Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 4th May 17, 11:12 AM
    • 2,703Posts
    • 27,933Thanks
    XSpender
    Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt
    • 4th May 17, 11:12 AM
    Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt 4th May 17 at 11:12 AM
    How do I start what feels like yet another diary?

After being on the MFW board I have come back to the DFW board to shift the debt we have run up in the last 12 months.

A quick back story….DH and I are classic impulsive over spenders who went pop back in late 2008 and managed to climb out of the pit of debt we were in by me losing my job and a big redundancy pay out in early 2010. We avoided debt until 12 months ago when we found our dream house about 4 months before we had planned to start looking which we could afford but were short on the deposit. If we had only ended up borrowing the bit we needed to top up the deposit we would be have been debt free by now.

We have run up debt on buying the house, having some work done in the house and some furniture and soft furnishings and impulsive spending on holidays, meals out and the odd high ticket item. We thought we were past making these kinds of stupid decisions and are both worried and angry with ourselves at the level of debt we are in once again.

The one thing we are agreed on is that we will live on fresh air to keep this house and we need to sort our finances out to give us the security that this could never happen. One day I will get to be a MFW again!

To make matters worse 6 months after we moved DH has had some issues at work and has taken a job (same company) at a different location which has resulted in a reduction in the bonus he is paid monthly effectively reducing his monthly take home pay and his travel costs have gone up significantly. It hasn’t done much to reduce his stress levels either!

Worrying about money and our financial security has started to get to me and I don’t want to feel like that again, I thought I had left that behind in 2010. It makes me worry about losing my job and I then start to doubt my ability to do my job. I also worry it will impact on our ability to re-mortgage at a good rate in 12 months’ time.

I manage the finances but DH has (finally) got on board and has been writing his own plan about how we can stop spending and stop buying so we can owe nowt. Our good friends are also pulling in the purse strings as they have a family holiday to pay for so we have agreed to entertain each other at home rather than go out for meals with the kids which we did at least twice a month.

Current Debts

Bank of Mum and Dad - £4336.66 (17 payments left)
    Bank Loan - £12,114.51 (49 payments left)
    Bank CC - £9019.51 (1% payment to come off for May) – all at 0%
    DH CC - £5500 approx. – all at 0% until August
    My CC – £5782.31 – mostly 0% but some spending at standard rate
    BNPL – £400 – due 21st December 2017
    Owed to DS – £1296.79 – 0%
    Balance of trip to New York - £1098 due October 2017

TOTAL £39,547.78

Our plan is to drastically cut our spending and cancel the trip to New York for a start. There is not much we can do about our bills until June/July when they will all be up for renewal and I will hit the comparison sites. It is our spending on food and booze and stuff that needs to be reigned in hence the title of this diary.

If we can stop adding to the debt by paying the minimum payments each month as well as clearing the BNPL we will knock £6000 off the balance by the end of this year. My goal is to be under £30,000 owed by the end of the year and then have cleared all CCs by June 2018 which is a massive challenge. We both get performance related bonuses, DH quarterly and me twice a year but none of these are guaranteed.

Wish us luck and control over our spending urges.
    EF £1000 - £0
Page 3
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 16th May 17, 9:40 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 27,933 Thanks
    XSpender
    Oooo you can't beat a freshly made egg sandwich.

I am going to make up DH's sarnies for next week at the weekend and freeze them. Apart from saving time this will stop DH snacking on the ham and there been none left for sarnies later in the week
    EF £1000 - £0
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 16th May 17, 10:10 PM
    • 6,630 Posts
    • 48,641 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Let's hope that he remembers to take them with him...

Mum used to freeze our sandwiches for lunch, and I can safely say that flapjack freezes well too!
    NST DDD#1; NSD 4/15; Ex 2/12; craft 11/30 (267); remove /31 (601)
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3708/£4050; 2
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • hex2
    • By hex2 17th May 17, 7:13 PM
    • 4,681 Posts
    • 79,674 Thanks
    hex2
    I've not frozen sandwiches (as nobody here eats them) but in general cheese works better if it is grated rather than sliced before you freeze it. Stops people munching if you buy a big block, grate it all at once and then freeze it. I bash the bag on the freezer and take out however much I need.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
    • Tahlullah
    • By Tahlullah 17th May 17, 7:21 PM
    • 797 Posts
    • 4,689 Thanks
    Tahlullah
    Won't the bread go soggy as it defrosts?
    Striving to be mortgage free.
    2018 MFW £135
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 17th May 17, 9:43 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 27,933 Thanks
    XSpender
    I used to grate the block of cheese when I bought it hex2 but have got out of the habit. I will see if I can locate the grater part of my mini food processor and do this tomorrow. DH is terrible for snapping a chunk off the block for a bedtime snack!

Spent £4.50 on some beers for DH and £16.50 on school photos of DS. I have a wonderful picture of DS that was taken at nursery by a professional when he was 4. 3 years of school photos and not one of them has been any good he always looks uncomfortable and nervous and he is normally a happy and confident boy. In this years he looks spaced out

£33.46 on it's way from TCB today to cover the overspend on the house maintenance/doing-it-up pot.

I do love YNAB Before YNAB I would look at the bank account and see how little was in it and panic with 2 weeks to go before pay day. I would start using a CC or transfer money from savings thinking I was going to run out of money. There is not much in our current account at all today but looking at YNAB I know I have enough money to cover the last couple of DDs and enough in the food budget to keep us fed and watered. I'm still skint but not worried sick and skint.

I do need to buy a birthday card for my dad and some stamps tomorrow, one to post the card to Europe. I have got DH to sign a piece of paper so that I can send a letter to the PPI company if needed once I have called them to advise we want to cancel the policy. This months payment isn't due yet, it would be too much to hope I would not have to pay May's payment either I could pay it straight off the Arg0s BNPL!
    EF £1000 - £0
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 17th May 17, 11:33 PM
    • 10,454 Posts
    • 69,680 Thanks
    Bobarella
    I find the school photos are poor too. I usually buy the class one rather than the individual ones. My husband is such a good photographer it would be nuts to pay for ones we don't even like.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 18th May 17, 1:18 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 27,933 Thanks
    XSpender
    Mortgage cover will be cancelled today when DH rings them as joint policy holder. I do not need to pay this months payment so have cancelled the DD and saved £71.54. The payment was due to go up from June so £73.15 saved from next month

Green Thumb are due next week for the quarterly grass treatment which is £24 not budgeted for so I am pleased I have the PPI premium to cover it. We have a lot of grass and it was a mess when we moved in and is now much healthier.

I managed to find a card in the house to send my Dad for his birthday but the stamp and a 1st class stamp to send a card to my DSIL cost £2.22! If I had been a bit more organised on Sunday I could have sent the card with my sister who is visiting my Dad this week.

I avoided buying a pack of my favourite crisps at the PO, good for my purse and my waistline.

Stuff I need to do today:

1) Complete all 3 parts of a report for work
    2) Start transfer of energy supplier
    3) Make a double batch of veggie chilli, some for tonight and rest for freezer
    4) Eat what's left of last night's leftover for lunch (DH pinched some last night)
    5) Run/walk for 20 minutes or I will have spent 2 days dressed in running gear and not done any! I haven't run for a few months and feeling nervous as no flat bits where I live. Will take the dog in case I have to walk

Right, I am off for a run before it starts raining!
    EF £1000 - £0
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 18th May 17, 10:06 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 27,933 Thanks
    XSpender

Stuff I need to do today:

1) Complete all 3 parts of a report for work - about half way there
    2) Start transfer of energy supplier Nope
    3) Make a double batch of veggie chilli, some for tonight and rest for freezer Done
    4) Eat what's left of last night's leftover for lunch (DH pinched some last night) Done
    5) Run/walk for 20 minutes Done and was much easier than I thought
    Originally posted by XSpender
    I have rung V1rg1n tonight and got an accurate balance on DH card. Only £6 below what was on YNAB but nearly £100 lower than my estimate at the beginning of this diary. I had paid most of the monthly payments for May when I started this diary so have totted up what has come off since, the adjustment to DH card and the cancellation of NY and we are now on:

£38,210.10/£39,547.48
    EF £1000 - £0
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 18th May 17, 10:59 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,459 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Brilliant progress
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 19th May 17, 3:45 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 27,933 Thanks
    XSpender
    I am stiff as a post after my run yesterday but slept like a log last night.

