Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • misstara
    • By misstara 28th Apr 17, 11:16 PM
    • 2,481Posts
    • 17,330Thanks
    misstara
    May the (NST) force be with you
    • 28th Apr 17, 11:16 PM
    May the (NST) force be with you 28th Apr 17 at 11:16 PM
    MoneySavingExpert Insert:

For anyone new joining in, this is a No Spend Day challenge

See misstara's challenge info below...

------

Welcome to May's NST challenge . Star Wars day is May 4th but other than the title, this is not going to be Star Wars themed challenge I'm afraid

I love May, it's my birthday month so obviously a fab month but it always feels as though spring is properly underway and turning into summer (I'll say nothing about the snow we had earlier this week!), days are continuing to get longer and everyone just seems a little happier. This month, I would like everyone to post daily gratitudes. I find it definitely helps my mood thinking about what I'm grateful for.

EE asked us all to get out in the garden last month and I'd like to continue this for May. Anyone without a garden, try to spend a short while outdoors each day and get some vitamin D.

We are now a third of the way through the year. For those of you who have been following this challenge for a while, in January I asked everyone to set goals for the year. I would like everyone to review those goals and see how much progress has been made. My goals for this year were to become debt free and run a 10k. I did a 10k run last weekend but debt busting has not gone so well. The debt continues to go down but I certainly haven't paid off a third of what I owe since January. In order to motivate myself, I am going to set myself a stretch target for this month and ask that you all do the same.

Usual rules also apply
    - challenge runs from 1st May to 31st May
    - aim for at least 16 NSDs
    - pay to your debt/savings first
    - post daily if you can
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 04-05-2017 at 1:19 PM.
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1239.95 (46.2% paid)
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £748.10 (6.2% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 0/60
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 0/6, Gym 1/6 Groceries target £38.05/£200. NSD target 5/15.
Page 14
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 17th May 17, 1:24 PM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 18,656 Thanks
    Calling14
    foxholes - still dry here so far in North Wales.
    Left the washing daggled over dining room chairs, nearly dry from being out yesterday. No tumble dryer so that's not an option.
    Sorry to hear about your friend and hope funeral goes well. It does spur you onto give blood I started after my sister in law had ovarian cancer and was having a ridiculous amount of blood transfusions. It does take usually about an hour including waiting time here but hey you get biccies and tea after and last time had a lovely hunk to sit by me.

Spent today - bought a second hand hifi system a while back but it didn't have a aerial with it, so DAB radio never worked. - so good old ebay hopefully found right one. Whilst I was in spendy mode bought a DAB radio, for my kitchen from Amazon, not too expensive as I had some survey vouchers to use up.

Nothing else to report. Staying away from shops doesn't look like I can get out for a walk this lunchtime, waiting for clients house completion money to go through as they are waiting with van outside the property. Stupid way we transfer property really !
    LBM 13039 1.1.13 NOW £990
    PAYDBX 2017 #16 £3310 /£4300 DFD 12/17
    E
    Fund #9 £100/£1,000
    1 x 100 days challenge £1567/2000 ends 29/12/17

• misstara
    • By misstara 17th May 17, 3:34 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 17,330 Thanks
    misstara
    Today would have been a NSD except I forgot to lift my lunch out of the fridge this morning and as I was at training, I couldn't raid my drawer/staff fridge for supplies so £3.95 spent on a sandwich and crisps.

Today I'm grateful for training being finished earlier than expected, a generally nice day, not having to do any cleaning when I get home as OH has done it, for getting a good sleep last night, a friend organising a catch up to look forward to next month and pad thai which is planned for tea.
    Car debt Nov 2017 £797.68 Now £748.10 (6.2% paid) + monthly payments £146.82 0/60
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 0/6, Gym 1/6 Groceries target £38.05/£200. NSD target 5/15.
    • SkintTeacher
    • By SkintTeacher 17th May 17, 4:21 PM
    • 326 Posts
    • 1,881 Thanks
    SkintTeacher
    nsd 6 today
    Spoilt yesterday's with a rubbish pointless spend on a frys Turkish delight. *slaps forehead *
    • x_raphael_xx
    • By x_raphael_xx 17th May 17, 7:19 PM
    • 3,421 Posts
    • 17,282 Thanks
    x_raphael_xx
    Tiny spend of £6 today.

NSDs - 10/20.
    Go outside - The weather brightened after work, so me and the pup had a dry stroll round the park.
    Daily gratitudes - An efficient day at work.
    Debt Free as of 17/01/2009 Turtle Power!!
    Nov NSD's - /25 / Lose weight 29.0 lbs / 30lbs
    EF Challenger #36 £900/£5050
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 17th May 17, 8:14 PM
    • 6,636 Posts
    • 48,659 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for my counselling session, for big sis paying us an overnight visit, for getting some money matters sorted, for enjoying the uphill walk I do after counselling (for anyone with a fitbit, it is about 35 floors), for having leftovers for both lunch and tea, for dd's tennis club managing to be outside for 45 mins before the rain arrived, for having time to get on with my moderating and marking, for dd having a good day at school, for photos of baby O, for being inside and out of the rain - it always makes me wonder where homeless people go...
    NST DDD#1; NSD 4/15; Ex 2/12; craft 11/30 (267); remove /31 (601)
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3708/£4050; 2
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • pippy1971
    • By pippy1971 17th May 17, 8:45 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 862 Thanks
    pippy1971
    NSD #6

Had a long day at work so managed to avoid the shops completely. We had training after school finished so didn't get in until 6.30. OH had to take a half-day off to pick our daughter up. When I got home not much had been done, but they had been fed, so at least I didn't have to do that. Have some tidying up to do and then I'll do some surveys.

I plan to spend the weekend working on the budget as I have an expensive month coming up. OH has about £100 he needs to spend on the car, daughter has her birthday, we are going to France for the weekend of her birthday and my 'genius' idea of switching broadband supplier has landed us with a big first month bill of upfront costs - connection fee included. Not the great deal it appeared. So every penny counts this month. Have £40 cash back on it's way and some overtime due this month, but even so it'll be tight.

Hoping for a change in the weather so I can get some clothes on the line instead of in the drier. Am going to do a detailed meal planner and batch cook / bake as I had been going a bit mad with the grocery shopping too.

No exercise planned for today.

Today I'm grateful for kind people, NSD #6 and lovely children who always make me smile.....
    NST June 2017: Jiggle Free June ..number 18
    The 365 day penny challenge £49.89
    1 debt vs 100 days challenge 26... #2
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 17th May 17, 9:02 PM
    • 4,117 Posts
    • 22,841 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    Managed a NSD on Tues and another one today taking me up to 8 for the month so far.

Today I am grateful for:
    1. My daughter went up a set in maths and in the latest test she has come out top with 96%!!!
    2. My seeds are starting to become seedlings and my lettuce seeds sprinkled in an old pot are looking good already.
    3. The changing British weather - its never the wrong weather, just the wrong clothes!!
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 15 for November
    NSD - 1/15
    (up to 01/11/17)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 18th May 17, 11:25 AM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 18,656 Thanks
    Calling14
    Morning turtles, have you all slept in today.

Today will be another spendy day. My neighbour is starting doing reiki? I have no idea what it is so said give it a go for a donation and need few bits food.

Made a major decision today well for me, some may think stupid one but hey ho, here it is. I have about 7 yrs plus left on my mortgage, one of my bosses wants to retire in 4yrs time so decided to use my credit card tartness and borrow 2.5k 0% until next yr to pay towards it. That way it will reduce the term. I have about 28K left on it so I can only overpay 10% a year. Anyway transferred cash now to my bank account so I could always go on holiday instead lol. Anyone ever done anything this mad?

Bit nervous about increasing my cc again but never defaulted on payments and always pay more than minimum payments.

Stupid or not??

Anyway might ease my worrying if left on scrap heap in 4 yrs time with no job. I plan to try and do same each year.

Besides that
    Grateful for
    DAB radio now working thanks to aerial purchase.
    Off this afternoon - trip to co op and a walk planned.
    My garden looking spectacular, never seen all the bushes flowering at the same time.
    E
    Fund #9 £100/£1,000

• Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 18th May 17, 4:33 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 9,646 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Wasn't out yesterday or today. Housework yesterday and today son has had two impacted wisdom teeth removed so is at present upstairs trying to recover. I can't leave him on his own for a until anaesthetic wears off. Poor wee soul is feeling really bad and probably won't be able to eat properly for about a week (plus side is he'll loose some of the weight which piled on whilst he was taking the anxiety/depression medication). Another plus is that his father took him to hospital and brought him back and was very nice to me and asked if I would phone to let him know how the boy is. First time he's been nice to me in twenty years! It's an ill wind.
    Apart from that above boy next door have hurt his foot whilst riding his bike his brother has tissue damage following a football incident and the 3 year old has nasty cut on her head whilst falling over singing karioke, They'll all be fine so plodding along as normal (or as normal as it can be around here!}
    Have a good weekend,
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 18th May 17, 5:43 PM
    • 3,374 Posts
    • 28,943 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Sorry for my quiet-ness at the moment. Just really busy and not really feeling the love as I'm so run down with work.
    Trying to keep up with my gratitudes though - and today I'm grateful for:
    My students thinking the chemistry exam was ok
    Being home from work by 5pm
    RYSAW17 #1 £1313.42 20p Savers #88 £1 a day for Xmas # DFD 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 18th May 17, 7:51 PM
    • 6,636 Posts
    • 48,659 Thanks
    apple muncher
    abundant - do make time to read Contented Dementia allthe way through. I promise you that is is worth the effort.

Today, I am grateful for primarni offering up some socks for both me and dd (23 pairs for £10 ish), for plenty of walking, for it being warm, for my waterproof, for dd being 'sportsperson of the day' for the 2nd week running, for getting some work marking done at work, for my new paleo chicken recipe turning out ok, for my lovely dh, for a day off to look forward to tomorrow, for my big sis.
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • misstara
    • By misstara 18th May 17, 10:38 PM
    • 2,481 Posts
    • 17,330 Thanks
    misstara
    Another NSD here so that's me now up to 12 I think. Today I'm grateful for lots of sunshine, a busy day being over and a good chat with my parents.

I've got a day off tomorrow so the plan is to go for a run, potter about the garden and then tea out with friends in the evening.
    Mini Targets
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 18th May 17, 11:02 PM
    • 2,182 Posts
    • 22,330 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Sorry for being absent, having a bit of a roller coaster week.

Congratulations on being credit card debt free abundant - no backsliding this time.

Not a lot of sleep on Tuesday night. Felt like death warmed up but went to crafts because sewing had been mentioned the week before and a couple of people had kept asking anxiously if I would be there. Plans had changed - the person who has led the sessions since they started has been absent for the last two weeks (think she is over committed on hours on other parts of her job), neither of the 2 people who have deputised in recent weeks was there. However was relaxing and fun and I had a lovely beef sandwich - keep being tempted by their hot food but they have run out whenever I decide that eating there is the best option.

Fell asleep after crafts but still expected to sleep last night - did not happen. At 4 am I bowed to the inevitable and made an effort to tidy the bed - wanted to pay some of my Council Tax bill and needed the debit card in my purse, spurred on by realising I needed mum's keys for today (also in the purse, as were the stamps - DS3 dropped his completed self-assessment form on my bed and told me it needed a stamp and then posting). Paid Council tax.

Followed by 5am - morning pills and tackling the washing up mountain
    6 am - washing pegged out on line, two wraps made and eaten, ran bath
    7am - dressed and then packed bag for today.
    9am - decided not to try and squeeze in visit to doctor's but then did 3 small errands before local history.

Running on diet coke with caffeine included all day but feeling okay saying I have now been awake for more than 24 hours. Taxi from local history to mum's. Shortened the curtains that are up at the window (similar to mine and DS3's and much better than the ones I have been struggling with) and delivered the nighties I bought last week.

Mum has asked if I can take her to an appointment next Tuesday (I need to book the taxi). This appointment might decide if she has to go into hospital. She has now accepted that this is going to happen - partner would have to go into care at that point (mum seemed to be suggesting that if it were only for a day or two, he might not have to).

She also raised the idea of me becoming her carer (meals, washing and hospital visits, someone else would carry on doing the cleaning) so need to think about that - running there and back each day several times might finish me off atm.

Carer who put partner to bed noticed he had taken/ lost the lens out of his glasses. I found it in his daycare bag so it must have happened whilst he was there. So first thing tomorrow (if I can wake up) I have to see if my optician will put a new screw in then either take them back or make arrangements with the daughter who cleans to take them when she goes - possibility of my visit to the doctor' is disappearring over the horizon.

So a few gratitdes owing-
    thinking about getting a few ready meals in. Stop beating yourselves up about giving in to the odd takeaway or buying lunch. I am struggling with food atm and I have a much lighter workload than many of you. I think the no takeaways/ vending machines/ coofee shops rule is a good one and was always strictly enforced by Kat. However having a few shop bought meals in to supplement my home made ones and as an alternative to sandwiches (for every meal?) is far cheaper than takeaway or shop bought lunches.

Spent a few of the sleepless hours trying to think of anything to get myself a little ahead of the game and that might help and I am glad that as I am debt free it is an option (although I think that sometimes you get so stressed that you settle guiltily for the takeaway even though you know it makes things worse in the long run.

My new socks (dog ones) are a bit weird. They are mostly black and the dog pattern is on the underside of the sock. I have decide to embrace this and rejoice in the knowledge that whilst the world sees sober black socks, only I know there are pink poodles under my feet - a strange sort of super power (hidden poodles/ dachshunds etc).

I am loving the sewing I am doing atm. I promise to post pictures of the cushion and my grand-chinchillas as soon as I learn how to take the photos and post them on here. It isn't helping with the sleepless nights - I just keep wanting to do a bit more and then more, but it is joyful.

For a lovely chat with Beloved yesterday (I think). She was asking my advice on a personal topic and whether she should mention the subject to her parents before or after - she had a blazing row with them at the weekend as all 3 of their daughters are now on anti-depressants and they only seem interested in the welfare of the 'child from hell' and will do nothing to protect the others from his attacks (or find ways of tackling his behaviour). Advised her to gather information, may have to have counselling and they might suggest discussing it with her parents as a 'mature option'.

Continued support from the turtle gang - sorry I am not fully participating atm. Not at all sure where I am with this month's challenge but will keep plodding and treading water and doing what I can to improve my situation.

TED talks - gathered lots of helpful tips including managing to work when demotivated and exhausted and 'every day is a gift and unique' plus eliminating the words 'entitled' and 'deserve' from your vocabulary. Watched the life giving magic of not giving a **** one. Also a lovely but slightly weird one on how to get what you really want (gather a large group of people together, get them to say what they really want, someone in the group will know someone who knows someone. It's well worth a watch but if you don't have time, the speaker had started out in a small therapy group where the most unlovely male member (of the group, get your minds out of the gutter) was given a makeover, then they gave his flat a makeover, then they found him a woman. Having achieved the seemingly impossible in their small group they then expanded to larger gatherings and making 'impossible dreams' and 'wildest wishes' come true.

Good reading material. Probably using it to escape from real life too often but have had some lovely books. Currntly reading a book set in a factory in the sixties where a student is doing a holiday job and one of the 'Game of Thrones' books which takes the narrative a bit further on - the book and the serialisation have divergent story lines and I saw none of the last series, but this moves on from what I have already read. Trouble is, it's so good that at times I am fighting to stay awake to read a little further.

Thankful that I still hope to sleep soon and that once I have sorted out mum's partner's spectacles (plus possible doctor visit/ buy ready meals/ healthy food and booked the taxi for Tuesday, I have 3 (maybe 3 and a half) days when I can please myself and have no timetable.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Dec #4 SFD 5/15 Food £34/£100 Travel £4.30/£50 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£60 Xmas £24.75/£60 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 409/2017
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 19th May 17, 7:00 AM
    • 1,094 Posts
    • 8,076 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Made a major decision today well for me, some may think stupid one but hey ho, here it is. I have about 7 yrs plus left on my mortgage, one of my bosses wants to retire in 4yrs time so decided to use my credit card tartness and borrow 2.5k 0% until next yr to pay towards it. That way it will reduce the term. I have about 28K left on it so I can only overpay 10% a year. Anyone ever done anything this mad?
    Originally posted by Calling14
    I was reading 's Money Diet in the car waiting for the kids to come out of school (charity shop 25p), and the 0%cc mortgage overpayment thing is in there, so if you are organised and can do it, you are saving yourself a whole year's interest payment at the same time as knocking the year off the term. Go you!
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • Jo Blogs
    • By Jo Blogs 19th May 17, 7:58 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 2,595 Thanks
    Jo Blogs
    Good morning everyone

Great going with all the NSDs and super posts

Today is NSD No.18 here - been rushed off my feet, so no time to spend

Wishing you all a blessed NSDay!
    Saved Nitty Gritty £7440.75 [149%] / £5000-[Sep] £58.44 for the 'Save 12k in 2017' #157
    2017 Womble #35 £3463.27 Sept NSDs 4/15CCCChl 9/12 months
    Sept PPChl#002 Pts 71
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 19th May 17, 10:45 AM
    • 821 Posts
    • 6,205 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Well,I've completely lost the plot.Know I have had plenty of NSDs and still have a decent amount of money in my purse.Something must be right. Never seem to get round to posting anymore,so will just lurk for the time being if nobody minds.

ilovetea xx
    £2017 in 2017. #2 £1,511.20
    • Calling14
    • By Calling14 19th May 17, 11:43 AM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 18,656 Thanks
    Calling14
    Well,I've completely lost the plot.Know I have had plenty of NSDs and still have a decent amount of money in my purse.Something must be right. Never seem to get round to posting anymore,so will just lurk for the time being if nobody minds.

ilovetea xx
    Originally posted by ilovetea
    Lurk away
    E
    Fund #9 £100/£1,000

• Calling14
    • By Calling14 19th May 17, 11:51 AM
    • 2,515 Posts
    • 18,656 Thanks
    Calling14
    I was reading 's Money Diet in the car waiting for the kids to come out of school (charity shop 25p), and the 0%cc mortgage overpayment thing is in there, so if you are organised and can do it, you are saving yourself a whole year's interest payment at the same time as knocking the year off the term. Go you!
    Originally posted by f0xh0les
    Thanks foxholes I paid off 2500 so reduces my term by 9 months. Can overpay up to 400 anytime again this year, need to start saving harder

Really pleased I have done this just need to adjust my cc debts now and increase my monthly payments.

Today will be a SFD. Nothing needed, will get milk over weekend.

Yesterday just spent 6 pounds in coop. Got their meal deal/ bread - junky food but sometimes its fun to have. Gs will love it with a film night.

Neighbour got dates muddled up so Reiki postponed until next week

Have a great weekend and enjoy the sun folks
    E
    Fund #9 £100/£1,000

• Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 19th May 17, 4:22 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 9,646 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    I've just been pottering around the house keeping an eye on the boy. He's actually been much better than I thought. His mouth/jaw is very sore and he can't eat a lot because of the pain. I've just made him some chicken and rice soup for lunch and C brought him in some yogurt and ice cream whilst he was out for a walk. Got a lovely surprise. Son bought me a rice/slow cooker as a present. It arrived today. Can't wait to get in to some of the recipes.
    Have a good weekend.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 19th May 17, 8:32 PM
    • 6,636 Posts
    • 48,659 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Today I am grateful for having a PO within 10 mins walk, for finding a specific sort of plaster, for dh doing the food shop, for the 'old' Sherlock with Jeremy Brett, for my workout, for the robins who play in our garden, for tomorrow's planned day out (possibly very muddy but should be great fun), for the new socks feeling lovely on my feet, for my knitting, for having enough.
    017 sell 351

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,984Posts Today

8,711Users online

Martin's Twitter