Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 30th Apr 17, 3:17 PM
    • 3,242Posts
    • 27,179Thanks
    shala_moo
    Be a Stunner for Summer - Slimming World support thread 2017
    • 30th Apr 17, 3:17 PM
    Be a Stunner for Summer - Slimming World support thread 2017 30th Apr 17 at 3:17 PM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert

Huge thanks to shala_moo for starting this challenge and keeping everyone motivated along with her in her goal to lose weight for summer. She's used the content from previous challenges, which explains what Slimming World's about, how it might help you etc. As some of the info in this first post may be from Slimming World itself it may sound a bit "adverty".

Back to shala_moo's support thread..

-----------

Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-06-2017 at 9:41 AM.
    Mortgage = £166,050£118,172.76
    Mortgage Offset % = 32.56%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Mar 2026
Page 67
    • esmy
    • By esmy 9th Jun 17, 11:01 AM
    • 838 Posts
    • 2,661 Thanks
    esmy
    Morning all.

Well, my first gain since I started in January 0.5lb on. Unsurprised as I've had a very hungry week for some reason and have made some rubbish choices and not planned meals as usual. So, no excuses, I know what I need to do.

Can someone explain the version of EE that speeds up weight loss? Is it cutting out carbs? What about syns? Think I need to shake things up a bit next week!

Congrats to the losers, sorry you're taking a break Beanielou do come back when you're ready.
    • lushlifesaver
    • By lushlifesaver 9th Jun 17, 11:03 AM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 17,950 Thanks
    lushlifesaver
    g'day all,

weighed in this morning and actually 1.5lb on which is nowhere near what was expected if I'm honest!

Bit of a funny one today as I'm all over the place with work stuff. I've got some strawberries and grapes to much on, had an apple but already ate that ha, and a free mugshot for later (event over lunch and rarely hungry after!)

next week is a big event week at work so lots of dashing around especially on event day (Tuesday) Mondays plan is: scrambled egg with ham and tomatoes for brekkie, jacket potato and beans for lunch, something light for tea. Tuesday: heb breakfast (probably on the go/at work) flexed lunch based on what the caterers provide and a light tea salad or similar) and lots of water/squash as always forget to drink on event day! then Wednesday back to normal ish. budget has taken a hit this week as got to change how/when we claim expenses at work so keeping things tight (taxed the car, littlie needed a new coat, 2 sports weekends back to back etc all ebbing away the money) til pay day but will be as on plan as possible (plenty of salad and jacket potatoes!)
    Perfect Princess born 26/03/14 <3
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Jun 17, 11:12 AM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    Morning all.

Well, my first gain since I started in January 0.5lb on. Unsurprised as I've had a very hungry week for some reason and have made some rubbish choices and not planned meals as usual. So, no excuses, I know what I need to do.

Can someone explain the version of EE that speeds up weight loss? Is it cutting out carbs? What about syns? Think I need to shake things up a bit next week!

Congrats to the losers, sorry you're taking a break Beanielou do come back when you're ready.
    Originally posted by esmy

Good to know you're feeling philosophical about your little loss esmy. I think if you know why it helps a lot.

You're talking about EESP (Extra Easy Speed Protein) and yes, it is largely about cutting out carbs. It's meant for a week or a few odd days not a long term plan.

Briefly, instead of a third each on your plate of carb, protein and Speed it's 50:50 Protein and Speed only. You get an extra HEB if you do a full day (so 2 HEBs and 1 HEA). Free food isn't allowed whether carb or otherwise. You get your usual 15 syns a day.

That's if you want to do SP 100%. I have had the occasional full day but mainly I have SP lunches (like omelette and salad) to help. SW say that if you want to have a bit of free food (like a banana or a yogurt) then go for it. You just won't be fully on plan and shouldn't have the extra HEB but any cutting carbs will help a bit.

That's what I understand about it. I think it gets a bit vague when technically you could have synned yogurt but not free but that's the gist of it. Do ask if you have any questions and we'll try to help.
    • AlwaysHappy
    • By AlwaysHappy 9th Jun 17, 1:50 PM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 11,714 Thanks
    AlwaysHappy
    Morning all. Weigh in today and I've lost - 2.5 lbs so really pleased with that. Was counting election votes last night and was very virtuous and took strawberries, raspberries and blueberries, together with an alpen light bar... whilst everyone else tucked into chocolate, crisps and other off plan snacks. Surprised at my will power and so pleased it was worth it today. Hope you are all having a good week, inspite of losses. sts, life gets in the way sometimes.....
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 9th Jun 17, 3:22 PM
    • 4,672 Posts
    • 34,671 Thanks
    joedenise
    Esmy/Maman - According to my consultant there's been a bit of a U-turn about the Free food. Apparently you can't have synned yoghurts now and if you have anything else Free then that means you're not having an EESP day just a normal EE day. But having 50% Speed instead of 1/3 will help your weight loss anyway.

Anyway the reason I actually came back was to say that DH decided he wanted to go out so we've been to the local showground to a Motorhome Show (even though we might end up going again tomorrow with a friend!) It's a really small show so quite disappointing really.

Because of this it was a change of plan from my gammon & salad. The healthiest thing I could find was vegetable noodles with a sweet & sour sauce. There wasn't much sauce fortunately, only a couple of tablespoons so have synned it at 2.5 as the app says 5 per 100g.

Looks like tomorrow's lunch will now be gammon & salad, possibly in a sandwich depending on what we have for breakfast.

Denise
    • orlao
    • By orlao 9th Jun 17, 3:50 PM
    • 1,058 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    orlao
    Hello all,

Weekend nearly here
    +1lb for me this week please Shala.

Since I have been positively angelic this week it looks like it's true what they say about a minute on the lips, a lifetime on the hips
    after my cake fest weekend...
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 9th Jun 17, 4:52 PM
    • 48,138 Posts
    • 592,144 Thanks
    bubbs
    Afternoon all
    Well done everyone that has lost
    Sorry to those that have gained
    I have SW KFC in the oven, will see what its like
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    :-4 stone 4lb week 34
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 9th Jun 17, 6:04 PM
    • 4,672 Posts
    • 34,671 Thanks
    joedenise
    Won't be posting tomorrow as we're going out with a friend all day and staying over at her place. She's going to be feeding us so not going to be SW friendly.

I'll have to deal with it after the weekend!

Denise
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 9th Jun 17, 6:29 PM
    • 48,138 Posts
    • 592,144 Thanks
    bubbs
    Won't be posting tomorrow as we're going out with a friend all day and staying over at her place. She's going to be feeding us so not going to be SW friendly.

I'll have to deal with it after the weekend!

Denise
    Originally posted by joedenise
    Have a nice weekend, Well KFC was nice, nut needs a bit more zing so will try the twochubbychums one next time
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017 Actual £500
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • AlwaysHappy
    • By AlwaysHappy 9th Jun 17, 6:59 PM
    • 1,485 Posts
    • 11,714 Thanks
    AlwaysHappy
    OOh bubbs, I've just been looking at the chubbycubs kfc recipe - think I will have to put it on the planner.
    Well.. I've just looked on facebook and apparently I got sotw at class, I stayed for most of it and it wasn't mentioned at my turn, and I had to leave early... blooming gutted... I doubt it will happen again and she gave my basket to someone else.... ;(
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 9th Jun 17, 7:07 PM
    • 48,138 Posts
    • 592,144 Thanks
    bubbs
    OOh bubbs, I've just been looking at the chubbycubs kfc recipe - think I will have to put it on the planner.
    Well.. I've just looked on facebook and apparently I got sotw at class, I stayed for most of it and it wasn't mentioned at my turn, and I had to leave early... blooming gutted... I doubt it will happen again and she gave my basket to someone else.... ;(
    Originally posted by AlwaysHappy
    Someone recommended it on here the other day, what i did today was instant mash with mustard/curry/cinnamon powder, was nice but not strong enough
    Sorry you missed SOTW twice i have forgotten to take the stuff, but tbh sometimes only a couple of bits in there
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Jun 17, 7:37 PM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    Glad there's a bit of clarity on what can be synned on SP denise . I always think of SP as a spectrum so, you're right, the closer you get to 100% SP the better but any cutting carbs helps. I agree that unless you have a full day on the SP plan with no free food then you shouldn't have the extra HEB.

I did a small shop in Lidl to tide us over to Tuesday. Tonight's dinner is salmon, SW chips, tomatoes, mushrooms, mange tout and being Friday... wine syns!
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 9th Jun 17, 7:40 PM
    • 48,138 Posts
    • 592,144 Thanks
    bubbs
    maman that reminds me, you didnt happen to see rump steak for £1.79 did you?
    I saw it posted on hotdeals i think it was and meant to pop in and look
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • wizkid1
    • By wizkid1 9th Jun 17, 8:16 PM
    • 1,833 Posts
    • 15,065 Thanks
    wizkid1
    Hiya everyone, lost 1lb this week sorry it's not bold and red. SHALA

My menu for Saturday....

Breakfast..special K A/B srawberries Raspberries.

Lunch.. celery Soup 2 Ryvita / butter 6 syns bacon and egg tomatoes mushrooms.

Dinner...chicken new potatoes mixed veg melon.

Extra f f yoghurt. 2 crispbread/ butter 5 syns
    11 syns.
    • maman
    • By maman 9th Jun 17, 8:31 PM
    • 16,969 Posts
    • 101,500 Thanks
    maman
    Another loss wiz Well done! How much more to target now?

maman that reminds me, you didnt happen to see rump steak for £1.79 did you?
    I saw it posted on hotdeals i think it was and meant to pop in and look
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Sorry, I didn't. I just bought medallions for HB steak on Sunday.
    Smoked haddock was on offer so I bought some of that. I don't often go to Lidl but I had to pick my car up from its MOT and it's just next door.
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 9th Jun 17, 8:37 PM
    • 48,138 Posts
    • 592,144 Thanks
    bubbs
    Hiya everyone, lost 1lb this week sorry it's not bold and red. SHALA

My menu for Saturday....

Breakfast..special K A/B srawberries Raspberries.

Lunch.. celery Soup 2 Ryvita / butter 6 syns bacon and egg tomatoes mushrooms.

Dinner...chicken new potatoes mixed veg melon.

Extra f f yoghurt. 2 crispbread/ butter 5 syns
    11 syns.
    Originally posted by wizkid1
    well done

Smoked haddock was on offer so I bought some of that. I don't often go to Lidl but I had to pick my car up from its MOT and it's just next door.
    Originally posted by maman
    No probs thanks anyway
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15
    • wizkid1
    • By wizkid1 9th Jun 17, 11:52 PM
    • 1,833 Posts
    • 15,065 Thanks
    wizkid1

Originally posted by maman
    Maman
    5lb but at that I am not slim enough I think I may need another stone I need to be in a size 12 but I am between 14 and 16 which really won't do when your'e only 5 ft. Not to worry I am getting it off slow but sure and I know I am eating well. I have the odd slip ups, when I may have a meat pie or meat and potato, or a steak pudding, never sweet stuff I really am a savoury person. Also I have tried cutting down on bread and potatoes and I find I am not getting the same stomach pains that I had. Also believe it or not my green beans have increased to four or five, and cauliflower two or three sprigs.. so , better than I was but not good enough. I will keep trying because I know veg is best.
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 10th Jun 17, 12:20 AM
    • 1,647 Posts
    • 12,567 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    Have had a crazily busy day today.I briefly considered re-arranging my work so I could get everything else I needed,done.But that would have meant working over the weekend:-(.

Breakfast: apple,pear,an apricot

Coffeee with a sugar (1 syn)

No lunch

Tea: lamb chop,roast potato/butternut squash/parsnip,peas,corn,broccoli.Did cook swede for damn ever,but it was still rock-hard when I drained it,so couldn't eat that.
    Mint sauce (2 syns) and gravy (6 syns,I think).

Snack: rice cakes 3.5 syns

HEB: 2 Hifi bars

HEA: about 1/2 my allowance of skimmed milk

Only about 3 glasses of water today .Must get back onto drinking plain water.
    Roadkill Rebel #14,2016:£35.50 £12,000in2016 #82=£3163
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £292,Valued Opinions £10.50

• TakeItEazy
    • By TakeItEazy 10th Jun 17, 10:29 AM
    • 2,211 Posts
    • 14,893 Thanks
    TakeItEazy
    Thankyou x

well done you will do it

God luck hope you manage, but wish i was 40 this yr, instead 50 when are you 40? I am sure you will do it
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Nowt wrong with being 50 (or 51) it's the new 30

Finally caught up so well done losers and hugs to those in Need . Keep popping in beanie

Had a bit of a !!!!! week as hay fever kicked in big time. Had terrible time with my eyes, got new drops but feel it's made them worse. Been bloodshot all week so keep getting asked if I'm ok
    Has made me feel rough at times and feel the black dog sniffing around!

Anyway WI with half OFF so cheered up a bit.

Fed up with school as have ANOTHER trip out next week (back for lunch though) but it's a fun run and 1-1 hates anything to do with pe. Won't get changed, lucky if he changes his shoes! His dads not coming this time either! With my eyes I'm dreading it.
    Just using cooled boiled water today to see if that makes a difference, can see if it's drops then.

Sorry for essay, have a good weekend all
    Its not what you do but the way that you do it, thats what get results
    Keep the Faith All

Heartbroken 12.12.13
    • Matron Midge
    • By Matron Midge 10th Jun 17, 11:16 AM
    • 431 Posts
    • 3,719 Thanks
    Matron Midge
    Hi, I lost -1 1/2LB again this week. I haven't been very well so I think it's a result of not eating very much.
    I expect now my appetite is back I'll gain next week. Near the bottom of my target range now so I'll not have a problem if I do.
    In laws coming today and I'm doing a roast chicken. If the weather fairs up well have it with wedges and salad and if not, roasties and veg.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

326Posts Today

1,956Users online

Martin's Twitter