Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 30th Apr 17, 3:17 PM
    • 3,227Posts
    • 27,056Thanks
    shala_moo
    Be a Stunner for Summer - Slimming World support thread 2017
    • 30th Apr 17, 3:17 PM
    Be a Stunner for Summer - Slimming World support thread 2017 30th Apr 17 at 3:17 PM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert

Huge thanks to shala_moo for starting this challenge and keeping everyone motivated along with her in her goal to lose weight for summer. She's used the content from previous challenges, which explains what Slimming World's about, how it might help you etc. As some of the info in this first post may be from Slimming World itself it may sound a bit "adverty".

Back to shala_moo's support thread..

-----------

Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-06-2017 at 9:41 AM.
    Mortgage = £166,050£124,896.91
    Mortgage Offset % = 26.05%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Feb 2027
    SW target - 54lb/31.5lb
Page 35
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 18th May 17, 10:30 PM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 11,465 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    What I don't understand is why it censors it in the name but not when typed out by Saver-upper?!

Originally posted by Tete en l'Air
    I think it is because I put spaces within the name,and it got past the filters.

I have had a bizarre day today,and my appetite has completely gone.2 bizarre incidents today.

Before the day went crazy,for

Breakfast I had bacon,an egg,baked beans,baby plum tomatoes.

Have had no appetite for the rest of the day,but have just had a cuppa and 2 slices of toast (HEB+3syns) and Flora Light (1 syn).

And that is it.(couple of 1/2 cups of tea throughout).Will probably have a couple of hifi bars (synned ) later.\Or I might just go to bed.
    Roadkill Rebel #14,2016:£35.50 £12,000in2016 #82=£3163
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00
    Pinecone £286,Valued Opinions £10.50,Grocery Challenge June 17: £50.68/250

• beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th May 17, 10:32 PM
    • 46,264 Posts
    • 163,929 Thanks
    beanielou
    A STS for me.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • wizkid1
    • By wizkid1 18th May 17, 11:17 PM
    • 1,753 Posts
    • 14,453 Thanks
    wizkid1
    Well it's Friday again tomorrow and I will post my menu and post my losses later in the day..

Breakfast.. overnight oats B frozen raspberries , and f f yoghurt.

Lunch.. bacon egg beans tomatoes beetroot 1 slice of bread 3 syns.

Dinner.. chicken strips , s/w wedges, mixed veg. Clementine.

Extra 2 crackerbread / butter 5 syns A for brews. Apple.
    8 syns
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 19th May 17, 6:39 AM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 5,417 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Hugs Lantanna. Don't let a rude company upset you too much.

Well done Ruthy and Maisie on you losses.

Yesterday was another good day for me but today is the start of the weekend so need to keep it up.

Today's plan :
    Breakfast - egg and asparagus
    Lunch - not sure yet where I will be
    Dinner - stir fry

HA - milk
    HB - none
    Syns - none planned but sure there will be some ☺
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 43 lb
    Last updated: 13th June 2017
    • shiprob195
    • By shiprob195 19th May 17, 7:29 AM
    • 701 Posts
    • 921 Thanks
    shiprob195
    Just having a quick catch up before I go and hang out some washing, and noticed the profanity filter has put !!! in Shiprob's user name - for the life of me I can't see what could possibly be profane about it, anyone else know?

Back soon with a proper post.

LL
    Originally posted by Lois Lane
    No idea what the filter is all about. Some times my friends tell me I need a filter as I get very loud and "Northern" when drunk
    Slimming world new starter 2/1/17
    Weight loss so far 4 stone 4.5 lbs

Loss needed to get to target 14lbs
    24 weeks in to my weightloss journey
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 19th May 17, 8:19 AM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 16,086 Thanks
    curl girl
    Morning all.
    Great losers or sts again, Well done.
    Good news bubbs from the eye testing!
    I always take Mum for hers but the doctor recently told her she no longer needs to go as she's not diabetic anymore!
    She doesn't believe the doc and keeps saying it's because he's had his funding cut!?

Made the crustless quiche in a Pyrex last night instead of a tin, without the red onion and it was much better!
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboards!!!
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 19th May 17, 8:22 AM
    • 1,643 Posts
    • 16,086 Thanks
    curl girl
    Can I ask how to prep the overnight oats.
    What quantity and liquid is best please?
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboards!!!
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 19th May 17, 8:32 AM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 5,417 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Can I ask how to prep the overnight oats.
    What quantity and liquid is best please?
    Originally posted by curl girl
    40g oats, which is the amount you are allowed for you healthy b
    1 tub of muller light which I think is 175g
    As much fruit as you want.

Some people leave it layered overnight and stir it just before eating. I prefer to mix it when I make it to allow the oats to soak up the liquid easier.
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 43 lb
    Last updated: 13th June 2017
    • Moneysaverme
    • By Moneysaverme 19th May 17, 8:34 AM
    • 157 Posts
    • 1,268 Thanks
    Moneysaverme
    Well, my husband picked me up the latest copy of the SW magazine last night... the new one is obviously not in the shops yet so I've got a repeat of last months! Never mind, I'm sure Morrisons will do a swap when it does come out. I was so looking forward to it!!

I've got two days till my WI, I'll be trying really hard til then. I haven't been totally paying attention to my food as I've been poorly so a STS will be acceptable and a loss would be amazing.

Have a good day all x
    Weight loss 2017 - 16 lbs
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 19th May 17, 8:51 AM
    • 6,744 Posts
    • 30,565 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Reporting a STS please Shala - bit disappointed as I didn't go very off plan last weekend (meals were all SW), been on plan since Monday, and I've run a lot. Hopefully it'll catch up with me next week.

B - Porridge - something hearty as I'm off to donate blood. How much does a pint of blood weigh again?
    D - Might have spaghetti and sausages on toast since I'm feeling dejected
    T - Spag bol - need to do a big batch as there's none in the freezer!
    HEA - Milk - skimmed and Alpro choc soya in porridge
    HEB - Oats
    Syns - Sugar (3), spaghetti and sausages (5.5), cheese (? not sure yet)

Good luck to other Friday weighers, almost the weekend everyone!
    Be a Stunner for Summer Challenge: 0/10 (9/42 in total)
    Currently reading: The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet; Amber Spyglass AB (23/30 in 2017)
    My 'Life Begins at 35' diary *click*
    • lantanna
    • By lantanna 19th May 17, 9:19 AM
    • 2,546 Posts
    • 18,798 Thanks
    lantanna
    Ah lantanna big hugs I really feel for you

I've had a bit of a hideous day today, drawing a line I don't even want to think about the bad stuff I ate today, self sabotageyness at it's finest! OH is having problems at work and as his problems are also my problems, we've both done a bit of comfort eating today (which is stupid because the trousers I need to fit into next week are really cutting me in two!) I'm also having work issues, self esteem issues, life issues and home issues and it's becoming stupidly hard to get my head back in the game propely and focus. I will get there though, we all will
    Originally posted by candyapple

Definitely on the same wavelength right now!
    3 stone 13.5 lbs to target

• Matron Midge
    • By Matron Midge 19th May 17, 11:15 AM
    • 408 Posts
    • 3,519 Thanks
    Matron Midge
    -1/2LB for me this morning.
    Slowly getting down target range so I'm pretty pleased.
    Today's menu
    He a milk
    He b hifi bars
    B hifi's in class,
    L LO chicken fajita filling with shredded iceberg, carrot and toms (maybe some dressing 3)
    D Sw chips and eggs, strawberries, meringue nest (2) total yog (3)
    Evening large G&T as I deserve one this week!! (6-9)
    A little bit over on syns if I have it all but it will even out over the week
    • maman
    • By maman 19th May 17, 11:19 AM
    • 16,090 Posts
    • 96,143 Thanks
    maman
    Made the crustless quiche in a Pyrex last night instead of a tin, without the red onion and it was much better!
    Originally posted by curl girl

That's good. I used my Pyrex dish too. Just copied tweets pic. I think I'll make another this weekend.

Sorry you got a STS tete. Better luck next week. I don't blame you having your favourite tin of sausages for lunch but you'll need an awful lot of Speed in your Bolognese to make it a third of a day's food. I rarely have Speed with breakfast but make it up the rest of the day. Ideally you'd have had fruit with your porage but too late now. What about snacking on some fruit? It's easy to hoover up a punnet of raspberries I find.

I have to do my meal plan and shop before we can have anything vaguely SW friendly for today's dinner. Will post later when it's done.

ETA: Well done midge.
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 19th May 17, 12:45 PM
    • 1,499 Posts
    • 11,465 Thanks
    Saver-upper

B - Porridge - something hearty as I'm off to donate blood. How much does a pint of blood weigh again?
    Originally posted by Tete en l'Air
    Because it is Friday,and I have finished work for the day,and I am nosey,I had a google.If you donate 450 ml (NHS website says that 470ml is taken),you will have lost 468g.AND ,your body burn up 650 calories replacing every unit of blood you donate,so it's all good .
    I thought I saw that the 468g is replaced quite quickly,but I can't find the site now,so I guess it is a very small window you have to weigh yourself for optimum results .
    Roadkill Rebel #14,2016:£35.50 £12,000in2016 #82=£3163
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00
    Pinecone £286,Valued Opinions £10.50,Grocery Challenge June 17: £50.68/250

• AlwaysHappy
    • By AlwaysHappy 19th May 17, 1:30 PM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 11,645 Thanks
    AlwaysHappy
    A -2LB LOSS for me today so pleased with that and got my half stone certificate. So far, its going in the right direction which is good to see. Well done to all the losers this week, and hugs to those that may need them. Hugs are fewer calories than chocolate so fill up on them .
    I'm not a failure if I don't make it, I'm a success because I :tried!
    • Lois Lane
    • By Lois Lane 19th May 17, 1:41 PM
    • 3,434 Posts
    • 14,265 Thanks
    Lois Lane
    Hi all - another crazy day today, so this is the first chance I've had to post. I wouldn't mind if we were busy with customers but we've hardly taken any money DH offered to have a look at someone's mobility scooter (he used to be in the business) and while he was outside the owner was in the shop bending my ear. Then we had more visitors who are known to our customers so there was a lot of chatting!

Anyway, I'm happy to report a loss of 1lb

We're just catching up with the programme about the All You Can eat buffet restaurants anyway watch it? The "professional" eaters make me feel a bit queasy food up their faces and all over their t-shirts.

But it's quite interesting to hear how the restaurants still make their money, even when people think they're getting their money's worth.
    Originally posted by shala_moo
    I didn't see that but it sounds gross. I'm not a fan of all you can eat buffets, I'd rather choose a starter and main from a menu. I've been to one where they set a time limit of 90 minutes, I imagine so people don't stay all day stuffing their faces.

Hi I was going to slimmming World last year and lost a bit, got a bit discouraged after may a week of maintaining. I am hoping to get back on the bandwagon and would appreciate any tips to help along the way. Thank you
    Originally posted by LynnMac
    Welcome to the thread LynnMac. I suggest you refresh your memory of the plan, read your books, and give it your best shot. The key to success is planning - do a meal plan, include plenty of speed food, write a shopping list and keep a food diary, even if it's only a small notebook. Feel free to join in the chat and ask any questions.

Well, my husband picked me up the latest copy of the SW magazine last night... the new one is obviously not in the shops yet so I've got a repeat of last months! Never mind, I'm sure Morrisons will do a swap when it does come out. I was so looking forward to it!!
    Originally posted by Moneysaverme
    Will they take a magazine back? Just thinking it would be a great way to get new magazines for nothing, read it, then take it back when the new one comes out. Bit like a lending library...

Well done for donating your blood Tete. Unfortunately the weight lost is replaced as soon as you've had a drink.

Have a great weekend everyone (wine Syns ).

LL
    Start BMI - 38.7 Current BMI - 31.2 Target BMI - 26.3
    • candyapple
    • By candyapple 19th May 17, 1:42 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 4,107 Thanks
    candyapple

Lantanna and Canyapple - hugs to you both. I know I'll be preaching to the converted when I say you know the comfort eating will make you feel worse in the long run. I haven't got any advice but you have the support of everyone here so feel free to rant or off load.
    Originally posted by Lois Lane
    Yep you're bang right Lois I think I've always turned to food to make me feel better but I'm trying to wean myself off it and change habits slowly. I bought some Soap & Glory goodies yesterday so I'm looking forward to a long soak with those later.

Yes our Poppy her eyes light up when I get package from freezer
    Originally posted by tweets
    Aww my in-laws dog knows what her favourite treats packaging looks like as well Love seeing her eyes light up and her getting all excited

I'm feeling much better about things today. Although I didn't sleep well at all, had about 3 hours but weirdly enough I don't feel tired .. yet .. watch this space though the 3pm slump usually gets me! I'm trying to meal plan for next week and doing a Tesco shop this afternoon while trying to keep busy so I don't snack.

It's been a horribly long week, I'll be glad when it's over!

Hope the blood giving went well Tete - I used to be a regular donor but I had a letter a while back telling me I wouldn't be able to donate as regularly any more as I have quite a rare blood type and there's not much demand for it anymore. Quite gutted as I really enjoyed doing it.

Today's food:

B - porridge with banana & honey (2 syns) and 2 cups of coffee
    L - to be decided but probably some soup & rice cakes when I feel peckish
    T - fish cakes (6 syns) with SW chips, mushy peas and some steam fresh veg from freezer to get my speed quota up

Right back to my Tesco order, have a fab day everyone
    x

• candyapple
    • By candyapple 19th May 17, 1:43 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 4,107 Thanks
    candyapple
    Hugs are fewer calories than chocolate so fill up on them
    Originally posted by AlwaysHappy
    Love this!

• maman
    • By maman 19th May 17, 2:02 PM
    • 16,090 Posts
    • 96,143 Thanks
    maman
    At last lois , a loss! I'm really pleased for you.
    You too always happy

I've sorted today's plan and will be off to Aldi in a moment.

Today's EE plan :
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB toast, fried egg, baked beans, HEA milk for drinks
    L: JP with veggie chilli cottage cheese and pickles
    D: burgers, SW chips, mushrooms, tomatoes, fried onions
    Syns: BGTY Burger 1. weekend wine
    • rjhammond91
    • By rjhammond91 19th May 17, 2:08 PM
    • 307 Posts
    • 1,080 Thanks
    rjhammond91
    Good afternoon guys!

Sorry I've been a bit awol again!

Food for today is -

L - sw tomato and basil soup with 2 pieces of wholemeal bread (heB)
    D - either spaghetti bolognese or sw chicken tikka masala (Iceland meal) and rice
    Snacks - apple, Aldis version of chocolate animals (5), muller light, 2 lighter cheese triangles (half of HeA, other half as milk in tea) and some other form of chocolate/sweets
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

434Posts Today

4,221Users online

Martin's Twitter