Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 4th May 17, 11:12 AM
    • 2,705Posts
    • 27,959Thanks
    XSpender
    Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt
    • 4th May 17, 11:12 AM
    Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt 4th May 17 at 11:12 AM
    How do I start what feels like yet another diary?

After being on the MFW board I have come back to the DFW board to shift the debt we have run up in the last 12 months.

A quick back story….DH and I are classic impulsive over spenders who went pop back in late 2008 and managed to climb out of the pit of debt we were in by me losing my job and a big redundancy pay out in early 2010. We avoided debt until 12 months ago when we found our dream house about 4 months before we had planned to start looking which we could afford but were short on the deposit. If we had only ended up borrowing the bit we needed to top up the deposit we would be have been debt free by now.

We have run up debt on buying the house, having some work done in the house and some furniture and soft furnishings and impulsive spending on holidays, meals out and the odd high ticket item. We thought we were past making these kinds of stupid decisions and are both worried and angry with ourselves at the level of debt we are in once again.

The one thing we are agreed on is that we will live on fresh air to keep this house and we need to sort our finances out to give us the security that this could never happen. One day I will get to be a MFW again!

To make matters worse 6 months after we moved DH has had some issues at work and has taken a job (same company) at a different location which has resulted in a reduction in the bonus he is paid monthly effectively reducing his monthly take home pay and his travel costs have gone up significantly. It hasn’t done much to reduce his stress levels either!

Worrying about money and our financial security has started to get to me and I don’t want to feel like that again, I thought I had left that behind in 2010. It makes me worry about losing my job and I then start to doubt my ability to do my job. I also worry it will impact on our ability to re-mortgage at a good rate in 12 months’ time.

I manage the finances but DH has (finally) got on board and has been writing his own plan about how we can stop spending and stop buying so we can owe nowt. Our good friends are also pulling in the purse strings as they have a family holiday to pay for so we have agreed to entertain each other at home rather than go out for meals with the kids which we did at least twice a month.

Current Debts

Bank of Mum and Dad - £4336.66 (17 payments left)
    Bank Loan - £12,114.51 (49 payments left)
    Bank CC - £9019.51 (1% payment to come off for May) – all at 0%
    DH CC - £5500 approx. – all at 0% until August
    My CC – £5782.31 – mostly 0% but some spending at standard rate
    BNPL – £400 – due 21st December 2017
    Owed to DS – £1296.79 – 0%
    Balance of trip to New York - £1098 due October 2017

TOTAL £39,547.78

Our plan is to drastically cut our spending and cancel the trip to New York for a start. There is not much we can do about our bills until June/July when they will all be up for renewal and I will hit the comparison sites. It is our spending on food and booze and stuff that needs to be reigned in hence the title of this diary.

If we can stop adding to the debt by paying the minimum payments each month as well as clearing the BNPL we will knock £6000 off the balance by the end of this year. My goal is to be under £30,000 owed by the end of the year and then have cleared all CCs by June 2018 which is a massive challenge. We both get performance related bonuses, DH quarterly and me twice a year but none of these are guaranteed.

Wish us luck and control over our spending urges.
    EF £1000 - £0
Page 15
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 28th Nov 17, 9:00 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 27,959 Thanks
    XSpender
    A new poster but I'm so excited to read you diary - I hope the extra pay and bonuses over next few days make for a busy weekend of debt busting!
    Originally posted by groovychick69
    Thanks for stopping by groovychick69.

I paid off the balance on the BNPL this morning which felt great
    EF £1000 - £0
    • groovychick69
    • By groovychick69 28th Nov 17, 9:37 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    groovychick69
    I've been paying of big chunks here and there to various cards etc. It does feel great doesnt it! When I look at how much I pay out each month I hope I feel the same amount of thrill when I see so much �� Spare cash sitting in my account once they are clear!!! Keep up the good work and please keep posting x x
    • fay66
    • By fay66 28th Nov 17, 9:40 PM
    • 667 Posts
    • 1,598 Thanks
    fay66
    whoo good times , hope mine follow this time next year
    Inland revenue £4500=
    Loan £2610
    Pay day loans - 135+600+300+300
    Credit card 1 - 5186
    CC2 -1038
    CC3 - 548 cc4 234
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 30th Nov 17, 6:34 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 27,959 Thanks
    XSpender
    I'm back after a couple of days away with work. I had a shock when I answered the phone today, looked up from the laptop and realised it was snowing! We are on top of a hill and have had a good dusting :snow_gri

It wasn't as bad as the shock I had this morning when I checked the internet banking and I hadn't been paid my bonus An oversight by the finance team and it has been paid in this afternoon. Phew!

To Do List

Clear Arg05 BNPL Done
    Balance CC and allocate to budgets
    Check budget and amount to debt when both paid (DH Tue, Me Thurs)
    Request settlement figure for parental loan to repay next week, half cash and half BT Done
    Meal plan for December (7 evening meals out/away, 1 Christmas dinner and 1 takeaway at friends on NYE I don't have to think about) Done
    Plan to get most from 2xlunch allowance and 1 dinner allowance this week (Christmas food) Quiche x 2 and Christmas cake slices bought so far
    Set December food budgetDone but it might be a tad low
    Mr T order Done
    Hoover everywhere
    Dust everywhere
    Quick once over in bathroom and clean loo
    Mop kitchen floor
    Washing and ironing
    Change bedding (weekend)
    Prep 2 walls in bedroom
    Attempt to apply fake tan None in house, will have to buy a pair of tights instead!Take bulbs back
    Buy sealed tins
    Do something nice (and free or cheap) as a family at the weekend[/QUOTE]

DS school don't provide nativity costumes like his old school so I will have to buy one! His old school provided them all. I wonder what happened to all the costumes the parents bought the year before?

I haven't seen my Dad for a couple of years as he lives abroad but he is back in the UK early next year and coming to stay It will be the first time they have ever stayed over with u, probably because we have never had the space to put them up before.

Tonight I am going to faff about with the budget and see how much we can clear off the parental loan from our bonuses and how much we need to BT. I also need to apply some kind of colour to my legs for a Christmas do tomorrow!

ETA: Scrap the fake tan application! I must have chucked it all away as I cant find any! Will have to change my planned shoes and buy a pair of tights instead.
    Last edited by XSpender; 30-11-2017 at 7:03 PM.
    EF £1000 - £0
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 1st Dec 17, 12:34 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 27,959 Thanks
    XSpender
    The settlement figure for the parental loan is £2608.48.

After reviewing the budget, what we still need to cover for Christmas, the money for the decorator and IF we can stick to our planned spending we should have just under £1500 left over.

However, a part of the dishwasher has broken off and I cannot seem to find a replacement part on line. I will ask DH to look at this on Saturday and see if he can find one. I can not manage without a dishwasher so I will hold back some of the money available just in case it needs replacing.

I will suggest to DH that we pay £1108.48 to the loan and BT the rest as planned. I was expecting to need to BT £2000 so this is an improvement. This will leave us money for the dishwasher and if not needed it will start our emergency fund.

I was not going to have an emergency fund but as I intend to chop up the CCs in the NY I will aim to build up to £500 asap and £1000 by the EOY.
    EF £1000 - £0
    • Silvertabby
    • By Silvertabby 1st Dec 17, 12:47 PM
    • 1,937 Posts
    • 2,455 Thanks
    Silvertabby
    I can not manage without a dishwasher Posted by XSpender
    Of course you can. You just need an A4 bit of paper with 'washing up rota' written on it.

I've never had a dishwasher and wouldn't have one for free!
    • kirtsypoos
    • By kirtsypoos 1st Dec 17, 3:13 PM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 13,799 Thanks
    kirtsypoos
    I'm with you XSpender, I'd be utterly lost without my dishwasher - it would cause far too many arguments in our household and honestly I detest washing up

Well done on the figures though, all looking good!
    £150/3000 OH BC(95% PAID)
    PAID VERY, Barclaycard x2, Vanquis, Natwest, O/D, Tesco & MBNA x2 PAID LBM 24/07/15 - Debt: £150/31010.23 (99.51% paid)
    Mortgage - £160,500.00 (2017 O/P £2475.46) PAYDBX 17 #006 - £18,079.25/14,539.71
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 1st Dec 17, 3:21 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 27,959 Thanks
    XSpender
    Of course you can. You just need an A4 bit of paper with 'washing up rota' written on it.

I've never had a dishwasher and wouldn't have one for free!
    Originally posted by Silvertabby
    Unfortunately the rota would have 'Me' on it everyday or 'wait for XSpender to come back' when I am away with work

I'm with you XSpender, I'd be utterly lost without my dishwasher - it would cause far too many arguments in our household and honestly I detest washing up

Well done on the figures though, all looking good!
    Originally posted by kirtsypoos
    Washing up is my least favourite job too, DS is too little and DH doesn't know where the sink is! I even had a mini dishwasher when I lived on my own
    EF £1000 - £0
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 1st Dec 17, 8:24 PM
    • 2,271 Posts
    • 10,994 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I love my dishwasher too and the rota would always have my name on it too . I used to spend an hour a day washing dishes with five of us in the house, until my parents bought me one for Christmas. Best Christmas present EVER

You're doing well with your debt slaying.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 2nd Dec 17, 8:17 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 27,959 Thanks
    XSpender
    To Do List

Clear Arg05 BNPL Done
    Balance CC and allocate to budgets
    Check budget and amount to debt when both paid (DH Tue, Me Thurs)
    Request settlement figure for parental loan to repay next week, half cash and half BT Done
    Meal plan for December (7 evening meals out/away, 1 Christmas dinner and 1 takeaway at friends on NYE I don't have to think about) Done
    Plan to get most from 2xlunch allowance and 1 dinner allowance this week (Christmas food) Quiche x 2 and Christmas cake slices bought so far
    Mr T order Done
    Hoover everywhere Downstairs done
    Dust everywhere Downstairs done
    Mop kitchen floor
    Washing and ironing DH has done a couple of loads so far
    Change bedding (weekend)
    Prep 2 walls in bedroom
    Attempt to apply fake tan None in house, will have to buy a pair of tights instead!Take bulbs back
    Buy sealed tins
    Do something nice (and free or cheap) as a family at the weekend[/QUOTE] Went to the forest by a Christmas was nice but not cheap!

I love my dishwasher too and the rota would always have my name on it too . I used to spend an hour a day washing dishes with five of us in the house, until my parents bought me one for Christmas. Best Christmas present EVER

You're doing well with your debt slaying.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    What a great Christmas present!

First Christmas night out last night and spent £20 on 2 drinks

We have gone for a real tree again, hoping it lasts longer than last years that was dead and stinky within a week We bought it from the forestry commission this time. Tree has been decorated and house decoration almost complete but have left 1 of our big decorations in the loft. We have had it all the time DH and I have been together so it is a Christmas essential. I will have to go back into the loft and find it. We would really like some outdoor lights this year too.

DH has cleaned the utility room and done some washing. Unfortunately he has put DS letter to Santa somewhere when tidying up and I cant find it for DS to put on the tree! I still have DS wooden advent calendar to fill with some little chocolates and I am going to put in some activities and Christmassy things like put on DS Christmas duvet cover, decorate gingerbread cookies and make cards for the grandparents. I am a bit behind with this but he does have a shop bought calendar too.

DS training has been cancelled due to poor pitch conditions do we have a free morning tomorrow, bliss We will finish putting up the Christmas decorations, fix a radiator to the wall and get ready for a very busy week next week.
    EF £1000 - £0
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 3rd Dec 17, 8:53 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 27,959 Thanks
    XSpender
    To Do List

Clear Arg05 BNPL Done
    Balance CC and allocate to budgets - Made a start
    Check budget and amount to debt when both paid (DH Tue, Me Thurs) Done
    Mr T order Done
    Hoover everywhere Downstairs done
    Dust everywhere Downstairs done
    Mop kitchen floor
    Washing and ironing DH has done a couple of loads so far
    Change bedding (weekend)
    Prep 2 walls in bedroom- DFIL will do some of this next week
    Buy sealed tins
    Do something nice (and free or cheap) as a family at the weekendWent to the forest to buy a Christmas tree was nice but not cheap!, watched The Grinch snuggled up on the sofa and DS had his first try of Toblerone

A bit embarrassing that all the jobs not done involve house work

We bought the outside lights I wanted for Christmas and ended up in Mr T again Apart from that we have had a good walk with the dog and DH has done all the washing and some ironing.

I am feeling a bit under the weather, not helped by DS ending up in our bed last night so I have had 2 poor nights sleep, and have another cold sore coming up

I have 3 long and tough days away with work next week so wont be getting much done. I will organise the BT so that I can pay off parental loan at the end of the week as I will have to go into the branch to take out the cash. I still have nearly £40 of coins to pay in too.

I have had the monthly interest paid on my bank account and was going to TT that and round down the account but I don't know where to send it. Do I add it to the emergency fund, send it to the card I want to target first or stick it in a holding pot on YNAB until I have a decent amount saved off to pay across? I haven't done TTs for sometime as YNAB is a zero based budget system so every £ is allocated somewhere and there is no surplus.
    EF £1000 - £0
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 4th Dec 17, 10:59 AM
    • 632 Posts
    • 3,567 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Absolutely with you on the DW, washing up used to cause so many rows, and I simply wouldn't bother baking if I had to hand wash stuff.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 4th Dec 17, 5:11 PM
    • 6,654 Posts
    • 48,773 Thanks
    apple muncher
    I had noticed too that the houseworky jobs weren't getting done. But I was cheering you on for having your priorities right!
    NST DDD#1; NSD 9/15; Ex 4/12; craft 11/30 (267); remove 6/31 (601)
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3708/£4050; 2
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 4th Dec 17, 8:24 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 27,959 Thanks
    XSpender
    I had noticed too that the houseworky jobs weren't getting done. But I was cheering you on for having your priorities right!
    Originally posted by apple muncher
    I have done some, just not the ones on the list I do admit that my standards (and time available) is not as high as others but the place is relatively clean and tidy and DH helped this weekend which doesn't happen often. And the decorations are up

Nothing spent so far today but I am about to order some window film to go on the clear utility window where we removed the horrible net curtain on Sunday. It is overlooking next doors patio and I think there are rules about that kind of window, its quite big. The window film is pretty, gives privacy, lets the light in and means I don't need a blind or curtain up.

I also need to order a proper mat for the mat well before someone trips and breaks the neck as we have one on top of the other in there at the moment and they are not quite tall enough to fill it.

I have decided to cancel the Mr T order for Friday as we really don't need anything and we will end up doing a Mr T visit anyway before Christmas. Costly with DH in tow but at least I wont be spending £100 twice.

The Elf took DS letter to Santa on Sunday night and came back with his reply this morning and some everlasting snow (40% off on black Friday from the Royal Mail). One very happy boy this morning

DS is at DPIL until Thursday as I leave for work at 6am tomorrow and return at 8pm Thursday. Missing him terribly already and feeling lots of Mummy guilt

DH and I are about to watch Miracle on 34th Street as he has never seen it.
    EF £1000 - £0
    • groovychick69
    • By groovychick69 11th Dec 17, 7:47 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    groovychick69
    Hope everything is ok with you CSpender - have missed your diary updates
    • groovychick69
    • By groovychick69 11th Dec 17, 7:48 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 236 Thanks
    groovychick69
    Bloomin auto correct XSpender!
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 11th Dec 17, 9:00 PM
    • 432 Posts
    • 2,962 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Another popping in hoping all is well x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 14th Dec 17, 12:31 PM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 27,959 Thanks
    XSpender
    Thank you both for popping in to see if I was OK. I have been reading diaries but haven't had the head space to update mine. Work is manic as we close 22nd December until the New Year and I have 2 projects to land and to prepare the launch of a 3rd by then!

We have also had lots of Christmas social events. DS is at 2 pantos this weekend (due to DFIL booking one without checking the date we were going) and has some event or another on just about every day this week and next.

We have only had half an inch of snow which has all disappeared now but I did have to cancel one meeting as it was in the midlands.

All Christmas gifts are bought and all but 3 wrapped. One needs picking up from the local shop this afternoon. Almost all the Christmas food has been bought and I have a delivery coming 22nd to avoid visiting the supermarket next week.

We have the decorator coming next week for 3 days and still have some preparation work to do which must be done this weekend but DH is at work Saturday, getting his hair cut in the afternoon and we are out Sunday.

I have totted up the CC spends and am horrified at how much DH has spent on himself over the last 2 months, since he got his first salary at his new job. I have spent money too but DH spends are 2.5 times more.

I still need to do the BT to the bank account to SIF the parental loan as we should still be able to pay £1000 of bonus towards it (if DH ever stops spending as he has another night out next week. I do too but a friend won free tickets so the meal and band is costing us under £5 each )

We are planning an Uber Frugal January and have signed up to the challenge on Frugawoods' blog. My Dad is visiting from abroad for the first time in several years towards the end of the month so I will need to factor this in somehow.

I am starting to put together my action plans for next year as I always do in December, the first one will be to stop DH looking at holidays!
    EF £1000 - £0
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 16th Dec 17, 10:20 AM
    • 2,705 Posts
    • 27,959 Thanks
    XSpender
    Measuring the Size of The Hole
    This week we made the decision to consolidate some of the interest bearing credit card debt into a loan at the same monthly payment as the parental loan we have just repaid. Although the general advice is not to consolidate I have no problem paying a loan back, it is like a bill, it is using CCs that I cannot manage.

Below I have detailed the total huge black hole of debt we are in. It has gone up significantly since May for various reasons including overspending.

Lloyds Loan #1……………….£10,411.21….£275.11…..3.9% APR…….41 payments left
    Lloyds Loan #2……………….£14,500.00….£265.98…..3.9% APR…….60 payments left
    Lloyds CC……………………….£2979.76….….£29.66…….0.0% APR…….until March 2019
    Virgin (Me) Part 1…………..£1176.49……..£22.15………0.0% APR…….until March 2018
    Virgin (Me) Part 2…………..£1038.00……..£0.00….…….0.0% APR…….until Sept 2018
    Virgin (DH) Part 1……………£543.74……….£108.76…..0.0% APR…….until March 2018
    Virgin (DH) Part 2……………£5959.20……..£0.00………0.0% APR…….until July 2018
    Virgin (DH) Part 3……………£4372.97……..£0.00………0.0% APR…….until Sept 2018
    MBNA…………………………….£8370.45……..£83.71…….0.0% APR….…until Sept 2019
    Person 1…………………………£1275.79……..£0.00……….0.0% APR……………………………
    Person 2…………………………£1246.23..…...£0.00……….0.0% APR……………………………*
    Hitachi…………………………...£1439.31……..£47.97……...0.0% APR…….BNPL payments start May 2018

TOTAL £53,315.15

TOTAL MONTHLY REPAYMENTS £785.37 (excluding BNPL payment)

AVAILABLE FOR OVERPAYMENTS £150.00

FIRST TARGET DEBT Virgin (DH) Part 1

*not technically a debt but have added it in anyway as I want to pay this in 2018

I have split the debts into the different promotional rates to work out what to focus on first but also because the smaller balances seem like more achievable targets.

I have £132 of expenses, £8.55 TCB and about £40 of change to be paid off the target debt before the end of December.

In January we are taking part in both the Uber Frugal Challenge and Water Aids drink only water challenge for four weeks which should save us some money too. This should free up enough cash to clear Virgin (DH) Part 1 and pay enough towards the next target debt, Virgin (Me) Part 1 to get it under £1100. The challenge will be keeping to the budget as my Dad and Stepmum are visiting for the first time in years, first time staying with us ever, and I will need some nice food, a meal out and a double duvet as we are 1 short.

All extra cash, TTs etc. will go towards Virgin (Me) Part 1 along with the £150 OP amount until it is cleared. I am hoping to have reduced it to below £500 by the end of March when interest starts being applied. I have a bonus due at the end of April which will clear this and the same to another debt.

DH can apply for a new 0% CC deal to transfer his Virgin balances too if we decide against clearing the CCs when we re-mortgage. I am reluctant to re-mortgage to clear the cards as it will impact the rate we can get going forward and we are on a high rate already. If it is the only way we can re-mortgage, then we will do it as going on SVR will cost an extra £250/month. My virgin CC will have sufficient limit to transfer to but I do not want all the debt in my name, not because I think DH will run off, I want him to have some responsibility for it too.

I will then focus on clearing the rest of my Virgin card before tackling the Lloyds card if we don’t pay them off with the re-mortgage.

I have removed all the cards from my purse except the Lloyds card which I may need for work expenses as there has been a mix up between work and their bank and my replacement corporate CC has failed to turn up twice. Any expenses will be paid off as soon as I am paid.

I have persuaded DH that there is no money in the budget for a week in the sun, but I have budgeted for a week in the tent! Any new projects on the house, major purchases or holidays will have to come from DH bonuses. Well, half of them as I am going to pay half towards the debt. I haven’t included any of DH bonuses in my repayment schedule as it is going to be a good 6 months before he starts getting a decent bonus every month.

This month we have paid off the parental loan, using some of our bonus and some of the new loan and have cleared the balance of the BNPL from the bonus as well as paying our monthly payments. I have held on to £500 of the bonus to start our emergency fund as both the DW and WM are not working brilliantly at the moment.
    Last edited by XSpender; Today at 10:23 AM.
    EF £1000 - £0
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 16th Dec 17, 11:46 AM
    • 6,654 Posts
    • 48,773 Thanks
    apple muncher
    This is one awesome plan. Well done.

Just a thought - could you borrow a double duvet? When I go and stay with my sister, they borrow a whole set of bedding for me, as I'm stupidly allergic to their pets.
    NST DDD#1; NSD 9/15; Ex 4/12; craft 11/30 (267); remove 6/31 (601)
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3708/£4050; 2
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,674Posts Today

5,894Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin