Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Max and sasha
    • By Max and sasha 1st May 17, 5:38 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 35Thanks
    Max and sasha
    Can I get some advice please
    • 1st May 17, 5:38 PM
    Can I get some advice please 1st May 17 at 5:38 PM
    Hi everyone

I am on a dmp with baines and ernst and I have finally plucked up the courage to dump them, my wife and I are going to do our own dmp saving us £50 per month that baines and ernst were charging us,

1, How do I go about ditching them, is there anything specific we should state in the letter?

2, What should we expect back from them and what reaction do you think we'll get from them?

3, What should we expect from our creditors, there are 7 of them?

Thank you and I look forward to any advice we recieve
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 1st May 17, 9:40 PM
    • 12,190 Posts
    • 11,651 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 1st May 17, 9:40 PM
    • 1st May 17, 9:40 PM
    Hi everyone

I am on a dmp with baines and ernst and I have finally plucked up the courage to dump them, my wife and I are going to do our own dmp saving us £50 per month that baines and ernst were charging us,

1, How do I go about ditching them, is there anything specific we should state in the letter?

2, What should we expect back from them and what reaction do you think we'll get from them?

3, What should we expect from our creditors, there are 7 of them?

Thank you and I look forward to any advice we recieve
    Originally posted by Max and sasha

Hi,

Send them a letter stating you wish to terminate there services as you intend to go self managed.
    Ask them to accept this letter as your notice of termination.

Who cares what reaction you get ? They will try to stop you from leaving, after all, you are a source of revenue for them, ignore all communications that ask you to stay.

Write to your creditors, inform them of your situation, ask them for there payment details, account numbers etc (if you don't have them).

Include your budget, tell them what you will pay them and when, that's it, job done.

Enjoy been £50 a month better off !!!
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there, and delete spam.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • January2015
    • By January2015 2nd May 17, 9:49 AM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 4,732 Thanks
    January2015
    • 2nd May 17, 9:49 AM
    • 2nd May 17, 9:49 AM
    Well done on ditching a paid for DMP, and welcome to the forum. We look forward to getting to know you and supporting you along your journey
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    Xmas 2017 £1 p/day challenge No. 20 - £420/£730
    Make £10 p/day Feb £74.31, Mar £664.37 Apr £40
    • January2015
    • By January2015 2nd May 17, 9:58 AM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 4,732 Thanks
    January2015
    • 2nd May 17, 9:58 AM
    • 2nd May 17, 9:58 AM
    From the Baines and Ernst website.

• Can I cancel a debt management plan?
    Yes. You can cancel the Plan at any time and for any reason by sending us written notice – either by post, fax or email. Click here to find our contact details.

With regards to what you will get back from them - probably not a lot. Don't assume they will send you details of creditor sort codes and account numbers and references to make payments to. You will probably have to do some leg work youself and find this information out. You can expect to receive a statement from them showing your creditors, balances and and what you have paid towards debts and towards {gulp} fees for Baines and Ernst.

Don't panic about finding the information for making payments. Just contact each creditor (NEDCAB is good for setting up a self managed DMP) and adapt the letter generated to advise you will require them to provide you with details to allow you to make regular monthly payments by standing order, e.g. sort code, account number and reference number (ref number is usually the card number/bank account number - but ask for it to be confirmed that this is what they want to see as the ref number when payment is made).

Even if you think you have the payment information - ask for it again to confirm it is still correct.
    DFW Nerd No. 1484 LBM 07/01/15 Debt was £95k I'm driving it down
    £1k emergency fund (member #84) £1k/£1k
    Xmas 2017 £1 p/day challenge No. 20 - £420/£730
    Make £10 p/day Feb £74.31, Mar £664.37 Apr £40
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 2nd May 17, 10:48 AM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 970 Thanks
    StopIt
    • 2nd May 17, 10:48 AM
    • 2nd May 17, 10:48 AM
    Remember if a self managed DMP is too much there are free DMP providers too like Step Change etc who can help too.

However as long as you write to each creditor explaining the change and asking for their payment details they'll generally comply and you can get on fine.

I honestly feel for you as paid for DMP providers don't exactly tell you that there are free alternatives! It's literally paying to be in debt trouble, which is somewhat ironic as the money they charge could be going towards solving the problem, rather than lining the pockets of companies with less than perfect morals.
    • Max and sasha
    • By Max and sasha 2nd May 17, 5:34 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Max and sasha
    • 2nd May 17, 5:34 PM
    • 2nd May 17, 5:34 PM
    Hi everyone and thanks for welcoming us !!

I would like to thank everyone who has taken there time to reply to us. My wife and I are going to do the dmp ourselves but are both excited and nervous about what lies ahead on our journey to becoming debt free. We think we are ready for the battle ahead with the support of this great forum.

A little background to our situation, it may help with the advice we recieve. We have been on this dmp for 12 years and our debt has more than halved from nearly £60k to about £23k but B and E say it will be another 10 years. We have 7 creditors left ranging from £13k to £350.

I am going to send off CCA,s to see who has got them, if not do i stop paying them in the mean time while they retrieve them for us or do I continue to pay them.

Thanks so much for your help

Max and sasha
    • Max and sasha
    • By Max and sasha 4th May 17, 11:49 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Max and sasha
    • 4th May 17, 11:49 AM
    • 4th May 17, 11:49 AM
    Hi everyone that's the letter sent off to Baines and Ernst registered post, so they should get it tomorrow,

Next step i will send off CCA request when is best to do this,? Will I wait for the debt collection people to contact me once B+E tell them I am no longer going through them

Thanks for reading

Max
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 4th May 17, 12:20 PM
    • 12,190 Posts
    • 11,651 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 4th May 17, 12:20 PM
    • 4th May 17, 12:20 PM
    Hi everyone that's the letter sent off to Baines and Ernst registered post, so they should get it tomorrow,

Next step i will send off CCA request when is best to do this,? Will I wait for the debt collection people to contact me once B+E tell them I am no longer going through them

Thanks for reading

Max
    You can make a sec 77-79 request at any time, as long as a balance remains on the account.

It is your right under the consumer credit act 1978.
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there, and delete spam.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

• Max and sasha
    • By Max and sasha 15th May 17, 1:25 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Max and sasha
    • 15th May 17, 1:25 PM
    • 15th May 17, 1:25 PM
    Hi everyone

I am about to send off CCA requests today here's hoping they don't have them, but not holding out much hope as I ain't that lucky.

I have a question should I write to my creditors and tell them I am doing my own dmp or wait till they find out from B + E, and also do i stop paying them until they produce a CCA .?

From what I have read on these great forums do i need to sent them an up to date income and expenditure, or will they request bank statements or wage slips but I am not to keen on sending DCA this stuff,

Just to let you know we have not heard a thing from B + E as of yet

Thanks for reading and any advice we recieve

Max and sasha
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 15th May 17, 1:54 PM
    • 12,190 Posts
    • 11,651 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi everyone

I am about to send off CCA requests today here's hoping they don't have them, but not holding out much hope as I ain't that lucky.

I have a question should I write to my creditors and tell them I am doing my own dmp or wait till they find out from B + E, and also do i stop paying them until they produce a CCA .?

From what I have read on these great forums do i need to sent them an up to date income and expenditure, or will they request bank statements or wage slips but I am not to keen on sending DCA this stuff,

Just to let you know we have not heard a thing from B + E as of yet

Thanks for reading and any advice we recieve

Max and sasha
    I wouldn't rely on Baines and Ernst to be helpful here, they are now out of the picture and its up to you to control things from now on, cancel your payment to them, and stop paying all your other unsecured creditors, for the time being.

Use the time to save up an emergency fund, give it a month or two, then write and inform your creditors of your intentions, you can enclose your own budget sheet, i suggest you start working out a feasible budget to show them, thats all they are entitled to see, i would draw the line at payslips and bank statements, they are not entitled to see those.

It may take several months before you get replies to your CCA requests, so be patient.

Work out what you can pay, and when, then tell them what there going to get, also request payment details from them (most DCA`s have these details on there respective websites anyway).

Thats it, good luck, any further help, just shout.

• Daydreambeliever
    • By Daydreambeliever 15th May 17, 2:08 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    Daydreambeliever
    Hello Max and Sasha, well done on your decision to leave B&E. As Sourcrates has advised, it is best you contact the creditors letting them know and request their bank details for payments (best do payments via standing order so that you have more control). I really would recommend using the NEDCAB site for self managing. I used their template letter to notify my creditors that I would be self managing and just tweaked it where necessary, I asked them to confirm bank details and I also added that I would only deal with them in writing. I completed the Income and Expenditure form on the NEDCAB website and attached this to the letter. Don't send anything else, this is all that is necessary and feel free to ignore any of their requests for bank statements, etc. Good luck, don't worry, please do shout out for help as everyone is always willing to help and advise here. Take care DB
    • tealady
    • By tealady 15th May 17, 7:33 PM
    • 2,711 Posts
    • 3,194 Thanks
    tealady
    Hi Max and Sasha
    Welcome to one of the friendliest and most helpful forum.
    If you are feeling brave you could post your statement of affairs (SOA) so that the great peeps such as Sourcrates (and too many others to mention) can help you clear those debts by suggesting savings and cutbacks that you maynot be aware of.
    Good luck whatever you do, and if you want an inspiring tale read the opening post in Eleven years a slave.
    Last edited by tealady; 16-05-2017 at 5:28 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Proud to be an MSE nerd
    Judge people by their achievements, not by their mistakes
    • Max and sasha
    • By Max and sasha 18th May 17, 8:45 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Max and sasha
    Hi everyone

Just a question or 2 ,

I am just going through old paper work from B + E getting ready for the battle ahead with the creditors and also any letters I got from creditors, I totally forgot I cca,d in 2014 all 7 of my creditors I am embarrassed to say only 2 out of the 7 got back to me, 1 saying they didn't have it ( cl finance) who have since sold it to robinson way and 1 who did but I am not sure if it's a made up copy but it has both my and my wife's signature on it, If I am honest I didn't really know what I was doing and I never acted on them , sitting here 3 years later still paying them I feel such a fool, but this time I am so determined to sort this.

Sorry for rambling on but I am raging at myself, so I have a question 1 of my debts is still with the original lender capital one is it worth cca ing them, this account goes back too 2005

Thanks

Max����
    • Max and sasha
    • By Max and sasha 22nd May 17, 8:27 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Max and sasha
    Hi everyone

Just a wee update, all creditors have been CCA,d got 2 reply all ready 1 saying they are dealing with our request and the 2nd saying they are looking into our query and in the meantime they won't ask for payment from us, is this a good sign or just standard? It's for my biggest debt

Thanks for any reply so

Max
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 22nd May 17, 8:37 PM
    • 12,190 Posts
    • 11,651 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi everyone

Just a wee update, all creditors have been CCA,d got 2 reply all ready 1 saying they are dealing with our request and the 2nd saying they are looking into our query and in the meantime they won't ask for payment from us, is this a good sign or just standard? It's for my biggest debt

Thanks for any reply so

Max
    Standard par for the course!!

• Max and sasha
    • By Max and sasha 22nd May 17, 8:48 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Max and sasha
    Hi sourcrates

Thanks for replying, I had my hopes up to early then? What are the chances of them actually having the correct paper work, this debt has been sold on several times, I think this is the 3rd different collector and this account dates back to roughly 2003/4 if my memory serves me right

Max
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 22nd May 17, 9:35 PM
    • 12,190 Posts
    • 11,651 Thanks
    sourcrates
    Hi sourcrates

Thanks for replying, I had my hopes up to early then? What are the chances of them actually having the correct paper work, this debt has been sold on several times, I think this is the 3rd different collector and this account dates back to roughly 2003/4 if my memory serves me right

Max
    It's anyone's guess, it's a case of sitting and waiting to see what they can provide.

• National Debtline
    Hi Max and Sasha

Good news that you’ve left the fee charging DMP, it will really help you become debt free quicker! Just a word on the CCA request, the DCA (or original creditor if they still own the debt) is obliged to respond with 12 working days. They must provide a true copy of the agreement. That doesn’t need to be the original or have your signature on it, but it must show the original terms and conditions and your personal details.

If the agreement was taken out before 6 April 2007, and the DCA fails to provide a true copy, it becomes irredeemably unenforceable. That means you will still owe the debt and can be pursued by the DCA but they should not be able to obtain a CCJ. This may give you some leverage to negotiate a write off or full & final settlement.

For debts taken out on or after 6 April 2007 if they fail to provide a true copy of the agreement it only becomes enforceable on an order from the court. That means it’s the same rules as above but a CCJ can be granted if the court agrees to it. Good luck!

Susie
    @natdebtline

We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
    • Max and sasha
    • By Max and sasha 23rd May 17, 8:20 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Max and sasha
    Hi ,

All my debt are from at least 2005 as that's when I started with B + E, I have paid them a fortune over the last 12 years but that's in the past only looking to the future now

Max
    • Max and sasha
    • By Max and sasha 24th May 17, 11:39 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Max and sasha
    Hi guys

I got a response from my second account that I have with robinson way but all they have done is send back a letter with my postal order and all the letter says is " please see £1.00 CCA fee" and nothing else, I am confused as what this means . The postal order was filled out the same way as all the rest of them, anyone any ideas. What do I do now ? Should I phone them ?

Max
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

625Posts Today

5,987Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin