Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fiisch
    • By fiisch 3rd May 17, 9:03 PM
    • 92Posts
    • 21Thanks
    fiisch
    Robo Investing - too good to be true?
    • 3rd May 17, 9:03 PM
    Robo Investing - too good to be true? 3rd May 17 at 9:03 PM
    I'm 30, a new dad, and hate my job/career. I'm a contractor and extremely well paid, to the point where a career change would represent a significant drop in salary.

I've been investigating ways of putting my income to good use, after I've paid off a couple of smallish debts by the end of the year. I've opened a Moneyfarm account to see how it works with a modest sum, and am getting the investor buzz.

However, it seems too good to be true. 20-28% returns depending on your risk profile, which by my calculations could replace my income after 10 or so years if I continue to deposit £250/month. Obviously there is the risk of a drop in the stock market, and ultimately I'd look to diversify with a P2P and second S&S ISA in my wife's name but.....

What am I missing? Surely those returns aren't consistently possible, and if it's that easy why does anyone invest themselves?

I may have got carried away after my first £1.24 in interest and drooling over the possibilities with the help of a compound interest calculator , but before I get carried away - what these robot investors are offering simply doesn't seem feasible, yet reviews I've read seem to support 20%+ returns...?!

What are your thoughts on these new boys? Would I be better off placing my money in P2P (Bond Mason).

Plan to save around £750/month in addition to overpaying mortgage and being otherwise debt free (except car payments, my one vice...!!)
Page 4
    • vigman
    • By vigman 18th May 17, 4:17 PM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    vigman
    [QUOTE=
    For sensible people, there is no point to invest in capital at risk product for the return of lower than 3% where you could still relatively easy to get 2%+ risk free.[/QUOTE]

Please tell me where I can get 2% risk free? There are no ISAs offering this, even 5 year fixes

TIA

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 18th May 17, 4:39 PM
    • 5,066 Posts
    • 4,263 Thanks
    badger09
    Please tell me where I can get 2% risk free? There are no ISAs offering this, even 5 year fixes

TIA

Vigman
    Originally posted by vigman
    There are several current accounts paying up to 5%, and a number of regular savers also paying up to 5%.
    • JohnRo
    • By JohnRo 18th May 17, 4:40 PM
    • 2,354 Posts
    • 2,086 Thanks
    JohnRo
    I may be being incredibly naïve here, but 0.6% annual charge on £10k equates to £60 / year... right?!

As I'm well under that mark, it's not something I'll need to worry about for a while - might be worthwhile stopping my monthly payments as I draw near, then blasting through the £10k limit when I have a decent amount saved up... or indeed pulling my investment and finding another advisor, but if they're returning 20%, what's 0.6% between friends?!
    Originally posted by fiisch
    They're not returning 20%, they're taking 0.6% (above £10K) of whatever return those selected investments deliver. That return is not dependent on where they're held.

So you or anyone else can hold that same basket of investments for a lot less elsewhere.

You can be sure of one thing, as sure as anyone can be of anything, their headline ~20% returns number that's enticed you in will almost certainly be heading a lot lower over the course of your investment time frame, if that's years.
    'We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.' ― Albert Einstein
    'Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.' ― Aldous Huxley
    • Linton
    • By Linton 18th May 17, 4:45 PM
    • 7,952 Posts
    • 7,754 Thanks
    Linton
    20% returns in foreign or larger UK company based investments was easy to achieve in the past year simply because of the BREXIT fall in the value of the £. Such returns arent normal.
    • fiisch
    • By fiisch 18th May 17, 4:51 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    fiisch
    They're not returning 20%, they're taking 0.6% (above £10K) of whatever return those selected investments deliver. That return is not dependent on where they're held.

So you or anyone else can hold that same basket of investments for a lot less elsewhere.

You can be sure of one thing, as sure as anyone can be of anything, their headline ~20% returns number that's enticed you in will almost certainly be heading a lot lower over the course of your investment time frame, if that's years.
    Originally posted by JohnRo

I'm not sure I'm following...

So, for argument's sake, if I was to invest £50,000 and my investment returns 5%, Moneyfarm will take 0.6% of the returns of £40,000... i.e.:

5% return on £40,000 (£50,000-£1000) = £2,000

0.6% of £2,000 = £12 annual fee

Surely not? That seems cheap to me!

Take the point re.: probable returns. From what I understand, over a long-term (i.e.: decades), I'd be doing well to achieve regular 6% YOY ROI. But, reviews on Moneyfarm (e.g.: ThisisMoney) do support the 20%, so I can dream, right?!
    • Linton
    • By Linton 18th May 17, 5:04 PM
    • 7,952 Posts
    • 7,754 Thanks
    Linton
    I'm not sure I'm following...

So, for argument's sake, if I was to invest £50,000 and my investment returns 5%, Moneyfarm will take 0.6% of the returns of £40,000... i.e.:

5% return on £40,000 (£50,000-£1000) = £2,000

0.6% of £2,000 = £12 annual fee

Surely not? That seems cheap to me!

Originally posted by fiisch
    I am afraid not. It's clear on the website. The 0.6% is on the total invested-£10K, not on the gains. So your £50K investment would cost £40K X 0.6%=£240. See here
    • adindas
    • By adindas 18th May 17, 5:38 PM
    • 3,170 Posts
    • 1,519 Thanks
    adindas
    Correct. I was within the 500 as I signed up during the evening after it was announced. The following morning the offer was gone.
    Originally posted by DragonQ
    Indeed, it was sold like like a hot cake for obvious reason.
    But I missed the boat because I was not aware of this offer earlier.
    Last edited by adindas; 18-05-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    • vigman
    • By vigman 19th May 17, 10:18 AM
    • 1,087 Posts
    • 261 Thanks
    vigman
    There are several current accounts paying up to 5%, and a number of regular savers also paying up to 5%.
    Originally posted by badger09
    But only for very small amounts of money surely?

My wife and I each have a Santander 123 account and a joint but these are only paying 1.5% on £20K

Is there anywhere paying a safe 2% on £40K?

TIA

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
    • adindas
    • By adindas 19th May 17, 4:42 PM
    • 3,170 Posts
    • 1,519 Thanks
    adindas
    But only for very small amounts of money surely?

My wife and I each have a Santander 123 account and a joint but these are only paying 1.5% on £20K

Is there anywhere paying a safe 2% on £40K?

TIA

Vigman
    Originally posted by vigman
    If you have maxed out all of current accounts paying 2%+ then you will need to supplement it with drip feeding to Regular saver accounts.

The discussion about this is available here.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=966321&highli

Besides higher interest current accounts, I have more than 20 regular savers paying 2%+, most notably 10x£250 Regular saving Account with virgin money @2.25%pa. I have been draining money to RSA at a rate of about £8000 pm paying at least 2% and I could keep running this iteration continuously while it last.

For more flexibility of managing it, you will also need a temporary container, e.g instant access saving paying about 1% such as Ford Money Flexible Saver or Tesco Internet Saver where you could put a large sum of money. Your money might stay they for a short time while waiting allocation to a higher interest in the RSA.
    Last edited by adindas; 19-05-2017 at 6:33 PM.
    • elephantrosie
    • By elephantrosie 19th May 17, 7:38 PM
    • 329 Posts
    • 81 Thanks
    elephantrosie
    wealthify keeps losing money these days
    Getting bored of my 9 to 5 job.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

398Posts Today

4,576Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin