Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 1st May 17, 5:36 PM
    • 578Posts
    • 301Thanks
    RG2015
    Nationwide Regular Saver Eligibility
    • 1st May 17, 5:36 PM
    Nationwide Regular Saver Eligibility 1st May 17 at 5:36 PM
    I have a question on Nationwide eligibility and cannot find an answer on their website.

I have two Nationwide Flexdirect current accounts, one in my name and one joint account with my wife.

I have a 5% regular saver account and wanted to confirm that my wife can also open one through the joint account eligibility or does she need to open a sole account in her name first?
Page 2
    • youngretired
    • By youngretired 3rd May 17, 10:56 AM
    • 118 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    youngretired
    Yes. My brother-in-law had to do this in March as he did not hold a sole Nationwide account only a joint.

I enquired via secure message in December because my husband had a maturing regular saver but no longer held a sole Nationwide account only joints, so I asked how he would go about opening another one after reading a forum on here and this is what they said to do.

Fortunate for my husband he managed to open the new regular saver and fund the initial payment from the matured regular saver before it closed.
    • SallySunshine
    • By SallySunshine 3rd May 17, 11:06 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    SallySunshine
    Thanks for that, young retired,
    they certainly make you jump through hoops.
    Never known anything so convoluted for a customer to open a simple account
    • MPN
    • By MPN 3rd May 17, 11:21 AM
    • 238 Posts
    • 80 Thanks
    MPN
    My wife and I both have FlexDirect sole accounts and we each have Regular Savers with our sole accounts.

However, we have also just opened a joint account so the question is, can we open a regular saver from this account in our joint names even though we both already have regular savers with a sole accounts?
    • isasmurf
    • By isasmurf 3rd May 17, 11:39 AM
    • 1,718 Posts
    • 738 Thanks
    isasmurf
    My wife and I both have FlexDirect sole accounts and we each have Regular Savers with our sole accounts.

However, we have also just opened a joint account so the question is, can we open a regular saver from this account in our joint names even though we both already have regular savers with a sole accounts?
    Originally posted by MPN
    The answer is in the terms and conditions
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 3rd May 17, 1:09 PM
    • 578 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    RG2015
    This is getting surreal, are you saying that when I open an account for myself on-line I have to say I am not registered for on-line banking with them, when I am?
    Originally posted by SallySunshine
    Hi Sally,

I have just had a secure message from Nationwide confirming that to open a sole regular saver if you only have a joint account is to say that you are not registered for online banking. They also told me not to worry as the new account would appear in my wife's online banking as a sole regular saver.
    • badger09
    • By badger09 3rd May 17, 6:09 PM
    • 5,562 Posts
    • 4,867 Thanks
    badger09
    So nothing has changed since 2012
    • RG2015
    • By RG2015 19th May 17, 11:42 AM
    • 578 Posts
    • 301 Thanks
    RG2015
    RG2015, I'll be interested to know how you get on.
    sometimes you can get differing answers from different lines of enquiry.
    I won't be able to sort out anyway until June at the earliest.
    Originally posted by SallySunshine
    Hi Sally,

My wife has now opened a new regular saver in her name qualifying through our joint account.

The critical issue is ticking the sole account box and not the joint account box. At the time she opened the account she did not have internet banking so answered no to that question. She now has internet banking so in a years time it may be an issue if she wants to open a new regular saver.
    • SallySunshine
    • By SallySunshine 19th May 17, 3:42 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    SallySunshine
    Thanks RG, I'm still reeling from faffing about for an hour this morning with transferring ISA's
    I will bookmark this thread until I fulfil the criteria in early June, might have forgotten this a.m.'s trauma by then!
    • SallySunshine
    • By SallySunshine 26th May 17, 4:02 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    SallySunshine
    Think I'm getting there!
    The only problem being that I can't set up a regular transfer from my Loyalty Savings account to a Flexiclusive Saver. Just had that confirmed.
    This would have to be done manually, e.g. transfer money monthly from Loyalty to Flexaccount to then fund saver account.
    doable but not the quickest way.
    • Kim_13
    • By Kim_13 26th May 17, 6:21 PM
    • 1,434 Posts
    • 1,740 Thanks
    Kim_13
    Hi Sally,

My wife has now opened a new regular saver in her name qualifying through our joint account.

The critical issue is ticking the sole account box and not the joint account box. At the time she opened the account she did not have internet banking so answered no to that question. She now has internet banking so in a years time it may be an issue if she wants to open a new regular saver.
    Originally posted by RG2015
    Just don't login when opening a new account. It takes perhaps an extra day for the account to be visible while they link the new Regular Saver to your other accounts, but it allows you to overcome any issues in applying from within online banking (in my case my old Regular Saver had matured and converted but online banking told me I already had a Regular Saver and wouldn't allow an application to proceed.)

Applying from outside of internet banking also allows you to receive a card for the account without having to go to branch to open the account.
    Sealed Pot 11 #520 ~ /£100
    VSP 2017 #9 ~ £108.83/£250.00
    CCCC 2017 #1 ~ £220.95/£120.00

I'm a Board Guide on the Savings and Investments , Budgeting and Bank Accounts , Credit Cards and Marriage, Relationships and Families boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this.) Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • elephantrosie
    • By elephantrosie 26th May 17, 7:00 PM
    • 379 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    elephantrosie
    how many nationwide Regular saver account am i allowed?
    Another night of thankfulness.
    • ceredigion
    • By ceredigion 26th May 17, 10:04 PM
    • 2,409 Posts
    • 3,012 Thanks
    ceredigion
    how many nationwide Regular saver account am i allowed?
    Originally posted by elephantrosie

• SallySunshine
    • By SallySunshine 8th Jun 17, 11:48 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    SallySunshine
    Update on opening 2 flexiclusive accounts.
    Seem to be getting there I think, but just a question.

My flexiclusive saver is opened now and first monthly payment is showing up on joint account for which I have internet banking.
    My O.H. has received his letter today with his pin and card to be delivered shortly.
    Still no account number for him yet so can't register for internet banking.
    His first deposit has been taken from our joint account.

I had started to register him but it does ask how you would like to register, from savings account or current account?
    Not sure which to choose, although until his account number is sent surely this can't be done if I choose savings, if i choose current account this is a joint one.

As we have a joint account he already has a pin and card for that although it has never been used.

Daren't ring up Nationwide again to ask, they'll be fed up with me!
    Last time I rang , even the agent said they were changing things to make things easier to open these.
    • SallySunshine
    • By SallySunshine 9th Jun 17, 12:02 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 224 Thanks
    SallySunshine
    Sorted at last (sort of!)
    After on-line chat, was told it didn't matter which account my O.H. registered on-line banking through as all accounts would be linked anyway.
    So registered under joint flexaccount account number
    Joint loyalty account showing and new flexiclusive savings showing but not joint flex account?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,345Posts Today

7,932Users online

Martin's Twitter