Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • cats2012
    • By cats2012 2nd May 17, 6:03 PM
    • 1,173Posts
    • 1,276Thanks
    cats2012
    MSE Newborn to 1 year Club
    • 2nd May 17, 6:03 PM
    MSE Newborn to 1 year Club 2nd May 17 at 6:03 PM
    Hi everyone!

After saying it for ages I've finally started a new newborn-1 year thread for us all to share parenting ups and downs, as well as of course money-saving tips, especially once the maternity pay dwindles.

If you join the thread please introduce yourself with...

- Baby's name, if you'd like to share, or just gender if you'd prefer
    - Age of baby
    - Whether you have other children too
    - How's it all going?!

To kick us off... I have a little girl called Clara who is 6 weeks old today and she's our first baby. It's going pretty well although she does cry a fair amount - she seems to have an on/off switch, she's either zonked out asleep or super alert, which means she gets bored very easily and therefore grumpy and crying quite often. She just needs a variety of stimulation though to settle, so it's not like nothing works. She's breastfed so only goes up to 3 hours between feeds day and night, but does settle pretty well after.

Looking forward to sharing more stories!
    Officially Mrs B as of March 2013
    TTC since Apr 2015, baby B born March 2017
Page 8
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 28th Sep 17, 9:02 AM
    • 2,736 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    Beckyy
    How does anybody with a baby get spare time anymore? I never seem to get half way down my to do list, let alone finish it now a days!

Thank you for the reply re: carrier Freddie - really, really helpful! Who would have thought this last year would go by so quickly!?
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 29th Sep 17, 6:44 PM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 1,531 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    One year old today!

He's opened a few presents today and we made him a big birthday card with a duck on it. He loves ducks it's one of his recognisable sounds when he sees one- although he makes the same sound for penguins too!

Tomorrow we'll be taking him to a nearby hall/estate that has a mini zoo - he loves it there. Then on Sunday his grandparents are coming around to have cake etc.

I feel really rubbish - caught the bad cold/fever that OH had last week.

But OH has finally been paid - 2 1/2 months since returning to work. So that's a big relief!

Beckky - I'm working part time, but when I am at work were both out of the house by 7am and back only an hour or so before his bedtime.

So on the days I'm at home, I spend the time while he's napping trying to do house jobs - mainly cooking a big batch of something so we have some easy meals ready for the days we're both at work. Then obviously while he's awake it's full on looking after him.

On my Friday off I try to do as many jobs as possible - food shopping, clothes washing etc. So that we can have time at the weekend all together doing fun stuff.

OH is a teacher, so she's got a lot of work during the week, including bringing lots home and has to work on at least one day at the weekend. So we have to try and make the most of what free time we are able to get.

If you mean free time as in time to do stuff without the LO. Ha! No it doesn't exist. It takes at least an hour just to clean up after dinner!
    Mortgage remaining £54,044/£77,000 (2.59% til 04/18)

Savings target 1st May 17 - £28,630.51 / £25,000
    • ThinkPink
    • By ThinkPink 30th Sep 17, 10:15 AM
    • 879 Posts
    • 1,756 Thanks
    ThinkPink
    I feel so behind on housework, like I haven't ironed for months!! When little one naps I either nap myself if we haven't had a good night or I cook dinner or do things like Catching up on making phone calls etc. Luckily oh starts a new job soon that means he has Friday afternoons off. I did look at reducing hid time at nursery that day but it doesn't work out much different money wise so I've decided oh can blitz the house so there's no housework to do at the weekend and cook dinner then he can have an hour or two of me time!!

We actually went out yesterday for the day just the two of us (went to the England cricket odi) and both agreed it's so weird going out now without him!!

He's had his dressing off and catheter removed now, all looking good so far so fingers crossed no further surgery is needed.

Happy 1st birthday Fred. It's crazy how quickly the first year has gone isn't it!!
    • penguingirl
    • By penguingirl 30th Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 1,370 Posts
    • 1,161 Thanks
    penguingirl
    Happy birthday Freddie, hope you have a lovely weekend

I have come to the conclusion that when I go back to work we will need a cleaner. And I don't believe in ironing. Most housework gets done when J is in the sling
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 1st Oct 17, 8:48 AM
    • 2,736 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    Beckyy
    I hope Freddie had a brillliant 1st birthday!

I'm glad everything is looking good ThinkPink!

I'm reassured I'm not alone with the housework/chores. Naps are less frequent for us now, or usually happen when we're out in the car so time at home to get things done is limited. By the time I've done 1 job, 3 more have appeared. Ahh well, there'll be plenty of time to clean once they're at school - it will be here before we know it!

We did a cake smash photo shoot this week, it was such good fun. We all really enjoying it!
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 1st Oct 17, 9:43 PM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 1,531 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    He's funny with naps. He dropped his afternoon nap a long while ago. Despite us trying our best to make sure he had the opportunity to take one if he needed.

So for weeks he had one long nap each day, about 2 hours, near midday.

Then all of a sudden last week he decided to start having one short nap in the morning and one long one in the afternoon. He did that like clockwork for 4 or 5 days then suddenly stopped and switched back to single 2 hour nap again.

With sleep he had done about 2 weeks solid of sleeping through every night. Then starting last Wednesday - he's been going to sleep fine, but then waking up 3 hours later and refusing to settle. The normal sleep stuff we do doesn't help him, he only goes back to sleep if brought into bed with us, then put back when he's drifted off. Once he is back to sleep he then sleeps through the reminder of the night.
    If we do our usual thing of rocking, then putting down and leaving for a couple minutes he just stays awake crying for over an hour.

That's come out of nowhere.

Baby sleep is so weird

• ThinkPink
    • By ThinkPink 2nd Oct 17, 7:59 AM
    • 879 Posts
    • 1,756 Thanks
    ThinkPink
    I tried getting my lo to self settle last night, but he soon started to get upset so I gave in and cuddled and rocked him to sleep. He's actually slept really well the last couple of nights, I'm not sure if it is coincidence but for the last two nights I have warmed his milk up so I'm going to carry on doing that in the hope it is helping. I also think we have a break from teething at the moment as it's usually teething that makes him terrible.

We have two naps here, apart from on the odd occasion when he refuses and just has one!!
    • FreddieFrugal
    • By FreddieFrugal 2nd Oct 17, 12:31 PM
    • 1,471 Posts
    • 1,531 Thanks
    FreddieFrugal
    He slept through again last night so maybe he's over that waking up at 10pm thing already. Fingers crossed!

We'd got used to sleeping again, the last few weeks - silly us!

Hey! Until you just said about warming milk up ThinkPink I'd forgotten that he doesn't need formula anymore. That'll be a saving. Although i can't remember the last time we actually bought a carton of formula as it lasts him ages only having one bottle a day.

Are you giving your son his milk in a bottle?
    Last edited by FreddieFrugal; 02-10-2017 at 12:39 PM.

• ThinkPink
    • By ThinkPink 2nd Oct 17, 1:42 PM
    • 879 Posts
    • 1,756 Thanks
    ThinkPink
    We gave our little boy cow's milk, we had a couple of days of explosive nappies so we are back to formula for now. Once he is fully recovered I will then gradually introduce cow's milk (so start of 25% cows milk the rest formula) and build up. He does have a bottle at the moment, I think it's quite comforting for him. We opened a big carton of formula so I was heating it up to take the chill off but he seems to like it warmer.
    • Beckyy
    • By Beckyy 3rd Oct 17, 7:22 PM
    • 2,736 Posts
    • 4,148 Thanks
    Beckyy
    We usually get one 30/45 minute nap, sometimes two. Sometimes it's longer if we're out in the car or similar. Today was one 20 minute nap at childcare! I'm at peace with the broken nights. If he sleeps, great... if not tomorrow's another night

I've borrowed a friend's Osprey carrier, it's great to try it out! I'm really impressed with it.
    Last edited by Beckyy; 03-10-2017 at 7:25 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,321Posts Today

7,260Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin