Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 22nd Apr 17, 8:48 PM
    • 176Posts
    • 490Thanks
    DaringToDream
    DaringToDream of a Debt Free Life!
    • 22nd Apr 17, 8:48 PM
    DaringToDream of a Debt Free Life! 22nd Apr 17 at 8:48 PM
    So here goes with a shiny new diary. I had one previously but seeing that i hadnít posted for years and my circumstances have massively changed (new job, new house, different (but not that new) partner), it seemed sensible to start afresh.

Iíve been a diary stalker (in a healthy way) for years, and a few of you have really helped and inspired me over the past few months. In particular- Bobarella, Louby, Poor Single Lady, Coastal Chick, Mummy2Girls- thank you!!!

I have debt, and as hard as it is admitting it myself, have been in debt since i graduated uni almost 10 years ago. This includes still being in my student overdraft (which is thankfully still interest free) which is something iím not proud of.

So i have a few debt goals to keep me focused:

Goal 1) Pay of student overdraft by end of July 2017 (10 years after i graduated!!!) This one may actually slip a bit depending on how well i do with other debts as the first £1000 is currently interest free so it makes sense to throw this money at other debts first, but paying it off is my goal, or at least reducing it before the interest free level drops to £500 at the end of July.

Goal 2) Pay off ccís

Goal 3) Save to pay off my car finance. Itís currently sitting at £11,200. I stupidly took it out on PCP and what a stupid decision - totally think this is the next misselling scandal. I paid off a lump sum thinking i could keep my monthly payments the same and just reduce my balloon payment, but apparently this isnít allowed, so of the £120 i now pay each month, £110 is interest and only £10 capital repayment , so this loan has to go ASAP. Unfortunately the balloon payment is £11000 so itíll take me a while to save this up, but i reckon if i can get close-ish i can get a 0% card or lower interest loan and pay it off and save paying so much interest. I commute a minimum of 300 miles a week though so a comfortable and reliable car is a must- just need to pay it off.

That's probably long enough for an opening post. Will post more debt details below.

DTD xx
Page 10
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 13th Jan 18, 7:41 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Eat from the freezer, not eat the freezer- it's been a long week
    Total Debt Paid: £562.6 / £16062.60 (3.5% debt gone)
    Holiday fund £1400/ £1400
    Holiday Spends £57/ £250
    • Poor_Single_lady
    • By Poor_Single_lady 14th Jan 18, 12:03 PM
    • 1,199 Posts
    • 4,674 Thanks
    Poor_Single_lady
    Hi Daring to Dream.
    Good luck with the weight watchers. I really enjoyed the meetings but struggled a lot. It does work for a lot of people. Think I need to do more moving and drink less really.
    Pleased you have a holiday booked. It will do you good.
    2017- 5 credit cards plus loan
    Overdraft And 1 credit card paid off.

2018 plans - reduce debt
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 14th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Thanks PSL. I've only joined online because the meeting times don't really work for me, but it's going ok so far. Aiming to lose a stone in 8 weeks which should be doable at 1-2 pounds a week, mainly so i can wear a bikini on holiday for the first time in years (last time in a bikini was on my last holiday 4 years ago!!). It's crazy how many points are in some of the processed foods though- i accidentally picked up 'full fat' ribena instead of sugar free and a single glass is 1/5 of my daily points-eek! Even if all else fails though i've definitely eaten more fruit and veg, and it's probably the first time in weeks (if not months ) i've got my 5 a day, so that can only help with all the easy flu bugs around at the moment!

On course for a NSD today which is good. Got yoga tonight and then need to get myself ready for a busy week- 2 pilates classes, 1 dinner out with the girls and 3 days working in London. Is it bad i'm counting down to next Friday already?

DTD xx
    Holiday Spends £57/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 15th Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Decent day today, had to spend £6.72 on a book of 2nd class stamps to finally post the last of the thank you cards (can't believe how expensive stamps have got- remember when they were 19p each!!). Also spent £2.15 on a coffee because needed to do a bit of admin (job applications so had to be out of the office) over lunch and the only place i could sit down required you to purchase a drink .

Diet going ok, first weigh in today and 3lb down which is a good start, although likely all water retention. Will keep plodding this week and see how i do. Was saving my points for dinner with the girls on Wednesday, and had arranged to work in London especially, but now they have cancelled. Good for money and diet but hate it when people are so flaky, i'm not sure they realise quite how frustrating it is to plan to be somewhere when you don't live or permanently work there, only for people to cancel . Oh well, will think of the money and diet saving!

Going to be a fairly busy week but mostly already paid for so will hopefully be able to keep the spends to a minimum. Tomorrow is my first day in London since i started the diet so i'll see how i do when i have to eat all my food out!!

Got some money tracking on prolific so up to £12.00, and a 12 auctions live on eb*y, one with 10 watchers so fingers crossed for some sales to offset the giant car bill on Friday!!

DTD x
    Holiday Spends £57/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 17th Jan 18, 7:05 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Morning- nearly half way through the week although this week seems to be dragging along very slowly!!

Spent £1.19 over my expenses allowance yesterday so although not an NSD notvterrible, just got to wait for the expenses claim to track. Back in London today again so will be another day on expenses so not horrendous, unless the girls change their mind and decide that our girly dinner dinner is back on (they're great friends but so flaky when it comes to organising anything!!).

Managed to stay on points with the diet, eating loads more fruit and veg so feeling a lot healthier, although still belly is still getting used to being a bit hungrier! Need to get some food in today because the fridge is actually empty. Although I paid a little bit for the WW sign up I think this diet will actually save me money because all my meals are planned so there's no popping out to get things, and there's no treats or takeaways either. Hoping to get a run in later but my knee is still playing up so might not happen, we'll see.

eBay sales finish on Friday, and prolific is up to £12. Have decided that I'm gonna save all my prolific money for beauty treats before holiday. Need my roots done and want a spray tan coz it's so long since my body saw the sun I'm practically luminous. If i can afford it I'd like to have my nails done too. If I save up a treat fund from prolific then that will hopefully offset some of it and I won't feel so bad about spending money on myself!

DTD xx
    Holiday Spends £57/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 17th Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    God, was that message written this morning- seems like an ages ago!!

Just in the train home from work now, dinner with the girls was uncancelled so worked a bit late and then wait for food. Luckily the place we wanted to go was full so we ended up getting pizza wine and chocolate and heading back to my friends flat for dinner instead. My contribution was the dessert- so total spends for the day we're £6.80 so nowhere near as bad as they could have been! The fridge is absolutely empty though so will have to go to the late shop on the way home from the station and get milk and lunch for tomorrow.

Dinner blew the WW budget a bit but used some of my weekly points for a small glass of wine, few slices of oven pizza and some chocolate so not the end of the world. Thank god I was driving though coz with the day I've had I could easily have had a few more glasses of wine!

Hopefully a quieter end to the week, exercise class tomorrow and then a chilled weekend planned (hopefully) xx
    Holiday Spends £57/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 19th Jan 18, 10:47 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    Day of ups and downs today. Spent £46 on food which was a lot (why is healthy food so much more expensive). I did
    Get enough to do a bit of batch cooking though so should last me a while! Also spent £42 signing up to a half marathon. Need a goal and I've not done a proper event in a while, so time to push myself a bit more!

In better news the car was in the garage, and I was told it needed some work doing that would cost £280. When I went and picked it up they said it was a mistake and that it was all covered under the service plan- woo hoo!!

Got a job offer and accepted it today. Not going to start for a few months but is a lot more commuting spends for no more salary so will need to reign things in tighter. Will impact on debt busting but worth it to get away from current horrible job!

Chilled weekend planned. Need to run, keep on the healthy eating plan, sleep, and catch up on housework. Rock and roll

DTD x
    Holiday Spends £57/ £250
    • DaringToDream
    • By DaringToDream 20th Jan 18, 11:28 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 490 Thanks
    DaringToDream
    So some news today, and i've spent the morning putting my finances in place to allow it. Until i can start new job i'm taking time off work, nominally as study leave for my uni work (this has been booked in a while and the prospect of it is literally the only thing that has kept me going), but also to protect my mental health because horrible job is really sucking the life out of me. Having seen other colleagues get seriously ill from stress and depression due to the job, i can see work is making me go the same way, and i'm definitely not myself, so i need to nip it in the bud. So 9 weeks unpaid leave (although 4 will be paid from saved holiday pay and flexi) to decompress, and then will hopefully start straight into new job refreshed and raring to go! Only 7 days left in horrible job to get through.

So- have spent this morning plotting finances- Have been accepted for a 0% cc for 31 months, as seen in the MSE email. This also comes with associated points from the supermarket we do our shopping in, so that will be handy! Plan is to pay uni tuition fees (saved for) and other necessary spends on the card to protect my savings and give me a cash buffer while i'm not earning. The other benefit of this is that my savings will continue to accrue interest so i'll actually end up making (a little bit of) money. Then once study leave is over and i'm back full time earning, i will either continue to pay off the minimum and then pay the rest to savings to offset the card but maximise savings interest during the 0% period, or i'll start overpaying the card to get it gone- thoughts?

I'm also going to switch my current account to get a switching bonus, and better savings rates, but will wait until pay day because i have a few dd's out in the next few days that i don't want to mess up!

So all is looking positive. Sticking to diet so need to be good ahead of my weigh in on Monday. Otherwise a quiet weekend planned! Hope the weather is better out there in diary land than it is here!

DTD xx
    Holiday Spends £57/ £250
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

210Posts Today

1,691Users online

Martin's Twitter