Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mouseclick
    • By mouseclick 25th Apr 17, 7:37 PM
    • 204Posts
    • 77Thanks
    mouseclick
    GB Energy: bill from the administrators, and meter reading errors
    • 25th Apr 17, 7:37 PM
    GB Energy: bill from the administrators, and meter reading errors 25th Apr 17 at 7:37 PM
    Hi,

I have a problem with my electricity bill. I am now with EDF.

I was on GB energy until March 2016, but they could not read my smart meter, which was installed by OVO. I told them this, and they made up a fictitious start and end reading.

Now, EDF find that my actual reading is less than what I am supposed to have started with, because of GB Energy's inaccurate figures. I am owed about £350. It is now a formal complaint. I am waiting for the refund.

Today, I got another bill from GB Energy's administrators! It says:
    As a previous customer of GB Energy Supply Limited you are receiving this update to notify you of recent events regarding the Company.

On 30 November 2016 at 00:01 (electricity) and 05:01 (gas), all customers that were being supplied by the Company were transferred to a new supplier, Co-Operative Energy (‘Co-Op Energy’) by Ofgem in accordance with the Supplier of Last Report (‘SOLR’) process. This enabled customers that were being supplied by the Company at that time to continue to receive their usual supply of electricity and/or gas without interruption.

On 6 December 2016 Graham Newton and Tony Nygate of BDO LLP were appointed Joint Administrators of the Company. Since their appointment, the Joint Administrators have been working to realise the assets of the Company for the benefit of the Company’s unsecured creditors who are owed c£21m. Once the Administration, and any subsequent Liquidation process has completed, the Company will be formally dissolved at Companies House and cease to exist as a registered business in the UK.

What happens next?

You have received this update as a previous customer of the Company who changed utility provider prior to 30 November 2016 and according to the Company’s records have a balance owing to the Company. Although the Company no longer operates as a live business, all outstanding debts remain valid and therefore payable to the Company.

It is the Joint Administrators’ responsibility to maximise asset realisations, including the collection of outstanding customer balances, in order to repay creditors who are owed monies by the Company. In order to facilitate this, the Joint Administrators have appointed CDS Global as agents on their behalf.

Please note that the Joint Administrators, together with their agents, act as agents of ‘the Company’ and without personal liability.

What do I need to do?

A copy of your final invoice has been included in this notification, this balance relates to energy usage between your last invoice and the date of supply transfer/date you ceased to be a customer of the Company and is taken from the Company’s books and records. Payment can be made in the following ways: (etc etc)
    But their final reading on my electricity meter is an "estimate":
    29 Mar 2016 7523.3 Estimate
    My current reading is about 2400!

This madness came about because I am away from home a lot, so I thought a smart meter would help. But ONLY Ovo can read the Ovo meter. And even the meter readers get confused. The recent one from EDF said it was 655, so I had to send photographs in.

What a mess! Can anyone suggest anything?
Page 2
    • sheff6107
    • By sheff6107 7th May 17, 10:34 AM
    • 434 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    sheff6107
    @mouseclick
    (quoting doesn't work on my iPhone for some reason!)
    Yes, sorry you are correct.
    They will not voluntarily hand over the money though and do not take it into account when producing bills, which is pretty cheeky.
    • mouseclick
    • By mouseclick 8th May 17, 8:30 AM
    • 204 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    mouseclick
    Almost resolved
    I found a phone number for GB Energy on my bill, 0800 6444 451. There, I spoke to a person who accessed my records, and agreed with the final gas and electricity reading from OVO, before I transferred to GB Energy, and confirmed my final gas reading with GB Energy when I transferred away. All that remains is the final electricity reading, which apparently has been agreed, but they can't find a record of their dealings with EDF, my current supplier.

So today, the person acting for GB Energy (now Cooperative Energy) will contact the named person at EDF to resolve the electricity reading discrepancy. Then I should get a correct bill, and a refund.

So, fingers crossed, I will wait...
    • millie
    • By millie 8th May 17, 6:33 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    millie
    traditional meters as customers have to rely on estimated bills.My meter cannot easily be read now, I have to press a small button and several readings scroll. Even the meter readers get it wrong. What a crazy mistake to be made! Unbelievable. Furthermore, I think the low reading on the meter, from the meter reader, may have caused GB Energy to simply add a digit. This explains why my gas meter reading with them started at 5000, rather than the 500, which it was at the time. Even now it is only 2500. What a mess.
    Originally posted by mouseclick

I am in the same position as you. GB Energy fitted my smart meter a month before they went bust and it never worked from the moment it was fitted. They could not take my meter readings and thier system would not let me or them put the readings in manually. It took Co-op Energy 3 monthe to sort it and bill me and that was after I said I was going to OFGEM. I have the same difficultly reading it as you pressing buttons and working out which is the correct numbr to give them. I am in the process of changing to First Utility, they have offered to fit a new smart meter bui I am not sure I want it.
    • mouseclick
    • By mouseclick 9th May 17, 5:59 AM
    • 204 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    mouseclick
    Current status as of 8 May
    I am in the same position as you. GB Energy fitted my smart meter a month before they went bust and it never worked from the moment it was fitted. They could not take my meter readings and thier system would not let me or them put the readings in manually. It took Co-op Energy 3 monthe to sort it and bill me and that was after I said I was going to OFGEM. I have the same difficultly reading it as you pressing buttons and working out which is the correct numbr to give them. I am in the process of changing to First Utility, they have offered to fit a new smart meter bui I am not sure I want it.
    Originally posted by millie
    This problem will get bigger as people change energy suppliers. GB Energy were reluctant to admit there was a problem, and I think that is why they made up completely fictitious meter readings, which were several thousand units out, and seemed to be quite random. I think they were just made up to kick the can down the road.

I am currently waiting a call from GB Energy's administrators. My current supplier, EDF, has placed the buck with them. However, GB (Coop?) tell me that I have to speak to the GB administrators to get the paperwork amended. I was due for a call back yesterday from a man in the administration team, who's name I do not yet know, but nothing. I was told it could be today. In the meantime, Nicole Rastall has sent me two emails saying:
    "Just for clarity we are not GB Energy nor an energy supplier we are CD Sol,unions that have been employed by BDO the administrators to collect outstanding balances that are currently owed by former GB Energy customers."

and
    "We only have access to the final bill as issued by GB Energy. We are not your supplier, we are the collection agent working with the administrators, I have attached the final bill again for you to coincide the meter readings with the readings you have with OVO."

So I sent her a screenshot of my true OVO readings, and explained the situation. Again, I wait.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 9th May 17, 9:31 AM
    • 4,184 Posts
    • 2,427 Thanks
    Hengus
    Removed by Forum Team
    Originally posted by CDS Global
    Hi - CDS Global. You need to delete your post as you are in breach of MSE rules on posts by Company Representatives.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam1; 09-05-2017 at 8:48 PM. Reason: Quote removed by Forum Team
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 9th May 17, 11:09 AM
    • 2,281 Posts
    • 3,411 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    Hi - CDS Global. You need to delete your post as you are in breach of MSE rules on posts by Company Representatives.
    Originally posted by Hengus
    CDS Global - As pointed out by Hengus - you were in breach of MSE forum rules so your post has been removed.

For more information about correctly posting as a Company Representative please visit http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/forum-faqs?_ga=2.243179590.536097585.1494324384-1037682649.1480869123#companies

Thanks

Dobbi
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
    • mouseclick
    • By mouseclick 9th May 17, 4:04 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    mouseclick
    OK, thanks for that, Hengus and Dobbibill, I don't post here often, so was unaware of that rule, apologies. Now the demands for payment have ceased, and I am to be refunded, apparently
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 9th May 17, 6:13 PM
    • 2,281 Posts
    • 3,411 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    OK, thanks for that, Hengus and Dobbibill, I don't post here often, so was unaware of that rule, apologies. Now the demands for payment have ceased, and I am to be refunded, apparently
    Originally posted by mouseclick
    Mouseclick - you have done nothing wrong.

My earlier post was to CDS Global who were breaching MSE rules, not you.

I'm glad you are receiving your refund. I hope it comes through soon.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.
    • mouseclick
    • By mouseclick 10th May 17, 6:25 AM
    • 204 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    mouseclick
    Mouseclick - you have done nothing wrong.

My earlier post was to CDS Global who were breaching MSE rules, not you.

I'm glad you are receiving your refund. I hope it comes through soon.
    Originally posted by Dobbibill
    Ah I see. Well to be fair to them, they have acted sensibly now that they are aware of the correct meter readings. I did mention I was posting here. So thanks to them for dealing with in a sensible way.

I am still waiting for my refund. I an sure that will be forthcoming though, now that all four correct readings are available from my not-so-smart meter.
    • mouseclick
    • By mouseclick 12th May 17, 2:43 AM
    • 204 Posts
    • 77 Thanks
    mouseclick
    Current supplier (EDF) has now corrected meter reading errors
    I am pleased to say that my current supplier, EDF Energy, have corrected the meter readings based on OVO's final readings in early 2016, giving me a substantial credit on my previous incorrect estimates. So I am just waiting now for GB / Cooperative Energy to pick up on OVO's final smart meter readings, and the agreed start readings with EDF in mid 2016. Then hopefully I will get my £40 refund and all will be well, apart from ongoing problems with my unreadable smart meter
    • millie
    • By millie 12th May 17, 1:49 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    millie
    Originally posted by millie

My smart meter problems get more by the day. My move to First Utility is now complete. When I went to take the opening readings I was in for a shock. My last reading to Co-op/GB Energy 3 weeks ago was 1330 the reading now is 186 so somehow the meter has re-set itself since the last reading. The reading has been submitted so lets see what Co-op? Gb make of this for my final bill. They have nearly £300 of my money so it had better be sorted soon.

We did have a power cut a few weeks ago (Severn Trent damaged the cable so perhaps that is something to do with it.
    • CDS Global
      Verified User verified user
    • By CDS Global Verified User verified user 19th May 17, 11:51 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    CDS Global
    Good Morning All,

CDS Global have been appointed as collection agents for the Administrators to assist in recovering monies owed to GB Energy Supply Limited (in Administration). If a former customer of GB Energy Supply Limited (in Administration) requires confirmation that CDS Global have been appointed please contact CDS Global for a letter of authority provided by the Administrators.

Any enquiries can be directed to CDS Global on 0116 2961458 or 0800 3688637 alternatively you can email GBE_Admin@cds.org.uk. This thread will be periodically monitored by the in house media team at CDS Global but all direct responses should come via the above email / telephone detail.

Kind Regards,

CDS Global - GB Energy Recoveries Team
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of CDS Global. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • teafoil22
    • By teafoil22 21st May 17, 10:54 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    teafoil22
    Hi everyone, does anyone have any idea why I am getting requests for payment from co-op energy? I was with GB and moved to EDF just as they went into administration. I have a dispute about the money GB say I owe them so was waiting to be contacted by the administrators to sort this out. A number of websites say Co-op will NOT be dealing with debts, but now they are writing to me demanding payment. Should I respond to them or wait to deal with the administrators? Any ideas?
    Thanks
    • CDS Global
      Verified User verified user
    • By CDS Global Verified User verified user 24th May 17, 10:20 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    CDS Global
    Hi teafoil22 if you contact one of the team at CDSGlobal we may be able to advise where the balance currently sits.

Kind regards, CDSG
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of CDS Global. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
    • LoLo
    • By LoLo 12th Jun 17, 5:09 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 1,295 Thanks
    LoLo
    Hi. I keep getting text messages from cds saying I owe money for an outstanding bill however this is not true and I cancelled my account with gb energy in March last year and paid the final bill when I moved house.

The text messages do not mention any of my details and I'm not sure what to do. I know I definitely do not owe any money to them.

