Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misterstingy
    • By misterstingy 1st May 17, 4:42 PM
    • 37Posts
    • 2Thanks
    misterstingy
    Freeholder's sublet fee
    • 1st May 17, 4:42 PM
    Freeholder's sublet fee 1st May 17 at 4:42 PM
    I own a leasehold flat which I rent out on Assured Shorthold Tenancies. The company that manages the freeholder's interest has written to me stating that I have to pay a fee every time I find a new tenant.

I have owned and rented out the flat for 9 years and they want to go back to the beginning with retrospective fees.

The only thing I can find in the lease which might allow them to charge a fee reads 'within one month after the date of every assignment death grant of probate or administrative assent transfer mortgage charge sub-lease or other event or document relating to the term hereby granted ...'

(yes it really reads like that, i.e. no commas)

(It goes on to say that I have to give notice to the Landlord, produce a copy of the document to their solicitor and pay a 'reasonable fee').

My question is, what do the words 'relating to the term hereby granted' mean. Obviously my 6 month assured shorthold tenancies don't relate to the whole of the 125 year term of the lease, so does that mean I don't have to comply with this requirement?
Page 2
    • scriv
    • By scriv 2nd May 17, 1:33 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    scriv
    Fee is £130 to register a new tenancy with a retrospective consent surcharge of £45.

The lease doesn't say I need their consent, just that I need to provide them with a copy of the lease and pay a fee.
    Originally posted by misterstingy
    And that is what you have to argue re the consent fee. Quote your lease very clearly to them and tell them that your lease does not require you to obtain their consent.
    • Nancy Lee
    • By Nancy Lee 13th Jun 17, 8:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Nancy Lee
    Fee Reduced from £120 to £40 but..........
    I was sent a letter by e&m management asking for
    £130 To register a new tenancy
    £65 To renew an existing tenancy
    £45 Retrospective consent charge
    I wrote to them quoting the cases that went to the tribunal and they replied basically saying the tribunals decision wasn't legally binding, however as a good will gesture they will accept £40 to register the tenancy. However they will not issue a consent certificate for the reduced fee.
    I have 14 days for them to receive their requirements.
    My questions to this forum are;
    Do I need a consent certificate?
    Do I have to pay to renew an existing tenant? If so how can it be £65 when the registration fee is no £40?
    Do I have to pay a retrospective consent charge, and if so how can it be £45?
    Can they charge registration fees for tenancies before they owned the freehold?
    I have tried to phone e&m but they do not answer their phone.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 13th Jun 17, 8:57 AM
    • 4,606 Posts
    • 4,258 Thanks
    eddddy
    Do I have to pay to renew an existing tenant? If so how can it be £65 when the registration fee is no £40?
    Originally posted by Nancy Lee
    It depends on what your lease says and/or what is 'reasonable'.

The freeholder and leaseholder must each do what the lease says they must do.

So if the lease says the leaseholder must renew consent every time there is a new tenant/tenancy agreement, then that's what you have to do.

And any fee charged by the freeholder must be 'reasonable'. Based on the Tribunal case, I imagine that a £40 fee for renewal would be reasonable.
    • sl888
    • By sl888 14th Jun 17, 2:18 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    sl888
    I was sent a letter by e&m management asking for
    £130 To register a new tenancy
    £65 To renew an existing tenancy
    £45 Retrospective consent charge
    I wrote to them quoting the cases that went to the tribunal and they replied basically saying the tribunals decision wasn't legally binding, however as a good will gesture they will accept £40 to register the tenancy. However they will not issue a consent certificate for the reduced fee.
    I have 14 days for them to receive their requirements.
    Originally posted by Nancy Lee
    Hi Nancy, did you have further info from E&M as I received the same letter and not sure if I should pay, they want to charge 390 for current and 2 previous tenants. Also, any luck in finding out if a consent certificate is needed as I couldn't find any further details online, thanks.
    • Wanderingpomm
    • By Wanderingpomm 14th Jun 17, 2:30 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Wanderingpomm
    They are taking the !!!!. Tell them you won't pay it and then jointly get a solicitor with all the landlords they are trying to get money from. You have case precedent.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,824Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @themiltonjones: Bother. Chucked out of Question Time.

• Hmm I meant getting radical in my last tweet - having googled 'getting rad', I may not be in touch with t'lingo... https://t.co/t538UveBuz

• Dimbleby becomes the Dimblebomb and kicks someone out. Question time getting rad #bbqt

• Follow Martin