Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 28th Apr 17, 1:54 PM
    • 7,871Posts
    • 4,693Thanks
    teddysmum
    Plusnet price rises
    • 28th Apr 17, 1:54 PM
    Plusnet price rises 28th Apr 17 at 1:54 PM
    It looks as though PlusNet are increasing the price of either broadband or line (who knows nowadays?) from June, together with other 'wonderful' changes,so as i' m such a good customer they are offering me fibre and line for £27.99 (£28.99 from June), but I'm such a good customer that they don't know we can't get fibre and that I'm in a pre paid line contract.

it's not long since the last price rise under the guise of offering the 'benefit' of combined prices.
Page 4
    • phillw
    • By phillw 16th May 17, 7:44 PM
    • 611 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    phillw
    I doubt that you can leave either without penalty, as you will not have a price rise. Your line is prepaid so fixed for 12 months (ie beyond the cut off date for leaving because of a rise) and your broadband is not due to rise.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    I have line rental saver until the end of the year and free broadband. I phoned them up to confirm as their email on what was changing was pretty vague

"These changes are happening from the 29th June:

You’ll still save at least £30 a year with our Line Rental Saver (compared to the standard price of monthly line rental). Once your Line Rental Saver expires, you can choose to renew or pay monthly line rental. Line Rental Saver is increasing from £185.88 to £197.88 (equivalent of £16.49 a month) and monthly line rental is increasing from £17.99 to £18.99 a month.
    Your Line Rental still includes free calls to other Plusnet Home Phone customers.
    The cost of your broadband isn’t changing."

The first guy told me that everyone has a change, he transferred me to someone else who told me that the call setup charge was increasing by 2p. There is no reference to this in the email they sent, which sounds kinda illegal.

They did however put in an email that I could leave penalty free.

"We�re sorry you�ve decided to leave us because of the changes we�ve made to our home phone pricing and call rates. As agreed, because you�ve told us within 30 days of receiving the email we won�t be applying any early termination charges."

My situation will not change as line rental is prepaid, so fixed, by ADSL is free and has no price rise anyway and I have an Anytime call package, where the only rise would have been if I had an international calls bolt on.
    Originally posted by teddysmum
    The Anytime call package doesn't cover calls to all numbers, are you sure the call setup increase doesn't affect the ones it doesn't cover?

According to:

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7693-price-rises-at-plusnet-and-latest-broadband-offers

The headline changes are:

Line rental rise of £1/m from £17.99 to £18.99
    Line rental saver will now be £197.88, giving a monthly equivalent of £16.49/m
    New fair usage limit of 150 calls or 1000 minutes (whichever limit is reached first) will apply to call plans that have inclusive 0845 and 0870 calls
    Call setup fee rises 2p to 21p
    Calls to mobiles rise from 12.54 pence per minute to 14.65 pence per minute
    Anytime International 300 call plans will now cost £8/month
    Only applying to existing customers, Anytime, Plusnet Anytime and Talk Anytime call plans will increase from £6.50 to £7/m.

The fair usage limit on 0845 & 0870 calls & the mobile call rise jumps out to me. You can pay extra for 100 minutes of mobiles, but obviously outside those 100 minutes you're paying the new rate.
    Last edited by phillw; 16-05-2017 at 8:05 PM.
    • gener8or
    • By gener8or 16th May 17, 10:54 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    gener8or
    Cancellation Woes
    Gave notice to cancel without issues due the the increases.

Due to move to BT Friday, Plusnet cut my circuit off today. Called them up and they couldn't understand it as the cease date isn't until Friday. Waiting for a call back tomorrow.

Not impressed with Plusnet, now connected to a neighbours BTWifi using my new BT account.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 17th May 17, 10:09 PM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 4,693 Thanks
    teddysmum
    That part about Anytime going up to £7 from £6.50 is odd, unless it refers to legacy customers from way back, as I have paid £8 since joining last October.

The rise won't affect me unless my husband chats over the 60 minute level ,which he did last month by a few pence, as I only use the inclusive numbers.
    • charltonfan1
    • By charltonfan1 18th May 17, 1:39 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    charltonfan1
    As an existing Plusnet customer I was about to move into new build and had paid Plusnet £115 to setup a new phone line at the property.

So instead i have ordered a new fibre BT connection, paying £128 for the next 12 months (after TCB £80 and BT £200 reward)and they will install the new line free. Cancelled my PN service getting my £115 back and my line rental saver pro rata returned to me, only paying a £30 line cessation fee to PN.

Should get better speeds from BT also as was capped at 40MB with PN
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 18th May 17, 4:41 PM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 4,693 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I've had the second call in three weeks, from PlusNet, offering to 'check [I'm] on the cheapest package'.

When mentioned this, the young man checked my account and even named the person who rang last time and was told it was not possible to decrease my internet cost as it's free, along with prepaid line rental.

I wonder if they are getting worried about numbers leaving.
    • Tyler Durden UK
    • By Tyler Durden UK 18th May 17, 8:45 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    Tyler Durden UK
    I got the price rise email and off the back of that set the wheels in motion to switch to BT. PN have emailed me to say I owe £128 in early termination charges. Anyone else get the same ?
    • Aletank
    • By Aletank 19th May 17, 6:46 AM
    • 504 Posts
    • 165 Thanks
    Aletank
    I got the price rise email and off the back of that set the wheels in motion to switch to BT. PN have emailed me to say I owe £128 in early termination charges. Anyone else get the same ?
    Originally posted by Tyler Durden UK
    A few posts here saying you should of contacted Plusnet 1st to let them know you leaving because of the price rise as they then put a note on your account.
    Probably best to give them a call, let us know how you get on
    • anactuary
    • By anactuary 19th May 17, 6:18 PM
    • 624 Posts
    • 158 Thanks
    anactuary
    Has anyone managed to negotiate a decent deal with Plusnet to stay? My minimum term runs out in 3 months anyway but if they are trying to keep people now, I'll give it a go.
    • Tyler Durden UK
    • By Tyler Durden UK 20th May 17, 11:33 AM
    • 662 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    Tyler Durden UK
    A few posts here saying you should of contacted Plusnet 1st to let them know you leaving because of the price rise as they then put a note on your account.
    Probably best to give them a call, let us know how you get on
    Originally posted by Aletank
    I spoke to them via online chat and was told I won't be charged, have the transcript / screen grab so should be good. Also told them to put notification of me leaving on my account. The transfer to new service is over 14 days away so hopefully ok.
    • Broadwood
    • By Broadwood 21st May 17, 8:46 PM
    • 599 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    Broadwood
    Has anyone managed to negotiate a decent deal with Plusnet to stay? My minimum term runs out in 3 months anyway but if they are trying to keep people now, I'll give it a go.
    Originally posted by anactuary
    Yes - see my post #17 of "Sky Broadband MSE offer" thread below.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5651307
    Last edited by Broadwood; 21-05-2017 at 8:49 PM.
    Studying at The University of Life.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 22nd May 17, 4:23 PM
    • 7,871 Posts
    • 4,693 Thanks
    teddysmum

Originally posted by Broadwood

That's slightly better than what I'm paying (£15.49 line,ADSL free, anytime calls with mobile £8; total £23.49 plus99p for caller display) but I'm not going to haggle to be stuck with them for 18 more months. I'll be happy to leave in October, when my 12 months are up.
    • Scrounger
    • By Scrounger 22nd May 17, 5:39 PM
    • 694 Posts
    • 336 Thanks
    Scrounger

Originally posted by Broadwood
    Similar Sky package using the MSE Sky Deal for just £13.50*/month + £9.95 set-up cost, 12-month contract

* Includes 'anytime calls' half price (£4) if ordered with the initial order (see post #82).

The Sky deal is £9.50 line rental, £4 anytime calls, free caller ID and free broadband.

Scrounger
    • phillw
    • By phillw 24th May 17, 11:19 AM
    • 611 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    phillw
    The Sky deal is £9.50 line rental, £4 anytime calls, free caller ID and free broadband.
    Originally posted by Scrounger
    BT via quidco/topcashback was £208.80 advance line rental, £9.99 router, £5 a month broadband, £150 BT Reward card, £60 cash back.

Which works out at £5.73 a month.

You need to phone/online chat to pay line rental up front as you can only pay online once the line is running and then you could end up with two contracts out of sync.

BT Reward card is now £75 though, but a new offer will appear in a day and a half.

I spoke to them via online chat and was told I won't be charged, have the transcript / screen grab so should be good. Also told them to put notification of me leaving on my account. The transfer to new service is over 14 days away so hopefully ok.
    Originally posted by Tyler Durden UK
    I had the same thing when leaving Talk Talk, I don't know whether they chance their arm or if it's just one of those "computer errors"
    Last edited by phillw; 24-05-2017 at 11:36 AM.
    • bristolleedsfan
    • By bristolleedsfan 29th May 17, 11:02 PM
    • 7,438 Posts
    • 9,605 Thanks
    bristolleedsfan
    only paying a £30 line cessation fee to PN.
    Originally posted by charltonfan1
    Transfer from Plusnet To BT should mean no cessation fee as their is nothing being ceased - Plusnet is owned by BT
    • charltonfan1
    • By charltonfan1 30th May 17, 7:34 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    charltonfan1
    Transfer from Plusnet To BT should mean no cessation fee as their is nothing being ceased - Plusnet is owned by BT
    Originally posted by bristolleedsfan
    I'm moving house so old line ceased under PN and new house new contract with BT.

It avoids the new line connection fees (brand new home) and moving fees PN wanted to impose.

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Byebye! I'm about to stop work & twitter, to instead spend glorious time with Mrs & mini MSE. Wishing u a lovely summer. See u in 10 days.

• WARNING Did you start Uni in or after 2012? The interest's rising to 6.1%; yet it doesnt work like you think. See https://t.co/IQ8f0Vyetu RT

• RT @JanaBeee: @MartinSLewis Boris is the anomaly (coffee), the others are versions of normal (beer). Lots of same candidates = vote share d?

• Follow Martin