Any ideas?
    Sealed pot member 049

Penny challenge - £4.59/£667.95

1 debt vs 100 days challenge 26. £50/£900
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 12th Jun 17, 5:22 PM
    • 3,506 Posts
    • 1,398 Thanks
    footyguy
    Hi. I keep getting text messages from cds saying I owe money for an outstanding bill however this is not true and I cancelled my account with gb energy in March last year and paid the final bill when I moved house.

The text messages do not mention any of my details and I'm not sure what to do. I know I definitely do not owe any money to them.

Any ideas?
    Originally posted by LoLo
    It sounds like someone has got their wires crossed somewhere if you are sure you do not owe any money.

Why not call them and explain the situation and see if they will agree with you?

What you probably need is the actual bill for the amount demanded so that you can carefully assess whether of not the amount is owed or not.

Or you could simply block their number to prevent texts from them. I'm sure they will find an alternative way to contact you if they still believe you owe money.
    • LoLo
    • By LoLo 12th Jun 17, 5:26 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 1,295 Thanks
    LoLo
    It sounds like someone has got their wires crossed somewhere if you are sure you do not owe any money.

Why not call them and explain the situation and see if they will agree with you?

What you probably need is the actual bill for the amount demanded so that you can carefully assess whether of not the amount is owed or not.

Or you could simply block their number to prevent texts from them. I'm sure they will find an alternative way to contact you if they still believe you owe money.
    Originally posted by footyguy

I've tried ringing but always get the same message that everyone is busy so put phone down. I don't have any of the details with it being over a year ago. I had no reason to believe I needed to keep them as the outstanding bill had been settled. As I say this was in march last year.
    Sealed pot member 049

• footyguy
    • By footyguy 12th Jun 17, 8:24 PM
    • 3,506 Posts
    • 1,398 Thanks
    footyguy
    I've tried ringing but always get the same message that everyone is busy so put phone down. I don't have any of the details with it being over a year ago. I had no reason to believe I needed to keep them as the outstanding bill had been settled. As I say this was in march last year.
    Originally posted by LoLo
    See post#32 for an alternative form of contact

If you don't know what the alleged debt relates to , I'm not sure how you can claim to be sure you don't owe it.

If it's a bill you say you have previously paid, then there are various ways you should be able to obtain confirmation, e.g. bank, credit card, etc depending on how you paid.

Good luck!
    Last edited by footyguy; 12-06-2017 at 8:28 PM.
    • LoLo
    • By LoLo 12th Jun 17, 8:57 PM
    • 513 Posts
    • 1,295 Thanks
    LoLo
    See post#32 for an alternative form of contact

If you don't know what the alleged debt relates to , I'm not sure how you can claim to be sure you don't owe it.

If it's a bill you say you have previously paid, then there are various ways you should be able to obtain confirmation, e.g. bank, credit card, etc depending on how you paid.

Good luck!
    Originally posted by footyguy

Thanks. I know I don't owe them anything as I paid the bill off over a year ago when I moved house. The message states that I have an outstanding bill from GB energy and as I know 100% I paid this when the account was closed I can be very certain I owe them nothing. GB only went into administration at the end of last year and I left them in March.

Unfortunately I have recently closed the bank account that this was paid from as with my mortgage I had to have this coming out of an account with the mortgage company and so I transferred everything over.

Can I still obtain statements from an account that has been closed?
    Sealed pot member 049

• Gary Bighitter
    • By Gary Bighitter 16th Aug 17, 11:23 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    Gary Bighitter
    Erroneous debt to GB Energy
    I too have been pursued by CDS for money I owe to GB Energy from a long time ago, at an address I no longer live at.

I'm certain that GB never even supplied my former address as I quickly changed my mind after signing up with them and I never supplied them with any readings.

Unfortunately CDS were having none of it (even they were either unable or unwilling to prove my alledged debt) and are threatening me with legal action and my credit file if I don't pay up.

I am more than happy to pay money I owe but strongly believe I don't. Can they really do what they are threatening to do?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,138Posts Today

8,294Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Luciana is on the advisory board of @mmhpi (we have MPs from most parties) https://t.co/n99NAxGAAQ

• Follow Martin