Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search

Results: Get rid of the thanks button

Yes

25.38% • 33 votes

No

74.62% • 97 votes

You may not vote on this poll

130 votes in total.

• FIRST POST
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 2nd May 17, 5:55 PM
    • 5,051Posts
    • 10,303Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Get rid of the thanks button
    • 2nd May 17, 5:55 PM
    Get rid of the thanks button 2nd May 17 at 5:55 PM
    Do you think the thanks button should be removed?

Discuss.
    Last edited by iammumtoone; 02-05-2017 at 6:36 PM.
Page 2
    • Potato Fist
    • By Potato Fist 30th May 17, 3:48 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Potato Fist
    It is very out dated. There is much better ways out there but this site is still in 2009
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 2nd Oct 17, 9:03 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 654 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    I can't help noticing that this thread has received more "Thanks" per post than a lot of others. Oh the irony.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 2nd Oct 17, 2:51 PM
    • 7,436 Posts
    • 4,807 Thanks
    Biggles
    yes, and some more imaginative smileys and emojis please the existing ones are old.
    Originally posted by bushbaby1103
    Well, if we have to remove something completely useless, I would vote to remove 'smileys'. They just clutter up posts unnecessarily, make them harder to read and make less sense when they are used inappropriately, which is usually. Learn to type words, people!
    • andrewf75
    • By andrewf75 2nd Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    • 7,590 Posts
    • 12,644 Thanks
    andrewf75
    I think its a good feature. There are many separate boards here and I'm sure it doesn't serve a useful purpose everywhere, but in many places it does. If someone asks for advice and there are several replies, how do you know which is the best advice? The more thanks a post has gives you some clue and when responding many people might not have time to type a reply, but can just click a button to say they agree with something.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 9th Oct 17, 1:47 PM
    • 8,624 Posts
    • 20,861 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi!

The thanks button is the basis of the WOW deals feed subscriptions.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • mjm3346
    • By mjm3346 9th Oct 17, 3:45 PM
    • 34,838 Posts
    • 225,645 Thanks
    mjm3346
    Well, if we have to remove something completely useless, I would vote to remove 'smileys'. They just clutter up posts unnecessarily, make them harder to read and make less sense when they are used inappropriately, which is usually. Learn to type words, people!
    Originally posted by Biggles
    I second that and raise you "avatars"
    • tessie bear
    • By tessie bear 9th Oct 17, 3:56 PM
    • 4,121 Posts
    • 28,399 Thanks
    tessie bear
    i think its awful when one poster says something rude about a persons post and then spineless like it...very unpleasant
    on the brink...
    • spadoosh
    • By spadoosh 9th Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    • 4,371 Posts
    • 5,701 Thanks
    spadoosh

Just messing....

That actually works, my thanks button thanks the OP. That is the thanks button above, not the one i cant see.
    Don't be angry!
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 10th Oct 17, 8:52 AM
    • 7,436 Posts
    • 4,807 Thanks
    Biggles
    I second that and raise you "avatars"
    Originally posted by mjm3346
    I'll 'see' your 'avatars' as I found out long ago that you can turn them off in the settings. Otherwise I would raise you 'signatures' but I've turned them off as well!
    ;-)
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 10th Oct 17, 10:51 AM
    • 8,624 Posts
    • 20,861 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    i think its awful when one poster says something rude about a persons post and then spineless like it...very unpleasant
    Originally posted by tessie bear
    Please make sure you report anything unpleasant or unfriendly. It's not acceptable.

Thank you!

MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    • andromedean
    • By andromedean 10th Oct 17, 3:05 PM
    • 797 Posts
    • 989 Thanks
    andromedean
    I don't see the point of it and I'm not really sure what its use is.

As far as I can make out one of its uses seems to be so 'gangs' can thank each others posts and intimidate others. It's also the cause of upset if god forbid someone forgets to thank a post that the poster thinks they were entitled to thanks for.

Re the similes, in a sensible financial discussion yes they are out of place but there are lots of other boards on here where their use is acceptable.
    Originally posted by iammumtoone
    Exactly, I've seen people insulted in a manner that infringes the rules, then the post thanked multiple times. It' clearly promotes tribalism especially in political discussions. In other contexts, just thanking someone for a specific technical answer I have no problem with. It should therefore be restricted to the mainstream MSE boards.
    • Lingua
    • By Lingua 10th Oct 17, 3:43 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 207 Thanks
    Lingua
    Why not 'thanks', 'agree', 'disagree' buttons so that a debate can provide an indication of support for a particular opinion, while also keeping the 'thanks' function for simply saying 'thank you' for somebody posting a particular fact.

For those who use the 'thanks' button to keep track of competitions or posts read, perhaps a separate button could be created for that use - 'Note'?

Lingua
    Long-Term Goal: £14'000 / £40'000 mortgage downpayment (2020)
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 10th Oct 17, 3:46 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    I don't think I pay that much attention to it, in all honesty.

I don't take much notice of how many "Thanks" a poster has received, so I wouldn't notice if the same person was "thanking" the same poster time and time again.
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 10th Oct 17, 6:37 PM
    • 5,051 Posts
    • 10,303 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Please make sure you report anything unpleasant or unfriendly. It's not acceptable.

Thank you!
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    It going to sound really petty if someone complains that a post gets too many thanks!

But that is what happens, nasty posts are thanked multiple times, as others have pointed out it wouldn't be so bad if there was an 'unthanks/disagree' button or similar so those who felt the thanks were uncalled for could click that.
    Sealed pot challenge ~ 10 #017
    Declutter 2017 items in 2017 - 78/2017

• MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 11th Oct 17, 1:13 PM
    • 8,624 Posts
    • 20,861 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    It going to sound really petty if someone complains that a post gets too many thanks!

But that is what happens, nasty posts are thanked multiple times, as others have pointed out it wouldn't be so bad if there was an 'unthanks/disagree' button or similar so those who felt the thanks were uncalled for could click that.
    Hi!

Unfriendly posts need to be reported so we know and the Forum team can remove it if they agree it breaks our rules.

If you regularly see a particular forum member thanking nasty posts make it clear when you report the post itself that the Forum Team should also look at the accounts that have thanked it.

Join the MSE Forum
    • bunk bed
    • By bunk bed 12th Oct 17, 8:41 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    bunk bed
    The THANKS button is doing about 4 different things:

1) saying thankyou for this helpful/informative post
    2) enabling people to keep track of where they were in a thread
    3) saying "yeah I agree with that"
    4) saying "this post was hilarious"

You could have 4 different buttons to denote each of these (I've seen this on other forums). Maybe don't bother with a thumbs-down button, or you'll get a load more bun-fights breaking out, and more bullying.
    If you don't like my peaches
    DON'T SHAKE MY TREE
    • LadyDee
    • By LadyDee 13th Oct 17, 8:01 AM
    • 2,471 Posts
    • 2,541 Thanks
    LadyDee
    I like the Thanks button.

I often use the Tech Forum and other forums where I'm asking advice and it's nice to be able to thank people who go to the trouble of helping with queries.

It's silly to post a new thread with a quote of somebody's advice to say "Thanks" - threads would be ridiculously long.

I would also suggest adding a "Like" button which, in many cases, would be more appropriate that a "Thanks".
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 13th Oct 17, 10:53 AM
    • 8,624 Posts
    • 20,861 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    All good ideas that we'll consider for a replatform when it happens

Join the MSE Forum
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 16th Oct 17, 6:51 PM
    • 5,051 Posts
    • 10,303 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    Why does this thread keep getting bumped up but when I look at the last post it is from days ago? Very confusing as I keep expecting to see a new post to read.

Is this something MSE towers have the power to do?
    • Witless
    • By Witless 16th Oct 17, 7:48 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 2,055 Thanks
    Witless
    Why does this thread keep getting bumped up but when I look at the last post it is from days ago?
    Dunno - does it happen every time someone votes perhaps?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

281Posts Today

1,851Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin