Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • OrangeFairy
    • By OrangeFairy 27th Apr 17, 10:14 PM
    • 2,592Posts
    • 8,966Thanks
    OrangeFairy
    *~*~Our house deposit journey.... Orange Fairy gets serious*~*~
    • 27th Apr 17, 10:14 PM
    *~*~Our house deposit journey.... Orange Fairy gets serious*~*~ 27th Apr 17 at 10:14 PM
    Well hello again money saving gurus!

Right I am back and should never have drifted away as we have failed to make the most of our dispaosable income to save for a house deposit.

We need to get back on track!

A quick summary is that we are a married couple in our thirties living in devon with our two daughters aged 14 and 11. We have struggled with debt over our 16 years together but last year shifted the last of it. We rent a house off my uncle so our rent is very low for our area which allows us a good amount of disaposable income. We are both on pretty high wages for Devon and should easily be able to save £1k a month....

Trouble is we haven't been doing that!

The goal for last year was to save £15k and we were doing so well until about September/October. We then started to save just the minimum we had to in the help to buy isas and then we dipped into the other pots for Christmas and an amazing holiday to Iceland in February.

We have also paid out massive amounts for club and school trips and have been out for food a staggering 13 times in the last 2 months! (inc an arranged meal on saturday)

So we need to buckle down and consider the small things to help budget and save more.

Upcoming costs;

Uniform - DD1 goes into year 10 and needs blazers and new PE kit. DD2 starts secondary school so full uniform needed
    Everest - Hubby is doing Everest base camp next year at a cost of £2k
    Car- lease on our car is up in October so we need to arrange another and have deposit ready
    Holiday - looking to do a cheap holiday later in the year or just camp maybe. We need a new tent so are selling household items to save up the cost of a tent
    DD2 trip - £122 left to pay on her trip

Good points

We have a new washing machine and fridge so those aren't going to crop up
    Hubby got a payrise this week which sees him moving up £1200 a year now and a further £1000 when he has completed some goals over the summer
    My payrise though only £500 means another £30 in the pot a month
    DD1 is giving up tap this term which saves us £60 a term and then drops the other two after a dance show she is in later on in the year which saves another £120 a term!

I will post our SOA which shows that we really shouldn't be struggling to save at all so only have ourselves to blame!

The other thing is that I desperately need to lose weight as I am so unhappy as I am and it has really affected my confidence. Hubby needs to train for Everest so Tuesday it starts. Healthy eating and exercise in the form of running, swimming and cycling.

That's me for tonight I think...DD1 is currently in France on a trip and hubby has taken DD2 to watch Fast and Furious 8 which is probably a little irresponsible on a school night but hey ho!

Will catch up tomorrow - it is payday! woohoo!

OF x
    Last edited by OrangeFairy; 27-04-2017 at 10:21 PM.
    Orange Fairy
    House Deposit target = £25000 Saved = £12500
    Sales towards new tent = £80

Page 2
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 9th May 17, 1:47 PM
    • 4,400 Posts
    • 17,862 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    *Pops in following*

Leaves quietly x
    DFW £953.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £391.28/£3381.28

June 17 PA £121.25 + £70 Cash + £50 Amazon
    July 17 PA £259.95 + £25 Cash + £65 Amazon
    August 17 PA £98.93 + £48.65 Cash + £60 Amazon
    • OrangeFairy
    • By OrangeFairy 10th May 17, 8:20 AM
    • 2,592 Posts
    • 8,966 Thanks
    OrangeFairy
    Happy Wednesday folks!

I have Friday off this week so I am very excited about finishing tomorrow!

I saw a house online that I would really love to go for if we were ready now....but I can't feel too sorry for myself- if we had got our !!! in gear we would be at £20k already!

Today's big and small things...

Buy some lunch bits for an anniversary picnic for hubby and I tomorrow (picnic rather than meal out)
    Reconcile spends
    Jacket pot for lunch with Philly
    Package up DVDs to sell
    Check topcashb@ck
    Mozzarella burgers for dinner to use up the sweet potato as chips
    Meal plan
    Catch up on mse diaries
    Complete 10k steps
    Plant garden flowers that I haven't got round to sorting

I have to decide whether to take next Thursday off for sports day- holiday days are so precious but this will be my last ever primary school sports day with DD2 going to secondary next year

Have a great day all!

OF x

Orange Fairy

• OrangeFairy
    • By OrangeFairy 13th May 17, 9:57 AM
    • 2,592 Posts
    • 8,966 Thanks
    OrangeFairy
    Happy weekend folks!

I had yesterday off work as a day for me (accrued hours mean we can have one friday off a month so wasn't a holiday day)

I spent the morning doing housework then rewarded myself with a float in a floatation tank for an hour in the afternoon so I was ridiculously relaxed when I got home so I was happy to sit with my DD's and watch Gilmore Girls after school

End of SATs week which is good as the kids can start having fun at school again. DD2 really enjoyed it so we haven't had any worries.

Less than a term until I have no primary children anymore

Today is a potter around the house, meal plan and food shop day. Tomorrow we should be off for a day out which will hopefully only cost us ice creams. We plan a moor walk and a picnic or maybe a coast visit - fingers crossed the sun stays out.

Need to plan the start of an exercise plan for next week.....

Need to list things to sell as this tent fund is staying a little still!

Good drying day so better hang the wash out!

OF x

Orange Fairy

• Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 13th May 17, 3:11 PM
    • 4,400 Posts
    • 17,862 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Im addicted to Gilmore Girls.
    I don't watch much TV but I've sat and watched from series 1 a few times more than I'd like to admit

I know holiday days are worth keeping but being the last ever sports day I'd probably take it off and go but then I'm not always the most sensible so maybe don't listen to me

• mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 13th May 17, 9:45 PM
    • 5,302 Posts
    • 15,871 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    You should go to sports day OF, last one and all that xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £7586.76 - 31/05/17 - 67.25% paid off
    • brizzledfw
    • By brizzledfw 13th May 17, 11:08 PM
    • 7,012 Posts
    • 33,809 Thanks
    brizzledfw
    Agree, and who knows maybe you will win the mums' race too

Hope you had a great walk x
    MFiT-T4 Member No. 96 - 2022 is my MF goal
    August '17 Savings Rate Goal: 25% [July 23.9 %]
    Declutter 100 items before 31.08.17 22/100 ** LSDs Target 5 for August 01/05 **AFDs 8/20 ** Sales Target '17 £750 £140 so far
    **NSDs Target 5 for August xx/05 Trying to be a Frugalista
    • OrangeFairy
    • By OrangeFairy 15th May 17, 7:52 AM
    • 2,592 Posts
    • 8,966 Thanks
    OrangeFairy
    Happy Monday all!

I'm currently on the bus to start work at 7.30 rather than get a lift in for 8. So £2.50 spent but I am so overwhelmed at work at the moment every half hour makes a difference!

It's a funny old week at work. Today is a long day, tomorrow is a short day as it's my birthday, Wednesday normal, Thursday I'm off for sports day (I chose to attend the last ever one as otherwise I'll regret it after!) and then Friday we are in for a few hours then have a team building/ social event at the beach!

The weekend was good. We had a BBQ at SILs on Saturday and watched a film after. Then yesterday we went for a walk at Tarr Steps on exmoor with a picnic. A rain shower meant we picnicked under a tree for shelter but it was good! £3 on parking and £8 on promised ice creams so £11 for a lovely day wasn't bad!

Money situation is unfortunately weaker than I thought!

Money as of Saturday

£325 bank
    £137 due to come in to bank
    £20 cash
    £20 cash owed from colleague
    £27 owed from siblings

Total = 529

Since ..
    £65 Shopping
    £11 day out

Left £453 till payday

I'll need to check what is still left to come out in edition to shopping. It would be great to save £300 this month which isn't as much as I had hoped but I had some extra costs this month and I bought myself some clothes. I shouldn't need much more for the summer in terms of clothes now and the kids have plently from a recent shopping trip we went on :-)

Brizzle- definitely no mums race for me! Hahahaha!

Hidden- we have never watch Gilmore Girls before and are only at the end of series 2. I wasn't to sure I'd like it as I like action to much...so anything with super powers normally floats my boat but I am enjoying it- my DDs love it too which gives us an easy watch to enjoy together

Better actually start work now...

OF x
    Orange Fairy

• OrangeFairy
    • By OrangeFairy 15th May 17, 7:54 AM
    • 2,592 Posts
    • 8,966 Thanks
    OrangeFairy
    Happy Monday all!

I'm currently on the bus to start work at 7.30 rather than get a lift in for 8. So £2.50 spent but I am so overwhelmed at work at the moment every half hour makes a difference!

It's a funny old week at work. Today is a long day, tomorrow is a short day as it's my birthday, Wednesday normal, Thursday I'm off for sports day (I chose to attend the last ever one as otherwise I'll regret it after!) and then Friday we are in for a few hours then have a team building/ social event at the beach!

The weekend was good. We had a BBQ at SILs on Saturday and watched a film after. Then yesterday we went for a walk at Tarr Steps on exmoor with a picnic. A rain shower meant we picnicked under a tree for shelter but it was good! £3 on parking and £8 on promised ice creams so £11 for a lovely day wasn't bad!

Money situation is unfortunately weaker than I thought!

Money as of Saturday

£325 bank
    £137 due to come in to bank
    £20 cash
    £20 cash owed from colleague
    £27 owed from siblings

Total = 529

Since ..
    £65 Shopping
    £11 day out

Left £453 till payday

I'll need to check what is still left to come out in edition to shopping. It would be great to save £300 this month which isn't as much as I had hoped but I had some extra costs this month and I bought myself some clothes. I shouldn't need much more for the summer in terms of clothes now and the kids have plently from a recent shopping trip we went on :-)

Brizzle- definitely no mums race for me! Hahahaha!

Hidden- we have never watch Gilmore Girls before and are only at the end of series 2. I wasn't to sure I'd like it as I like action to much...so anything with super powers normally floats my boat but I am enjoying it- my DDs love it too which gives us an easy watch to enjoy together

Better actually start work now...

OF x
    Orange Fairy

• Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 15th May 17, 8:00 AM
    • 4,400 Posts
    • 17,862 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Have a good day and happy Birthday for tomorrow if I miss posting xx

The life the girls in gilmore girls have is the life I want it just feels so 'happy!'
    Hope the week goes well

• Happytogetdebtfree
    • By Happytogetdebtfree 18th May 17, 2:53 PM
    • 6,780 Posts
    • 15,511 Thanks
    Happytogetdebtfree
    Hi OF, I have been absent for some time.... I am creeping back in. I am now faced with a further 6 years paying debts off because we have to take a hit on the house meaning negative equity. I am trying not to feel too demotivated but god it feels like a never ending journey arghhhh I will have to update my diary at some point. Anyway nice to see you are back and motivated xx
    I AM A MONEY MAGNET, THEY ARE MAKING MORE MONEY FOR ME AS WE SPEAKMIKES MOB, DFW NERD 1071, DFW LHS 132!MIRACLES HAPPEN I'VE SEEN IT WITH MY OWN EYES. LBM 08£77240.69 Current outstanding total £36083.01 Paid so far = £41157.68
    • OrangeFairy
    • By OrangeFairy 22nd May 17, 10:48 AM
    • 2,592 Posts
    • 8,966 Thanks
    OrangeFairy
    Hi all,

Happy Monday!

Happy- nice to hear from you but I'm very sad to hear about your negative equity situation. I know the last time you were on you said you were struggling to sell it. Other than that how are you?

Hidden- thanks for the birthday message ��

I had a wonderful birthday last Tuesday. Hubby did so well- as main presents he got me some beautiful Kurt Geiger shoes and a sea glass red bracelet. The bracelet was extra special as I saw it on a local jewellery makers Instagram page and I liked the fact it was red (a lot of sea glass is green and blue) so I quickly showed him it when we were going to bed- he commented 'that's nice' and we went to sleep. Fast forward a couple of weeks and I opened it on my birthday He had contacted the local lady and had to describe what he had remembered! Bless him.

I was thoroughly spoilt by everyone and feel very lucky!

The weekend was okay- nothing eventful! Food shopping, housework, decluttering and having people over for dinner was about the sum of it which was nice.

Friday after work those of us that were free went to have a picnic on the beach for a couple of hours for bonding reason....trouble was 5 out of 9 went and it was the 5 of us that had been there longest!

I'll check money through tonight to see where I am as I've done my last proper food shop until payday so I'll have an idea of what I can save.

Have a lovely Monday

OF x
    Orange Fairy

• Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 22nd May 17, 11:48 AM
    • 4,400 Posts
    • 17,862 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    Your birthday sounds great and what lovely presents xx

• jwil
    • By jwil 22nd May 17, 5:01 PM
    • 7,499 Posts
    • 20,581 Thanks
    jwil
    Happy Belated Birthday!

I love Tarr Steps and Exmoor. I think we are very lucky in this part of the world.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,821Posts Today

6,601Users online

Martin's Twitter