Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SarahD92
    • By SarahD92 26th Apr 17, 8:04 PM
    • 29Posts
    • 6Thanks
    SarahD92
    Problem with virgin money savings account (warning to potential customers)
    • 26th Apr 17, 8:04 PM
    Problem with virgin money savings account (warning to potential customers) 26th Apr 17 at 8:04 PM
    Hi there

I am having some serious problems with my virgin money savings account, so I'm creating this thread as a warning to anyone considering banking with them, and also to seek some advice.

I have put all my life savings in my virgin money savings account, I have been banking with for around six months, everything was fine, until I tried to log in to check my balance, only to realise that my account has been restricted. Upon calling them, I was informed that they have sent me some letters to ask for more information, 6 letters to be exact, but I have never received any of them. So they have gone ahead and restricted my account, because I had not responded to the letters that clearly were not sent, it's not possible for 6 letters to get lost in the post.

They're asking for some very confidential information, such as copy of passport and bank statements, payslips, driving license, utility bills, and etc. Obviously, I am not comfortable to give them access to all of that confidential information, so I asked them to close my account and transfer all my savings to the account that it came from. [U]They're refusing to do that,[U] so I'm looking for some help with this situation, have any of you ever experienced something similar? Can they refuse to return my money to my bank account??

Warning to potential customers: Over the past 10 years, I have more or less experienced banking with many of the banking institutions, my experience with Virgin Money has been so much worse than the other banks, I would urge everyone considering banking with them to read some of their reviews online, I wish I had done that.

Many thanks in advance
Page 6
    • Cath1960
    • By Cath1960 22nd Sep 17, 7:55 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Cath1960
    I was considering opening a savings account with Virgin Money, even registered but didnt go so far as to give them my hard earned money. I'm so pleased I didn't after reading your post. I have read so many bad reports on them. Will just leave my money where it is untill I find a decent bank/building society to put it in!
    • MarkFromCornwall
    • By MarkFromCornwall 22nd Sep 17, 1:32 PM
    • 715 Posts
    • 447 Thanks
    MarkFromCornwall
    I was considering opening a savings account with Virgin Money, even registered but didnt go so far as to give them my hard earned money. I'm so pleased I didn't after reading your post. I have read so many bad reports on them. Will just leave my money where it is untill I find a decent bank/building society to put it in!
    Originally posted by Cath1960
    Just in the interests of balance, I 'd like to say that I find them excellent. I've had half a dozen accounts with them and find them easy to deal with and reliable. They make things simpler than some other banks I deal with.
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 22nd Sep 17, 1:46 PM
    • 6,281 Posts
    • 3,987 Thanks
    Ken68
    Five savings accounts with Virgin ...no problems so far.
    • TheShape
    • By TheShape 22nd Sep 17, 6:53 PM
    • 1,044 Posts
    • 803 Thanks
    TheShape
    This thread is a handy reminder for me to open yet another Virgin Money Regular Saver.
    • Wheres My Cashback
    • By Wheres My Cashback 22nd Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 2,769 Posts
    • 33,714 Thanks
    Wheres My Cashback
    Looks like the trolls have re-ignited this thread !
    • picks
    • By picks 23rd Sep 17, 11:09 PM
    • 181 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    picks
    This thread is a handy reminder for me to open yet another Virgin Money Regular Saver.
    Originally posted by TheShape
    This thread is also a handy reminder of how one awkward customer can make numerous unverified allegations against a savings provider. The fact that the whinger obstinately refused to take the matter up directly with Virgin suggests to me that their allegations might be bogus.
    Last edited by picks; 24-09-2017 at 12:59 PM. Reason: spelling
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 24th Sep 17, 12:51 PM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 1,819 Thanks
    pearl123
    Originally posted by Cath1960
    There's nothing wrong with Virgin Money. Clearly the original poster need to give information which she didn't want to do.
    • caveman8006
    • By caveman8006 9th Oct 17, 3:37 PM
    • 49 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    caveman8006
    While I agree that OP should understand that money laundering rules require proof of identity, I have also been asked by Virgin for NEW proofs after opening a new fixed rate bond with the proceeds of an old one. This is totally out of order and unnecessary!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

671Posts Today

6,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin