Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Tron1969
    • By Tron1969 3rd May 17, 9:49 AM
    • 31Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Tron1969
    PRA Group & MBNA Card Debt
    • 3rd May 17, 9:49 AM
    PRA Group & MBNA Card Debt 3rd May 17 at 9:49 AM

I have been on a DMP with Stepchange for about a year and everything has been going ok.

One of the Debts is for Approx £16,000 with MBNA and they agreed to freeze interest and I am currently paying them back £110 a month.

My MBNA card was transferred from a Santander card I would think about 20 years ago.

Recently I received a letter from PRA Group saying they have taken over the Management of my Debt but MBNA are still the legal owners of it. They advised they would contact anyone acting on my behalf if I were in a plan. Currently Stepchange have not been advised of this and payments are continuing to MBNA.

PRA group have started calling me and leaving messages for me to contact them (most recently they called on Bank holiday Monday)

Has anyone had any experience/advice of PRA.

Page 2
    • Tron1969
    • By Tron1969 5th Jul 17, 1:01 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tron1969
    Just an update. PRA were administering the debt for MBNA but as soon as I requested CCA request it looks like the debt has now been sold to PRA and they are now the legal opwners of the debt. Does that sound like MBNA know it is not enforceable. Also what sort of value would they sell a £15k debt for?
    • Tron1969
    • By Tron1969 7th Jul 17, 11:59 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tron1969
    can anyone answer my previous question? Thanks
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 7th Jul 17, 12:10 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,837 Thanks
    sourcrates
    can anyone answer my previous question? Thanks
    Originally posted by Tron1969
    No, that kind of information is a private buisness agreement between the two parties.

It's usually pennies in the pound though.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 7th Jul 17, 12:22 PM
    • 670 Posts
    • 614 Thanks
    StopIt
    It'll likely be an agreement where PRA takes on the management of MBNA's debts in return for the right to buy them later on. It doesn't imply they don't think it's an enforceable debt.

As stated, it'll be cheap. But if it's enforceable it'll make no odds. If the CCA doesn't get answered then it's a write-off either way.
    • poppasmurf_bewdley
    • By poppasmurf_bewdley 7th Jul 17, 12:23 PM
    • 4,954 Posts
    • 5,104 Thanks
    poppasmurf_bewdley
    Just an update. PRA were administering the debt for MBNA but as soon as I requested CCA request it looks like the debt has now been sold to PRA and they are now the legal opwners of the debt. Does that sound like MBNA know it is not enforceable. Also what sort of value would they sell a £15k debt for?
    Originally posted by Tron1969
    It certainly sounds as though MBNA now think the account is unenforceable. As for how much the DCA would pay, well how much would you pay for a £15k account that hasn't been paid for 20 years? Me - 15 quid max, and it would be worth the punt.
    There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O.S. Nock
    • Tron1969
    • By Tron1969 7th Jul 17, 3:01 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Tron1969
    Previously in the Thread PRA said the following:-

I have now got the following response from PRA who say they were acting on behalf of MBNA (but this reads as if they now own the debt??)

What should I now do as they are still on my DMP, do I take them off it until they contact me again? what does this actually mean?

You have advised us that you believe the debt is unenforceable, I have requested a copy of your Consumer Credit Agreement (CCA) from the original vendor. We are currently unable to provide your agreement this means that we have classified your debt as currently “unenforceable”, which means that we were unable to take court action against you to recover the outstanding balance.

Despite the debt being unenforceable, we are still legally entitled to:

Contact you and ask you to repay what you owe
    Pass your details onto a third party debt collection agency
    Update your credit reference report (as appropriate)

You should also be aware that the original creditor may be able to provide us with information in future, at which time we will class your debt as enforceable and take appropriate action where necessary (including but not limited to court action to recover the outstanding balance owed to us).

In the meantime your account will remain on hold until we receive a response from the original vendor regarding your CCA
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 7th Jul 17, 3:20 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,837 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Doesn't mean anything.

They are requesting the CCA agreement from the original creditor.

They may be able to supply it, they may not, wait and see.

Up to you if you continue paying or not.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• maia_evo
    • By maia_evo 8th Jul 17, 5:11 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    maia_evo
    I too have an MBNA credit card debt which had been past to PRA Group for collection about a year ago. I must say that PRA Group were very good to deal with and never pushed for payment, giving me time to set arrangements up for repayment. I paid back about £1000 until such time I had no spare cashflow.

That's when I found this site. Thanks to this thread and some others, I sent off a CCA letter to PRA group. Got a very odd reply in the post today.

The letter starts "We thank you for your recent contact and are pleased to confirm that the payment plan of £50.00 commencing on 23/07/2017 has been set up. As discussed, there is currently no automatic payment method on your account" letter then goes on to say about setting up direct debit etc for a "continuous payment authority"

First thing. I sent a CCA standard letter. I have not discussed anything with anyone, nor have I requested a payment plan.

So my question to those more experienced than myself. Are they likely trying it on knowing they won't get the paperwork and £50 a month, based on my previous amounts already paid I'd likely feel grateful for?

Like others I've had card for decades, can't even remember the name of business when I first started using it. I estimate 20 plus years.

Do I write back and state the facts I've laid out above re not discussing anything with anyone and reiterating my CCA request?

If I accepted their offer of £50 per month payment plan, could they then sell it on again and I'd need to start again with another collection company if I can't afford to pay it off in full?

The current balance is £9900 so would take 16.5 years to clear at £50 a month!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

PS: thought best to add into this thread than start another to keep all responses in one place to help future visitors.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 8th Jul 17, 6:13 PM
    • 11,167 Posts
    • 10,837 Thanks
    sourcrates
    I too have an MBNA credit card debt which had been past to PRA Group for collection about a year ago. I must say that PRA Group were very good to deal with and never pushed for payment, giving me time to set arrangements up for repayment. I paid back about £1000 until such time I had no spare cashflow.

That's when I found this site. Thanks to this thread and some others, I sent off a CCA letter to PRA group. Got a very odd reply in the post today.

The letter starts "We thank you for your recent contact and are pleased to confirm that the payment plan of £50.00 commencing on 23/07/2017 has been set up. As discussed, there is currently no automatic payment method on your account" letter then goes on to say about setting up direct debit etc for a "continuous payment authority"

First thing. I sent a CCA standard letter. I have not discussed anything with anyone, nor have I requested a payment plan.

So my question to those more experienced than myself. Are they likely trying it on knowing they won't get the paperwork and £50 a month, based on my previous amounts already paid I'd likely feel grateful for?

Like others I've had card for decades, can't even remember the name of business when I first started using it. I estimate 20 plus years.

Do I write back and state the facts I've laid out above re not discussing anything with anyone and reiterating my CCA request?

If I accepted their offer of £50 per month payment plan, could they then sell it on again and I'd need to start again with another collection company if I can't afford to pay it off in full?

The current balance is £9900 so would take 16.5 years to clear at £50 a month!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.

PS: thought best to add into this thread than start another to keep all responses in one place to help future visitors.
    Originally posted by maia_evo
    It sounds as though they have responded to the wrong letter, and you have received the wrong reply.

Remind them it was a CCA request you sent.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,177Posts Today

4,790Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin