left in the much reduced food budget for the rest of the month but I am hoping to pinch a bit from the booze budget as DH has not had much beer so far this month and is out on Saturday night so won't need any then. I might still need another £50 or so, will see what I can do to keep spends down.
    Last edited by XSpender; 15-06-2017 at 4:28 PM.
    Total Owed £39,547.78 May '17 Total owed July 17 £36883.50 Savings goal £1000 EF - £400
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 16th Jun 17, 7:51 AM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 26,673 Thanks
    XSpender
    Internet banking checked and YNAB updated.

Things to do today:

Submit meter readings to new energy company
    Submit same to old energy company just in case
    Email to DS swimming club to cancel lessons
    Finish document for work
    Finish report for work
    Work emails
    Grain free day
    Sugar free day
    Walk the dog (for longer than his usual afternoon jaunt)
    Meal plan and shopping list
    Food shop

The trip to Aldi may be later tonight as tomorrow DH is cycling in the morning and then out in the early evening and I would rather not drag DS shopping if I can help it! If I get most of my work done this morning I may nip out at lunchtime and take the dog out later.

I don't know if I mentioned it but we have started to strip the hall/stairs/landing of paper (2 layers of it!) so the place is a mess. This will need to be completed this weekend so we can get DH friend round to quote for plastering over the aertex ceilings next week. I have the money set aside for this as we budget £100/month for work in the house and have added to this from my bonus this month.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 17th Jun 17, 10:08 AM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 26,673 Thanks
    XSpender
    Hmmm, I didn't get very far yesterday..

Things to do yesterday:

Submit meter readings to new energy company
    Submit same to old energy company just in case
    Email to DS swimming club to cancel lessons
    Finish document for work
    Finish report for work
    Work emails
    Grain free day
    Sugar free day
    Walk the dog (for longer than his usual afternoon jaunt)
    Meal plan and shopping list
    Food shop

DH is not out on his bike this morning which means we may make some headway with stripping the walls. He is currently stripping his PS4 so it may be a while before we start

DH and DS had bacon sandwiches for breakfast after the bacon I bought for a treat for tomorrow was spotted. I have had a smoothie bowl and a piece of bacon

I did well on no grain yesterday but failed on no sugar. I need to have some sugar free treats made to grab so will rustle up so lemon and cranberry biscotti and some coconut macaroons this afternoon.

It is a beautiful day today so we will take the dog out for a good hour as he didn't get a long walk yesterday. He is currently sun bathing in the patches of sun coming through the dining room window.

Aldi have their camping specials starting tomorrow and as we are planning on taking DS camping for a couple of nights in August we are going to buy some of the items we need i.e. cool box, chairs and cooker. I thought I had missed this promotion but I haven't The money for this will be taken from the extra I had added to the house pot for the work in the hall. There will still be enough in there for the plastering and it will be a while before we need the paint as there is a lot of preparation to do to the woodwork which had layer upon layer of paint on it.

Today's list is:

Spend no money - FAIL!!
    Submit meter readings DONE
    Sort out, iron and put away clean laundry
    Get up to date with washing (only a couple of loads) - more than I thought!
    Check what fresh stuff is left in fridge and use it up -
    Make sugar free treats DONE, made lemon and cranberry biscuits
    Grain free day DONE
    Sugar free day FAIL (salad cream, almond magnum, sweetened coconut)
    Long dog walk - too hot for my old boy
    Clean kitchen and conservatory - kitchen done
    Hoover our bedroom
    Change bedding on all beds
    Plant the hostas we bought last week DONE
    Last edited by XSpender; 17-06-2017 at 9:03 PM.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 18th Jun 17, 9:04 AM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 26,673 Thanks
    XSpender
    I'm a bit tired this morning but it serves me right for staying up and watching TV. DH was out and I always end up staying up later when he is out plus I started watching Falling Skies on Netflix and 2 hours later I was still watching it!! I don't watch a lot of TV but I enjoyed this; it's a cross between walking dead (which I find too scary ) and independence day.

We did spend yesterday. £15 worth of tools and thermal stuff which fixed DHs playstation and £9.45 in lidl on carrots, a small sack of potatoes and some ice creams.

I made cranberry and lemon grain free cookies yesterday. They can be double baked into biscotti but I couldn't get the dough to hold together into a log shape so did the single bake cookie option instead which is still yummy. I also made a double batch of flaxseed rolls and froze half. The recipe should have made 12 but I made them a bit bigger and got 9 out of it.

DS has written DH card and made an envelope for the card he made at school. We haven't done mothers day/fathers day presents this year but DS has made DH a model (I'm not quite sure of what ) as a present.

Our friends want us to join them in a celebration meal next week. This will cost approximately £50. There is £20 still in the family fun budget and a little unallocated money still to budget which should cover this. I am also going to add another £20 to the EF.

I am planning to finish yesterday's list and a few extras today:

Sort out, iron and put away clean laundry (or as much as I can cope with as there is a lot!)
    Get up to date with washing - 2 small loads to do
    Check what fresh stuff is left in fridge and use it up
    Grain free day
    Sugar free day
    Long dog walk when it has cooled down a bit
    Clean kitchen floor
    Clean Conservatory
    Clear and clean breakfast room dresser
    Hoover our bedroom
    Change bedding on all beds
    Wash our duvet (conveniently splits into 2 which just fit in washer)
    Finish mowing all the lawns
    Trim the 2 hedges at the front
    Fill green bin with garden waste
    Finish stripping wallpaper from stairs and landing
    If stripping finished contact plasterer and arrange quote
    Submit receipts to S&S -first time ever!
    Cook the chicken (goes OOD today and was planning a roast but maybe too hot)
    DS homework
    Last edited by XSpender; 18-06-2017 at 9:06 AM.
    • jelly head
    • By jelly head 18th Jun 17, 10:51 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    jelly head
    Hello XSpender, just thought I would pop in and say that I currently have a debt total close to yourself and you are giving me inspiration to get my down and cleared as soon as possible. The problem I have is that I expect it all cleared straight away and unfortunately that wont be the case for a few years yet (not got a debt free date yet)
    I will be making a diary on here soon so please keep a look out for it and give me some tips on the way.
    Keep up the good work
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 18th Jun 17, 10:07 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 26,673 Thanks
    XSpender
    Hello XSpender, just thought I would pop in and say that I currently have a debt total close to yourself and you are giving me inspiration to get my down and cleared as soon as possible. The problem I have is that I expect it all cleared straight away and unfortunately that wont be the case for a few years yet (not got a debt free date yet)
    I will be making a diary on here soon so please keep a look out for it and give me some tips on the way.
    Keep up the good work
    Originally posted by jelly head
    Hi jelly head

I understand where you are coming from with wanting the debt paid off quicker, I paid an extra £200 this month and it hasn't made much difference at all to the big picture but every little bit gets us closer to being debt free.

I will keep a look out for your diary.

Impromptu Barbie at friends for a couple of hours this afternoon put a dent in our time in the garden but was lovely and the jobs will get done later.

To Do List Update

Sort out, iron and put away clean laundry (or as much as I can cope with as there is a lot!)DMIL has offered to help with this
    Get up to date with washing - 2 half loads left
    Check what fresh stuff is left in fridge and use it up DONE
    Grain free day DONE
    Sugar free day - Really struggling with this
    Long dog walk when it has cooled down a bitDONE at 7pm
    Clean kitchen floor - Swept but not mopped
    Clean Conservatory DONE except steam mop floor
    Clear and clean breakfast room dresser DONE
    Hoover our bedroom NOT DONE
    Change bedding on all beds NOT DONE
    Wash our duvet (conveniently splits into 2 which just fit in washer)DONE
    Finish mowing all the lawns Front done, half of back
    Trim the 2 hedges at the frontDONE
    Fill green bin with garden wasteDONE
    Finish stripping wallpaper from stairs and landingNOT DONE
    If stripping finished contact plasterer and arrange quote NOT DONE
    Submit receipts to S&S -first time ever! NOT DONE
    Cook the chicken (goes OOD today and was planning a roast but maybe too hot) NOT DONE
    DS homework NOT DONE but not due til Friday

We have been to Aldee today and bought the camping equipment we needed and have bought a sander for the miles of woodwork in this house. I tried sanding the top of the porch today with sandpaper and it just didn't cut it. Too many layers of old flaky paint and too many years of neglect by the previous owners.

We also spent on a small contribution to our friends BBQ.

DH and I have been considering getting a cleaner again for a few weeks now. I know I will get some flack for this but I feel it is important to balance quality time with my family against the cost. I have reduced our outgoings by about £700 since April with cutting back on overspending and by reducing/cancelling our bills. The cleaner will be about £100 a month.

I am fed up of trying to balance the hours I work, frequent nights away or very long travelling days with work with trying to do all the work in the house. DH works long hours too. I spend my weekends trying to catch up with chores and don't fell like I spend enough time with DS at the weekend. DH often works 6 days a week so the day off he does have at a weekend he wants to spend as a family or potter in the again.

We have a lot of cosmetic work/maintenance that needs doing in the house which is taking longer than it should because if I have a couple of hours I try and do housework first.

If it means my DFD slips back a few months I can live with it if it means I can stop stressing about trying to be superwoman and do everything.
    Last edited by XSpender; 18-06-2017 at 10:11 PM.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 26th Jun 17, 3:30 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 26,673 Thanks
    XSpender
    Life has got in the way this week. Lots on with work. Had good news that DB has not got the big C but found out today that BF has. She is OK if a bit numb, the prognosis is good with what we know so far. Also found out today that a colleague has been diagnosed with a serious illness and is a young mum with 2 pre-schoolers. I am feeling upset and am pleased I am working from home today as have been a bit teary.

Not much money news. There is not much in the bank account but all bills are paid and we have food in the house. I cant see us needing to spend much between now and pay day on the 30th so I will probably split what is left between savings and debt to end up on £2000 paid off since 4th May and £350 in the EF.

I am hoping for another £1000 cleared in July as I have signed up for Frugalwoods Uber Frugal challenge. I am not expecting any big expenses in July. It is my birthday and I don't really need anything except a pair of jeans and I am not buying any until I shift at least half a stone. I am saving up for a winter coat so will put any birthday money towards this.

I went for a run yesterday, the first time in weeks and decided that if I want to exercise during the week I am going to have to go before DH leaves for work at 6.30am. This morning I was up at 5.40am and out the door in ten minutes for a half hour run

My plan is to be up at 5.30am and exercise every morning when I can and to exercise every day.

DH and I also start our 8 week sugar free journey today. I bought the books 2nd hand and can't wait to try some of the delicious recipes. I have been grain free apart from 3 meals over the last 3 weeks and haven't missed it at all. DH is thinking about going gluten free as well but I will need to take into account his nut allergy as many of the sugar and grain free recipes I have tried recently have been made with ground almonds.

I got on the scales this morning and have put on another pound Another 4 pound and I will be in the overweight section on a weight chart. The last time I weighed this much was when I went back to work after mat leave! Something needs to change, and it needs to be me!

We picked up our refurbished bench on Saturday and I am over the moon with it. He has done an amazing job, it looks better than I expected. He had it sat outside his workshop on Saturday and he said 14! people enquired about it and that he would have no problem selling it for over £700!!! Not bad for something shoved behind the shed and left by the previous owners who couldn't be bothered to get rid of it.

DS has been doing well at school and got an award on Friday. We have completed the form to move him to a more local school but it is unlikely we will get a place (all outstanding, all over subscribed).

We washed the bedroom curtains the previous owners left us. They were very dusty and not to our taste so we thought if we ruin them we will go and sleep in the other room that has clean curtains We have washed them and they have come up great but only one is up so I must hang the other one tonight

We are still working on the prep ready to decorate our hall, landing and stairs. This is likely to take weeks due to the amount of woodwork with 80 years worth of paint and varnish on it. We have the tools so it is cheap if time consuming

DH is away for 2 nights on a course this week and I have a busy week with work so my to do list is short and sweet this week:

1) Strip wallpaper off the landing (where I can reach with the step ladder)
    2) Strip paint off more of the banister (attempt to do up to the first return)
    3) Grain free every day 1/7
    4) Complete week 1 of the no sugar plan 1/7
    5) Batch cook 2 meals and snacks to keep us on track this week and prep for next week
    6) Run everyday 1/7
    7) Do some ironing
    8) Spray our bedroom with the dust mite spray
    9) Hang other curtain in our room
    10) Change sheets in 2 rooms - 1 done
    11) Nag DH until he gets the number of next doors cleaner and contacts her about cleaning for us
    Last edited by XSpender; 27-06-2017 at 9:52 PM.
    • glass_half_full
    • By glass_half_full 26th Jun 17, 6:32 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    glass_half_full
    Hi XSpender,

I too am following Frugalwoods in July - she is hardcore though. I last followed it in January, but there are a few areas where I can't quite agree with her. Good luck with the 5.30 starts - respect!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 27th Jun 17, 12:57 PM
    • 583 Posts
    • 1,766 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    You have so much on your plate! (Figuratively, not literally. Literally I expect you have a little less on your plate).

Good news re DB and DS . I'm sorry to hear about the people who aren't so well, though. What a strain for both them and you. Here's hoping for good news for both of them in the future.

Well done on the running! I can't manage a run every day (only started in March) but it's done me tons of good. I discovered my resting heart rate has dropped from the upper 60s to the upper 50s, and weight has been slowly going too (helped by calorie counting - though weight loss was slow to start, possibly due to improved muscles). I really take my hat off to anyone who gets up early to do something that matters to them.

I was amused about your curtains. How nice they came up great, but in a way it would have been nice if they had shredded in the wash! So either you have a freeby pair of good but unloved curtains or you 3bay them and put the money towards what you really want.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 27th Jun 17, 2:33 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 26,673 Thanks
    XSpender
    glass_half_full - I wouldn't want to live like frugalwoods out in the sticks and never buying a thing but I am hoping some focus will help me achieve my £1000 debt pay off goal this month. I like her approach, Mr Money Moustache can be a bit OTT for me (I do like to wash everyday ) and in your face.

Cherryfudge - I have good intentions with the running this week but it is torrential rain here today and I am up to my neck in work deadlines (I've sneaked on here while I am eating my lunch. I don't know why I am sneaking I am working from home so no one to tell on me but the dog!) so it may be a dog walk later rather than a run

The curtains are sun bleached so no good to anyone else so I am stuck with them.

I am feeling a bit more upbeat after having a good chat to my BF yesterday and her news sinking in a bit.

I was worn out last night and with DH away I ended up having an early night and a lie in until 7am this morning. Helped by having DS in my bed last night

Stuck to the sugar free plan yesterday (I am allowed a little sugar in fruit and I had a small bit of 85% chocolate) and it's going OK today. I have made some cheese and bacon potato skins from one of the IQS books and they are delicious. Tonight I will finish the broccoli soup I made on Sunday with some flaxseed bread rolls (I need to make these tonight) and yogurt, apple and low sugar granola to finish. I burnt the batch of granola I made on Sunday so will attempt another small batch tonight.

I have 2 long travelling days Wednesday and Thursday so need to be prepared with lots of snacks packed to avoid temptation. I have made a half batch of crust less quiche Lorraine so far and will pack a salad to go with these. I have some potato skins left too. Tonight I will make some cheese crackers and a low sugar cookie recipe. I will eat my fruit in a smoothie in the morning but will take some extra veggie sticks, cheese and nuts for the long drive home and lots of water.

I have sent £25 over to the EF to round it up to £350 an have joined a £1000 EF challenge on the DF challenge board.

I'm hanging on to the last bit in our account to make a last payment to the debt on the 29th.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 27th Jun 17, 9:55 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 26,673 Thanks
    XSpender
    I didn't run today but managed to get drenched taking the dog out.

Quick update on the week's to do list while I am dying my hair......

1) Strip wallpaper off the landing (where I can reach with the step ladder)
    2) Strip paint off more of the banister (attempt to do up to the first return)
    3) Grain free every day 2/7
    4) Complete week 1 of the no sugar plan 2/7
    5) Batch cook 2 meals and snacks to keep us on track this week and prep for next week - potato skins, egg muffins, cheese biscuits
    6) Run everyday 1/7
    7) Do some ironing
    8) Spray our bedroom with the dust mite spray
    9) Hang other curtain in our room - done
    11) Nag DH until he gets the number of next doors cleaner and contacts her about cleaning for us
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 2nd Jul 17, 9:30 AM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 26,673 Thanks
    XSpender
    Crazy few days at work involving almost 24 hours of driving over 3 days and lots of deadlines looming. I have to leave for a 2 day work event at 2pm which ruins my Sunday and gets us all down in the dumps

1) Strip wallpaper off the landing (where I can reach with the step ladder) - DONE
    2) Strip paint off more of the banister (attempt to do up to the first return) - DONE but not as much as planned
    3) Grain free every day 6/7
    4) Complete week 1 of the no sugar plan 6/7
    5) Batch cook 2 meals and snacks to keep us on track this week and prep for next week - potato skins, egg muffins, cheese biscuits - DONE but ran out towards end of week
    6) Run everyday 1/7
    7) Do some ironing
    8) Spray our bedroom with the dust mite spray - I made the bed with clean sheets so will do when remake it
    9) Hang other curtain in our room - done

Not got far with the list but Wednesday to Friday were overtaken by work.

Sugar free is going well and I have lost 3 lbs without trying I only ate grain (pizza base and popcorn) and sugar (1 of DS's chewy sweets and 'sweet' popcorn) last night. I haven't found either too difficult. I am going to do another reduced sugar week before I go cold turkey as per the plan. DH has found that cutting out sugar this week has helped his eczema and is keen to continue.

DS has been selected to attend an activity day with 3 other kids from his class this week with school. We are super proud of him.

The budget this month is tighter than a tight thing. We have had to invest £48 in a heat gun to remove the paint from the woodwork as the acid stuff we bought from a recommendation is useless (and we've used it all). We borrowed a heat gun of DFIL but it conked out yesterday.

DH has said he will remove the last bits of wallpaper that I can't reach while I am away and remove more paint. We have had a quote from a plasterer friend to skim all the walls and cover the aertex ceilings and it is a very good price so we need to find the money for that this month.

DH ripped all the carpet up from the hall and stairs and discovered 1930s lino and a boarded up mat well which we plan to restore and have tiled. Luckily DH BF is a tiler so can help us source and lay the right tiles.

Plans for today:

1) Pack for trip
    2) Find something smart casual to wear for an outdoor evening event and an indoor evening event (2 separate nights) from my limited wardrobe
    3) Long walk with the dog
    4) Vaccum our room and living room
    5)Clean kitchen and mop floor
    6) Food shop
    7) Prep some grain and sugar free food for tonight and make some flax seed rolls for freezer
    8) Pack DS bag as staying at DMIL/DFIL for a couple of nights
    9) 2 loads of washing (already have 2 done to go on line)
    10) Fill up car

All this by 2pm and I am still in my jarmas!
    Last edited by XSpender; 02-07-2017 at 9:35 AM.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 2nd Jul 17, 10:57 AM
    • 6,158 Posts
    • 44,822 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Life seems to be zooming along rather fast for you at the mo. But you seem to be coping with it extremely well. I'm very impressed with the number of sugar-free and grain-free days you have managed. Go you!
    NST SS #10; NSD 6; Ex 6; craft 150; remove 510
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £2239/£4050; 2
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,831 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 9th Jul 17, 8:39 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 26,673 Thanks
    XSpender
    Crazy week at work last week and have hopefully caught up with my sleep. I didn't get up until 9am today which is unheard of for me I haven't achieved a single grain or sugar free day this last week either.

DS has had a good end of year report and done well in his SATs. There are no places available at the schools we were wanting to transfer him to which is what we expected. I was having a wobble about moving him, I felt quite sad that he wouldn't be going there any more. I am going to see if I can get him involved in some activities so that he can widen his circle of friends, as we don't live in the immediate area around his school he never sees or plays with his classmates out of school. I have asked him if he would like to join cubs and he said he would like to give it a go. His rugby will start again in September too.

We are hoping to hear some good news about DH work situation in the next few weeks. If it comes off it will greatly improve our financial situation but I am not getting my hopes up as we have been here before.

Work in the hall, landing and staircase is on-going. We have had a weekend off from it this weekend and have sorted the garage out, moved a piece of furniture out of the living room and been on a lovely, if strenuous, bike ride. I have the scrapes, bruises and nettle stings to prove it

Our spending has been pretty restrained so far this month, although we have spent a bit more on food than I would have liked (story of my life ). We know this month is going to be tight and are being careful.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 9th Jul 17, 9:36 PM
    • 6,158 Posts
    • 44,822 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Your bike ride sounds like you were tagging along on the Tour!
    017 sell 110

Mortgage £24,831 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 10th Jul 17, 7:42 AM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 26,673 Thanks
    XSpender
    Your bike ride sounds like you were tagging along on the Tour!
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    The closest I get to the tour is when it goes through my Dad's village on Tuesday

2 very busy days working from home to start this week, then 2 away and Friday back at home. One of my days away includes lunch at an award winning pub. Not good for my waistline.

This week I need to finalise DS childcare for the holidays and book our camping and leg0land trip for when we are off in August. We have decided to only do 1 day in leg0land to keep costs down. The 2 nights in the hotel will be covered with 'free nights' I have accumulated through nights away with work.

This week's to do list:

1) Book accommodation for leg0land
    2) Book tickets for leg0land
    3) Decide where we are going camping in August
    4) Book camp site for August
    5) Contact local scout group (on line contact form wouldn't work last night, may have to email) so DS can go in September
    6) Book DS into sports camp for 2 days, first week of summer break
    7) Put away all clean laundry that does not need ironing
    8) Deep clean bedroom, apply mite spray, change sheets
    9) Buy birthday gift and deliver to friend's daughter as they will be away for her birthday
    10) Do some surveys
    11) Meal plan, check in budget via my supermarket
    12) Make grain free bread and sugar free treats
    Last edited by XSpender; 10-07-2017 at 9:45 PM.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 10th Jul 17, 9:49 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 26,673 Thanks
    XSpender
    This week's to do list:

1) Book accommodation for leg0lanDDONE AND SAVED £272
    2) Book tickets for leg0land DONE AND SAVED£117
    3) Decide where we are going camping in August
    4) Book camp site for August
    5) Contact local scout group (on line contact form wouldn't work last night, may have to email) so DS can go in September
    9) Buy birthday gift and deliver to friend's daughter as they will be away for her birthday
    10) Do some surveys

Quick update
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 11th Jul 17, 7:36 AM
    • 6,158 Posts
    • 44,822 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Phenomenal savings! Well done.
    017 sell 110

• XSpender
    • By XSpender 11th Jul 17, 8:53 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 26,673 Thanks
    XSpender
    No progress on to do list today but have had a good day at work and achieved lots with an old roll of lining paper and a pad of post-its. Don't ask!

Some small spends by DH today on 2 prescriptions for him, some bread rolls, baked beans on offer and a can of energy drink. He is much better than me in the shop and (apart from the drink) bought only what we agreed we needed.

All ironing done for tomorrow and DS party clothes sorted out for his end of year disco. He will be at DPIL for 2 nights while I'm away. Must remember to pack my cossie in case I get chance for a swim.

Arranged to see my BF on Friday following her cancer op. last week. Will need to think of a nice treat to take her.

I have been jiggling the pots around and have chopped a bit off the food budget (only £10) and the booze budget to cover most of the cost of the land of lego and need another £35 or so. We also have the deposit for camping to pay for too, about £50.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 11th Jul 17, 10:31 PM
    • 2,584 Posts
    • 26,673 Thanks
    XSpender
    DH has been playing on the PS4 so I have managed a couple of tasks after all:

This week's to do list:

1) Book accommodation for leg0land DONE AND SAVED £272
    2) Book tickets for leg0land DONE AND SAVED£117
    3) Decide where we are going camping in AugustSCOTLAND
    4) Book camp site for August DONE
    5) Contact local scout group (on line contact form wouldn't work last night, may have to email) so DS can go in September EMAILED
    10) Do some surveys
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

849Posts Today

7,110Users online

Martin's Twitter