Mr T has been delivered but rubbish cheese substitution was sent back and will have to go to Mr S for this plus value sarnie bags I couldn't find on line and a meat pie I forgot to press the add button on when doing the order so it didn't arrive and it has been requested by DH for Sunday. I need fly spray as I have a pesky fly that has outstayed it's welcome and is still in the house from the weekend.

I have meal planned until the end of the month so should only need milk, possibly a GF loaf and fruit between now and the end of the month. Well, there will no doubt be a few snacks and some beers for DH bought as well.

I have a deposit to pay on a girls Christmas night out today (£10) and as we are planning a day out at a NT site on Sunday (we are members so free) for a good walk, a picnic and a go on the adventure playground for DS I have budgeted for an ice cream each and probably a plant for DH.

The work DH has done in he garden over the last few weeks has given us an extra 20' x 10' that needs filling!

DH is having a rare day off tomorrow and the weather forecast is poor so will do housework and ironing and play some games with DS and let DH relax. I also want to do some cooking and baking and plan to make lasagne, Italian casserole, spicy pork mince, Twink's chocolate hob nobs, a loaf cake (either ginger or chocolate or possibly lemon drizzle which is DH favourite and I have a lemon to use up), cheese scone bread and crust less Quiche Lorraine. The meat dishes are for the freezer and will keep DH fed when I am away in June and the rest is for the picnic and lunches.

DH has put DS name on the waiting list for a local school. The schools in the small town where we live are all outstanding (except the one nearest to our house) and DH is determined that DS goes to school where he will grow up. There are another 3 he will put his name on the list for. He currently goes to school about a 15 minute drive from home and it is a good school but it might as well be an hour away as he doesn't mix with any of the kids after school as he doesn't live close by.
    EF £1000 - £0
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 19th May 17, 9:39 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 27,933 Thanks
    XSpender
    Getting ahead of myself....
    June is going to be a costly month for us with some extra payments to make so I have totted them up below so I can prepare for them and cross them off when I have found the money to cover them. My salary will be a little bit lower than average as they will deduct a higher than average personal mileage bill for our recent holiday which was about 1000 miles more than I normally do. I have based DH income on what he got this month.

We need to find money for:

Dentist for me and DS £20.60
    Spending money for Spain £150
    Funds to fully fund mini EF £84.52
    Annual home insurance £200
    New energy company DD £145
    2 pairs of school shorts for DS £16.
    Dominoes Pizza to celebrate 1 year in this house £30
    Repayment to Argoose BNPL £50

Total - £696.12 If it's green I can cover it from salaries, everything else I need to find the money for. I still have 2 phones and a sewing machine to sell!

I had saved up the £150 for Spain from my personal spends over the last few months but had to put it back in the joint account as we were skint.

The new energy company take a payment in advance so I will have to pay them £145 and the old lot £203 I am £85 behind with the old company and will have this month's £169 and next month's £203 to cover that and this months usage where we haven't used the TD for 3 weeks and have cut down on using the heating. I am hoping for a refund of something!

If I can buy DS shorts this weekend I can get 20% at M&S. DMIL already bought him 2 pairs so he only needs another 2 pack. He is only just 7 and in an 8-9!

We never eat D0min0es pizza but we promised DS one the first night in this house which we had and we have been here a year next month and DH wants to do it again to celebrate.

We promised DS a trip to LEGOLAND instead of a party and I have had an email to say the Sun is offering 2 free tickets if you collect 10 tokens from their paper. I can get the other day's ticket half price and can cover the hotel stay with points I have accumulate from staying away with work. Will have a look at the sun site and see what the terms and conditions are i.e. you can only go in term time during the week in winter
    EF £1000 - £0
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 21st May 17, 5:49 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 27,933 Thanks
    XSpender
    I hope everyone has had a good weekend.

We have had a good weekend; DH has had a rare weekend off, we have visited our favourite NT place and managed to avoid any rain showers.

The have been a couple of down points as some close neighbours have done something which has caused some issues in our garden. I wont say more than that but it is costing us £300 to return it to what it was. Oh and about 2 years in time

I tried to sell my 2 I-phones yesterday but have been told both are faulty and I wont be getting the £80 I was expecting I will have to go and pick the one I left to be checked up at some point. I could have really done with that money

DH has had a few small spends on himself this weekend and we have bought 2 more plants than budgeted for.

I resisted buying 2 beautiful dresses yesterday but I don't go out enough to wear them especially when they were £350 for the 2

Positives this Week

I have actioned the energy transfer so DD will be £143 from June
    House Insurance renewal quote requested approx. £187
    Have re-used bread bags for sandwich bags
    I have recorded every penny we have spent
    DH and I have both been accepted for 0% zero free CCs to clear almost all our balances which go interest bearing this summer
    Used 2 birthday cards and a note card I already had in
    Baked 2 quiches and a batch of cookies from what we had in and batch cooked chilli
    I haven't used the TD for 3 weeks which has saved us about £10
    I have used the crusts of the loaf to make sandwiches (embarrassingly these used to go in the bin) and DH hasn't complained
    I have meal planned until the end of the month and shopped accordingly
    Got given an electric heater for use in the conservatory (no radiator)
    Avoided purchasing 2 dresses and new conservatory furniture (no wonder I keep out of the shops to avoid temptation!)
    EF £1000 - £0
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 21st May 17, 6:31 PM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,459 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    I love all the smiles that's a whole lot of good points!
    • Bobarella
    • By Bobarella 21st May 17, 8:12 PM
    • 10,454 Posts
    • 69,680 Thanks
    Bobarella
    The whole crust thing is a funny one. I always see these as just bread but loads of people didn't want a crust when I had the cafe, and also in my opinion more odd, didn't like the first slice of cake in a loaf cake either! It's cake! It has to start somewhere.
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe"

Debt neutral 27/03/17 from £40k in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 21st May 17, 8:48 PM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 27,933 Thanks
    XSpender
    I love all the smiles that's a whole lot of good points!
    Originally posted by Hiddenidenity
    Hi HI! It keeps me focussed when I haven't got any more money this month to pay off the debt. I forgot to add one for when I reused a teabag this morning

The whole crust thing is a funny one. I always see these as just bread but loads of people didn't want a crust when I had the cafe, and also in my opinion more odd, didn't like the first slice of cake in a loaf cake either! It's cake! It has to start somewhere.
    Originally posted by Bobarella
    I never used to eat crusts but now I have to buy GF bread I refuse to waste any. I agree with you about cake though, it's cake!

Operation Frozen Sandwiches has begun. I have made DH corned beef and mustard for tomorrow and put them in the fridge and another 2 days worth with some corned beef and some ham and froze them. I will probably defrost them the night before as at the minute he has to eat them when he can as he is so short staffed and if they are still a bit frozen he won't get any lunch.
    EF £1000 - £0
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 23rd May 17, 9:25 AM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 27,933 Thanks
    XSpender
    Woke up to the terrible news from Manchester this morning. I feel upset but also very angry that women and children were targeted. My thoughts are with those people who have lost loved ones and whose loved ones have been hurt or are still missing.
    EF £1000 - £0
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 23rd May 17, 9:37 AM
    • 4,230 Posts
    • 26,459 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Got to admit I don't like crusts I feed them to the kids as toast though

Town incident is just heartbreaking, total shock and sadness at this world and whats happening
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 23rd May 17, 10:13 AM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 27,933 Thanks
    XSpender
    DH has taken the defrosted sandwiches to work today, will see if he mentions anything about them later.

I somehow managed to gluten myself on Sunday so was not too well yesterday and still have an upset stomach today. I can only put it down to a packet of crisps I ate which were ‘produced in a factory that handles gluten’. I should be more careful.

I feel a bit flat after the progress I have made earlier this month probably because the impact of the savings won’t be felt until July in real terms as I have the home insurance premium to pay and a double energy company payment to cover in June for the old and new companies. This is because the new company takes the DD in advance. At least it’s not long to wait until payday when the monthly payments will start to go out again.

I paid the window cleaner £10 yesterday and my friend £10 for a deposit for a doo at Christmas. Today I am hoping for a NSD.

We have had to use the £91.31 of savings I had put aside for Christmas (and added to the EF figure) to top the account up and £290 has gone on the CC to purchase items to resolve the issue caused by our neighbours. We are in one of very few pockets of land not part of the conservation area that just about encompasses our entire town so we cannot do anything about it and we and our other neighbours are still smarting from the way in which the other neighbours have gone about it.

I am pleased with the progress on reducing our food spends this month so far. Since February we have been averaging £154/week on food and booze and this month we are averaging £114 with only a top up needed to take us through to the end of the month. This includes a 3-course meal for 7 and a party tea for DS. The booze part of this is too much and I need to speak to DH about him drinking less. It’s not good for him, his waistline or our budget. Some of the spend is on a bottle of nice gin and some is booze for me but the majority of it is for DH who uses a few cans as stress relief.

I have been thinking about ways to earn a few extra pounds as we don’t have much to sell as our debt is more from buying the house, work carried out or items needed for the house and 2 holidays. We both work long hours, DH 6 days a week and 12 hour days currently, and I am often away with work so a 2nd job isn’t feasible.

I have £40 of vouchers in my shop n scan rewards, just from the scanning side. If I start to send the receipts off as well I will be able to double that by the end of the year, just in time for Christmas. Now I have a scanning app on my phone it will be easy to do and only take a few minutes once a week.

I am also going to start doing some surveys as I spend ages on the laptop anyway I might as well earn something from it too. Any recommendations for who to sign up with?

I have a few small items to sell but will be amazed if this raises £80.

I do have a diamond and white gold necklace from a prestigious jewellery brand that I never wear. I am contemplating selling it as the chain is a little short and I am not keen on where it sits on my neck and I always worry I will lose it if I wear it out. The only issue is it was my wedding present from DH and we wouldn’t get anywhere the £1500 it cost. I still have all the original papers and box.
    EF £1000 - £0
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 23rd May 17, 3:33 PM
    • 4,732 Posts
    • 35,083 Thanks
    joedenise
    I do Populus Surveys which pay quite well. I regularly get surveys for £1; £2 or £3 at a time. Biggest problem I've found is that quite often you'll spend 5 minutes or so doing some questions and then get thrown out as "they have enough of your demographic for this survey!" which is quite annoying. They pay out once you reach £50 and send you a cheque but you don't get it until the end of the month in which you reach the £50 and I find I usually reach the £50 in the first couple of days of the month and have to wait most of the month before the cheque is sent out.

Have to say I've given up most of the survey sites now.

Another thing which might be worthwhile signing up for is Tesco Home Panels. Just go to their website and there is a box to click if you are interested in joining the panel. Sometimes it takes a while before you actually get anything to trial but I've found it worthwhile.

You get various things to test from soap, shampoo, toothpaste to underwear, tops, jackets. Both DH and I have had good quality jackets to test in the past and in fact we are both still using them regularly - they are padded and warm so usable most of the year apart from when the weather is very warm.

Denise
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 24th May 17, 10:36 AM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 27,933 Thanks
    XSpender
    Thanks joedenise - I will have a look at Populus. I am hoping that having moved areas last year I will qualify for more surveys and polls. I tried for years to join shop and scan and was always rejected as they had enough people but as soon as I moved here and applied I was accepted immediately. It is quite an affluent town and there mustn't be as many MSErs here as there was in my last area

We were supposed to be going to friends on Monday but DH has postponed it as it is my last weekend at home before my holiday and we have so much work to be done in the garden we cant afford to lose a day.

Green Thumb are here as we speak and I normally pay the bill immediately but it is not due until early June so will pay it when I get paid on Wednesday. I have enough in the account to cover the 2 phone bills that are due out and the free and 99p books I ordered from amazon last night for my holiday but nothing else. I may have to take out the £25 I added to the EF this month to cover a very small top up shop. The rest of the garden stuff I need to fix the problem will have to go on the card.

I have done a new SOA for the budget from July and if I can avoid adding to the debt, find an extra £85/mth and use my next 3 annual bonuses we would be debt free before DH's 50th birthday in Feb 2020. This would mean paying £1000 a month of our debt and paying my bank loan first which is the right thing to do I just hate having CC balances after promising myself we would never have them again.

The good thing about paying the loan off is that is on my internet banking as with my main bank so I can PAD often as long as it is for £1 or more.

In 19 months I will have cleared 2 loans and the BNPL, in 21 months cleared 1 card and in 33 months cleared the last 2 cards.

I then started to look at OPing the mortgage but got depressed when I worked out how old I was going to be so left it alone. Neither of us have good private pensions so it is always a toss up between OPing the mortgage and saving for retirement and it worries me if either of us was unable to work for the next 25-20 years especially as we had DS later in life. I will concentrate on the debt and cross that bridge when I come to it.
    EF £1000 - £0
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,345Posts Today

7,932Users online

Martin's Twitter