Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Silast5
    • By Silast5 22nd Apr 17, 11:07 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Silast5
    I got a cifas marker
    • 22nd Apr 17, 11:07 PM
    I got a cifas marker 22nd Apr 17 at 11:07 PM
    Recently I made a very stupid decision of giving my bank details and bank card to someone to deposit money in not knowing his real intentions. I breached the policy of the bank by giving out my details but I didn't know it was going to involve fraud. I kept contacting the person and he kept saying next week you would get your card back next week. The person told me to report the card lost so I did. When I went to the branch I got told that my card has been blocked and my account was under review. A few days later I got a letter from Barclays saying they closed my account for breaching their policies And they were not willing to offer me anymore services. So I went to Santander to open a new account a few days later got a letter saying that my application has been refused because I have a cifas marker on my name. I know it came from Barclays because that is the only bank I was dealing with. The question is how long would the cifas marker last and how will I get this removed. I only breached their policies everything else that the guy was doing was out of my control.
Page 5
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 4th Oct 17, 3:51 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 9,513 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Hey, I'm in the same situation as you, handed my card to my friend, yes I knowly knew what he was doing... I know I've done wrong, could you tell me what you said as a complaint to the bank?
    Originally posted by Blahblah123
    Basically he didn't get it removed.

People quite often come back and say theyve had rosy outcomes with no explanation as to how and why, thats because they are, ahem, telling a fib.

You have nothing to complain about.
    Survey Earnings 2017 - £163
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 4th Oct 17, 4:23 PM
    • 55,569 Posts
    • 48,942 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    I know I've done wrong, could you tell me what you said as a complaint to the bank?
    "Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing." - Warren Buffett
    • Phil&Michelle
    • By Phil&Michelle 4th Oct 17, 5:43 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Phil&Michelle
    The wife has one of these as someone used her details to open a Very account and place an order. It was reported to the police and crime stoppers but I doubt they ever did anything. The fraudster ordered £300 worth of clothes. This was about 2 years ago and she hasn't had problems obtaining credit since. It was our understanding that a CIFAS is there to alert credit companies of potential fraud and they would carry out extra checks but we could be wrong.
    • elsien
    • By elsien 4th Oct 17, 5:48 PM
    • 15,170 Posts
    • 38,025 Thanks
    elsien
    I don't think giving out my details was fraud it breached the policies of the bank but the fact that I wasn't aware of what the person was doing
    Originally posted by Silast5
    What did you think he was doing? People don't need your card to put money in your account. "I'm going to give some random person my bank card to do with as they wish, then complain when that's exactly what they do?"
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • molerat
    • By molerat 4th Oct 17, 6:11 PM
    • 17,109 Posts
    • 11,261 Thanks
    molerat
    The wife has one of these as someone used her details to open a Very account and place an order. It was reported to the police and crime stoppers but I doubt they ever did anything. The fraudster ordered £300 worth of clothes. This was about 2 years ago and she hasn't had problems obtaining credit since. It was our understanding that a CIFAS is there to alert credit companies of potential fraud and they would carry out extra checks but we could be wrong.
    Originally posted by Phil&Michelle
    There are several different CIFAS markers, some to protect you and some most to warn others. https://www.uk.equifax.com/publicsectorgateway/webapp/online-help/CIFAS.htm
    Last edited by molerat; 04-10-2017 at 6:21 PM.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • chappers
    • By chappers 4th Oct 17, 8:00 PM
    • 2,756 Posts
    • 1,558 Thanks
    chappers
    The point is the reason these markers are put there are because the banks have sophisticated forensic methods of telling how an account is being operated.
    If someone finds/steals my card and then uses it over a period of several weeks carrying out suspicious transactions both in and out. they can spot that this is probably authorised use compared to a chancer buying a few items over the internet.
    The bank will know the scam and how it works and the fingerprints of that scam will be all over the transactions carried out.
    They will therefore know that you willingly gave your card and bank details to someone, the reason they come down heavy on this is to try to keep the banking system secure, so that they can monitor transactions, fairly safe in the knowledge that the person they think is carrying out those transactions actually is.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 4th Oct 17, 9:49 PM
    • 3,885 Posts
    • 2,411 Thanks
    csgohan4
    I have a Cifas marker from when someone applied for 3 credit cards in my name. Just takes a bit longer for me to apply for a credit card due to extra ID checks e.t.c, better that than being taken for a ride

When you have a CIFAS marker against you for fraud/carelessness on your part, your in a world of hurt
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 4th Oct 17, 9:54 PM
    • 8,644 Posts
    • 13,179 Thanks
    worried jim
    When you have a CIFAS marker against you for fraud/carelessness on your part, your in a world of hurt
    Originally posted by csgohan4
    Quite rightly so.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 4th Oct 17, 10:25 PM
    • 30,130 Posts
    • 19,070 Thanks
    DCFC79
    Hey, I'm in the same situation as you, handed my card to my friend, yes I knowly knew what he was doing... I know I've done wrong, could you tell me what you said as a complaint to the bank?
    Why give your card, why not just accept cash or just say no.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 4th Oct 17, 11:05 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    boo_star
    Why give your card, why not just accept cash or just say no.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Some people are just that naive.

Hopefully the short sharp shock will help them understand that giving anyone, even friends and family, direct access to your account is a bad idea.
    • Silast5
    • By Silast5 17th Oct 17, 6:53 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Silast5
    I never knew about credit reference agencies and credit reports. So I didnít really think things through I just really carelessly done it which was the huge mistake but itís all been sorted out now Thanks to everyone for thier comments.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 17th Oct 17, 10:59 AM
    • 2,361 Posts
    • 1,784 Thanks
    Candyapple
    Just a quick update I have made a complaint to the bank and I've been told the marker would be removed.

Basically he didn't get it removed.

People quite often come back and say theyve had rosy outcomes with no explanation as to how and why, thats because they are, ahem, telling a fib.

You have nothing to complain about.
    Originally posted by marliepanda

I can't help but agree with the post above.

Silast5 if you ever do come back - please post up a detailed as to your process of getting the marker removed so that everyone else who comes across this thread will know what to do if they find themselves in the same boat.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 17th Oct 17, 11:03 AM
    • 8,644 Posts
    • 13,179 Thanks
    worried jim

Silast5 if you ever do come back - please post up a detailed as to your process of getting the marker removed so that everyone else who comes across this thread will know what to do if they find themselves in the same boat.
    Originally posted by Candyapple
    Simple. They just went cash in hand for the next six years.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • Silast5
    • By Silast5 17th Oct 17, 5:07 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Silast5
    I got it removed and got £100 in compensation because the bank open a complaint and o found out that the person opened 2 bank accounts under my name without me knowing.
    • Candyapple
    • By Candyapple 18th Oct 17, 10:54 AM
    • 2,361 Posts
    • 1,784 Thanks
    Candyapple
    This thread is so confusing. Not helped by the fact OP doesn’t actually reply to people’s questions.

So from reading this thread again from start to finish, here is a quick timeline for anyone who’s also confused:
    1. April 2017: OP’s school friend said he wanted to give OP some money for his birthday. Rather than give him cash, he asked for his bank card. OP gave him his card.
    2. The next day when OP asked for it back, the friend basically said next week until it became apparent to OP that next week was never going to come.
    3. Friend told OP to report his card as lost.
    4. OP reported card as lost and bank told him account was blocked/closed.
    5. OP gets a mysterious savings account statement from Barclays.
    6. OP tries to apply for a new bank account and is told no due to CIFAS marker from first bank.
    7. OP went to the police.
    8. Apparently the friend “did fraud” to the account and has been excluded from college (unclear how this is relevant to this).
    9. June 2017 update: OP has made a complaint to the bank and the CIFAS marker has allegedly been removed with no further explanation.
    10. October 2017 update: apparently everything has “all been sorted out now” again with no further explanation.
    11. Further October 2017 update: apparently OP not only managed to get the CIFAS marker removed but also was awarded £100 because his friend had opened 2 bank accounts under his name without his knowledge.

The story is about as clear as mud.

OP please answer these questions:
    • Are you under 18?
    • What is a 'savers card'?
    • Did you give your friend your online banking details such as login name and password so that he was able to access your account as well as having your bank card?
    • What happened to this mysterious savings account that you said you received a statement for?
    • You said that the bank told you your friend had opened a further 2 bank accounts in your name – do you actually mean savings accounts?
    • You said that the bank told you your friend had opened a further 2 bank accounts in your name – how? This is what I find hard to believe. If your friend attempted this in a branch – he would have needed your ID. If he made the applications online, he would have to enter your home address. What use would it have been to your friend to have new bank cards delivered to your home address? Was he planning on asking you to hand over these 2 new bank cards?
    • Do you have a copy of this letter from Barclays where they not only agreed to remove the CIFAS marker but also award you £100? If you do, can you please upload it and black out any of your personal details such as name/address. This would be most helpful in understanding what exactly went on.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
    • Silast5
    • By Silast5 20th Oct 17, 10:53 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Silast5
    I just turned 18, and it was like my first time with a bank account. I didnít know about credit reference agencies. I had to make multiple phone calls to Barclays after I received the subject access request. I explain to them that I didnít open that account therefore they opened a case. And after 30 days they decide to remove it. I was talking to Barclays from thier online chat and I asked them how they opened an account without id. They told me itís possible to open an account without id. Because they did some online verification check. Which is one of the main reasons why I left the bank because I canít trust Barclays no more the fact that they opened an account without id. Also I was really naive about the savers card thing I thought it was his savings account. The thing is I didnít ask much questions. Sorry for the confusion I was really heated at that time. Overall I made a phonecall to bank explaining the situation and they investigated and found out it wasnít me. And gave me £100 in compensation I donít think I can upload the letter.
    • Silast5
    • By Silast5 20th Oct 17, 11:07 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Silast5
    I can’t upload the picture because it won’t let me
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 20th Oct 17, 11:25 PM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 655 Thanks
    boo_star
    I canít upload the picture because it wonít let me
    Then upload it to a third party site like imgur and post the link here, after removing your account details and personal information.
    • Silast5
    • By Silast5 21st Oct 17, 11:06 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Silast5
    Here
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qst2wqkyco2hisl/AAC99gGV7w4I7Z8vAUW_2lTea?dl=0
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,923Posts Today

5,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin