Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 4th May 17, 11:12 AM
    • 2,628Posts
    • 27,068Thanks
    XSpender
    Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt
    • 4th May 17, 11:12 AM
    Spend Nowt, Buy Nowt, Owe Nowt 4th May 17 at 11:12 AM
    How do I start what feels like yet another diary?

After being on the MFW board I have come back to the DFW board to shift the debt we have run up in the last 12 months.

A quick back story….DH and I are classic impulsive over spenders who went pop back in late 2008 and managed to climb out of the pit of debt we were in by me losing my job and a big redundancy pay out in early 2010. We avoided debt until 12 months ago when we found our dream house about 4 months before we had planned to start looking which we could afford but were short on the deposit. If we had only ended up borrowing the bit we needed to top up the deposit we would be have been debt free by now.

We have run up debt on buying the house, having some work done in the house and some furniture and soft furnishings and impulsive spending on holidays, meals out and the odd high ticket item. We thought we were past making these kinds of stupid decisions and are both worried and angry with ourselves at the level of debt we are in once again.

The one thing we are agreed on is that we will live on fresh air to keep this house and we need to sort our finances out to give us the security that this could never happen. One day I will get to be a MFW again!

To make matters worse 6 months after we moved DH has had some issues at work and has taken a job (same company) at a different location which has resulted in a reduction in the bonus he is paid monthly effectively reducing his monthly take home pay and his travel costs have gone up significantly. It hasn’t done much to reduce his stress levels either!

Worrying about money and our financial security has started to get to me and I don’t want to feel like that again, I thought I had left that behind in 2010. It makes me worry about losing my job and I then start to doubt my ability to do my job. I also worry it will impact on our ability to re-mortgage at a good rate in 12 months’ time.

I manage the finances but DH has (finally) got on board and has been writing his own plan about how we can stop spending and stop buying so we can owe nowt. Our good friends are also pulling in the purse strings as they have a family holiday to pay for so we have agreed to entertain each other at home rather than go out for meals with the kids which we did at least twice a month.

Current Debts

Bank of Mum and Dad - £4336.66 (17 payments left)
    Bank Loan - £12,114.51 (49 payments left)
    Bank CC - £9019.51 (1% payment to come off for May) – all at 0%
    DH CC - £5500 approx. – all at 0% until August
    My CC – £5782.31 – mostly 0% but some spending at standard rate
    BNPL – £400 – due 21st December 2017
    Owed to DS – £1296.79 – 0%
    Balance of trip to New York - £1098 due October 2017

TOTAL £39,547.78

Our plan is to drastically cut our spending and cancel the trip to New York for a start. There is not much we can do about our bills until June/July when they will all be up for renewal and I will hit the comparison sites. It is our spending on food and booze and stuff that needs to be reigned in hence the title of this diary.

If we can stop adding to the debt by paying the minimum payments each month as well as clearing the BNPL we will knock £6000 off the balance by the end of this year. My goal is to be under £30,000 owed by the end of the year and then have cleared all CCs by June 2018 which is a massive challenge. We both get performance related bonuses, DH quarterly and me twice a year but none of these are guaranteed.

Wish us luck and control over our spending urges.
    EF £1000 - £0
Page 10
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 30th Sep 17, 9:36 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 27,068 Thanks
    XSpender
    Goodness me HI, that is a lot of doors! I will have a look at what B&Q can do or will go for a curtain as a temporary measure. DH thinks a curtain is a very clever idea

DH has put on a thin coat of paint for the plaster all over the walls and ceiling, 2 coats of paint on the ceilings and 1 coat of undercoat on the walls this week and we have both applied one coat of colour to the walls this afternoon. It needs another 2 coats at least .

Very spendy week what with the paint and materials, DH shirts, ties and a new suit, 2 pairs of school trousers for DS as his new school only allow grey and he had a mix of grey and black, Halloween costumes, face paint, spider web tights and a fake blood covered chopper I wasn't planning to buy the costumes so soon but DS wanted to go as Dracula last year but we couldn't find one left anywhere in his size so when he saw this one today we bought it. All from Wilkos for £30. I have seen a ladies witch costume at Aldi for £7.99 (go into store Thursday) which will be perfect for me with my snazzy tights and a pair of black boots.

I did save over £70 on the shirts and ties thanks to a 3 for 2 and a Sparks offer. Oh and got DH a lunch bag as he cant go into his new place of work with his lunch in a scruffy carrier bag like he normally does

Food shop at Aldi came to £31 for the week which is low for us but did include 5 bottles of beer for DH and shake n vac, crisps and tube yogurt things which weren't on the list. I also bought 1 of the copy slimming world ready meals for DH to try If he likes them that will be a good saving for us and save a trip to icy land.

We have had a bit of a financial disaster this afternoon though. DH agreed to have some work done this afternoon by a chap who called on spec. He negotiated a good price for cash and it was something that we needed doing before winter sets in but hadn't got time to do ourselves. It was only when I was stood in front of the cash point did I realise that I had already withdrawn almost all my cash limit that morning to pay DMIL and had to use a CC, the only one I had on me was the most expensive one I have! I feel terrible having to do it but they were in the middle of the work and I had no other option Good job they made such a good job of the work.

DH said this evening that he doesn't want anything for Christmas as he has had so much this year. He is a real kid when it comes to Christmas and presents so this is a big thing for him. I couldn't tell you anything I want so I am more than happy to agree to this and as we have already knocked catering for others off our list this year due to the cost (and some repeated lack of appreciation) our Christmas budget is plummeting.

We have seen some lights we like for the hall and landing but have agreed to put all further spends on hold and are going to be very careful over the next 3 months to clear some of the debt we have added to the debt mountain over the last couple of months and to rebuild our small cushion.

I am going to set some goals for October and the rest of the year and report back tomorrow.

Apologies for the epic post if you got this far!
    EF £1000 - £0
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 30th Sep 17, 10:44 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 2,535 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Oh no! to the unwanted CC spending. These things happen and the best laid plans, etc. It was an expenditure you'd agreed to, though, and as you say, a good price, so it could have been a lot worse. Getting things done before winter seems to be a bit of a theme for some reason at the moment.

Looking forward to your October goals.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 2nd Oct 17, 11:03 AM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 27,068 Thanks
    XSpender
    Goals
    It's blowing a hooligan here and both my boys have started their new adventures today

I have set some goals for this week, October and then up until the end of Jan. This gives us enough time to get back on track, see exactly what DH comes out with and will take us up to when he should receive his first bonus at the end of January. We will not be overpaying our debt until February but will not be increasing it and will be making all our regular payments so it will be coming down. We also need to get the work completed in the hall, landing and stairs which is a bigger job than we anticipated.

This Week’s Goals

• No spending Monday to Friday
    • Use dinner allowances for groceries and edible Christmas gifts (£40) and plan how to get the most for the money while still having something to eat!
    • Stick to this week’s meal plan
    • Fresh stuff - use it or freeze it, don’t waste it
    • Lunch to work every day for DH
    • Meal plan for next week, check freezer before shopping and stick to the list!

This Month’s Goals

• October is all about damage limitation
    • Reduce planned food budget by £150 (£350 instead of £500 for a 5-week month)
    • Go sober for October – DH and I are not drinking this month so this should save an additional £100
    • Meal plan and shop from freezer and cupboards, check what we have before go shopping
    • Credit card only to be used for additional decorating materials and Christmas Eve event (if we decide to go). If I can cut the food budget enough I could cover the decorating from this month’s budget as we are only going to buy a tin of wood primer this month.
    • Use dinner allowance to buy groceries and food gifts for Christmas (1 chocolates, 1 sweets, 2 big boxes of nice biscuits)
    • Keep downstairs tidy
    • Arrange low cost dinner with friends and don't commit to any other social events
    • Have lost 10lbs in total on SW (and got my half stone certificate)

Plan for November to January

• No credit card spending at all
    • Pay minimum payments to all CC and loans
    • SIF Argos BNPL (£250)
    • Stick to YNAB budget, keep funds in the pots to which they have been allocated to build up a surplus for when needed
    • No Christmas gifts for DH and me this year
    • Use nectar points, Clubcard points and shop and scan vouchers towards Christmas gifts or use nectar and Clubcard for food and put cash amount from food budget into Christmas gift pot
    • My bonus to be used for Christmas gifts and remainder used for emergency fund
    • Additional income from DH new salary to build a £1000 emergency fund
    • Remainder of DH additional income to be put to one side to complete work in hall, landing, stairs
    • Both to collect nectar points on fuel (we do a lot of miles, we should have more than we do)
    • Submit receipts to shop and scan for more points
    • Start doing surveys again if I can face it
    • Find something to wear for the 2 events I have in November without buying anything new
    Last edited by XSpender; 02-10-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    EF £1000 - £0
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 2nd Oct 17, 5:03 PM
    • 6,408 Posts
    • 46,765 Thanks
    apple muncher
    These are great goal an plans. So comprehensive!
    NST Organise October #10; NSD 12/20; Ex 6/20; craft 6/31 (212); remove 514
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3229/£4050; 2
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £23,996 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 2nd Oct 17, 9:20 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 27,068 Thanks
    XSpender
    NSDS - 1
    Go Sober days - 2
    EF £1000 - £0
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 3rd Oct 17, 9:59 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 27,068 Thanks
    XSpender
    Still away with work

2 NSDS
    3 days Go Sober
    EF £1000 - £0
    • Scott_Weiland
    • By Scott_Weiland 3rd Oct 17, 10:13 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 1,381 Thanks
    Scott_Weiland
    It's blowing a hooligan here and both my boys have started their new adventures today

I have set some goals for this week, October and then up until the end of Jan. This gives us enough time to get back on track, see exactly what DH comes out with and will take us up to when he should receive his first bonus at the end of January. We will not be overpaying our debt until February but will not be increasing it and will be making all our regular payments so it will be coming down. We also need to get the work completed in the hall, landing and stairs which is a bigger job than we anticipated.

This Week’s Goals

• No spending Monday to Friday
    • Use dinner allowances for groceries and edible Christmas gifts (£40) and plan how to get the most for the money while still having something to eat!
    • Stick to this week’s meal plan
    • Fresh stuff - use it or freeze it, don’t waste it
    • Lunch to work every day for DH
    • Meal plan for next week, check freezer before shopping and stick to the list!

This Month’s Goals

• Reduce planned food budget by £150 (£350 instead of £500 for a 5-week month)
    • Go sober for October – DH and I are not drinking this month so this should save an additional £100
    • Meal plan and shop from freezer and cupboards, check what we have before go shopping
    • Credit card only to be used for additional decorating materials and Christmas Eve event (if we decide to go). If I can cut the food budget enough I could cover the decorating from this month’s budget as we are only going to buy a tin of wood primer this month.
    • Use dinner allowance to buy groceries and food gifts for Christmas (1 chocolates, 1 sweets, 2 big boxes of nice biscuits)
    • Keep downstairs tidy
    • Arrange low cost dinner with friends and don't commit to any other social events
    • Have lost 10lbs in total on SW (and got my half stone certificate)

Plan for November to January

• No credit card spending at all
    • Pay minimum payments to all CC and loans
    • SIF Argos BNPL (£250)
    • Stick to YNAB budget, keep funds in the pots to which they have been allocated to build up a surplus for when needed
    • No Christmas gifts for DH and me this year
    • Use nectar points, Clubcard points and shop and scan vouchers towards Christmas gifts or use nectar and Clubcard for food and put cash amount from food budget into Christmas gift pot
    • My bonus to be used for Christmas gifts and remainder used for emergency fund
    • Additional income from DH new salary to build a £1000 emergency fund
    • Remainder of DH additional income to be put to one side to complete work in hall, landing, stairs
    • Both to collect nectar points on fuel (we do a lot of miles, we should have more than we do)
    • Submit receipts to shop and scan for more points
    • Start doing surveys again if I can face it
    • Find something to wear for the 2 events I have in November without buying anything new
    Originally posted by XSpender
    re nectar its worth doing i have my nectar card linked with my ebay account which is worth doing. Anything i buy on ebay i get nectar points on. I can covert points into ebay money off vouchers

https://reward.ebay.co.uk/rwdwebui/nectar/cobranded
    Debts 16125.64
    Cashback Earnings YTD £164.20 Survey Earnings YTD £499.08
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 5th Oct 17, 8:36 AM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 27,068 Thanks
    XSpender
    4 days Go Sober for DH and I and 3 NSDs for me.

DH has managed to spend £15 on food when I was away.

DH is loving his new job but still needs to sort out a couple of things like his bonus structure and how he pays for his fuel. He may have to pay this upfront rather than on a fuel card which is deducted at the end of the month as he has done for the last few years. I haven't budgeted for fuel costs upfront (500 miles per week) so this will eat up the YNAB surplus I have managed to scrape from cutting the food budget and other pots this month if we do have to pay upfront. If we do pay up front DH needs to get in the habit of filling up at the weekend at Sains near home so we can get the nectar points or Asda in his work town where the fuel is cheap and not leaving it until he is so low on fuel he has to use the expensive rural garage on the way to and from work.

We have only spent £68.13 on food this week (last day of budget week today) including a Maccy Dees breakfast and DH £15 food spends which is a huge reduction for us. I have used £30 of my dinner allowances from his week to buy some grocery basics and a box of sweets for a Christmas gift. We don't need much more than bread, milk and fruit this week and a jar of coffee.

I have no overnights next week so will make DH lunches to keep the costs low.

This Week’s Goals

• No spending Monday to Friday - M, T, W for me
    Use dinner allowances for groceries and edible Christmas gifts (£40) and plan how to get the most for the money while still having something to eat! Done
    • Stick to this week’s meal plan - so far so good, need to defrost chicken for tonight
    Fresh stuff - use it or freeze it, don’t waste itDone
    • Lunch to work every day for DH - Not done
    Meal plan for next week, check freezer before shopping and stick to the list!

This Month’s Goals

• Reduce planned food budget by £150 (£350 instead of £500 for a 5-week month) Aiming for under £300 which will be a challenge
    • Go sober for October – DH and I are not drinking this month so this should save an additional £100 - 4 days so far, weekend will be tricky
    • Use dinner allowance to buy groceries and food gifts for Christmas (1 chocolates, 1 sweets, 2 big boxes of nice biscuits) Done this for the 2 nights away so far and bought 1 gift
    • Keep downstairs tidy - DMIL has helped this week
    * Have lost 10lbs in total on SW (and got my half stone certificate) - must get back on plan!
    Last edited by XSpender; 05-10-2017 at 12:21 PM.
    EF £1000 - £0
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 6th Oct 17, 2:10 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 27,068 Thanks
    XSpender
    Food shop done and over the reduced budget of £70 but bought a few multi buys which would be used this month like bread rolls and dog food. DH requested some beer so he is out of Go Sober for October but I am still going for it and have not bought any wine. We will need a cheap food shop next week to keep under the revised budget.

Budget looks surprisingly OK but that could be always be cos I've made a !!!! up in YNAB somewhere!

I am avoiding adding up our new debt total

I've made a spreadsheet to plot and track it, just not input the CC figures yet

DH is finishing the decorating this weekend and we are going to look at a cheaper flooring option. May also get a quote on doors but not buying any yet. Not buying the floor yet either. Man coming to give us a quote on some external work on Saturday but not buying that too

I am re-reading Dave Ramsey. Aiming to complete step 1 by the end of November (£1000 emergency fund) and save £500 towards Christmas. Budget is £650, all from cash flow.

Bought a fancy dress costume in Asda for £18 instead of the £7.99 dress in Aldi. This ones got long sleeves and I will need them where we are going on Halloween and probably a thermal vest too!

I managed 4 NSDs this week so far. Wont get one Saturday but will take flask to DS Rugby to avoid buying hot drinks for me and DH on Sunday so may snaffle another one then.
    EF £1000 - £0
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 7th Oct 17, 8:59 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 27,068 Thanks
    XSpender
    Feeling a bit nauseous as I had a disaster with dinner and read the recipe wrong for the enchilada spice mix I was making and added 2 tbsps. not 2 tsps. of chilli powder. It took an additional 2 cartons of passata to cool it down and was still too spicy for DS though he did try and eat it as he loves enchiladas. DH thought it was lovely!

Added to the grocery spends in aldi today. Why are bulbs so expensive? I now have £120 to last 3 weeks if I want to come in under my super tight budget of £300. It was £350 but I have knocked £50 off for me not drinking all month which is a bit high as I don't drink that much! DH lasted 5 days until the weekend!

DH has been getting on with the glossing and DS and I have had a good clear out of his room. A few toys and books for the charity shop and 2 bin liners full of clothes It was useful doing the clear out today as I can see what he has toy wise and am clear on what he doesn't need for Christmas (any more board games). He has asked for 3 things and 1 of these my DM will probably get him.

We have spent on the CC today. Primer, a brush and brush cleaner, 2 shirts for DH while they are still a third off and the tickets for the Christmas eve event as planned.

I have been brave and added up the total debt and it isn't pretty. Still focussing on minimum payments, building an emergency fund and covering Christmas from cash and vouchers over the next 3 months.

It cost £80 to fill DH car and this was for less than a week This came out of the current account but the fuel for the rest of the month will have to go on a card and then I can budget for it from next month. We just don't have the funds this month.

DH thinks he might earn some bonus this month

I filled my car up at sains yesterday and won £5 worth of nectar points which is another £5 towards DS main present, I have £85 now in vouchers.

Plans for tomorrow are DS match in the morning, move bedroom furniture around, DS spelling practice, more painting, laundry and hopefully spend a couple of hours with some friends.
    EF £1000 - £0
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 8th Oct 17, 10:14 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 27,068 Thanks
    XSpender
    October Week 1 - End of Week Update
    Update on This Week’s Goals

• No spending Monday to Friday Achieved MTWTH and would have got today but bought the flooring
    • Use dinner allowances for groceries and edible Christmas gifts (£40) and plan how to get the most for the money while still having something to eat!Done and bought 1 gift
    • Stick to this week’s meal plan Almost, but used stuff from freezer when changed plan
    • Fresh stuff - use it or freeze it, don’t waste it 1/4 cabbage and 2 bananas never got used
    • Lunch to work every day for DH - No but 1st week at new job and I was away
    • Meal plan for next week, check freezer before shopping and stick to the list! Done

This Month’s Goals

• Reduce planned food budget by £150 (£350 instead of £500 for a 5-week month) This will be a massive challenge
    • Go sober for October – DH and I are not drinking this month so this should save an additional £100 DH lasted until the weekend but I am still going strong so have cut £50 off budget not £100
    • Meal plan and shop from freezer and cupboards, check what we have before go shopping Ongoing
    • Credit card only to be used for additional decorating materials and Christmas Eve event (if we decide to go). If I can cut the food budget enough I could cover the decorating from this month’s budget as we are only going to buy a tin of wood primer this month Bought primer, brush, brush cleaner, Christmas Eve tickets, 2 work shirts for DH and wooden flooring for hallway
    • Use dinner allowance to buy groceries and food gifts for Christmas (1 chocolates, 1 sweets, 2 big boxes of nice biscuits) Done for 2 nights so far and bought sweets
    • Keep downstairs tidy This is going well surprisingly with some help from MIL
    * Have lost 10lbs in total on SW (and got my half stone certificate)

DH asthma has been getting worse recently and we can only put it down to the hallway and the dust from the old floor so have committed to getting the wooden floor laid in 2 weeks. This will help with keeping the heating costs down too. The 2 week deadline for the floor means we have to get the painting finished so should spur us on.

Re-reading Dave Ramsey and am up to the chapter on baby step 2. It is making me think about what debts I prioritise to pay off first. I have crunched the numbers and we could be debt free by mid 2019, a year before we are fifty This is all dependant on our bonuses and DH still hasn't got details on how his is structured although he does know the amount. I am also realising that while DH likes the idea of being debt free and mortgage free he is not interested in the details or on living on beans and rice to get there. I'm not sure how I can fire him up to be more frugal. He did mention tonight that someone he knows was looking for a room to rent for someone else but DH said he wouldn't feel comfortable with a strange bloke in the house.

Next weeks plan:

* Frugality by stealth is this week's theme
    * The food budget needs to be under £20 cash on Friday. I don't have any meal allowances to play with this week
    * Stick to the meal plan for this week
    * Bake a cake and create a lunch for DMs on Saturday for 5 with what we have in (DM will provide ham and salad) as she has broken her wrist and can't cook and I have offered so we don't eat out which we can't afford this month
    * Meal plan and check freezer to keep shopping list to bare minimum without DH feeling like there is nothing in and spending £30 on snacks at the weekend
    * DH pack lunch to work every day
    * Keep going on Go Sober
    * Get back on SW and lose 2 lb
    * Exercise 5 days (dog walk or run)
    Last edited by XSpender; 08-10-2017 at 10:18 PM.
    EF £1000 - £0
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 9th Oct 17, 3:30 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 27,068 Thanks
    XSpender
    I forgot what I had put on the meal plan for his week so I have copied over from the Grocery Challenge thread so its easier to find.

Friday - SW Chicken and Chorizo Spanish Rice - Nope
    Saturday - Cheesy Chicken and Bean Enchiladas and spicy wedges Yes but no wedges
    Sunday - Sausage and mash, kale, carrots, cauliflower, gravy DH had l/o and I had nothing
    Monday - SW Sausage and bacon pasta bake (HM) using SW chorizo style sausages and l/o sauce (diluted!!!!) from Saturday
    Tuesday - SW Veggie pasties, mushy peas and SW chips (If I can find some more wraps in the freezer as DS wanted wraps for lunches)
    Wednesday - SW slow cooker spicy pork and rice
    Thursday - Veggie lentil chilli and wedges
    EF £1000 - £0
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 740 Posts
    • 2,535 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Slightly worried that you didn't eat on Sunday... but you've got me wanting chorizo, it's perfect for cheering up grey days.
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 10th Oct 17, 8:47 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 27,068 Thanks
    XSpender
    Slightly worried that you didn't eat on Sunday... but you've got me wanting chorizo, it's perfect for cheering up grey days.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    That's half my problem, Cherryfudge, I miss meals too often and am still a stone more than my idea weight although I can't say I am actually overweight it was getting close before I joined SW in the summer. I got my half stone badge at SW last night, only taken me 8 weeks! Aiming for another 3lb by the end of the month

The chorizo and sundried tomato risotto in the recipe list on the grocery challenge thread is one of our favourite meals

Got £10 given yesterday and treated DH to a Chinese last night. Added £2.50 in cash to the tenner.

I have been number crunching today and want to aim to be debt free by 26.07.19, not too specific then and mortgage free by 2025. Just need DH on board.

No spending by me today but DH bought a sandwich at work. He took a RM today but is finding it difficult to get time to prepare it at work so we are going back to sandwiches/pasties/salads.

Frugality by stealth is this week's theme
    * The food budget needs to be under £20 cash on Friday. I don't have any meal allowances to play with this week - Looking nearer £30 as can use £25 allowances next week
    * Stick to the meal plan for this week OK so far
    * Bake a cake and create a lunch for DMs on Saturday for 5 with what we have in (DM will provide ham and salad) as she has broken her wrist and can't cook and I have offered so we don't eat out which we can't afford this month - AGCJ Peach and White Chocolate tray bake, cheese scones, quiche
    * Meal plan and check freezer to keep shopping list to bare minimum without DH feeling like there is nothing in and spending £30 on snacks at the weekend Done, will double check freezer
    * DH pack lunch to work every day Done but back to sandwiches
    * Keep going on Go Sober - 10 days and haven't missed it at all
    * Get back on SW and lose 2 lb - lost 1lb this week, aiming for another one by Monday
    * Exercise 5 days (dog walk or run) Oops
    EF £1000 - £0
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 11th Oct 17, 5:37 AM
    • 1,009 Posts
    • 9,298 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Sounds like you are doing so well with all your goals, and great that you've got a (very specific!) DFD to aim for.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: £58,608.13/1st Dec 2026
    debt on 2nd Aug 17/DFD: £55,011.96/1st May 2025
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 11th Oct 17, 8:35 AM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 27,068 Thanks
    XSpender
    I checked TCB last night and had £31 odd payable which I was going to use to kick start my emergency fund but they were offering 8% extra for M&S gift card so have gone for that instead. We are buying PIL a M&S hamper for Christmas which currently have 10% off so with the voucher will come in at £33 ish I have covered the sweets DS buys them from a my work dinner allowance so all in all will have saved over £65 against my usual budget for them. I hope the voucher arrives before the 10% off ends at M&S!

I slept like a log after a poor sleep the two previous nights so am full of energy this morning and have a small list of jobs to complete:
    • DS is moving up a grade in swimming so need to check if changing time or day. If day he can do music lessons
    • Put SW spicy pork in slow cooker (meat is out defrosting already)
    • Change our bedding
    • Dust and hoover our bedroom
    • Walk the dog
    • Batch cook veggie chilli
    • Send off my expenses!
    • Order DH a replacement nectar card if I can do it on line/find his old one

Had a good chat with DH this morning about his fuel and have agreed to fill up his car on a Thursday evening at Sains to take advantage of nectar points and cheaper fuel. At £80/week for him this should build up well over the year for next Christmas but keep fuel costs lower too. We can also take advantage of the vouchers you get for so much off a litre of fuel. The cost of fuel doesn't impact on my personal mileage bill and didn't for DH (set pence per mile) but does now. I need to ensure I use Sains as well to fill up for the nectar points too.
    EF £1000 - £0
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 12th Oct 17, 10:42 AM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 27,068 Thanks
    XSpender
    I managed 1 thing off my list yesterday and sent off my expenses

I did pick up the flooring we bought at the weekend and DH has arranged for the fitter to come at the end of the month. DH has now got a deadline for 1 more coat of emulsion and to finish the glossing of which there is a lot.

A school Mum has advised that's school music lessons are done at lunchtime so I will ring and check today. This will cost £65 a term.

We filled DH car up at Sains last night and collected nectar points We did spend £6+ in Aldi on essentials and £8 in Sains and the takeaway on non essentials. Dinner is half prepared for tonight and I need to use up the pork I defrosted too so that will be tomorrows dinner sorted too. That should free up some time to do the baking and prep for lunch at Mums on Saturday.

DH and I have decided against the large electrical item for DS Christmas and I am looking at a different 2nd hand/refurb item instead which knocks a fair bit off our Christmas budget We normally spend over £1200 on Christmas and this year with cutting back and vouchers etc. I was hoping for £650 but I might squeak in under £400 if I can keep DH under control

Today's List
    • Ring school about music lessons
    • Make pasta bake for tea
    • Stay on SW plan
    • Complete 3 pieces of work as deadline is close
    • Make slow cooker pork for tomorrow
    • Finish frugal meal plan and shopping list for tomorrow
    EF £1000 - £0
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 12th Oct 17, 4:26 PM
    • 1,513 Posts
    • 17,174 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Hiya Spender It's good to see you back on track again after you went MIA after your house move. I just popped in to ask if your DH gets hay fever? you mention he has asthma - as do I. Mine is worst at this time of year because I get hay fever from the leaf mould of autumn. Much worse for asthma than Spring
    MFiT T4 #2 update 31.2% after Q6
    Save £12k in 2017 #64 - £8833.96 saved (80.31%) after September - my annual target is £11,000
    OS Grocery Challenge 2017 budget of £3,600 £3000 (reduced from Apr) - 70.68/75% including stores after July
    My DFD is http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5593594
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 12th Oct 17, 7:57 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 27,068 Thanks
    XSpender
    Hiya Spender It's good to see you back on track again after you went MIA after your house move. I just popped in to ask if your DH gets hay fever? you mention he has asthma - as do I. Mine is worst at this time of year because I get hay fever from the leaf mould of autumn. Much worse for asthma than Spring
    Originally posted by Suffolk lass
    DH does get hay fever and we have a lot of big trees near us so there are fallen leaves everywhere which could be contributing to it. I didn't realise that the leaves could cause a problem.

I actually managed to do everything on my list but put the pork in the slow cooker so that is a must for tomorrow along with cooking some frozen sausage rolls, a quiche and making a tray bake for Mum's. DS will help with the cake, he is a good baker for 7 I also need to do the food shop.

I've stuck to the SW plan today, will have a yogurt later, and have looked up a couple of syn free breakfast ideas including a recipe for quinoa and maple syrup bake/bar which will be great for travelling that is 1/2 syn a piece.

I have some wraps that need to be used up and turned into pasties for DH and I. May have these tomorrow and cook then freeze the pork.

Today's post was sponsored by the contents of the fridge

NSD today
    EF £1000 - £0
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 13th Oct 17, 9:25 PM
    • 2,628 Posts
    • 27,068 Thanks
    XSpender
    The pork is still in the fridge!

Super short list at Asda today but bought 2 Roald Dahl books for DS stocking and I haven't got anything in the pot for Christmas until we get paid at the end of the month. Also spent £6 on eggs and strawberries at the farm shop but the eggs have gone from £3 for 30 to £4 for 30 so may go back to supermarket eggs.

Was hoping for £30 spend but came in at £32.60 as I bought a couple of useful ys items but forgot fizzy water.

DS has made a cake for Mum's tomorrow but I think it may fall apart when coming out of the tin First AGCJ recipe that hasn't been a winner if it does. Will be nice with custard though if it crumbles. I've cooked a quiche I had in the freezer and some cocktail sausage rolls to take and Mum has covered everything else.

Day 16 of Go Sober for October and I could have murdered a glass of wine earlier but having a rooibos tea now instead

DH has beer so tomorrow and Sunday could quite possibly be NSDs
    EF £1000 - £0
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,095Posts Today

8,355Users online

Martin's Twitter