Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 22nd Apr 17, 8:48 PM
    • 160Posts
    • 476Thanks
    DaringToDream
    DaringToDream of a Debt Free Life!
    • 22nd Apr 17, 8:48 PM
    DaringToDream of a Debt Free Life! 22nd Apr 17 at 8:48 PM
    So here goes with a shiny new diary. I had one previously but seeing that i hadnít posted for years and my circumstances have massively changed (new job, new house, different (but not that new) partner), it seemed sensible to start afresh.

Iíve been a diary stalker (in a healthy way) for years, and a few of you have really helped and inspired me over the past few months. In particular- Bobarella, Louby, Poor Single Lady, Coastal Chick, Mummy2Girls- thank you!!!

I have debt, and as hard as it is admitting it myself, have been in debt since i graduated uni almost 10 years ago. This includes still being in my student overdraft (which is thankfully still interest free) which is something iím not proud of.

So i have a few debt goals to keep me focused:

Goal 1) Pay of student overdraft by end of July 2017 (10 years after i graduated!!!) This one may actually slip a bit depending on how well i do with other debts as the first £1000 is currently interest free so it makes sense to throw this money at other debts first, but paying it off is my goal, or at least reducing it before the interest free level drops to £500 at the end of July.

Goal 2) Pay off ccís

Goal 3) Save to pay off my car finance. Itís currently sitting at £11,200. I stupidly took it out on PCP and what a stupid decision - totally think this is the next misselling scandal. I paid off a lump sum thinking i could keep my monthly payments the same and just reduce my balloon payment, but apparently this isnít allowed, so of the £120 i now pay each month, £110 is interest and only £10 capital repayment , so this loan has to go ASAP. Unfortunately the balloon payment is £11000 so itíll take me a while to save this up, but i reckon if i can get close-ish i can get a 0% card or lower interest loan and pay it off and save paying so much interest. I commute a minimum of 300 miles a week though so a comfortable and reliable car is a must- just need to pay it off.

That's probably long enough for an opening post. Will post more debt details below.

DTD xx
Page 9
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 29th Nov 17, 9:33 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Ugh this week is turning into the week from hell, absolutely horrendous at work and actually burst into tears in a meeting which is so unlike me so I definitely need a new job if this is what the stress of my current one is doing to me!

Been a fairly low spend week. 2 days so far on expenses and only gone minimally over the limit, although I had buy some tights (again!!) due to laddering them- really must carry a spare pair in my handbag so I don't have to keep paying london emergency tights prices!!

Payday tomorrow so can't wait to update figures. Don't think there'll be a huge improvement this month because of Christmas pressies, or next month because car insurance is due, but if I can get the balance to still go down then I'll still be happy!

Managed to wangle 3 days working from home next week which is so rare in my line of work so am really looking forward to it, plus will save on petrol. Exercise class tonight which I think will become a regular occurance, really enjoyed it and got a good workout so £5 well spent! 1 day Til payday and 2 to the weekend- wooo!!

Xx
    Total Debt Paid: £562.6 / £16062.60 (3.5% debt gone)
    Holiday fund £1400/ £1400
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 1st Dec 17, 5:05 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    So payday yesterday and have done the shuffle today and can report that now have paid of 3.5% of the debt. Will post a proper post later but i've made a few steps towards moving things onto lower interest rates which will make the debt a lot more manageable in future, plus obviously intend to make overpayments where i can. All in all a decent start to the weekend! DTD x
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 4th Dec 17, 4:55 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    So another week started, 14 working days Til I finish for Christmas- counting it down!!!

Have decided to set myself a budget each week to try and control the spiralling expenses claims. Or at least help me keep track better! I'm going to allocate myself £50 cash at the start of each week, and that is to cover food and fuel (although I've started the month with half a tank so a bit of a head start). I've already started this week, so budget left is £40. In London tomorrow and working from home for the rest of the week, and have a decent freezer and fridge. Anything left will go in a pot for the Christmas shop!!

All my Christmas pressies have been bought and paid for, I have £35 in nectar points which will go towards Christmas food, along with any extra money I have left over. Still not sure yet if OH will be home for Christmas, so not sure where I'll be. If he doesn't make it back I'll go to my parents so may not have to spend much on food at all.

Car insurance is due on the 26th so all survey, eb*y money is going towards that. Will pay on cc to get the points and then pay off come payday on the 1st Jan.

Otherwise just plodding along, applied for some more jobs so hopefully the new year will see me move jobs into something I enjoy more!
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 5th Dec 17, 10:05 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    So another low spend day today. Only went 80p over my expenses limit, and then spent 6.90 in the supermarket getting some fresh food bits. Have £23 of weekly spend budget left, but fridge is full and won't need any petrol. £20 of the money I've spent so far is also reclaimable on expenses so will appear back in my bank account in a few day, however I'm still counting this as money spent to a) keep me accountable and b) give me a buffer at the end of the month.

Exercise class tomorrow which will be £5 but otherwise shouldn't need to spend anything. And hopefully a quiet rest of week working from home and catching up on the house/sleep!
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 7th Dec 17, 8:53 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Working from home today which is amazing- it's something i never get to do normally and such a novelty to actually be able to get all my chores done that i can't normally get done in the week. Plus i've gained 3 hours today just by not having to commute!!!

Had a decent day yesterday, had to pop out and get stamps for Christmas cards so £6.72 spent, but didn't end up going to my exercise class because i've hurt my knee so that saved £5. Will try and run later and see how my knee holds up, which will at least be free, just in case i have to give up after 5 minutes!

Did a few surveys yesterday and got a few things listed on eb*y too, plus a box of old cds and dvds for music magpie- only £5 but gets rid of clutter and is a little something extra to add to the pot!

Starting to feel a bit more on top of things, the girls want me to go into London this weekend, but with the cost of the train in, let alone any drinks or food once i'm there i think it will end up a pricy weekend. Would be really nice to see them, and i don't get to that often now i've moved away, but i just can't really justify the cost, especially with Christmas and lots of other spends coming up. I'm the first one from that group to have to leave our little London bubble for family commitments, and i don't think they realise how different my life is now, and how if i'm commuting 16 hrs a week the last thing i want to do at the weekend is get back on a train! Can't help but wonder if i'll actually have any friends left by the time i pay off this debt if i keep being a scrooge like this- maybe i need to put some money aside now and get something in diaries in the new year, or just bite the bullet and go down!

DTD x
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 7th Dec 17, 10:21 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    NSD today, plus managed a good run so free exercise (woo hoo!). Also managed a few surveys so technically I'm up!

Should be a low spend day tomorrow, going to head into town to pick up an xmas parcel I ordered on line (last of the Christmas pressies) and also grab a few other bits I need with my boots points. I also need milk and teabags so will grab them while I'm out.

I've decided to go see the girls on Saturday though. I'm just going for the day but after working from home the last few days i need to get out and I think talking to the girls about work stress will actually be really helpful. Only 2 working weeks Til Christmas, and fingers crossed OH will make it home in time (I hate the reliance on flights, especially now we are in winter and the weather is bad)

DTD x
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 8th Dec 17, 4:16 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    £30 spent today, including some bits of food, toiletries for me and also some toiletries for a Christmas package for a homeless charity that i am putting together. We may have debt but we are very lucky in all that we have so diverting a little bit of debt repayment money to get some things that will make a big difference to someone else is a no brainer for me.

Going to go to London to see the girls tomorrow. Money may be stressing me out but i think i need some company and some support. I'm finding the run up to Christmas really quite hard in OH's absence, and because he has been working away we're prioritising his family when he gets back, so i'm feeling a bit emotional not knowing when/if i'll be seeing my own family over Christmas. I know this is just part of growing up and that being part of a couple is give and take, but it's the first year that i'll be without my family at Christmas, and without knowing if/when OH will make it home, and when we're having stepson etc. i'm finding all the uncertainty a bit overwhelming. Think this is just the calm before the storm, sitting here on my own and then it'll be mayhem once he's back and we're trying to fit in seeing everyone!

Got another bid on an item i'm selling, and did a few more surveys today, so waiting for a bit more to go to payable and then i'll cash out on prolific. Bath, chick flick and an early night tonight for me!
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 10th Dec 17, 9:55 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Snow day!!! Absolutely bucketing it down here! Absolutely beautiful but already thinking about how the commute is going to be tomorrow- have a feeling 2 hours is going to turn into 3+, but they've got today to try and get the trains running I suppose!

Didn't end up going out with the girls yesterday, wasn't very well so annoyingly had to cancel. So In theory should have been an NSD, except then I did some online shopping and got some shoes for a wedding we are going to (in the sale and used cashback) and also got a Christmas eve spa morning for OH and I when he gets home. Wasn't hugely expensive (£32 each including breakfast and 4 hours of spa facilities) but that time together will just be amazing, and if it turns out he's not able to get back for Christmas then I'll see if my mum wants to meet me there instead. The spends went on cc but will chip away at it using eb*y sales, cash back and prolific, and then either clear at the end of the month with what is left from this months budget (if I'm good as stick to the budget i should have some left over for overpayments), and clear the rest on payday. That means I should go into Jan with no cc debt, and only the loan to work on. Nice little goal to keep me on track over the festive period!

Should be an NSD today, and hopefully roads will clear enough later to get to my exercise class. Plan for today is To hand deliver cards to neighbors, tidy house, do some work and finish the wrapping! 1 eb*y sale ending later which will definitely sell, and 5 more with no bids but some watchers so fingers crossed for some more sales!

Enjoy the snow for those of you who have it. DTD xx
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 11th Dec 17, 7:08 AM
    • 160 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Morning morning.

Managed my NSD yesterday, plus got a couple of eb*y sales so will post those today along with my aunts Christmas present. Chipping away slowly at that cc debt, between sales and prolific that is due i should have enough to pay £20 off which nearly covers the wedding shoes!

In London today, figured that the train would be running better than the roads seeing as I live near a major train line but the roads are all tiny! Means I'm on expenses so should be a low spend day.

Work Christmas party this week so need to budget for that. Dinner and then a pub trip so will be spendy- trying to decide whether to drive home and therefore not drink, or I can book a room at work for £13 (we have accommodation for people who work shifts) but means I can have a drink and also save 60 miles of fuel so will offset it slightly! Either way will pretty much have to be NSDs the rest of the week to cover the cost!

Other than the party planning a really quiet week, a few exercise classes before the Christmas excesses, and a quiet weekend cleaning the house and getting sorted, just in case OH can make it home for Christmas!

DTD xx
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 11th Dec 17, 8:11 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Brr it's so cold. Got home from work and the house was freezing so whacked up the heating but then had to go sit in the drive and turn OH's car over so it doesn't die in the cold. Meant to be -7 here tonight so dreading the commute tomorrow!! Already got 2 duvets on my bed but might leave the heating on low all night to take the edge off!

Relatively low spending day, only spent £2 over my expenses budget. Then posted my parcels, although also posted some Christmas gifts up to family which cost £6, but not sure I'll see them for months so important to get something up to them! But that ate up some of the eb*y profits!

£48 left of budget for the week. Still got just under half tank of fuel, and only real planned expense will be the Christmas party, otherwise need a frugal (and healthy) week.

Fingers crossed the heating kicks in soon and the house warms up- brrr! Xx
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 12th Dec 17, 7:23 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Finally back home after a really cold day in London. Only spent £2 over my expenses limit which was good.

£11 landed in my account from prolific so has gone straight to my cc. Shoe delivery has arrived but they are with my neighbour and they are out so i can't get them- i want my shoes!!!

Otherwise just trying to get through this week, and get to the weekend. Not long until OH home!

DTD xx
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 13th Dec 17, 8:15 PM
    • 160 Posts
    • 476 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    £6.05 spent today so a low spend day. Needed some milk, fruit and yogurt for breakfasts so popped to supermarket on way home which was £5, paid £1 into the brew fund for milk, teas and coffees at work this week, and then got a lollipop from the tuck shop for 5p because I needed a sugar hit mid afternoon!

Now have £39.50 for the rest of the week. Work Christmas do tomorrow night which is dinner and then pub. I'll be driving so hoping I can do the night on £30 or less. Will need to put £10 in car which will use up rest of budget so will be eating out of freezer the rest of the weekend, but I have some good stuff in so shouldn't be too painful, plus i want to eat stuff up to make space for Christmas leftovers!

Going to do the supermarket shop this weekend for all the Christmas bits that won't go off. I have £32.50 of nectar points so hopefully that will cover everything and then we can just get meat/veg in when OH gets home (not buying anything that will spoil because don't want to curse him getting back- so no turkey until his feet are firmly in the country!).

Will have to dip into emergency stash money this weekend too because the heavy snow seems to have bent and warped my rear wiper blade, so I'll pick up a new one at the weekend and then learn how to fit it online so i don't have to pay for fitting- wish me luck!!

2 eb*y sales tonight which should be another £5 to the cc tonight. Chipping away at it!!

DTD x
    Holiday Spends £0/ £250
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

614Posts Today

4,359Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Exactly. Politics already suffered from our adversarial system - pushing people to oppose not compromise. That ha? https://t.co/gETVyA6HWA

• RT @bbclaurak: Thanks Martin - we know we can?t please all the people all the time (stands by for grief) but try hard to show how it actual?

• Morning. I'm on my way to my last @GMB 7:40 deals of the week of 2017. This week including gift card warning, free? https://t.co/2dcNviXxsN

• Follow Martin