Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Silast5
    • By Silast5 22nd Apr 17, 11:07 PM
    • 38Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Silast5
    I got a cifas marker
    • 22nd Apr 17, 11:07 PM
    I got a cifas marker 22nd Apr 17 at 11:07 PM
    Recently I made a very stupid decision of giving my bank details and bank card to someone to deposit money in not knowing his real intentions. I breached the policy of the bank by giving out my details but I didn't know it was going to involve fraud. I kept contacting the person and he kept saying next week you would get your card back next week. The person told me to report the card lost so I did. When I went to the branch I got told that my card has been blocked and my account was under review. A few days later I got a letter from Barclays saying they closed my account for breaching their policies And they were not willing to offer me anymore services. So I went to Santander to open a new account a few days later got a letter saying that my application has been refused because I have a cifas marker on my name. I know it came from Barclays because that is the only bank I was dealing with. The question is how long would the cifas marker last and how will I get this removed. I only breached their policies everything else that the guy was doing was out of my control.
Page 4
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 23rd Apr 17, 10:19 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    Arleen
    The problem is you willingly gave him your card which is a massive no no. Never ever give your card to somebody else. What happens on your card is your responsibility I'm afraid.
    Originally posted by David555
    That isn't the worst part, people do that all the time, and even if you admit it to the bank that you let your friend use it, they will only wag a finger at you and chuckle it out.

What OP did afterward when reporting the card as lost he committed a fraud of his own, and he did so for financial gains, no matter how much he will deny it. He knew from the start that this wasn't an honest transaction, and pleading ignorance won't help because if that were the case, then he wouldn't have fraudulently reported the card as lost.

Just to explain the game a bit more, that is the story people are taught when recruited into this fraud. You are told to hand them your bank account (usually opening it beforehand, as they often target people without one), and when police/bank knocks claim not to have known about anything and that your card was stolen, etc. Of course, it never works because it's a lie, but people blinded by quick money usually turn their brains off.

Luckily for the op, the guy above him on the ladder (it is not the ring leader) is an absolute imbecile and recruited someone who knows him instead of a stranger. But then most criminals are imbeciles which is why they go to jail.

The marker is almost certainly going to stay, he did provide fraudulent information to the bank, but the sooner he goes to the police and explains it, the lesser it is that CPS will charge him with anything.
    Last edited by Arleen; 23-04-2017 at 10:26 PM.
    • csgohan4
    • By csgohan4 24th Apr 17, 8:10 AM
    • 3,882 Posts
    • 2,411 Thanks
    csgohan4
    I gave it because he told me he was depositing from his savers card. I take full responsibility for my actions I'm trying to say that giving my details was the right thing I know it was a stupid decision but he lied to me.
    Originally posted by Silast5

How can giving a stranger your bank details the right thing to do? OP you need to stop being gullible if your real. Look after yourself, no one else will
    "It is prudent when shopping for something important, not to limit yourself to Pound land"
    • lovinituk
    • By lovinituk 24th Apr 17, 8:22 AM
    • 5,371 Posts
    • 6,037 Thanks
    lovinituk
    It's all b0llox - nobody is this stupid in real life! Are they?!

The posting style actually sounds like another troll account.
    • StopIt
    • By StopIt 24th Apr 17, 8:30 AM
    • 1,103 Posts
    • 971 Thanks
    StopIt
    I don't see how it's correct because I only breached the policies of the bank and the situation was out of my control the guy took control over the bank account so he could do anything with it.

I'm sure other have stated this here too but you cannot be this naïve/ignorant.

You gave your card and details to a 3rd party. That isn't a "breach of policy", that's fraud. Someone else was acting as you with your account. If you were aware of this, which surely you would have been, you're an accessory to the fraud.

You don't need to give your card to someone to transfer money into your account. So you gave your card to someone so they could transfer money through the account. That is money laundering.

A CIFAS marker is the least of your worries. Never, EVER give anyone your card* (See below), other than through power of attorney.
    That isn't the worst part, people do that all the time, and even if you admit it to the bank that you let your friend use it, they will only wag a finger at you and chuckle it out.

What OP did afterward when reporting the card as lost he committed a fraud of his own, and he did so for financial gains, no matter how much he will deny it. He knew from the start that this wasn't an honest transaction, and pleading ignorance won't help because if that were the case, then he wouldn't have fraudulently reported the card as lost.

Just to explain the game a bit more, that is the story people are taught when recruited into this fraud. You are told to hand them your bank account (usually opening it beforehand, as they often target people without one), and when police/bank knocks claim not to have known about anything and that your card was stolen, etc. Of course, it never works because it's a lie, but people blinded by quick money usually turn their brains off.

Luckily for the op, the guy above him on the ladder (it is not the ring leader) is an absolute imbecile and recruited someone who knows him instead of a stranger. But then most criminals are imbeciles which is why they go to jail.

The marker is almost certainly going to stay, he did provide fraudulent information to the bank, but the sooner he goes to the police and explains it, the lesser it is that CPS will charge him with anything.
    Originally posted by Arleen
    Giving someone your card to pay for a round of drinks or whatever, while still not allowed isn't going to get you into bother.
    You don't need to give someone your card to do a bank transfer to your account, so it clear that this person was wanting to use it for money laundering. If the OP is a troll, whoops but if they don't know the implications of what they've been doing, then they need to look up how this sort of thing works.
    Last edited by StopIt; 24-04-2017 at 8:36 AM.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 24th Apr 17, 3:17 PM
    • 845 Posts
    • 466 Thanks
    phillw
    If he tells the truth and it turns out that he's a victim then the marker might go. Trying to get rid of the marker is certainly not worth the risk in telling any lies whatsoever. The quicker he goes to the police and unburdens himself then the better he'll feel. If they don't have the guy who committed the fraud already, then securing his conviction will score a lot of points.
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 24th Apr 17, 3:36 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    Arleen
    If he tells the truth and it turns out that he's a victim then the marker might go.
    Originally posted by phillw
    People who are an actual victim of such fraud go to the bank/police and explain exactly what happened, not make up stories. But he did make up a story and tried to sell it to the bank to clear his name/save money/whatever. Of course if by some luck they will catch someone better than a casual mule due to OP cooperation then miracles can happen.
    • Silast5
    • By Silast5 28th Apr 17, 5:58 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Silast5
    A quick update
    The person I gave the card to was my mate at school and it has been reported to the police I got a crime reference number I have also kept evidence of text messages and emails.
    • Silast5
    • By Silast5 28th Apr 17, 6:12 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Silast5
    Sir I didn't make up any story I went to the police the person that I gave my bank details to was a guy I thought was my mate which was a very stupid decision I made from the way we got along it was very hard to believe that he actually did fraud with my account at that time. Now it's reported to the police and its under investigation. The guy has also been excluded from college.
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 28th Apr 17, 6:48 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    Arleen
    Sir I didn't make up any story I went to the police the person that I gave my bank details to was a guy I thought was my mate which was a very stupid decision I made from the way we got along it was very hard to believe that he actually did fraud with my account at that time. Now it's reported to the police and its under investigation. The guy has also been excluded from college.
    Good for you for finally doing the right thing. While you will have to live with the marker for next six years, it's part of the lesson. And now you don't have to worry about police coming after you, as would happen when police would inevitably catch your "friend" for something else.

If you want you could put a note on your credit report explaining that you were a victim of such fraud. It won't help much, but it may help some. Check out the details on experian: http://www.experian.co.uk/consumer/faq/AR5.html

You can also now try to approach your bank with the case number from coppers; maybe they will show mercy. Good time to go on your knees and begging for it. Be 100% honest, explain why you lied about "lost card" etc.ommit, omit anything. The truth and sincerity can do wonders in such cases, especially as they know this story all too well.
    Last edited by Arleen; 28-04-2017 at 6:52 PM.
    • Silast5
    • By Silast5 28th Apr 17, 7:37 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Silast5
    Sir just a quick question if my innocence have been proven by the police can cifas do anything? Also would banks really consider notice of correction?
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 28th Apr 17, 7:47 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    Arleen
    Sir just a quick question if my innocence have been proven by the police can cifas do anything? Also would banks really consider notice of correction?
    You are not innocent as you commited fraud at the very least when you lied to the bank when reporting card as lost. Get that into your head, as without understanding that there is no point for you to even talk with the bank. I'm not kidding, if you do not understand what wrong you did, you won't be sincere and if you are not, there is zero chance that you will get the cifas removed.

Maybe reread this topic from start to end multiple times, carefully.
    • Tygermoth
    • By Tygermoth 28th Apr 17, 7:50 PM
    • 1,288 Posts
    • 2,601 Thanks
    Tygermoth
    Would having a crime number prove you are innocent? would it not only show that it has been reported?
    Please note I have a cognitive disability - as such my wording can be a bit off, muddled, misspelt or in some cases i can miss out some words totally...
    • Silast5
    • By Silast5 28th Apr 17, 8:06 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Silast5
    I meant if After the investigation if I have been proved innocent.
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 28th Apr 17, 8:07 PM
    • 968 Posts
    • 712 Thanks
    Arleen
    You won't be proven innocent or guilty as you are not on trial. And for bank to put a fraud marker on you doesn't require criminal investigation as you've seen.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 28th Apr 17, 10:29 PM
    • 55,559 Posts
    • 48,922 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    What you did was in breach of the contractual terms that you accepted when opening the account. Nothing can change that now. Time passing is your only friend.
    "Wide diversification is only required when investors do not understand what they are doing." - Warren Buffett
    • Pound
    • By Pound 29th Apr 17, 9:37 PM
    • 2,631 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    Pound
    You won't be proven innocent or guilty as you are not on trial. And for bank to put a fraud marker on you doesn't require criminal investigation as you've seen.
    Even if there was a trial he wouldn't be proven innocent. A not guilty verdict doesn't necessarily mean a person is innocent.

• cj1974cr
    • By cj1974cr 7th May 17, 12:41 AM
    • 21 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    cj1974cr
    Ok here is some myth busting comments

CIFAS loading can last longer than 6 years
    The issue isn't about the bank card - it's the money or funds paid into the Barclays account
    You where given a right of appeal re/CIFAS and have 14 days to appeal.
    You can still challenge the CIFAS loading - but I don't rate your chance

The others comments re/fraud are valid , but also the bank may have to consider Money Laundering, remember when you opened your account they ask you for ID/Proof address.

Question: Where did that Money come from, and why didn't they pay it into their account ??

Whilst you didn't know what your friends was doing with the account . It's the risk you present repeating those actions.
    • Silast5
    • By Silast5 28th Jun 17, 2:46 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Silast5
    Just a quick update I have made a complaint to the bank and I've been told the marker would be removed.
    • Blahblah123
    • By Blahblah123 3rd Oct 17, 11:42 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Blahblah123
    Hey, I'm in the same situation as you, handed my card to my friend, yes I knowly knew what he was doing... I know I've done wrong, could you tell me what you said as a complaint to the bank?
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 4th Oct 17, 1:03 PM
    • 214 Posts
    • 137 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    If you knowingly knew what was going on. TBQFH that is your problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,605Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin