Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 111KAB
    • By 111KAB 28th Apr 17, 3:50 PM
    • 3,637Posts
    • 1,478Thanks
    111KAB
    Multi-fuel stove - fan advise please
    • 28th Apr 17, 3:50 PM
    Multi-fuel stove - fan advise please 28th Apr 17 at 3:50 PM
    I have a double sided double (glass) door multi fuel stove. The stove sits between a living room and double height hall. The living room tends to get very hot when the stove is fuelled up whereas the hall area is a lot cooler.

I cannot move the stove due to the built in register plate/chimney liner so that it is biased towards the hall and therefore I am considering purchasing a stove fan - or possibly two.

The problem is I'm just not sure if these fans work with a double sided set-up as all the literature I have read suggests locating the fan away from the flue (ok) with the fan positioned to the rear of the stove against the rear wall. I don't have a stove rear or a rear wall.

Constructive comment appreciated and any suggestions as to manufacturer appreciated.
Page 1
    • firefox1956
    • By firefox1956 28th Apr 17, 4:56 PM
    • 1,267 Posts
    • 711 Thanks
    firefox1956
    • 28th Apr 17, 4:56 PM
    • 28th Apr 17, 4:56 PM
    Your answer might be to borrow one & see if it does what you want it to ??
    I have one but I have a back wall to my stove.
    HTH
    • viper501
    • By viper501 2nd Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    viper501
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    Use a thermometer
    • 2nd Oct 17, 4:33 PM
    The fan is ideally located towards the back of the stove as it isn't as hot there. It needs to have a gap at the back of around 150mm to allow for cold air to circulate and get to the fan in order for the thermoelectric process to work.

Placing a fan in the middle of your stove should be absolutely fine, I would, however, suggest you purchase a thermometer as each stove fan has a maximum working temperature and if it's not towards the back of the stove you can at least keep an eye on the temperature that way.

I personally like Galleon 4 blade, you can read all about it in this review as it comes with a thermometer.

toolsreview.uk/stove-fan-review-best-budget/
    • Skulls
    • By Skulls 3rd Oct 17, 4:30 AM
    • 358 Posts
    • 2,411 Thanks
    Skulls
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:30 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 4:30 AM
    Try putting one right at the front pointing backwards, towards the hall. It will still be pulling cooler air from behind it. If it works put one on both fronts pointing back. Not in line with each other. If the one on lounge side is on the left put the one pointing the other way on the right, when looking from the same point.
    • DaftyDuck
    • By DaftyDuck 9th Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    • 3,753 Posts
    • 7,574 Thanks
    DaftyDuck
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 2:01 PM
    Where is the airflow fed into the stove? Assuming it has an open vent, is this drawing colder air into the hall, leaving the room and uncirculated? If the stove is equipped for direct air feed, this could help.

A fan works fine on a double sided stove. You could play around to get the best position. But, it will still only help the circulation that should be there anyway.

Is the room door also into the same hall? Is it possible to use a slow, quiet room can there instead?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

68Posts Today

2,931Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin