Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 27th Apr 17, 1:44 PM
    • 4,116Posts
    • 1,832Thanks
    aardvaak
    Windows Live Mail
    • 27th Apr 17, 1:44 PM
    Windows Live Mail 27th Apr 17 at 1:44 PM
    How can I make Windows Live Mail compatable with Win.10?
Page 1
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 27th Apr 17, 2:11 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 1,448 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 27th Apr 17, 2:11 PM
    • 27th Apr 17, 2:11 PM
    How can I make Windows Live Mail compatable with Win.10?
    Originally posted by aardvaak
    Give us a clue? Does it run? What email (the bit after the @) doesn't work?
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 27th Apr 17, 3:47 PM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 1,832 Thanks
    aardvaak
    • 27th Apr 17, 3:47 PM
    • 27th Apr 17, 3:47 PM
    Give us a clue? Does it run? What email (the bit after the @) doesn't work?
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    No after download it says not compatible with this operating system
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 27th Apr 17, 5:09 PM
    • 3,196 Posts
    • 1,448 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 27th Apr 17, 5:09 PM
    • 27th Apr 17, 5:09 PM
    No after download it says not compatible with this operating system
    Just installed this one -2012- on top of 2011- worked fine.
    http://web.archive.org/web/20170109223306/http://wl.dlservice.microsoft.com/download/C/1/B/C1BA42D6-6A50-4A4A-90E5-FA9347E9360C/en/wlsetup-all.exe
    (size of install 134,112Kb)
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature because somebody complained that the information contained within it was too helpful.
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 27th Apr 17, 10:24 PM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 1,832 Thanks
    aardvaak
    • 27th Apr 17, 10:24 PM
    • 27th Apr 17, 10:24 PM
    Thank you I'll try that.
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 27th Apr 17, 10:50 PM
    • 723 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    • 27th Apr 17, 10:50 PM
    • 27th Apr 17, 10:50 PM
    It looks like the Creators Update for Windows 10 breaks the installer for Windows Essentials 2012 if Mail hasn't already been installed.

There is a way I've found round it though - fairly technical though and I haven't tested Mail fully. Will share if anybody's interested.
    • emptybox
    • By emptybox 28th Apr 17, 1:30 AM
    • 268 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    emptybox
    • 28th Apr 17, 1:30 AM
    • 28th Apr 17, 1:30 AM
    Windows Live mail is no longer compatible with Microsoft mail such as Hotmail, but you can still use it with Gmail and Yahoo and ISP mail.

TBH, unless you have a particular reason for installing Windows Live Mail then the Mail app in Windows 10 works with all mail nowadays (including POP3).

Or you could use a third party client such as Thunderbird (which will work with Hotmail).
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 28th Apr 17, 8:31 PM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 1,832 Thanks
    aardvaak
    • 28th Apr 17, 8:31 PM
    • 28th Apr 17, 8:31 PM
    It looks like the Creators Update for Windows 10 breaks the installer for Windows Essentials 2012 if Mail hasn't already been installed.

There is a way I've found round it though - fairly technical though and I haven't tested Mail fully. Will share if anybody's interested.
    Originally posted by Neil Jones
    Yes please do share
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 28th Apr 17, 8:33 PM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 1,832 Thanks
    aardvaak
    • 28th Apr 17, 8:33 PM
    • 28th Apr 17, 8:33 PM
    Windows Live mail is no longer compatible with Microsoft mail such as Hotmail, but you can still use it with Gmail and Yahoo and ISP mail.

TBH, unless you have a particular reason for installing Windows Live Mail then the Mail app in Windows 10 works with all mail nowadays (including POP3).

Or you could use a third party client such as Thunderbird (which will work with Hotmail).
    Originally posted by emptybox
    The Reason: To import contacts
    • aardvaak
    • By aardvaak 29th Apr 17, 9:20 AM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 1,832 Thanks
    aardvaak
    I tried this but it said can't install - sticks at about 21%
    • Neil Jones
    • By Neil Jones 29th Apr 17, 10:00 AM
    • 723 Posts
    • 386 Thanks
    Neil Jones
    Yes please do share
    You'll need to install 7-Zip first to make life easier, its just an unzipper program which you can get here:
    http://www.7-zip.org/

Download the full installer as posted by Grumpycrab above, the 130Mb one.

Right-click it -> 7-Zip -> choose "Extract to wlsetup-all". This will make a folder called wlsetup-all in the folder you downloaded to.

You then need to go into the wlsetup-all folder, then .rsrc -> 0 -> PACKAGE -> folder. There should be 55 items in here all beginning with P.

What you need to do on each file in order is right click -> 7-Zip -> Open archive. In each file you'll find a .7z file. Double click this in 7-Zip to reveal a .cab file. Then in 7-Zip double click that to reveal a .msi file. Double-click that to run the installer. Ignore any errors that come up and don't worry if something doesn't appear to install.

Do this for all 55 of the files. Yes, it's tedious.

When done the shortcuts for Windows Live Mail should now be on the Start Menu. If not, you'll find Windows Live Mail in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail folder, filename wlmail.exe.
    • nom de plume
    • By nom de plume 6th Sep 17, 4:22 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 574 Thanks
    nom de plume
    Late to the party on this thread but just gone through Neil's solution and it does work thank you.

Just remembering why I hate upgrading my PC......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

95Posts Today

1,602Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin