Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 30th Apr 17, 3:17 PM
    • 3,230Posts
    • 27,079Thanks
    shala_moo
    Be a Stunner for Summer - Slimming World support thread 2017
    • 30th Apr 17, 3:17 PM
    Be a Stunner for Summer - Slimming World support thread 2017 30th Apr 17 at 3:17 PM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert

Huge thanks to shala_moo for starting this challenge and keeping everyone motivated along with her in her goal to lose weight for summer. She's used the content from previous challenges, which explains what Slimming World's about, how it might help you etc. As some of the info in this first post may be from Slimming World itself it may sound a bit "adverty".

Back to shala_moo's support thread..

-----------

Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-06-2017 at 9:41 AM.
    Mortgage = £166,050£124,896.91
    Mortgage Offset % = 26.05%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Feb 2027
    SW target - 54lb/31.5lb
Page 34
    • Ruthy1604
    • By Ruthy1604 18th May 17, 7:07 PM
    • 520 Posts
    • 4,974 Thanks
    Ruthy1604
    a 1lb loss for me this week I am over the moon I cannot remember the last time I had losses 3 weeks in a row. I must not get complacent.

Funnily enough my DH saw it in the kitchen and put an extra mat on the table thinking it was another side dish. I told him he wouldn't like it! If it's the cottage cheese one it was tweets that posted the recipe and a pic.

Originally posted by maman
    Yes - it was the one with cottage cheese that Tweets posted. It was lovely and fillled me up at lunch so much that I didn't eat my fruit and yogurt
    10lb to lose & keep off in 2017 4.5lb/10lb
    Save 12K in 2017 Number 74 £9845/£30000
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 18th May 17, 7:17 PM
    • 10,150 Posts
    • 18,205 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Hi all
    Not much to report here really! Just a quick post while waiting for my meal to cook before the highlight of my day- EastEnders
    I had an appointment this afternoon so I ate lunch before I went- worked very well as it filled me up nicely all day.
    Today's food:
    B: HEXB HiFi Light x 2, decaf tea
    L: SW burgers x 2, wedges done in Actifry (1 syn for oil) mixed salad, raspberries and light and free yoghurt.
    T: Carrots, broccoli, cauli, Aldi Lamb Rogan Josh (1 syn) Mini Twister (2 syns) NAS Vimto
    S: SW Soup, 2 Crackerbreads (2 syns) Wotsits (4.5 syns)
    Syns: 10.5
    Has anyone else had the 1 syn Rogan Josh from Aldi? It's amazing! Full of big chunks of lamb and the sauce has an amazing kick to it. Also savouring my Light and Free yoghurts- we've switched to shopping at Aldi to save some cash so I've just been eating natural 0% fat Greek yoghurt. Was ecstatic to find them at half price when I popped into Tesco in the week.
    Love to you all x
    Ps Lantanna- sending you huge hugs and to anyone else who needs them xx
    Last edited by Mrs_Ryan; 18-05-2017 at 7:26 PM.
    I finished my degree!! AA100, DD102, U214, A230, A363, E302 (Complete) OU BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit- results 07/17
    Proud to be the WFC!!! #TeamWoody
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 18th May 17, 7:18 PM
    • 6,751 Posts
    • 30,597 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    What I don't understand is why it censors it in the name but not when typed out by Saver-upper?!

Welcome LynnMac, make yourself at home! Well done on your 2.5 stone Choc Teddy! And on being restrained Kathryn!

Hugs Lantanna, it'll all come together soon I'm sure.

My day today was completely different to the one I planned:

B - None
    D - 2x Sushi snack packs, melon pack, NAS Ribena
    T - Pork steaks with fat left on , grilled tomatoes, fried new potatoes, mushrooms and onions
    HEA - Milk
    HEB - Alpen Lights
    Syns - Sushi (2), pork fat (4?), sugar (3), hot chocolate (2) = 11

WI tomorrow, hadn't meant to have any carbs for tea but I was hungry and couldn't resist

Looking forward to the final part of Three Girls tonight, grim though it is.
    Sun, Sand, Sea and Slimming Challenge: 0/7 (0/35)
    Currently reading: The Handmaid's Tale; Stitch Head AB (25/30 in 2017)
    My 'Life Begins at 35' diary *click*
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 18th May 17, 7:38 PM
    • 48,539 Posts
    • 565,883 Thanks
    bubbs
    Evening all
    Well done to all the people that have lost
    Curly you can have carbs
    And sorry cant remember who said about the water , yes it was me that mentioned water, but not drank so much myself this week will see what happens when i get weighed sat
    Had my eye screening today, eyes just back to normal
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

-2 stone 11 1/2 lb week 16
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 18th May 17, 7:51 PM
    • 4,540 Posts
    • 33,477 Thanks
    joedenise
    Felt sorry for Southampton last night, maman – such a pity that penalty was saved. Sorry tweets.

Aw, that’s a shame, lantanna. Their loss. As others have said, they’re too uncaring to be decent employers.

Congrats on getting the job, Squiggly. The hard work starts in September.lol!

Great result, chocolateteddy.

Hello, LynnMac. There are lots of wise and helpful people here!
    Originally posted by greentiger
    Think Greentiger has said everything I was going to say! Still saves me having to type it all out myself.

Decided to WI this morning and was pleasantly surprised to have only gained 0.5lb, definitely deserved more after eating out yesterday and drinking half bottle of wine last night, LOL!

Today's plan:

B - mixed fruit after WI - mango, raspberries & nectarines
    L - jacket potato, tuna mayo (0.5 syn for LTL mayo); salad
    D - burger from butcher (0.5); WM pitta (HEB); fried onions, radish salsa (needed to use up the radishes which I really don't like - but have to say this was a good way of using them and enough left to have with salad tomorrow)

HEA - milk
    HEB - WM pitta
    Syns - wine ?; mayo 0.5; burger 0.5

Denise
    • tweets
    • By tweets 18th May 17, 8:04 PM
    • 28,208 Posts
    • 406,946 Thanks
    tweets
    Felt sorry for Southampton last night, maman – such a pity that penalty was saved. Sorry tweets.

Aw, that’s a shame, lantanna. Their loss. As others have said, they’re too uncaring to be decent employers.

Congrats on getting the job, Squiggly. The hard work starts in September.lol!

Great result, chocolateteddy.

Hello, LynnMac. There are lots of wise and helpful people here!
    Originally posted by greentiger
    Twas a great save

I am after reading what Jose doing with Sundays match he playing kids saying they finishing 6th and he hoping Big Sam plays a weak side because Crystal Palace staying up

I can see us getting fined again but I do agree with us sending out weakened team seeing we in Final Wednesday

How many syns in these please ?

Lost 2st-13lb
    • tweets
    • By tweets 18th May 17, 8:06 PM
    • 28,208 Posts
    • 406,946 Thanks
    tweets
    a 1lb loss for me this week I am over the moon I cannot remember the last time I had losses 3 weeks in a row. I must not get complacent.

Yes - it was the one with cottage cheese that Tweets posted. It was lovely and fillled me up at lunch so much that I didn't eat my fruit and yogurt
    Originally posted by Ruthy1604
    Glad you liked it. I will be making another this weekend and it will have different veg in it than last week .
    Lost 2st-13lb
    • candyapple
    • By candyapple 18th May 17, 8:14 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 4,108 Thanks
    candyapple
    Ah lantanna big hugs I really feel for you

I've had a bit of a hideous day today, drawing a line I don't even want to think about the bad stuff I ate today, self sabotageyness at it's finest! OH is having problems at work and as his problems are also my problems, we've both done a bit of comfort eating today (which is stupid because the trousers I need to fit into next week are really cutting me in two!) I'm also having work issues, self esteem issues, life issues and home issues and it's becoming stupidly hard to get my head back in the game propely and focus. I will get there though, we all will

• bubbs
    • By bubbs 18th May 17, 8:15 PM
    • 48,539 Posts
    • 565,883 Thanks
    bubbs
    Twas a great save

I am after reading what Jose doing with Sundays match he playing kids saying they finishing 6th and he hoping Big Sam plays a weak side because Crystal Palace staying up

I can see us getting fined again but I do agree with us sending out weakened team seeing we in Final Wednesday

How many syns in these please ?

Originally posted by tweets
    Birds Eye Inspirations Lemon, Herb & Thyme Seasoned Chargrills, frozen (each baked) ½
    Sealed pot challenge number 242 £350 for 2015, 2016 £400 Actual£345, £400 for 2017
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

• tweets
    • By tweets 18th May 17, 8:19 PM
    • 28,208 Posts
    • 406,946 Thanks
    tweets
    Birds Eye Inspirations Lemon, Herb & Thyme Seasoned Chargrills, frozen (each baked) ½
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Thank you bubbs I was wondering if they the ones I eating because I know a similar inspirations have more syns per finger , Glad they the right ones I been eating I have about 1 and 1/4 guess who eats other 3/4 ?
    Lost 2st-13lb
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 18th May 17, 8:30 PM
    • 48,539 Posts
    • 565,883 Thanks
    bubbs
    Thank you bubbs I was wondering if they the ones I eating because I know a similar inspirations have more syns per finger , Glad they the right ones I been eating I have about 1 and 1/4 guess who eats other 3/4 ?
    Originally posted by tweets
    Ermmmmmmmmm let me think oh i know our poppy
    I have never tried them,they do like nice
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

• Moneysaverme
    • By Moneysaverme 18th May 17, 8:42 PM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,283 Thanks
    Moneysaverme
    Evening all,

Just about to get the new SW magazine, looking forward to finding some new recipes and inspiration. I still have the lurgy so I'm not totally on plan. We shall see the results on Sunday's WI. Maybe a stay the same if I'm lucky. I have just had an on plan tea, followed by a mars bar ice cream (worth the 7 syns I'd say). I'm still within my syns for the day and don't think I'll be having anything else.

I'm really fancying dark berry fruits at the moment, lots of blueberries and the like. Thankfully it's a healthy craving for once!

Well done for those with good news recently and hugs to those who are having a rubbish time. Hopefully things will turn a corner soon x
    Weight loss 2017 - 16 lbs
    • bubbs
    • By bubbs 18th May 17, 8:55 PM
    • 48,539 Posts
    • 565,883 Thanks
    bubbs
    Lady from one of my consultants classes won SW greatest loser of the year
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/lifestyle/dieting/success-stories/gran-lost-18-stone-after-10433237
    Stopped Smoking 22/01/15

• Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 18th May 17, 8:57 PM
    • 6,751 Posts
    • 30,597 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Just about to get the new SW magazine, looking forward to finding some new recipes and inspiration.
    Originally posted by Moneysaverme
    I just got mine today, apparently it's all about 'Motivation', so I'm hoping for an epiphany!
    Sun, Sand, Sea and Slimming Challenge: 0/7 (0/35)
    Currently reading: The Handmaid's Tale; Stitch Head AB (25/30 in 2017)
    My 'Life Begins at 35' diary *click*
    • maman
    • By maman 18th May 17, 9:09 PM
    • 16,199 Posts
    • 96,721 Thanks
    maman
    Glad you had a loss Ruthy .

I do like the Inspirations tweets but they are very small. I'm glad you called them fingers! That's 3 penalties we've missed in a row but, to be fair, your sub keeper was MOTM.

That's only a tiny gain denise , not bad after the birthday celebrations and eating out just yesterday. I hate it when I have a heavy day before WI.

The Aldi lamb rogan josh is lush MrsR . I had a problem getting hold of them so now I have 4 packs in the freezer. Reading the ingredients there's enough Speed (onions and tomatoes) in a pack to make it SW friendly but I added mushrooms as well.

My dinner was surprisingly good considering I threw together loads of bits and pieces that needed using up. Particularly enjoyed the mash. I added some frozen leeks to the potatoes for the last few minutes. Then after mashing I stirred in some LO cabbage and chopped spring onion. I put it all in a dish, sliced tomatoes on top and a sprinkle of cheese. I heated it through alongside the fish and roasted veg.

All I've got left is a few potatoes and some celery in the bottom of the fridge. Meal planning tomorrow!!
    • tweets
    • By tweets 18th May 17, 9:13 PM
    • 28,208 Posts
    • 406,946 Thanks
    tweets
    Ermmmmmmmmm let me think oh i know our poppy
    I have never tried them,they do like nice
    Originally posted by bubbs
    I love them call them big fish fingers .

Yes our Poppy her eyes light up when I get package from freezer
    Lost 2st-13lb
    • tweets
    • By tweets 18th May 17, 9:19 PM
    • 28,208 Posts
    • 406,946 Thanks
    tweets
    Glad you had a loss Ruthy .

I do like the Inspirations tweets but they are very small. I'm glad you called them fingers! That's 3 penalties we've missed in a row but, to be fair, your sub keeper was MOTM.

That's only a tiny gain denise , not bad after the birthday celebrations and eating out just yesterday. I hate it when I have a heavy day before WI.

The Aldi lamb rogan josh is lush MrsR . I had a problem getting hold of them so now I have 4 packs in the freezer. Reading the ingredients there's enough Speed (onions and tomatoes) in a pack to make it SW friendly but I added mushrooms as well.

My dinner was surprisingly good considering I threw together loads of bits and pieces that needed using up. Particularly enjoyed the mash. I added some frozen leeks to the potatoes for the last few minutes. Then after mashing I stirred in some LO cabbage and chopped spring onion. I put it all in a dish, sliced tomatoes on top and a sprinkle of cheese. I heated it through alongside the fish and roasted veg.

All I've got left is a few potatoes and some celery in the bottom of the fridge. Meal planning tomorrow!!
    Originally posted by maman
    I only managed to watch parts of the match due to cricfree being silly . Romero was good what I saw

I keep forgetting to add water to tray before I cook the Inspirations but they still taste nice
    Lost 2st-13lb
    • Lois Lane
    • By Lois Lane 18th May 17, 9:27 PM
    • 3,434 Posts
    • 14,265 Thanks
    Lois Lane
    Hi again

I'm back finally! I thought I'd have chance to post earlier but the day ran away from me. Had an unexpected visitor at lunchtime, planted up some flower pots, decided to tackle my ironing pile including the 2 loads I got dried today, cooked the dinner, went out for a walk and now I've got my feet up at last.

I've added a pedometer app to my mobile and I'm trying to increase the number of steps I do each day, I really didn't feel like walking tonight but that spurred me on and I passed 2,000 - I know that's a low number for many people but it's progress.

I've just been checking the urban dictionary too, which made me chuckle, but interestingly the last entry for the three letters is:
    used to describe a husky, corn-fed, big-boned person. short for obese.

Lantanna and Canyapple - hugs to you both. I know I'll be preaching to the converted when I say you know the comfort eating will make you feel worse in the long run. I haven't got any advice but you have the support of everyone here so feel free to rant or off load.

Well done to the losers, I'm really hoping to be one myself tomorrow, fingers crossed.

Back soon,

LL
    Start BMI - 38.7 Current BMI - 31.2 Target BMI - 26.3
    • joedenise
    • By joedenise 18th May 17, 10:20 PM
    • 4,540 Posts
    • 33,477 Thanks
    joedenise
    Good luck for LL for WI tomorrow.

Denise
    • Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 18th May 17, 10:29 PM
    • 1,360 Posts
    • 12,687 Thanks
    Maisie M
    Sorry not been around much but can you pop me down for a 3.5lb loss for this week please Shala thanks
    SPC - #210 2014 - £178.11
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,824Posts Today

8,187Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin