Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • OrangeFairy
    • By OrangeFairy 27th Apr 17, 10:14 PM
    • 2,598Posts
    • 8,973Thanks
    OrangeFairy
    *~*~Our house deposit journey.... Orange Fairy gets serious*~*~
    • 27th Apr 17, 10:14 PM
    *~*~Our house deposit journey.... Orange Fairy gets serious*~*~ 27th Apr 17 at 10:14 PM
    Well hello again money saving gurus!

Right I am back and should never have drifted away as we have failed to make the most of our dispaosable income to save for a house deposit.

We need to get back on track!

A quick summary is that we are a married couple in our thirties living in devon with our two daughters aged 14 and 11. We have struggled with debt over our 16 years together but last year shifted the last of it. We rent a house off my uncle so our rent is very low for our area which allows us a good amount of disaposable income. We are both on pretty high wages for Devon and should easily be able to save £1k a month....

Trouble is we haven't been doing that!

The goal for last year was to save £15k and we were doing so well until about September/October. We then started to save just the minimum we had to in the help to buy isas and then we dipped into the other pots for Christmas and an amazing holiday to Iceland in February.

We have also paid out massive amounts for club and school trips and have been out for food a staggering 13 times in the last 2 months! (inc an arranged meal on saturday)

So we need to buckle down and consider the small things to help budget and save more.

Upcoming costs;

Uniform - DD1 goes into year 10 and needs blazers and new PE kit. DD2 starts secondary school so full uniform needed
    Everest - Hubby is doing Everest base camp next year at a cost of £2k
    Car- lease on our car is up in October so we need to arrange another and have deposit ready
    Holiday - looking to do a cheap holiday later in the year or just camp maybe. We need a new tent so are selling household items to save up the cost of a tent
    DD2 trip - £122 left to pay on her trip

Good points

We have a new washing machine and fridge so those aren't going to crop up
    Hubby got a payrise this week which sees him moving up £1200 a year now and a further £1000 when he has completed some goals over the summer
    My payrise though only £500 means another £30 in the pot a month
    DD1 is giving up tap this term which saves us £60 a term and then drops the other two after a dance show she is in later on in the year which saves another £120 a term!

I will post our SOA which shows that we really shouldn't be struggling to save at all so only have ourselves to blame!

The other thing is that I desperately need to lose weight as I am so unhappy as I am and it has really affected my confidence. Hubby needs to train for Everest so Tuesday it starts. Healthy eating and exercise in the form of running, swimming and cycling.

That's me for tonight I think...DD1 is currently in France on a trip and hubby has taken DD2 to watch Fast and Furious 8 which is probably a little irresponsible on a school night but hey ho!

Will catch up tomorrow - it is payday! woohoo!

OF x
    Last edited by OrangeFairy; 27-04-2017 at 10:21 PM.
    Orange Fairy
    House Deposit target = £25000 Saved = £12500
    Sales towards new tent = £80

Page 3
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 1st Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    • 1,895 Posts
    • 12,716 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    So wonderful to see you back OF house was obviously just not meant to be. Know what you mean about constant expense in RL. Looking forward to your updates.
    • OrangeFairy
    • By OrangeFairy 9th Oct 17, 8:06 AM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 8,973 Thanks
    OrangeFairy
    Morning all,

It is the start of a new week.

Work is overwhelming at the moment as I have a lot of pressure on my shoulders so I am hoping things calm down soon.

On the plus side we are off to Greece next weekend so I am very excited by that. Hopefully we shouldn’t spend to much as it is more of a reading books and exploring kind of holiday.

Last week was a small spend week- i only bought lunch once which is good.
    I have listed items for sale on fb - only small bits bringing in £5-£10 but it’s all money.

Any money made is going towards paying for our centerp@rks trip in jan. Only at 35 so far and I have topc@shback of £40 to add to it so it will be great to hit the £100 mark.

I have now sold every item of DDs Lego for them (except the harry p sets as they are undecided with those) When I collect the final bits of money in they will have £190 to share! One item is on fleabay so I know it’s sold but it would be great if it went for more.

Today.....

Work hard
    Dinner at mums
    Check banking
    Reconcile spends
    Pack stuff for holiday to check hand luggage is enough
    Pay bills
    Bump any fb items not selling
    Lunch from stores

I’m starting slimming world again today - not going but following the principles.

So I have pasta with tuna and asparagus with a a boiled egg for lunch then jackets for tea!

Only 3 weeks till we hand our car back which is making me sad. Will save £223 a month minus whatever fee Hubby and his mum have agreed to rent her car for the next 6-12 months!

Watched DD in her last dance show this weekend at the theatre. It was amazing and I am so proud. She is giving up dancing now, she’s 14 and doesn’t enjoy it like she used to. She loves the shows that they do every other year but doesn’t like the year of exams in between. This club costs £120 a term so that’s a saving!

Getting off my bus now so speak soon

OF x
    Orange Fairy

• abba1772
    • By abba1772 9th Oct 17, 11:53 AM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 11,240 Thanks
    abba1772
    My daughter is a similar age and she's unsure if she want to continue her dancing but since she's stoooed due to her class being cancelled her confidence has taken a hit poor wee soul xx

That's a great amount to be saving tho what with the car and dance class payments xx
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 £3572.57 NOW £5364.81
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £4908.50 / £6000
    • OrangeFairy
    • By OrangeFairy 10th Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 8,973 Thanks
    OrangeFairy
    Morning all,

Oh Abba I’m sorry to hear DDs confidence isn’t what it was. I hope that improves soon.

It is a real shame she’s stopping as she’s been going for 10 years and has loved it. It will be great to have free Saturdays thought. She normally goes 1 till 3 so it’s right in the middle of the day!

In sad news DD1’s hamster died yesterday. We brought him home 2 years ago last Friday. It was expected as he was acting funny the day before but still really sad. She sobbed on me for about half an hour :-( Not MSE but I’ll get her some flowers today.

Today

Contact people who said they wanted to buy things but haven’t sorted it out
    Run around after DD2 and netball
    Work hard- plan for work meeting in London tomorrow
    Lunch from stores
    Dinner- spag bol to use up mushrooms and peppers
    Get Fitbit charged to start using again
    Packing for Greece - didn’t do this yesterday
    Check banking
    Pay bills

That’s me I think!

Have a great day all x

OF xx
    Orange Fairy

• OrangeFairy
    • By OrangeFairy 11th Oct 17, 7:22 AM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 8,973 Thanks
    OrangeFairy
    Happy Wednesday everyone!

Yesterday was a loooong day at work and today won’t be much better.

I have a meeting in London with our John L3wis buyers and from my house in Devon it’s a trek! I don’t drive so I have had a 20min walk to the bus (which I’m on now), bus into the next town, jump in a car with my colleague, travel 50mins to Tiverton train station, 2.5 hours on train to London, tube to head office meeting....and the same to come home!
    All for a 1 hour meeting! I don’t mind though as it’s nice to get out of the office

So lunch is on work today and I have jackets for tea so hopefully a cheap day!

I need to catch up on everyone’s diaries soon!

OF x
    Orange Fairy

• abba1772
    • By abba1772 11th Oct 17, 8:29 AM
    • 3,875 Posts
    • 11,240 Thanks
    abba1772
    Oh my that's some trek for a meeting

Sorry to hear about the hamster so sad when pets pass away
    NEXT TARGET HALIFAX CC WAS July 17 £3572.57 NOW £5364.81
    POAMAYC 2011 £6382.66 POAMAYC 2012 £5000.78
    POAMAYC 2013 £3480.04 POAMAYC 2014 £4085.14
    POAMAYC 2015 £7565.24 POAMAYC 2016 £8000.90
    POAMAYC 2017 £4908.50 / £6000
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 11th Oct 17, 8:42 AM
    • 4,443 Posts
    • 8,267 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Sorry you lost the house. I live in Cornwall so know all about travelling miles for short meetings. Great to live in a beautiful part of the country but shame it is so far away from everywhere.
    Countdown to early retirement on 21.12.17 2 months to go.
    • OrangeFairy
    • By OrangeFairy 11th Oct 17, 8:49 PM
    • 2,598 Posts
    • 8,973 Thanks
    OrangeFairy
    Hi all,

Well 12.5 hours after I locked my front day this morning I arrived back home...what a day!

Having a chilled out evening eating pasta and watching Gilmore girls

Money is okay at them mo as I haven’t spent too much....Greece next weekend though so I need spending money.

I hope everyone has had a good day- I have eaten rubbish all day so feeling a bit like a failure now!

OF x
    Orange Fairy

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

139Posts Today

2,288Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin