Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 30th Apr 17, 3:17 PM
    • 3,242Posts
    • 27,179Thanks
    shala_moo
    Be a Stunner for Summer - Slimming World support thread 2017
    • 30th Apr 17, 3:17 PM
    Be a Stunner for Summer - Slimming World support thread 2017 30th Apr 17 at 3:17 PM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert

Huge thanks to shala_moo for starting this challenge and keeping everyone motivated along with her in her goal to lose weight for summer. She's used the content from previous challenges, which explains what Slimming World's about, how it might help you etc. As some of the info in this first post may be from Slimming World itself it may sound a bit "adverty".

Back to shala_moo's support thread..

-----------

Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-06-2017 at 9:41 AM.
    Mortgage = £166,050£118,172.76
    Mortgage Offset % = 32.56%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Mar 2026
Page 70
    • candyapple
    • By candyapple 12th Jun 17, 12:30 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 4,108 Thanks
    candyapple
    Hi everyone

Well yesterday's meals didn't quite go to plan. Tea ended up being bacon with SW wedges and 2 satsumas. I felt so ill in the evening, putting it down to my body going into shock at all the healthy stuff it was being forced to eat and no naughty snacks! I didn't have tea or coffee either yesterday so that could well have been why Feeling better today though thankfully.

Those who use actimist, is that the one that you spray on closed eyelids? I suffer awful with hayfever and take tablets but every now and then I get the sniffles and streamy eyes its sooo attractive and my eyes are super sensitive so I just can't use regular eye drops at all I think they'd make the symptoms worse!

gts - not TMI at all I can't wait to feel sexy it's been a while since I looked in the mirror and thought that

I've decided I'm going to try gluten free to see if it makes a difference to how I look / feel. I'm just sick of feeling so bloated all the time so I'm trying to cut out different things to see if any of it makes a difference. There's a girl I follow on instagram who eats gluten free amongst other things and her food just looks amazing. I'll probably need to research it a bit as I'm not sure which foods have gluten in and which don't but Tesco are bringing me gluten free oats & bread tonight (not exactly moneysaving though as they are a bit more pricey) but it's a start!

Today's food:

B - overnight oats HEXB with muller after eight flavour yoghurt and a satsuma, cup of tea with S/S milk, latte made with coconut milk both HEXA

L - lentil and veg soup

T - gammon grill with some form of potato and veggies

Pom bears are coming in my Mr T's delivery tonight so no doubt I'll be having a packet or 2 of those for today's syns

• WJN222
    • By WJN222 12th Jun 17, 1:53 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 1,528 Thanks
    WJN222
    afternoon all,

Weekend was pretty SW, today however - not so much! I will draw a line under lunch and move forward (to the gym after work!!)

I think part of the problem at the minute is A) I am getting sick of eating the same things all the time - need to try mixing it up! and B) I don't see the same changes in my body that i was doing over the first few months and that is leaving me a little downhearted - if that makes sense!

onwards and downwards!
    walk 2017 miles in 2017 - 415 of 2017
    SW journey - loose 28lbs - 14lb of 28
    Clear the stash July OUT : IN = 17:2
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 12th Jun 17, 2:06 PM
    • 4,741 Posts
    • 35,167 Thanks
    joedenise
    Candyapple - oats are gluten free anyway. Just buy regular oats, not worth paying extra for unless you have been diagnosed as needing to use gluten free foods. Worth doing a google to get a list of suitable foods.

Most people who eat gluten free bread say it's like cardboard! No idea my self as never tried it.

gts it's amazing that you feel sexy now you've lost some weight and well done on avoiding the buffet! It can be difficult to do that.

Today's plan:

B - fry up
    L - HM salmon & prawn fishcakes (from freezer); salad
    D - lamb tagine, couscous. 4 syns; rhubarb from garden 0.5 syns; quark
    S - toast; butter 1 syn

HEA - milk
    HEB - 10g almonds (in tagine) 0.5; bread 0.5
    Syns - semi-dried apricots; sultanas; rhubarb

Denise
    • candyapple
    • By candyapple 12th Jun 17, 4:44 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 4,108 Thanks
    candyapple
    Candyapple - oats are gluten free anyway. Just buy regular oats, not worth paying extra for unless you have been diagnosed as needing to use gluten free foods. Worth doing a google to get a list of suitable foods.

Most people who eat gluten free bread say it's like cardboard! No idea my self as never tried it.

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    Oh thanks I had no idea about the oats! I've found a site after a quick google and found lots of food that you can have while eating GF including a fair few foods I didn't know were ok to have. The bread is more for OH than me I'm secretly hoping he doesn't like it as it's stupidly expensive. I always feel better when I don't eat bread so will keep that going if I can

• bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Jun 17, 4:45 PM
    • 48,996 Posts
    • 599,142 Thanks
    bubbs
    Afternoon all
    QUOTE=maman;72684503]That's the one bubbs . For just 1 tsp of cornflour between 4 portions any syns are negligible and it's so yummy! 😃[/QUOTE]

Thankyou
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :-4 stone 7lb week 38
    • maman
    • By maman 12th Jun 17, 5:12 PM
    • 17,161 Posts
    • 102,606 Thanks
    maman
    Well I think it's fair to say I blew everyone away with my weight loss last night - people even asked if I was 'ok' - and managed to avoid the buffet as well!
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    that's a real NSV. I'm so pleased that family and friends were complimentary.

I found that when I lost weight some people asked tentatively if it was deliberate in case I was unwell. I told most people it was because of healthy eating and then only explained SW if they showed a lot of interest.

I've successfully got through all of the fresh food in the fridge. I've got a few carrots to chop up and freeze later and they can go into a soup or casserole at some point.

Tomorrow we'll have a SW breakfast (baked beans or cereal) and then I'll be off plan for my holiday. I won't eat rubbish for the sake of it only things that are worth the syns and I know I'll have lots of salads but I'll probably have too much bread and full fat tonic (Turkish wine is pretty dire IMO). Back on July 4th and then I'll be 100% back on it as soon as I can get a shop done.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB porage with HEA milk
    L: cold chicken, beetroot, fried LO veg (just one potato all the rest Speed)
    D: SW spaghetti Bolognese
    Syns: squirt of syrup, maybe Parmesan
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Jun 17, 5:32 PM
    • 48,996 Posts
    • 599,142 Thanks
    bubbs
    Evening everyone !

Well I think it's fair to say I blew everyone away with my weight loss last night - people even asked if I was 'ok' - and managed to avoid the buffet as well!

The weird think is I saw a picture of me from last night and even though I've lost 3 stone I still thought I looked huge...I don't feel huge (in fact I feel, for a long time a little sexy (sorry if that's tmi))

Ive been good today ....lamb cooked dinner, been kayaking and came home to a glass of wine with a bag of satsumas ....oh how I've changed lol
    Originally posted by gettingtheresometime
    glad they noticed, no one commented to be week before last wont say what my sister said as she said you can clearly tell and hadnt seen some of these since xmas
    that's a real NSV. I'm so pleased that family and friends were complimentary.

I found that when I lost weight some people asked tentatively if it was deliberate in case I was unwell. I told most people it was because of healthy eating and then only explained SW if they showed a lot of interest.

I've successfully got through all of the fresh food in the fridge. I've got a few carrots to chop up and freeze later and they can go into a soup or casserole at some point.

Tomorrow we'll have a SW breakfast (baked beans or cereal) and then I'll be off plan for my holiday. I won't eat rubbish for the sake of it only things that are worth the syns and I know I'll have lots of salads but I'll probably have too much bread and full fat tonic (Turkish wine is pretty dire IMO). Back on July 4th and then I'll be 100% back on it as soon as I can get a shop done.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB porage with HEA milk
    L: cold chicken, beetroot, fried LO veg (just one potato all the rest Speed)
    D: SW spaghetti Bolognese
    Syns: squirt of syrup, maybe Parmesan
    Originally posted by maman
    Have a lovely holiday, SW will still be here when you get back
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 12th Jun 17, 6:38 PM
    • 4,741 Posts
    • 35,167 Thanks
    joedenise
    Enjoy your holiday Maman.

Denise
    • esmy
    • By esmy 12th Jun 17, 7:05 PM
    • 875 Posts
    • 2,903 Thanks
    esmy
    Have a great timeMaman
    • chocolateteddy
    • By chocolateteddy 12th Jun 17, 7:36 PM
    • 503 Posts
    • 3,197 Thanks
    chocolateteddy
    Last week 1/2 off I thought I had been on here but obviously not.
    Thanks to MSE savings we got to go to Disneyworld Florida.

Slimming World Target - Lose 60 lbs
    Journey started 14th Nov 2016
    Weight loss to date 27 lbs
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jun 17, 7:53 PM
    • 49,064 Posts
    • 182,211 Thanks
    beanielou
    Happy holidays Maman
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 12th Jun 17, 9:13 PM
    • 3,242 Posts
    • 27,179 Thanks
    shala_moo
    Thanks shala moo for the chart , when does this challenge go up to again please?
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Sorry bubbs, i only popped on quickly in the week and forgot to answer.. it goes up to 2nd July.

I've come out the challenge again *rolls eyes* i'm such a drama llama!! Had a massive meltdown at work the other day, there were tears, stompy feet, got called in by the boss and everything anyway told my consultant i'm ditching SW for a bit because there's only so much brain power to go round and it's being used up in the day.. needless to say I've put 3 lbs on this week end!!

Having a break.
    Take care all.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Take care Beanie... you know you're more than welcome to keep posting even if it's not strictly SW!

Have a great holiday maman xx

Off to do the chart
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 12th Jun 17, 9:31 PM
    • 3,242 Posts
    • 27,179 Thanks
    shala_moo
    SOTW* is.... SAVER-UPPER with a loss of 3.0lbs!!

Congratulations!

*SOTW is the person who has lost the most weight this week, but also had a loss or sts last week.

• tweets
    • By tweets 12th Jun 17, 9:59 PM
    • 28,135 Posts
    • 414,443 Thanks
    tweets
    (((X))) shala

Enjoy your holiday Maman

Well done saver-upper on SOTW
    Lost 3st-3lb
    • AlwaysHappy
    • By AlwaysHappy 12th Jun 17, 10:01 PM
    • 1,484 Posts
    • 11,714 Thanks
    AlwaysHappy
    Thanks Shala_moo for the chart and well done saver upper on sotw!! Everyone seems to be doing really well.Its fab when you see how much we've all lost so far, and still a few weeks of the challenge left. Hope you all have a great week.
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 12th Jun 17, 10:07 PM
    • 49,064 Posts
    • 182,211 Thanks
    beanielou
    Big hugs Shala xx
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 12th Jun 17, 10:20 PM
    • 48,996 Posts
    • 599,142 Thanks
    bubbs
    Sorry bubbs, i only popped on quickly in the week and forgot to answer.. it goes up to 2nd July.

I've come out the challenge again *rolls eyes* i'm such a drama llama!! Had a massive meltdown at work the other day, there were tears, stompy feet, got called in by the boss and everything anyway told my consultant i'm ditching SW for a bit because there's only so much brain power to go round and it's being used up in the day.. needless to say I've put 3 lbs on this week end!!

Take care Beanie... you know you're more than welcome to keep posting even if it's not strictly SW!

Have a great holiday maman xx

Off to do the chart
    Originally posted by shala_moo
    Thankyou, hopefully i will do it then, hope you are feeling better now?
    Thankyou for doing the chart

Well done savver upper for SOTW
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 12th Jun 17, 10:34 PM
    • 2,015 Posts
    • 14,542 Thanks
    greentiger
    So happy for you, sexy gts.

Have a great holiday, maman. Where are you off to?

Well done, chocolateteddy.

I’m sending a big hug, shala. It’s not much, but I hope it gives you a wee bit of moral support.

SOTW Saver-upper – Super!
    Stashbusting 177/200
    17 in 17 Challenge 17/17
    Reading Challenge 23/40
    Film Challenge 36/52
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 12th Jun 17, 11:03 PM
    • 3,133 Posts
    • 7,318 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Oh I'm blushing now lol!

Have a good holiday Manam, well done saver-upper and thanks Shala!

Well despite being good on Saturday I think I undid it yesterday....my weekly shared bottle of wine with hubby turned into two & I knew it this morning! Had a really attack of the munchies & forgot my lunch as well!

Managed to stave off the munchies (though I would have killed for a bacon roll) and went for a mugshot for lunch.

Dinner was Mary Berrys spicy lamb casserole and snacked on satsumas (what else??).

Not sure what tomorrow's menu is ...will have to try & claw back today, especially as I'll probably be weighing a day early this week.
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 12th Jun 17, 11:59 PM
    • 1,666 Posts
    • 12,649 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    Oooohh, thank you for the chart,shala moo.And for SOTW too .
    I am sorry work has been getting you down-I hope you are feeling a bit better now.
    Had weigh-in tonight.Have lost 1.5 lb Very pleased with that.

Today's menu:
    Breakfast: pear,nectarine,peach

No lunch

Tea: vegetable tagine (didn't have red peppers),but had onion,butternut squash,tinned tomstoes.Served with rice and naan bread (? syns .Website says the bread I used is 13 syns per 100g.I weighed 64g of bread,but weighed it after it had been cooked,so guessing that loses some weight.)

Dessert: strawberries dipped in leftover "cheesecake dip" ( no digestives,though,about 3 syns)

HEB:2 hifi bars

HEA: milk in cups of tea

Only about 1L of water/squash,but I am always a bit careful how much I eat/drink on weigh-day,because don't weigh until nearly 6pm.

Brisk walk 15 minutes.
    Roadkill Rebel #14,2016:£35.50 £12,000in2016 #82=£3163
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £298,Valued Opinions £10.50

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,740Posts Today

6,110Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin