Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 22nd Apr 17, 8:48 PM
    • 139Posts
    • 398Thanks
    DaringToDream
    DaringToDream of a Debt Free Life!
    • 22nd Apr 17, 8:48 PM
    DaringToDream of a Debt Free Life! 22nd Apr 17 at 8:48 PM
    So here goes with a shiny new diary. I had one previously but seeing that i hadnít posted for years and my circumstances have massively changed (new job, new house, different (but not that new) partner), it seemed sensible to start afresh.

Iíve been a diary stalker (in a healthy way) for years, and a few of you have really helped and inspired me over the past few months. In particular- Bobarella, Louby, Poor Single Lady, Coastal Chick, Mummy2Girls- thank you!!!

I have debt, and as hard as it is admitting it myself, have been in debt since i graduated uni almost 10 years ago. This includes still being in my student overdraft (which is thankfully still interest free) which is something iím not proud of.

So i have a few debt goals to keep me focused:

Goal 1) Pay of student overdraft by end of July 2017 (10 years after i graduated!!!) This one may actually slip a bit depending on how well i do with other debts as the first £1000 is currently interest free so it makes sense to throw this money at other debts first, but paying it off is my goal, or at least reducing it before the interest free level drops to £500 at the end of July.

Goal 2) Pay off ccís

Goal 3) Save to pay off my car finance. Itís currently sitting at £11,200. I stupidly took it out on PCP and what a stupid decision - totally think this is the next misselling scandal. I paid off a lump sum thinking i could keep my monthly payments the same and just reduce my balloon payment, but apparently this isnít allowed, so of the £120 i now pay each month, £110 is interest and only £10 capital repayment , so this loan has to go ASAP. Unfortunately the balloon payment is £11000 so itíll take me a while to save this up, but i reckon if i can get close-ish i can get a 0% card or lower interest loan and pay it off and save paying so much interest. I commute a minimum of 300 miles a week though so a comfortable and reliable car is a must- just need to pay it off.

That's probably long enough for an opening post. Will post more debt details below.

DTD xx
Page 6
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 4th Jul 17, 7:00 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Morning all, another day and another diary entry written on the train into London. Working there today and tomorrow which will be good money wise as they will cover my food and also means I'll save about 130 miles worth of fuel. Being on expenses also means I can splurge on a fancy coffee which I never allow myself any more if I'm paying .

Spent £10 yesterday on a pub quiz entry and a round of drinks. Had a bit of a rubbish day yesterday so had to drag myself out of the house to go to the quiz,l. But had a great time, and managed to speak to OH when I got home so the day definitely ended better than it started.

No weight lost last week which is frustrating as I ate really well and exercised loads, but hopefully this week will be better. Got the details for the hen do and they have done the catering based on 2 bottles of wine per person per day , I'll never drink all that, but on the plus side at least it means I won't have to spend any more on booze!!

DTD xx
    Total Debt Paid: £1091.87 / £16062.60 (6.8% debt gone)
    Holiday fund £0/1400
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 4th Jul 17, 8:10 AM
    • 4,260 Posts
    • 7,691 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Is it worth closing cc2 so you are not tempted to spend on it?
    Countdown to early retirement on 21.12.17 3 months to go.
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 4th Jul 17, 6:39 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Hi enthusiastic, I really should close it I know but for some reason kinda like having it there as a security blanket! I'm not tempted to spend on it, even though it is in my wallet, but I will think it over. It's linked up with the current account that has the overdraft on it, and i was intending to close them both once OD was paid off, but now they've upgraded me to a good account with a great linked regular saver, so might be better to stay put. Decisions decisions! Is it better to get rid of unused credit then? Or more just get rid of the temptation?

DTD x
    Holiday fund £0/1400
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 4th Jul 17, 6:52 PM
    • 4,260 Posts
    • 7,691 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Lenders tend to look at available credit against percentage used when credit scoring so if you get rid of a lot of credit cards and just keep one which is almost full that is generally a black mark. It is more getting rid of the temptation to use it that I generally would advise closing one down especially if you have taken out a consolidation loan as you have. Often people tend to put borrowing on loans to the back of their mind as the payment is for a fixed period and if they then ramp up their spending on the now empty credit card it compounds their debt problems and delays their DFD massively. An emergency savings fund should be your security blanket.
    Countdown to early retirement on 21.12.17 3 months to go.
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 4th Jul 17, 8:17 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Thanks enthusiastic, i do actually have an emergency fund stashed away, but i don't want to touch it. Will definitely think about closing the other cc though, especially as i rarely use it and hadn't used it for years before we moved and i needed it for house expenses!
    Holiday fund £0/1400
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 5th Jul 17, 7:00 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Shattered this morning, on the train back into work and I'm worried I might fall asleep. Going to try and distract myself with some celeb gossip to stay awake .

Long working day yesterday, so crashed out on the sofa with some chocolate when I got home. Honestly not sure how I'm going to come with working this weekend when I am this shattered already!

Spent £8 over my expenses allowance yesterday (including the chocolate) so I will have to cover this. Not too bad though, and because I did a long day was able to claim for dinner too so have saved the chicken I was defrosting for dinner tonight. £8 total spend isn't too bad though, and haven't used my car to commute yet this month so reckon I'll be able to get to next Friday before I have to refuel. Need to still buy some paint for the house, but otherwise everything is budgeted for, leaving me with £150 in the food/petrol fund (with a full tank currently and full cupboards/freezer), and £200 in the fun fund, although I want to save some of this for the end of the month when OH is home. Overall going to be tight this month but with a bit of discipline I'll be able to do it!
    Holiday fund £0/1400
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 5th Jul 17, 7:18 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Ooh and forgot the good news, OH sent me some money to match what I had put in the holiday pot so now stands at about £165! At this rate we should be able to pay the deposit out of all these little bits and eb*y sales which would be amazing!!
    Holiday fund £0/1400
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 6th Jul 17, 9:46 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 3,681 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    I hope your commute isn't too bad. I think you are at least an hour ahead of most people. I tend to slope into London just before 9.

It's not too bad generally but this time of year and start of December are the worst. The rest is easy but right now it's hard and long and hot. And that's before any delays or the days when everything is cancelled.
    And I think all commuters feel the same right now. Not sure if that's helps tho.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 7th Jul 17, 4:24 PM
    • 5,419 Posts
    • 16,527 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Hope you've made it through Friday without being too tired DTD.

How lovely of OH to send money for the holiday pot xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 7th Jul 17, 5:44 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Thanks mummytogirls, it's hard him working away so it's really nice to have the focus of a holiday to save for and look forward to when his current contract ends!

Been a low spend rest of week, on my way into job 2 now which means I've had to pay for my train travel into london. Working this weekend should net me around £160 towards debt repayment after tax etc, but I won't get this until next payday so a while to wait! Hopefully a fairly low spend weekend as I'll be working, I'll be able to claim a bit of expenses for food but the allowance is fairly low so won't cover everything.

3 weeks Til OH is home and 3.5 weeks Til payday. 1 week Til first payment of the loan come out so I can start reducing those numbers! I'm always counting everything down, should probably stop and just appreciate the moment more !

Hope you all have a great weekend

DTD xx
    Holiday fund £0/1400
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 10th Jul 17, 9:28 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Back into another week of money saving! Feeling a bit fed up today, seems like all I do is work and I'm frankly just exhausted, working 2 jobs is tough because you rarely get a day off, and sometimes it just doesn't feel worth it. Really missing OH too today, I know we don't have a choice but sometimes the separation is so hard, and I know I'm going to find it really tough at the hen do this weekend when everyone is talking about their families and I have to spend so much time alone. Just need to keep trying to think of the reason we are doing this all.

Back in London tomorrow so will be a low spend day, then need to get out for a run because I've just eaten rubbish all weekend, probably another reason why I'm feeling bleugh! Bit of trashy tv and then bed for me, sure after a good nights sleep I'll be back and raring to go for the week!

DTD xx
    Holiday fund £0/1400
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 11th Jul 17, 6:53 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Morning! Back on the train for my normal commuting diary update !

Feeling far less sorry for myself this morning, had a mope and a little tear last night and then gave myself a stern talking to! Need to update my figures but not quite sure where I am because of expenses flying in and out. Know things aren't too bad but cc might have crept up with some work expenses so will have to keep an eye on that, and wait until everything has gone in and out and work out where I am.

Otherwise not too bad, should be a low spend day because I am on expenses for breakfast and lunch and have one of my batch cooked dinners defrosting in the fridge. Need to get back on the healthy eating wagon!

DTD xx
    Holiday fund £0/1400
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 13th Jul 17, 6:59 AM
    • 139 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Morning all. Thursday morning so nearly the weekend! Getting worried about this month, think things are gonna be super tight! Went shopping yesterday and bought myself a few new clothes. Haven't bought myself anything for ages, but I noticed yesterday that my work skirt was faded, my sleeve had a hole in, so I generally just looked a state! Have been wearing those clothes to death so I'm not surprised they've given up on me! Bought a new dress, skirt and top (using discount) which has gone on cc so now I'm feeling guilty. Really need to get past this thing if not being able to spend money on myself. Cc will probably still go down this month, but once I include the curtains and paint I had to buy for house this month it won't be going down by much. Overall debt will still have reduced though which is a positive, just want that cc gone!

Hen do this weekend. Once I factor in fuel whole thing will have cost me £350 . I swear people live in never land. I've always tried to go and be supportive but I end up spending so much money a year, and then can never afford a holiday myself . Need to try and get past the negativity around cost so I actually enjoy it. Have already decided I'm driving to the wedding and just won't drink so I don't have to pay for hotels and taxis.

In a foul stressed mood all week so need to get past this.
    Holiday fund £0/1400
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 17th Jul 17, 12:09 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Back from the hen do, was a lovely weekend and so nice to see everyone. Absolutely exhausted today and a bit overwhelmed at how much needs doing in the house after being away last weekend and working the weekend before. Feel like i've barely been here and everything is just out of control so have taken today off to try and get on top of things. I have tomorrow off too for the curtain fitter so should be plenty of time to catch up on everything. Think i've just been trying to do too much between my 2 jobs (1ft, 1pt), my freelance work, uni course, and trying to also catch up with friends, so i've run myself into the ground and just got a bit overwhelmed today. Seriously thinking about cashing in my emergency fund just to pay off the OD and CC (which i think will have increased this month because of having to pay for curtains). This will give my some breathing space but will also reduce the emergency fund to less than £1000 so will leave me a bit exposed financially should anything need doing in the house.

Have also had a massive rant at Hitachi finance this morning re. my loan. I made what i thought was an overpayment this month, but actually they just reduced my direct debit. According to the girl on the phone you can only make overpayments if the amount is equal to or more that your direct debit, so i'd need to save up overpayments of £350 before i could overpay anything. This completely kills off my idea of overpaying £100 a month, and isn't at all clear from their online info. Have emailed to complain this morning, but how ridiculous. It's all just a money making scam for them rather than helping people to borrow responsibly. So i'm going to have to do the very un-MSE thing of saving lump sums in a much lower interest account before paying off the higher interest loan .

Ugh rant over, hopefully now i've caught up on sleep and i can get on top the house/finances then everything will seem a lot less stressful!
    Holiday fund £0/1400
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 17th Jul 17, 12:13 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    To keep me focused:
    Paint the kitchen (before shutters installed tomorrow)
    Mow the lawn- Done
    Go to the dump- Done
    Clean the kitchen -Done (ish)
    Hoover
    Clean the bathrooms
    Sort out eb*y sales
    Sort out finances- Done as much as i can sort until payday, but back on top of everything
    Take back some of the clothes i bought- Done £34 back to CC
    Email some uni course people i met at a conference last week.
    Try and make a start on cleaning the house before OH is home next week
    Book opticians appointment (glasses are giving me headaches again but can't really justify more spends on new glasses so putting it off- stupid i know!).

But first i'm gonna have a cuppa!
    Last edited by DaringToDream; 17-07-2017 at 4:56 PM.
    Holiday fund £0/1400
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 17th Jul 17, 5:40 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Third update of the day now that the stupid (not overpaid) loan payment has gone out. When i spoke to them earlier i changed the payment date to the 1st so i'll be able to do 1 monthly update and keep on top of everything better, rather than things going out at different points in the month. No response yet to my complaint though.

CC1: £1021.82/1186.47 (-£164.65)
    CC2: £0
    OD: £847.03/876.13 (-£29.10)
    Loan: £13848.31/£14000 (-£152.69)
    Total debt £15717.16/£16062.60 (-£345.44)

So £345.44 paid off this month which isn't really good enough. Next month isn't going to be much better, but at least now hen party and curtains will be paid for. Have £75 in the pot for the rest of the month, but have a well stocked fridge freezer and cupboard so food-wise will be do-able, and will probably only need to put in another £20 of fuel, so hopefully will have a little bit left over at the end of the month to put towards a big shop just before payday of treats for OH when he is home NEXT WEEK .
    Holiday fund £0/1400
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 18th Jul 17, 1:16 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Curtains and shutters have finally been fitted. Love them so much that i actually did a dance around the lounge as soon as the fitter had left. As OH said to me yesterday, it'll be the first time in 2 years that we haven't had boxes/towels up covering windows .

On course for another NSD today (after one yesterday) which is good. In fact on both days i've managed to make money so really positive.

Done a few surveys on PA (they only seem to be there in the daytime for me, not in the evenings/weekends, so not ideal for a FT worker). Up to £2 payable and £2.60 pending already so hopefully will be able to add a bit more to that today and make the most of being off work. £10 cash back from a house purchase also became payable so has been transferred straight to the holiday fund which now stands at £170.27 , amazing how all those little bits really add up. Have also transferred the £30 i wanted to overpay to the loan into my savings account, so that's the start of a lump sum loan overpayment!

Still need to do a few jobs from yesterday's list, including painting the kitchen. Think i'll try to do that this afternoon. Now we've got the fancy new shutters it seems a shame to have big test splodges of paint on the wall next to them! Have also finally booked an eye appointment to check out my sore eye/headaches. It's not for a few weeks but have managed to dig out my old glasses and they seem to be making things better (although it might be psychological), but will wear these for a few days and see if there is any difference. Still need to sort out some eb*y sales and relist some bits that didn't sell.

Starting to feel a bit more on top of everything now i've caught up on sleep and the house isn't such a mess. Went to an exercise class last night too which was so hard but really made me happy because i could see some real progress in my fitness, and was able to do things i would never have been able to do a few months ago! So the dark cloud has finally lifted, just need to shift this pesky headache now!
    Holiday fund £0/1400
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 18th Jul 17, 7:29 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    So kitchen has been painted and looks great (if i say so myself). Only did one wall but will try and do another at the weekend if i have time. If not i think OH is keen to do some painting when he gets home.

Otherwise have caught up on laundry and had a general tidy up. PA is now standing at 3.55 confirmed and 4.50 tracking so if i can get a few more in i'll be able to cash out before payday at the end of the month. Back at work tomorrow which i am dreading, but all good, has been a luxury to be at home for 2 days, during the daytime, and only 7 more working days to go before OH is home and i have 2 weeks off . Managed to stick to my NSD, so that is 2 in a row. On expenses tomorrow so won't be a NSD but will hopefully be low at least!

DTD xx
    Holiday fund £0/1400
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 19th Jul 17, 8:51 PM
    • 139 Posts
    • 398 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Another day done, was on expenses but ended up buying a fancy juice and a cuppa so went £5.50 over my expenses budget. Those were my only spends though, was really fancying a curry so was tempted to go and get a ready meal, but was strong and came home and had the chicken and veg i had defrosted.

Have done a couple more surveys on PA- currently balance is at £4.55 with £8.90 pending. Not bad in 2 days so fingers crossed for a few more this week and try and get it up to £20 to cash out before payday. Got to get a decent first payout so Hidden gets a good referrers fee .

Feeling exhausted again, am putting it down to the storm last night keeping me awake so fingers crossed i sleep better tonight and then can hopefully start feeling a bit more energetic. Exercise class tomorrow so need some energy by then! No more London days this week, and finally have curtains so am counting down to Saturday morning and the prospect of sleeping in past sunrise!!
    Holiday fund £0/1400
    • Hiddenidenity
    • By Hiddenidenity 20th Jul 17, 11:06 AM
    • 4,764 Posts
    • 20,718 Thanks
    Hiddenidenity
    So close to OH being home now I love reading your countdowns.

Well done on the painting Amazing how much better it can make you feel.

Hope you catch up on sleep, have a lovely day x
    DFW £1313.71/£7348.71 Rent Arrears £466.28/£3381.28

Rock bottom became the solid foundation on which I rebuilt my life.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

202Posts Today

1,461Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @thismorning: 'Sometimes the best gift is releasing somebody else from the obligation of having to give to you' says @MartinSLewis. Do y?

• Shana tova umetuka - a sweet Jewish New Year to all celebrating. I won't be online the rest of t'week, as I take the time to be with family

• Dear Steve. Please note doing a poll to ask people's opinion does not in itself imply an opinion! https://t.co/UGvWlMURxy

• Follow Martin