Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 22nd Apr 17, 8:48 PM
    • 156Posts
    • 449Thanks
    DaringToDream
    DaringToDream of a Debt Free Life!
    • 22nd Apr 17, 8:48 PM
    DaringToDream of a Debt Free Life! 22nd Apr 17 at 8:48 PM
    So here goes with a shiny new diary. I had one previously but seeing that i hadnít posted for years and my circumstances have massively changed (new job, new house, different (but not that new) partner), it seemed sensible to start afresh.

Iíve been a diary stalker (in a healthy way) for years, and a few of you have really helped and inspired me over the past few months. In particular- Bobarella, Louby, Poor Single Lady, Coastal Chick, Mummy2Girls- thank you!!!

I have debt, and as hard as it is admitting it myself, have been in debt since i graduated uni almost 10 years ago. This includes still being in my student overdraft (which is thankfully still interest free) which is something iím not proud of.

So i have a few debt goals to keep me focused:

Goal 1) Pay of student overdraft by end of July 2017 (10 years after i graduated!!!) This one may actually slip a bit depending on how well i do with other debts as the first £1000 is currently interest free so it makes sense to throw this money at other debts first, but paying it off is my goal, or at least reducing it before the interest free level drops to £500 at the end of July.

Goal 2) Pay off ccís

Goal 3) Save to pay off my car finance. Itís currently sitting at £11,200. I stupidly took it out on PCP and what a stupid decision - totally think this is the next misselling scandal. I paid off a lump sum thinking i could keep my monthly payments the same and just reduce my balloon payment, but apparently this isnít allowed, so of the £120 i now pay each month, £110 is interest and only £10 capital repayment , so this loan has to go ASAP. Unfortunately the balloon payment is £11000 so itíll take me a while to save this up, but i reckon if i can get close-ish i can get a 0% card or lower interest loan and pay it off and save paying so much interest. I commute a minimum of 300 miles a week though so a comfortable and reliable car is a must- just need to pay it off.

That's probably long enough for an opening post. Will post more debt details below.

DTD xx
Page 2
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 29th Apr 17, 9:32 AM
    • 1,099 Posts
    • 4,146 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    I was thinking how can you spend £40 in Lids- but I suppose if you got all the cleaning stuff. (And maybe yours is bigger than mine!) I need to spend more time there. Have become very lazybones on the shopping. I get the washing machine tablets and they seem to do same job as the expensive branded ones.

soubds like it's going well. Hope you enjoy the long weekend. I am beyond excited by 3 days off work. xxx
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 29th Apr 17, 11:19 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Hi PSL- happy long weekend! I did wonder too how I'd spent so much in L*dl, but then when I looked at the receipt and took off the perfume and cleaning stuff it was only £25 which is much more reasonable, and that also included some steak (bit of a luxury but seeing as I get anaemic I'm claiming it as medicine )

Trying to do a NSD today but my watch battery has died so I really need to try and get that fixed, but I might try and put that off until next week.

Still no news on job so will have to wait til after long weekend now. And no change on eb*y and cashback. Trying not to get impatient!! Really
    Miss OH on these long weekends off too, but he'll be home for the next bank holiday .

Hope you all have a lovely long weekend.

DTD
    • LadyP01
    • By LadyP01 29th Apr 17, 2:26 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 219 Thanks
    LadyP01
    Hey daring to dream, funny i was reading yours whilst you were reading mine!
    Thank god its pay day! Iv been so excited about it, i never even used to notice payday had happened but now im budgetting im more aware and thats better.
    Hope your interview gets back to you soon.
    Also lidle perfumes sound good. Iv been on a beauty overhall, luckily as im
    At the begining of my journey i have lots of beauty products to use up. I love a good perfume i find saver*s Is good for perfumes aswell.

Ill be back to see about your interview
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 29th Apr 17, 6:08 PM
    • 50 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Hi DTD,

Is your OH working over the long weekend? Are you finding lots of things to keep you occupied?
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 29th Apr 17, 9:26 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    Kitten868
    I'm going to say the holy grail of naughty on this site but i feel I should say it. I'm guessing your credit rating isn't in the toilet as you bought a car recently so why don't you get a consolidation loan? Surely £16k at 3% so you can actually pay it down would be better than all those awful rates you have now. I know other people on this board love yopa loans as you can overpay without penalty. This way you can't get any more debt as there's no more credit cards. Just an idea as your rates are evil! That car sounds like massive Apr!

You're doing great. keep up the good work xxx
    Loan 1 £7100/£8000
    Loan 2 £5100/£5800
    Total £12200/£13800 12% PAID
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 29th Apr 17, 9:49 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Kitten, thanks for your post- i had considered taking out a consolidation loan but when i did the soft checks the APRs i was offered weren't that much better than what i have now. My credit rating is good but we've not long bought our house so i'm guessing the mortgage credit check is why the APRs offered are higher. Most of the cc debt is from the move, so i'm hoping to have it paid off in the next 4 months (aiming to pay £750 a month plus my bonus which is due in a few months, so hopefully on track to do it), and my OD is interest free so i'm happy ish to stay in that to help save and pay off the car, and then hopefully in a year or so i'll be able to take out a smaller loan at a better rate to pay off the car (if that makes sense).

Blue eyed girl- OH is an engineer on oil rigs so tends to work 4 weeks on, 2 off, although it varies. I'm used to him being away but just sucks sometimes when he's away and all my friends are busy doing things with their OH's/families!

Have had another bid on ebay so currently standing to make £7.20 before fees. Still 18 hours left so hopefully will get some other bids in, would like to get it up to a tenner!!!
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 29th Apr 17, 10:05 PM
    • 5,621 Posts
    • 17,914 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Evening DTD,

Just found your diary and had a read through.

Well done in starting a new diary

I used to struggle with spending money on myself but it has got easier over time. Not sure light shades would be paid for out of my fun budget though xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 29th Apr 17, 10:22 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Haha thanks Mummytogirls! I lived in rental for so long that at the moment decorating the house is really fun- even cleaning it is, know that won't last long though

Hate being paid so early- feel really good having a NSD today and then realise that it's not even the start of the month yet!!
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 30th Apr 17, 11:04 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    So i think my plans for another NSD today have been well and truly scuppered. I woke up this morning and went for a 5.5 mile run, the longest i've done in a while so was feeling all proud and virtuous. Then i got home and looked at my phone and it was dead . Screen was going all crazy and it kept rebooting. Now it won't even turn on at all. The phone is almost 3 years old and i knew it was on its way out, but i was hoping it would last until July when my regular saver emergency fund matures.

Given the fact that OH works away and i've recently moved to a new area my phone really is my lifeline to the outside world (we don't have a landline or anything), plus the phone is so old it will cost more to fix than it is worth. So i've decided to take the hit and buy a new phone out of my salary from job 2 which is due to be paid tomorrow (i'll put in on cc and then just pay it straight off). I did look at changing my contract and getting a phone through that, but my sim-only deal is only £9 per month, and if i switched onto a contract including a phone the cost would be almost the same for 1 year of a 2 year contract as buying the phone outright. So although it's a big hit now, it will be more MSE in the long run. So annoyed though and means i probably won't be able to get my debt total to under £5000 this month. Maybe i should make it a challenge and if i get lucky with e*ay, get some cash back payable and have some more NSDs i might still do it!

Going for a shower now and have my phone on the radiator just in case some rain got in (even though it was in a waterproof case), so hoping that when i come back down it will have magically fixed itself. Fingers crossed!!!
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 30th Apr 17, 4:23 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    New phone has been bought, massive sad face. I suppose the positive point is that i've been able to cover an emergency like needing a new phone, and debt has still gone down this month. It's all thanks to having 2 jobs though so perhaps i'll have to stop any thoughts of quitting job 2 until i've paid of the debt and built up enough of an emergency fund.

Been feeling a bit sorry for myself so spending the day batch cooking so i can have a super cheap week and try and save some of the phone money back. Eb*y sales have ended at £8.50 which will be transferred over to cc, and i'm going to go on a listing spree to try and make a bit more to try and get that debt as close to £5000 as i can this month. Think i may have a little left over from last month, which i can transfer, but want to check when everything goes in/out on the 2nd so i don't get carried away and end up short!
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 30th Apr 17, 6:23 PM
    • 5,621 Posts
    • 17,914 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Oh no to the phone DTD, you do need a phone though so a necessary spend in my opinion xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6936.45 - 04/09/17 - 70.99% paid off
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 1st May 17, 4:22 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    This long weekend has passed far too quickly :-( can't believe it is already back to work tomorrow!

Quite a spend day today, went to pick up a few last bits for OH's birthday pressie, which came to £29.50, although i used a £20 voucher so actually only paid £9.50. Then went to stock up on toiletries and vitamins, which came to £19.25, and then went to Mr S's to buy bubbles and snacks for a girls night i am hosting next weekend. Thought i'd do it this weekend while they had their points event on, but with other shopping it came to £66. None of this was on cc however so that is good, and the fridge and freezer are now rammed so hopefully will be a low spend week. Working in London tomorrow so will be a low spend day as i'm on expenses.

Otherwise has been a productive day, short run this morning, then did a tip run and then picked up my new lamp shade which looks gorgeous so glad i treated myself to it out of the fun budget! Shattered now though, need to do a bit of eb*y listing/sorting and then going to crash out on the sofa i think.

Payday 2 tomorrow so looking forward to paying off my phone and seeing those totals go down, albeit slightly less than i was hoping!

Hope you have all had a lovely relaxing long weekend.

DTD
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 2nd May 17, 7:30 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    So payday 2 and really demoralizing to see that the figures have barely gone down, despite having a bigger than normal paycheck, all because of that new phone. Really frustrating, but I suppose that I have to look at the positives that I was able to cover the phone without the debt going up! Just really wanted to get under £5000 this month as that would be a great psychological boost.

Figures stand at at

OD £958.07
    Cc1 £2849.53
    Cc 2 £1534.09

Total debt £5341.69 (was £5990 so £648.31 paid off last month).

At this rate it'll take me 8 months to pay it off so I need to up my game. I do have my work bonus hopefully coming in next month, and some cash back still to track so hopefully I can get this down. Will also update figures once all the payments have been credited to reflect eBay sales so hopefully this will go down some more!

Cheap day today as on expenses, gotta have as many no/low spend days as I can this month as OH is home towards the end of the month and I want some money left to be able to do stuff with him!

Hope the first day back after the bank holiday isn't too painful!

DTD
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 2nd May 17, 6:45 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Another low spend day done, only spent £3.50 and that was from cash from my purse and also included posting a letter and an eb*y parcel. Everything else was on expenses, now waiting for £42.50 back in expenses claims which should all be in by the end of the week! Have had 1 buyer on eb*y not pay yet which is annoying since the auctions finished 2 days ago . Why do people bid if they don't want to pay!

Think body is rebelling at being back at work today, was meant to be having a healthy tea, but was so tired have had an oven pizza (got to love the comfort food!!). Had to take care not to scoff the whole lot though, but have so far managed to save a couple of slices for work lunch tomorrow.

So glad this is a short week. I have £14 left in my purse and a fridge/freezer full of food so hopefully will make it to the weekend without having to spend any more. Have a tradesman coming round to sort something out on the house tomorrow which will be £80, (budgeted for, but need to remember to take cash out on my way home). Then my parents are coming down Friday and are treating me to dinner, and then out with the girls saturday. Fun budget will cover saturday's spends but need to try and have a cheap week until then, don't want to be skint by the time OH comes home next!!

Spoke to boss at job 2 today, no work for me this month, but got my name against some stuff in June and July so every little helps.
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 2nd May 17, 10:00 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    Kitten868
    You're all over it sounds like a plan. Keep up the good work xxx
    Loan 1 £7100/£8000
    Loan 2 £5100/£5800
    Total £12200/£13800 12% PAID
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 3rd May 17, 5:45 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Thanks kitten! This diary is really helping to keep me focused and plodding along!

Another low-ish spend day today. £1.22 on posting an eBay parcel and £5 in a colleagues leaving gift, is a friend so happy to put in that much but I seem to constantly be donating to leaving pressies at the moment.

Got a handyman round at the moment sorting out some stuff in the house. All budgeted for but alway find it awkward having strangers in my home! Just want it done so I can get on with my evening, but grateful he's been able to do it after work so I didn't need to take any more time off!

DTD
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 3rd May 17, 6:07 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Quick update on balances.

OD £958.72
    Cc1 £2848.25
    Cc 2 £1530.00 (had to make it a nice round number, will do the same with the others when I can!!)

Total debt £5336.97

So tempted to pay off the £36.97 and get it down to under £5300 but fingers crossed will get a few more eBay sales and get it down there!
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 4th May 17, 8:21 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Evening all,

NSD today so feeling really pleased . Had a decent ish day at work and colleague treated me to a coffee which was lovely. My job involves so much travel that at times it can be quite lonely so really nice to spend time with colleagues, and even better when it's free!!

Cc debt has crept slightly up coz I forgot that my car insurance is slightly higher at the new house so they have charged the difference to my cc, which is frustrating and means I need to find closer to £70 to get under the £5300 marker, but is a challenge I will take on! I have a few eB*y listings and still waiting on cash back to become payable so hopefully will get there.

Still no news on job- been a week now so guessing it is bad news but frustrating to be in limbo not knowing!!
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 6th May 17, 8:47 AM
    • 156 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Spendy weekend, parents up last night and girls up tonight so have had to get more food in than normal (went a little bit off the rails in The supermarket in my excitement at having my first guests to stay in the new house) plus i'm out for lunch with the girls later. Special occasion so definitely worth it though. I have taken out cash and am aiming to use that and once it is gone it is gone, no putting anything on credit cards!!

Got out for a run this morning to try and work off the pub lunch I'll be having later. OH home in under 2 weeks now . Still no news on the job I had interviewed for, really hoped I'd hear before the weekend!

DTD
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 7th May 17, 2:49 PM
    • 156 Posts
    • 449 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Another weekend flown by! Had a great time with my parents and my friends this weekend, and on course for a NSD today.

Spent quite a bit yesterday on lunch/drinks, but only £5 over what was budgeted for so not the end of the world. I had a really good time and it made me realise how much being skint has impacted on my social life because all my friends live quite far away now, and i cant often justify the cost to visit, so another incentive to get debt free.

OD £ £963.71
    cc1 £2899.71 (just paid off £3 to get it back under £2900)
    cc2 £ £1530.00

Total debt: £5393.42

Totals have gone up slightly as a few things to do with changing addresses on insurance policies have come out that i had forgotten about, and new house seems to be more expensive for insurance than old address, but logging it on here is definitely making me much more aware of what i'm spending. Been swagbucking and one polling today to try and get my totals closer to a cash out!

Wishing this month away at the moment. After seeing all my friends yesterday i'm feeling a bit sad and alone in my new house with OH away, and fed up of spending all my money on debt repayments. When i'm here on my own seeing people is so important, but i just can't afford to do it much, and i work such crazy hours and work so far away that making local friends is really hard. But i have loads of junk food in from when i thought they girls were staying over, so am going to go for a run and then settle down with a chickflick and some chocolate .

DTD
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,555Posts Today

6,787Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I believe I can boldly go where no twitter poll has gone before https://t.co/HA0jC92gAK

• OK I'm wilting to public pressure and there will be a star trek captain's poll at some point next week

• I can get that. My order is 1. Picard 2. Janeway 3. Kirk. Too early to say where Lorca will end up (or would you? https://t.co/kawtCOe9RA

• Follow Martin