Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shala_moo
    • By shala_moo 30th Apr 17, 3:17 PM
    • 3,230Posts
    • 27,079Thanks
    shala_moo
    Be a Stunner for Summer - Slimming World support thread 2017
    • 30th Apr 17, 3:17 PM
    Be a Stunner for Summer - Slimming World support thread 2017 30th Apr 17 at 3:17 PM
    MoneySavingExpert.com Insert

Huge thanks to shala_moo for starting this challenge and keeping everyone motivated along with her in her goal to lose weight for summer. She's used the content from previous challenges, which explains what Slimming World's about, how it might help you etc. As some of the info in this first post may be from Slimming World itself it may sound a bit "adverty".

Back to shala_moo's support thread..

-----------

Shiny new thread, with all the info carried over as follows:-

Slimming World and Food Optimising is a plan for life, it's not a quick fix and you should look at weight losses over a period of time. There are no prizes for speed of weight loss.

You need to commit to making changes to the food that you buy and how you cook it, because what you've been doing in the past hasn't got you to where you want to be.

You can't use parts of the plan that suit you and forget the rest.

If you are not prepared to make a commitment to change the behaviour that has got you into your current situation then nothing is going to change, and above all things, you need to be honest and accountable for every single mouthful of food that passes your lips.

You need to care enough to take time out to pre-plan your slimming campaign. Look again at the menu plans and see the variety and volume of food you can eat. All you have to lose is the weight.

Slimming World has been successfully helping people lose weight for over forty years, so trust them and read your Food Optimising books again and again.

Food Optimising is easy but life isn't. Losing weight is a battle but you have the battle plan in your food optimising book, your secret weapon is free food, and that, together with your healthy extras and syns add up to a healthy way of eating that can (and should) be a life plan. Success is there waiting for you………go for it!

If you fancy having a go at EE, here are the official 'rules' to ensure that you not only lose weight regularly but get all the nutrition your body needs to function well:-

Extra Easy:

1: Choose your Free Food

Most of the food you eat should come from the free foods list – so that’s pasta, rice, potatoes, lean meat, poultry, fish, fruit and vegetables.

And for super-fast, super healthy results, fill one third of your plate with Speed Foods!

2: Choose your Healthy Extras

Each day select one Healthy Extra ‘a’ choice and one Healthy Extra ‘b’ choice from our simplified list of calcium and fibre-filled foods, including milk, cheese, bread, nuts and cereal.

3: Enjoy 5-15 Syns each day

-------------------------------------------------------------

If you find your weight loss has slowed down or stopped, check:-

1. Whether everything you're counting as Free, is Free

2. Whether you're under-estimating Syn values (over-estimate if guessing)

3. Whether you're counting everything that should be counted

4. Whether you're measuring everything that should be measured

5. Whether you're sabotaging your success in any other way (using SAS logs will help uncover individual long-term self-sabotage patterns) and, if none of these is the culprit, either...........

A: increase the proportion of Speed Foods to half of your plate
    B: switch to more Speed Foods

or

C: try Extra Easy SP - details are on this link - https://www.minimins.com/threads/extra-easy-sp-plan.348340/

And above all, if you follow the plan, any plan, 100% you will lose weight!

Remember we are all here to support each other, and to have fun, and to share in any little disappointments.

Link to the List of Healthy Extras as at April 14

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...postcount=4853

List of Speed foods here - Fruits & Vegetables

We have a Facebook group open to anyone joining us on this thread; to join please mention it in your post or drop Lushlifesaver a PM and an existing member can send you an invite.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 19-06-2017 at 9:41 AM.
    Mortgage = £166,050£124,896.91
    Mortgage Offset % = 26.05%
    Mortgage Neutral Date = Dec 2036 Feb 2027
    SW target - 54lb/31.5lb
Page 33
    • wizkid1
    • By wizkid1 17th May 17, 9:39 PM
    • 1,793 Posts
    • 14,714 Thanks
    wizkid1
    This will be my Thursday menu...

Breakfast.. porridge,A/B mixed berries.

Lunch.. celery soup. Slice of bread 3 syns. Apple

Dinner..sausage 4 syns s/w wedges garden peas, haricot beans, beetroot.

Extra f f yoghurt. 2 crackerbread /butter 5 syns.
    12 syns.
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 17th May 17, 11:06 PM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 11,772 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    Today's menu:

Breakfast: a mandarin,2 apricots,apple

Lunch: home-made butternut squash soup: butternut ,potato,onion ,and 2 slices toast (HEB+ 3syns),marg (1 syn)

Snack: nectarine

Snack: 2 apricots

Hunter's chicken (just under 2 syns for cheese),served with rice,mange tout,swede,fried onion and peppers.

Tonight,having forgotten that I had had toast at lunch,I had my 2 Hifi bars ( and considered having a third ),so 6 syns there .

Have been having milk in cups of tea.

Ooohhhh-just did the maths-only 12 syns for the day.Woohoo.Felt like alot more as I was typing it out .Mind you,I haven't had 2 pieces of toast/bread in a day since starting back at SW.It was just such a wet,miserable day today,and I had an unexpected afternoon off,so I just fancied spoiling myself with home-made soup and warm toast.
    Roadkill Rebel #14,2016:£35.50 £12,000in2016 #82=£3163
    SPC #155 x 7.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00
    Pinecone £289,Valued Opinions £10.50,Grocery Challenge June 17: £50.68/250

• maman
    • By maman 17th May 17, 11:58 PM
    • 16,236 Posts
    • 96,928 Thanks
    maman
    Probably had too many syns today. We had our meal at 4pm, just an apple for lunch. Unfortunately that meant we were hungry later. Shared a bag of chips with DH on the way back from football. They were really good though, fresh from the fryer with loads of salt and vinegar. Yum! Back on plan tomorrow.

Glad you were able to stick to your menu today kathryna . That's a good start to your new week.
    • Squiggly Diddly
    • By Squiggly Diddly 18th May 17, 6:31 AM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 14,957 Thanks
    Squiggly Diddly
    Another week flown past - weigh-in tonight but expecting to maintain or slightly put on.

Well done Mrs Ryan, great achievement 🙂 Know how you feel with the study/good thing. I'm in the last couple of weeks of my PGCE & Tuesday involved a teaching job interview in the morning (first one and you have to teach a lesson as well as a panel interview) and then straight to uni for an assessed end of course interview... So any food planning has gone out the window & I had Pizza Hut pizza for dinner Tuesday. And finished it off last night

I got the job though!! Woohoo. So pleased & relieved. Means that from September, in my (very) late 40's I will be a newly qualified teacher, something Ive wanted to do for years. Just need to apply the same determination to my food/diet now.

Lantanna, that's so annoying & rude of that employer My oldest has had similar experiences recently, after travelling g an hour for a Friday evening interview & it taking 3 weeks to an answer (after they kept stalling on a decision) to say they were 'reviewing the role'. Nothing like wasting people's time and money

Anyhow, waffling on now, will update with gain/loss tonight... Have a good day all!
    Live your life until love is found, or love's gonna get you down" (credit to Mika!)

• kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 18th May 17, 7:59 AM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 6,095 Thanks
    kathrynha
    After a good day tomorrow, hoping for a good one today too. Going to be a bit more difficult, as I have a work event where breakfast and lunch are provided. I'm going already having had breakfast, will have some healthy snacks in my handbag, and will have a late lunch if it's unsuitable. I can always use my restricted diet and allergies as an excuse to not eat the provided food if it looks bad.

Today's plan:
    My breakfast - SW quiche
    Provided breakfast - none unless there is fruit
    Coffee break - avoiding biscuits
    Provided lunch - expecting really bad, but if there is salad I will have some, just enough to tide me over till I'm back in the office.
    My Lunch - HM pot noodle
    Dinner - Cottage pie with veg mash on the top
    Snacks - cereal bars, strawberries, Aldi quavers

HA - milk
    HB - cereal bars
    syns - Aldi quavers (3), miso (0.5)
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 45.5 lb
    Last updated: 11th July 2017
    • Tete en l'Air
    • By Tete en l'Air 18th May 17, 8:10 AM
    • 6,760 Posts
    • 30,635 Thanks
    Tete en l'Air
    Oh well done Squiggly! That's one good thing about teaching, at least you find out on the same day as the interview - although once they got us all together in the staff room to tell us together which was a bit like a nightmarish version of the Oscars: "And the job goes to........... the bloke who turned up in jeans!" (OH YES).

Following on from that, sorry to hear about the job Lantanna, but as others have said would you want to work for a company who can't even send a response to interviewees?! I mean how much work can it be to copy and paste a standard email just to put people out of their misery? It's just plain ignorant.

I've had an acknowledgement but no proper response from the job I applied to last week. I think I was lured into a false sense of security by getting to the interview stage of the first two I applied for. There are other interesting things advertised at the mo though, so will keep plugging, and will get myself down to the temping agencies to try to secure something for when I get back from Paris at the beginning of June.

they used to say a pint of water weigh a pound and a quarter, so dont drink before you get weighed
    Originally posted by bubbs
    Haha love that little rhyme! Always do it first thing before imbibing anything and hopefully after a loo trip. Really do need to up my intake long-term though.

Yesterday wasn't massive on syns but my lunch was a mug shot and two alpen lights, so it wasn't great! Today's plan:

Brunch - Bacon, onion, mushroom, tomato and potato fry up
    Tea - Pork steaks with mixed veg from freezer and some Aunt Bessie Carrot and Swede mash
    HEA - Milk
    HEB - Alpen lights
    Syns - Sugar (3), mash (1), hot choc (4) = 8

Have a lovely day everyone! I'm off to get my nails and roots done and my fringe trimmed so I'll be like a new woman by sunset!
    Sun, Sand, Sea and Slimming Challenge: 3/7 (3/35)
    Currently reading: An Exclusive Love; Fahrenheit 451 AB (27/30 in 2017)
    My 'Life Begins at 35' diary *click*
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 18th May 17, 8:28 AM
    • 46,559 Posts
    • 165,548 Thanks
    beanielou
    Great result Squigggly

Weigh in later.
    We will see.
    On reflection maybe not the best of weeks.
    Sometimes life gets in the way.
    Was out for a good friends birthday in the week & we went for high tea which was very yummy.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Lois Lane
    • By Lois Lane 18th May 17, 9:10 AM
    • 3,434 Posts
    • 14,265 Thanks
    Lois Lane
    I drank far too much prosecco on Saturday night, and ate 3 slices of pizza. I'm gonna try harder this week.
    Originally posted by shipr!!!95
    Just having a quick catch up before I go and hang out some washing, and noticed the profanity filter has put !!! in Shiprob's user name - for the life of me I can't see what could possibly be profane about it, anyone else know?

Back soon with a proper post.

LL
    Start BMI - 38.7 Current BMI - 31.2 Target BMI - 26.3
    • Ruthy1604
    • By Ruthy1604 18th May 17, 9:40 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 4,983 Thanks
    Ruthy1604
    WI day for me today. Not been a great week so I'm expecting a gain or a STS really.

Todays plan is:
    B Hifi Bar
    L SW quiche & salad. Fruit & FF Yog
    D Depends on how WI goes.
    HexA - Milk in tea
    HExB - Hifi bar and ??

I really don't drink enough water - do others find that it helps with weight loss? I think it was Bubbs that said it had helped.

PS Massive thanks for the quiche recipe up thread (sorry I cant remember who it was). Mine has mushroom, onion, broccoli, green beans and cherry tomatoes. DH was upset that it wasn't for his tea!
    10lb to lose & keep off in 2017 4.5lb/10lb
    Save 12K in 2017 Number 74 £9845/£30000
    • Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 18th May 17, 10:44 AM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 11,772 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    Just having a quick catch up before I go and hang out some washing, and noticed the profanity filter has put !!! in Shiprob's user name - for the life of me I can't see what could possibly be profane about it, anyone else know?

Back soon with a proper post.

LL
    Originally posted by Lois Lane
    I wondered exactly the same thing,and meant to look it up on Urban Dictionary,but by the time I had finished readign the thread,and posted my own menu for the day,I had forgotten.Feeling nosey now,so will have a look.......

• Saver-upper
    • By Saver-upper 18th May 17, 10:58 AM
    • 1,541 Posts
    • 11,772 Thanks
    Saver-upper
    I wondered exactly the same thing,and meant to look it up on Urban Dictionary,but by the time I had finished reading the thread,and posted my own menu for the day,I had forgotten.Feeling nosey now,so will have a look.......
    Originally posted by Saver-upper
    Yeah,found it

Despite the fact that poster's name is clearly "ship r o b 195",filters have read it as obi.I had to read through 7 definitions, (the belt of a kimino,stalking on fb,etc) to find the one that MSE thinks of

• chocolateteddy
    • By chocolateteddy 18th May 17, 11:37 AM
    • 503 Posts
    • 3,197 Thanks
    chocolateteddy
    2 1/2 lbs LossYay at last my 2 stone award Did a food diary again this week and my consultant having looked at last weeks can't see anything wrong with it. So glad I persevered this week. Now to do it again next week. Rice pudding is in the slow cooker and stirfry for dinner so plenty of speed in that.
    Thanks to MSE savings we got to go to Disneyworld Florida.

Slimming World Target - Lose 60 lbs
    Journey started 14th Nov 2016
    Weight loss to date 27 lbs
    • LynnMac
    • By LynnMac 18th May 17, 11:54 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    LynnMac
    Hi I was going to slimmming World last year and lost a bit, got a bit discouraged after may a week of maintaining. I am hoping to get back on the bandwagon and would appreciate any tips to help along the way. Thank you
    • kathrynha
    • By kathrynha 18th May 17, 2:07 PM
    • 1,392 Posts
    • 6,095 Thanks
    kathrynha
    Congrats on the loss and your 2 stone award Chocolate Teddy and welcome LynnMac.

Back from the work event, and I ate a little but proud of how restrained I was. Definitely well within my allowed syns. Now just need to keep it up till bedtime.
    Weight loss start date: 3rd January 2017
    Weight loss total: 45.5 lb
    Last updated: 11th July 2017
    • maman
    • By maman 18th May 17, 2:42 PM
    • 16,236 Posts
    • 96,928 Thanks
    maman
    on your loss and your shiny teddy. Possibly you did absolutely nothing wrong last week but you just don't always lose week on week. It happens. What matters is just try not to let it get to you. It's so disheartening when you don't lose when you've been on plan.

Welcome lynn. Just post any questions you have, read along with us and if it helps post your menus too. I post mine every day as it helps me and hopefully gives ideas to others.

PS Massive thanks for the quiche recipe up thread (sorry I cant remember who it was). Mine has mushroom, onion, broccoli, green beans and cherry tomatoes. DH was upset that it wasn't for his tea!
    Originally posted by Ruthy1604

Funnily enough my DH saw it in the kitchen and put an extra mat on the table thinking it was another side dish. I told him he wouldn't like it! If it's the cottage cheese one it was tweets that posted the recipe and a pic.

I've been for an hour's walk this morning so doing better than usual on the exercise front this week. Hopefully I've walked off some of last night's chips. I keep thinking that I quite often have chips in pubs but these were extra naughty from the chippy so felt more synful. I can't remember the last time I went to a chippy.

Not much Speed left today before tomorrow's shop. I plan to roast all the bits and pieces I have in the fridge alongside the fish. I've got some LO cabbage to stir in the mash with a couple of spring onions to make a colcannon type thing. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Today's EE plan:
    B: NAS grapefruit, HEB porage with HEA milk
    L: JP with cottage cheese and beetroot
    D: baked haddock, roast veg (mushroom, tomato, onion, peppers), mash
    Syns: squirt of syrup
    • curl girl
    • By curl girl 18th May 17, 2:51 PM
    • 1,748 Posts
    • 16,988 Thanks
    curl girl
    Well done chocolateteddy 2 stone is brilliant.

I did really well last week but I'm really hungry this week wanting carbs and heavy foods.
    curl girl with a space - even though there is no space in my cupboards!!!
    • lantanna
    • By lantanna 18th May 17, 3:11 PM
    • 2,546 Posts
    • 18,798 Thanks
    lantanna
    Currently comfort eating my way through life, Greggs for lunch yesterday, McDonalds for dinner last night, KFC for lunch today, wine for dinner tonight.
    That is the frame of mind. Rejection is probably harder to take when you hate the job you are in or are unemployed. Could hardly get out of the car this morning without two people coming to yap at me.

I'll sicken myself at some point and snap out of it. Or if not I'll force myself to draw a line on MOnday.

Didn't weigh in this morning either was too scared too.
    Thanks for all the support etc. It just actually seems that I am never getting out of here - despite trying and trying! Seems I cant get any sort of job never mind the really good ones!

Was thinking as well last night, 2 years ago I had my weight totally in control and now I've thrown that away as well. This year all I've done is get closer and closer to my starting point.

I'll dig some CBT out of the archives and do that tonight - hopefully it might turn me into a normal, rational, half wise person that I am not at the minute.
    3 stone 13.5 lbs to target

• maman
    • By maman 18th May 17, 4:57 PM
    • 16,236 Posts
    • 96,928 Thanks
    maman

I'll sicken myself at some point and snap out of it.

I'll dig some CBT out of the archives and do that tonight - hopefully it might turn me into a normal, rational, half wise person that I am not at the minute.
    Originally posted by lantanna
    Perhaps the way back starts tonight?
    • greentiger
    • By greentiger 18th May 17, 6:18 PM
    • 1,891 Posts
    • 13,677 Thanks
    greentiger
    Felt sorry for Southampton last night, maman – such a pity that penalty was saved. Sorry tweets.

Aw, that’s a shame, lantanna. Their loss. As others have said, they’re too uncaring to be decent employers.

Congrats on getting the job, Squiggly. The hard work starts in September.lol!

Great result, chocolateteddy.

Hello, LynnMac. There are lots of wise and helpful people here!
    Stashbusting 114
    /200

17 in 17 Challenge 11/17
    Reading Challenge 12/40
    Film Challenge 25/52
    • candyapple
    • By candyapple 18th May 17, 6:27 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 4,108 Thanks
    candyapple
    Yeah,found it

Despite the fact that poster's name is clearly "ship r o b 195",filters have read it as obi.I had to read through 7 definitions, (the belt of a kimino,stalking on fb,etc) to find the one that MSE thinks of
    Originally posted by Saver-upper
    Urban dictionary can make anything rude! It had me stumped as well, I've not long finished reading Memoirs of a geisha so to me obi only means one thing (and def not that which UD thinks it is )

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,263Posts Today

8,392Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin